Langley, BC
I will always support this message.

bill_ted1.jpg

excellent post, dude

5MokO.gif

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I've always been curious if other arenas enforce this. Sounds like the Blues don't from the other poster.

I frankly hate this rule. Hockey is such an intense sport it's hard not to lean forward. Obviously you don't at SAP but it's always bugged me.

I have never seen this enforced elsewhere. These are the teams arena's I've been to: Islanders x2, Devils x2, Rangers, Bruins, Canadiens, Panthers, Lightning, and Blackhawks.

I like the design of the Shark tank but I agree it's very difficult to sit back in your seat during a hockey game.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Whether leaning forward is an issue depends on where your seats are. If your seats are toward the end of the straight sections of seating (e.g. around the FO dots in the offensive/defensive zones - 116 as an example) and are low, people who lean forward can block your view of the game. If you are directly behind the net, at center ice, or high it is not nearly as big a deal.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
Whether leaning forward is an issue depends on where your seats are. If your seats are toward the end of the straight sections of seating (e.g. around the FO dots in the offensive/defensive zones - 116 as an example) and are low, people who lean forward can block your view of the game. If you are directly behind the net, at center ice, or high it is not nearly as big a deal.

When I sat in 210 row 13 someone leaning forward could block 1/4 of the ice.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
How does a limit on height make the upper bowl steep. That's a width issue.

The footprint of the building is small since they have to keep it inside Santa Clara and Autumn Streets. Making it larger would take it closer to the street (I don't know what the building code is for how far it needs to be) and would likely eat into valuable and limited parking spaces. That combined with the height limit, as well as adding seats and boxes after construction had already begun, resulted in them cramming in as many seats as possible.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
The footprint of the building is small since they have to keep it inside Santa Clara and Autumn Streets. Making it larger would take it closer to the street (I don't know what the building code is for how far it needs to be) and would likely eat into valuable and limited parking spaces. That combined with the height limit, as well as adding seats and boxes after construction had already begun, resulted in them cramming in as many seats as possible.

I know they didn't want to eat parking spaces. My point is that it isn't because of airplanes.

Hold the Pickles

Aug 16, 2003
03-K64
The arena at the Tank is great, likely the best hockey experience from a visual perspective. The upper deck is much closer to the ice than other arena's. I saw a game at HBSC (Buffalo) and couldn't believe how far away I was.

The amenities and the choke zones in the concourse are my only real issues with the tank IMO. For me though, the visual experience Trumps everything else even the slightly cramped seats of the upper deck and such.

When the sharks eventually get a new arena, I hope they keep the current visual experience in mind.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Obviously wouldn't yell at kids, but if it's a bunch of adults standing around or expecting half of a row to stand up to let them get to their seats, they deserve to be barked at imo...sit on the steps until the next whistle or try not to leave during a period then. It's not impossible to plan around this type of stuff...I always do it. Not cool to do that to a couple of lost kids though :shakehead

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm in the Upper Bowl and the thing I hate the most is when people come up the steps and just stand there looking wonderously for something. Either move or go to your seat. I appreciate the don't go up until the stoppage of play rules, but most of the time they work but some of the time they don't.

As for the leaning forward, I get a few of those people in my section. A little pleasant "Can you lean back" goes a long way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad