GDT: Beanpot 2014

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Why does this tournament still have prestige when one team wins it every single year?

BU is still way out ahead in year's won and Northeastern and Harvard don't even come close to BU and BC's number of winning years.

It has prestige because it's a long-standing, traditional tournament in a college hockey heavy city. With the logic you are using, people could have been asking your question for the last 30 years, not just the last couple. I grew up watching UML every weekend with my father, and even though they're not a team that competed in the Beanpot tournament, watching that tournament is one of my earliest memories of becoming enamored with the sport. BC could win it 20 more years in a row and it's still a tournament I'd look forward to watching every year. If you ask me, that is what makes it prestigious.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
:laugh: The most penalized team in Hockey East and the 8th most penalized team in the nation somehow didn't commit a penalty tonight?

And you think the refs cost you the game? Nah bro. Your team got outplayed. Plain and simple.

Actually they got ****ed over on the scoreboard, plain and simple. 2 go ahead goals not counted.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
:laugh: The most penalized team in Hockey East and the 8th most penalized team in the nation somehow didn't commit a penalty tonight?

And you think the refs cost you the game? Nah bro. Your team got outplayed. Plain and simple.

they did take away a goal that by rule should have been taken away. however that rule needs to have more judgement in it.

but literally the refs were in the way of the puck, so while not biased, they did actually get in the way

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
BU is still way out ahead in year's won and Northeastern and Harvard don't even come close to BU and BC's number of winning years.

It has prestige because it's a long-standing, traditional tournament in a college hockey heavy city. With the logic you are using, people could have been asking your question for the last 30 years, not just the last couple. I grew up watching UML every weekend with my father, and even though they're not a team that competed in the Beanpot tournament, watching that tournament is one of my earliest memories of becoming enamored with the sport. BC could win it 20 more years in a row and it's still a tournament I'd look forward to watching every year. If you ask me, that is what makes it prestigious.

I don't know, you could see the talent discrepancy last night. one school has tier 1 recruits while the other was tier 2-3. I'm sure the tournament was more competitive when it was more local players making up these teams

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Actually they got ****ed over on the scoreboard, plain and simple. 2 go ahead goals not counted.

Missed the first one, but if the second goal you're referring to, is the one to start the 3rd on the breeak away, that puck never crossed the line. There was no way that was ever going to be called a goal, nor should it have.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I don't know, you could see the talent discrepancy last night. one school has tier 1 recruits while the other was tier 2-3. I'm sure the tournament was more competitive when it was more local players making up these teams

Again, BU has a dominant lead in the overall tournament, even after BC's fifth win in a row. The two of them tower over both NU and Harvard.

I've been watching hockey since the early 90's (born in '88) and the tournament has always been somewhat predictable. But part of what makes it great is that just maybe NU and Harvard could pull out something special one of these years (as they have before).

To sum up, don't ruin the fun! ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad