OT: Be excellent to each other

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
Not sure how anyone else feels, or where this goes but I'm tired of seeing this type of behavior at every game.

Last night a confused and clearly lost teenager and her little sister were trying to find their way to their seats. Maybe 16 an 10 years old. They were higher up in the upper bowl, so it took them a bit longer to get there and they were still trying to find them as play started.

The crowd was merciless. SIT DOWN! THE GAME IS GOING ON! DOWN IN FRONT!

It was horrifying. Imagine being those two young girls. They clearly didn't know what they were doing, and multiple adults were yelling directly at them from a few rows away. Adults. Yelling at children.

These are individuals that go to many games. STH or package owners berating clearly non sth fans for their lack of knowledge on hockey etiquette. The frustration is understandable, but the sense of entitlement is unbelievable. It's as if nobody else paid to watch the game.

This behavior occurs at almost every game, but this was the worst yet.

Try to be understanding of other people's situations, be excellent to each other, and, as always, go sharks.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Well the best thing for them to do would probably sit in the aisle or something until the next stoppage. But you're right, they're just kids. Things like that happen when people get drinking at a game though.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
While I certainly don't like hearing children be yelled at, I do know that there are some people who are oblivious to common courtesy.

If you are an adult, standing up in the middle of play, and can't figure out where to go, you will and should get yelled at.

There are ALWAYS ushers there yo help. If you simply sat down until a whistle I'm absolutely sure someone would help.

We pay good money to watch games. It annoys me when a couple with drinks stands in my way for minutes on end trying to figure stuff out.

Again, sad story, but at the heart of things the people blocking views need to be a bit more considerate.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Don't adults yell at children all the time?

Anyway, as a STH for 8 years, I do empathize with new people who come to the arena. Finding your seats while the puck is in play and leaning forward (always controversial) are two "rules" that SAP needs to educate people on more. There's a reason why the fans are the ones who end up yelling/telling people about this, and that reason is SAP's inability to get that message to new visitors. A quick "in addition...refrain from leaning forward" and "please remain seated while the puck is in play" isn't enough. Sometimes they get the leaning part, but the puck in play doesn't necessarily translate to one who's thinking they're just trying to find their seats. The blue coats can help, but they don't by default. Sure they won't let you past them while in play, but they don't explain it (at least not well). I've told newbies in the past when they get a blank stare on their faces while we're waiting to get our seats.

So anyway, I'm the fan that can politely ask people that don't look like regulars. Not everyone (including my mom, but she's gotten better) has that same level of courtesy.

The crowd will not ever stop this behavior. People may individually stop, but then they will get replaced by newer regulars who will continue to bark. SAP needs to take initiative and have better communication with new visitors. Both of these are the most common reasons I see animosity towards fellow fans. Visiting team fans don't even get it as bad, unless they also don't know about arena educate.

Wedontneedroads

Jul 14, 2008
San Jose
You don't need to yell at people and berate them for not being able to get to their seats in time.

I know exactly where my seats are, and I can almost never get there between whistles unless it is a TV timeout. There just isn't enough time.

I will usually sit on the steps or some empty seats til the next whistle, but I think it's unfair to expect everyone to think like that.

Say something nicely instead of immediately going to 11.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm 2 rows from the top of the lower bowl on the aisle. A couple games ago a young couple, early 20's I'm guessing, got past the usher during play and asked me to let them by. I said not during play. They were besides themselves with thoughts of how rude I was being :laugh:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Blues fan here in peace.

Saw this thread on the "Recently posted" section and took a gander. Completely agree with OP. I have yelled at people before who stand up and don't move for a while or they get to their seat and for some reason still haven't put their wallet or money away and are juggling their money, nacho's, wallet and change all at the same time as if they didn't think they should have put that stuff away BEFORE walking to their seats. The ushers at Scottrade center even in the 300 level are very good at stopping people from walking around during play.

But when its kids and its obvious they aren't STH's I would never say a peep and I would probably yell back at anyone who did. That's way more rude than walking in front during play.

As far as leaning forward I guess it depends on the seat and I am a tall dude so it's very possible I have done this before. Luckily nobody has ever told me to lean back. If they did I would probably ignore them. Its not easy for me to sit still in one position for so long. Lean forward, lean back.... I don't get mad at people for doing it. Most of the time they don't do it the while game and they don't completely obstruct my view. Besides, I can lean left or right to see.

Anyways, hope you don't mind me invading your forum to add comments.

:cheers:

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Sharks need a new arena if leaning forward is a huge problem.

As of next year they will have the second oldest arena in the league*.

*If you do not count MSG as opening in 68 as they have had tons of major renovations.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
Sharks need a new arena if leaning forward is a huge problem.

I've always been curious if other arenas enforce this. Sounds like the Blues don't from the other poster.

I frankly hate this rule. Hockey is such an intense sport it's hard not to lean forward. Obviously you don't at SAP but it's always bugged me.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I've always been curious if other arenas enforce this. Sounds like the Blues don't from the other poster.

I frankly hate this rule. Hockey is such an intense sport it's hard not to lean forward. Obviously you don't at SAP but it's always bugged me.

In ottawa (atleast in lower 300's) leaning over does nothing with the view if anything it makes it better if the person in front of you is taller then you lol.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I understand the thinking behind the concept of how the arena was built. They went with a smaller arena in outside dimensions but still tried to fit as many sears they could inside.

Pretty much sacrificing luxury for size.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I understand the thinking behind the concept of how the arena was built. They went with a smaller arena in outside dimensions but still tried to fit as many sears they could inside.

Pretty much sacrificing luxury for size.

I believe this was mandated by the city because of the airport. The building was only allowed to be a certain height. That's what I recall anyway.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Some people can be real ****** at games.

I went to a Rangers vs Flyers playoff game in 2014 and this couple were there at MSG rooting for the Flyers. But they weren't obnoxious or anything -nice people actually- and you have a right to root for your team on the road.

But like a minute into the game this simpleton started a confrontation for literally no reason and it almost turned into a fist fight. The whole section butted in and I'm proud to say we stepped in on behalf of the visitors. When security came, we ratted out the Rangers fan and he got tossed.

But I've also seen plenty of morons at MSG and depending on who was in that section that night it could have gone very different.

How you treat other fans at the game is reflection on all of your teams fans, and therefore, your team. Have some pride in your crest and be nice to people.

I will say this: when I saw the Sharks at Barclays Center this season, Islanders fans were really great to me.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Blues fan here in peace.

Saw this thread on the "Recently posted" section and took a gander. Completely agree with OP. I have yelled at people before who stand up and don't move for a while or they get to their seat and for some reason still haven't put their wallet or money away and are juggling their money, nacho's, wallet and change all at the same time as if they didn't think they should have put that stuff away BEFORE walking to their seats. The ushers at Scottrade center even in the 300 level are very good at stopping people from walking around during play.

But when its kids and its obvious they aren't STH's I would never say a peep and I would probably yell back at anyone who did. That's way more rude than walking in front during play.

As far as leaning forward I guess it depends on the seat and I am a tall dude so it's very possible I have done this before. Luckily nobody has ever told me to lean back. If they did I would probably ignore them. Its not easy for me to sit still in one position for so long. Lean forward, lean back.... I don't get mad at people for doing it. Most of the time they don't do it the while game and they don't completely obstruct my view. Besides, I can lean left or right to see.

Anyways, hope you don't mind me invading your forum to add comments.

:cheers:
Visitors always welcome here, bro.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
I will always support this message.

bill_ted1.jpg

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I used to be much more of a hothead when I was young, and much more irritable. I'd always be more patient whenever kids were involved though.

I wouldn't yell at two lost kids who couldn't find their seats during play. I wouldn't scream at an adult doing it either, unless they just parked themselves in the middle of the aisle and stood there, waiting for a stoppage before they found their seat. If they stood there looking clueless about their seats for a few seconds, I might chuckle at them a little but, unless they were really young or very old. But I wouldn't open my mouth unless they stood there just waiting for play to stop before worrying about finding their seat. And I'm sure someone else would snap at them before I did. I'm usually pretty patient and someone else would probably get to them before I opened my mouth.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
I believe this was mandated by the city because of the airport. The building was only allowed to be a certain height. That's what I recall anyway.

This is correct. They also added seats and boxes after construction began so everything is really crammed in there. That's why the upper bowl is so steep.

I kinda like it in an old school way though, the players must feel like the crowd is right on top of them.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
This is correct. They also added seats and boxes after construction began so everything is really crammed in there. That's why the upper bowl is so steep.

I kinda like it in an old school way though, the players must feel like the crowd is right on top of them.

How does a limit on height make the upper bowl steep. That's a width issue.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
It's probably both. You can't really get good sight lines if you only go out straight vertically or horizontally. Gotta go diagonally.

The ice is actually below ground. They could have done it any way they wanted. They simply wanted to save money. Every extra foot up or in width is probably millions in concrete alone. Plus you start losing parking space ($$$).

Don't get me wrong. I love the Tank and I think it still holds up well today, which is really quite a feat. It's better than some modern arena's from what I hear.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
It's great for an 80's/early 90's style arena. Many others built in the same era were uglier and haven't held up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad