BE A GM Thread - Part II (NHL 16/NHL 15/whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I'm not even going to bother with my lineup like I said I would. I simmed another season and after a 56 win season, 100 Off 94 Def 88 Goalie and 89 team chemistry I got swept in the 1st round while only scoring a combined 4 goals. Meanwhile in the regular season I was winning games scoring 6-9 goals.

I shut it off pretty quickly after that. I'm done playing until NHL 17 comes out.

this is my template for most of my teams... juggernaut offense, good enough defense, ok goalie. almost always happens that my offense falters in the first round and i lose

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
New York Rangers Be A GM Mode

images

GM Preview

*EACH DIFFERENT TOPIC WILL BE HIGHLIGHTED IN A DIFFERENT COLOR*

All moves (to date) that would impact the natural flow of the GM have been made. That would include deals like Subban-Weber, Backes signing in Boston, and Brett Connolly signing in Boston. With newly signed deals, since NHL16 is a year behind, I've added an extra year to the contracts, so 5 years becomes 6. Unfortunately with the 8 year contracts I cannot ewxtend to 9 years so they are stuck at 8.

I have taken the courtesy of buying out Dan Girardi prior to the GM mode (releasing him into free agency), and adding the buyout cost onto Lundqvist's contract (2.125M, AAV of Buyout Cap Hit) http://www.generalfanager.com/buyouts/1376

I have edited prospects potentials, such as Christian Dvorak, Mithc Marner, William Nylander, and more. Also I have edited players in the 2016 drafts, potentials. Up and down like Patrik Laine, Jesse Pulujarvi (UP), Pascal LaBerge, Sam Steel (DOWN).

I will be using a yes/no generator to find out if a player would like to return to the team or not. (Giving credit where credit is due, thank you DanielPalfredsson for the idea.)

I will make players contracts using comparables to real life. An 88 overall who put up 30 points but wants 6M can go to free agency...but an 83 overall who put up 60 points and wants 3M will get paid more. ***THEREFORE I WILL NOT BE USING THE 0,85 RULE.***

I will not scam computers, like trading for a terrible teams draft pick, unless it's at the draft and on trading block. I will make trades fairly. Also, if I am selling players, I will send them to playoff contenders, because those would be the teams who would realistically want rentals, or extended rentals (1 and 1/2 year left on deal).

I have created Rangers prospects Pavel Buchnevich and Cristoval "Boo" Nieves. Buhcnevich is an 82 High Top 6F (Playmaker), and Nieves is a 73 Medium Top 6F (2 Way Forward).

• Authentic Cap Penalties: ON
  • Injuries: ON
  • Salary Cap: ON (duh)
  • Trade Difficulty: Medium
  • Waivers: ON

Next Post: 2015-2016 NHL Season!

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

images

2015-2016 NHL Season

Season Preview

Heading into the 2015-2016 NHL season the Rangers were projected to have around 3.000M in cap space. But following the burying of Tanner Glass in the minors, and the buyout of Dan Girardi, their cap space jumped up to 7.615M.

~ At the start of the preseason, the Rangers lines looked like this:
LW | C | RW
Kreider 85 | Stepan 87 | Nash 88
Miller 84 | Brassard 86 | Zuccarello 86
Buchnevich 82 | Hayes 84 | Grabner 83
Gerbe 81 | Jooris 81 | Fast 81
Lindberg 80

LD | RD
McDonagh 90 | Klein 84
Staal 85 | Clendening 82
Holden 82 | McIlrath 80
Skjei 81

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 93 | Raanta 82

The New York Rangers NHL roster looked considerably weaker than years past so this newly found cap space had to be spent somewhere. New GM Brant King was looking and strengthening the Right side of his defense and possibly his 4th line. Also, with Brady Skjei not able to get a full time role just yet, they would like a depth defenseman so Skjei can get top-pairing minutes in the minors.

images

September 23rd, 2015
Player | OVR | Age | Years | AAV
Jared Cowen | 84 | 24 | 1 | 2.500M

This move is a smart first one by GM Brant King. Signing Jared Cowen to a cheap, prove it deal allows the versatile Nick Holden to slide to the right side. Also, this was a much cheaper alternative to signing James Wisniewski.

images

September 27th, 2015
Player | OVR | Age | Years | AAV
Radim Vrbata | 84 | 34 | 1 | 2.600M
Carl Colaiacovo | 80 | 32 | 2 | .800M

Radim Vrbata got a redeem yourself deal, just like Thomas Vanek. Both forwards are nown for their offensive prowess, but neither scored last season. Colaiacovo is a depth D-man. This allows Dylan McIlrath to also fall down to the AHL and form a formidable first pairing with Brady Skjei.

~ After King's first moves as a GM the New York Rangers lines looked like this:

LW | C | RW
Kreider 85 | Stepan 87 | Nash 88
Buchnevich 82 | Hayes 84 | Vrbata 84
Grabner 83 | Jooris 81 | Fast 81
Gerbe 81 | Lindberg 80 |

LD | RD
McDonagh 90 | Klein 84
Staal 85 | Clendening 82
Cowen 84 | Holden 82
Colaiacovo 80 |

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 93 | Raanta 82

First half in Review

New York Rangers
Record | Home | Away | Division | Conference | NHL | Playoffs?
22-12-7 | 10-7-5 | 12-5-2 | 2nd | 4th | 7th | Yes

Top 5 Scorers
Player | Goals | Assists | Points
Rick Nash | 16 | 18 | 34
Derek Stepan | 11 | 21 | 32
J.T Miller | 11 | 16 | 27
Derick Brassard | 9 | 18 | 27
Kevin Hayes | 6 | 20 | 26
Chris Kreider | 6 | 20 | 26

Goalies
Goalie | Record | SV% | GAA
Henrik Lundqvist | 18-11-4 | .917 SV% | 2.48 GAA
Antti Raanta | 3-1-3 | .908 SV% | 2.69 GAA
MacKenzie Skapski | 1-0-0 | .917 SV% | 2.00 GAA

The Rangers rebounded after a terrible start to the season which seen them go 0-5-1 to come all the way to within 9 points of the Presidents' Trophy lead. Their offense has been above average, but Hank and the goaltending has been disappointing.

Despite shopping Marc Staal for the past few months, GM Brant King has officially taken him off the market:

We like what Marc brings to the table. His offensive production is down, but that's not why we have him here. He's a shutdown, experienced, leader; which is the type of player we want to keep here on our team, and hopefully have retire as a Rangers.​

Pavel Buchnevich has 25 points (17-8) which is 4th among all rookies behind Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel and Artemi Panarin. He leads all rookies with 17 goals and is only 4 points off the lead in points.

At the Trade Deadline, the Rangers are rumored to be looking for an Elite D-man and a Top 6 winger. Here are some players that could be available:

images

Mike Hoffman and Erik Karlsson. Mike Hoffman is a scoring winger that is young and quikc, something every NHL loves to have. The Rangers may be in tough to acquire the young budding star because of their lack or first and second round picks.

Erik Karlsson is arguably the games best defensman. There are knocks on his defensive awareness but he's an offensive d-man so it's not a huge deal. With his superstar status you would thin k Ottawa would do anything to keep him but they are a budget team so they may not have enough funds to keep him. He may be easier to acquire next season when he would be a rental. That being said, the Rangers would be in tough to keep him beyond this contract as they do not have nearly enough cap space.

images

Daniel Sedin. Daniel Sedin is an aging offensive juggernaut who may be searching for a cup before he is forced to retire from the game, and heck, where better to come than the place where all the old players go to get the shot? Daniel is not like many burnt out greybeards way past their scoring days, he still has term on his deal, and he can still product at a high level.

Trade Deadline

Statement from Radim Vrbata:

I am so very grateful that New York gave me a chance to get my career back on track. I would like to remain with the club for as long as they see fit.​

The Rangers stood pat at the Trade Deadline....WHAT?!?!?!?!

After the Trade Deadline the Rangers found themselves 4th in the Division and out of a playoff spot.

Season Recap

New York Rangers
44-29-9 | 23-13-5 | 21-16-4 | 3rd | 7th | 11th | Yes

Top 5 Scorers
Rick Nash | 33 | 32 | 65
Derick Brassard | 20 | 39 | 59
Derek Stepan | 17 | 41 | 58
J.T Miller | 21 | 35 | 56
Mats Zuccarello | 13 | 41 | 54

Goalies
Henrik Lundqvist | 37-22-6 | .923 SV% | 2.31 GAA
Antti Raanta | 6-8-3 | .902 SV% | 2.99 GAA
MacKenzie Skapski | 1-0-0 | .917 SV% | 2.00 GAA

Next Post: 2015-2016 NHL Playoffs and 2016 NHL Offseason!

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

H2gw03b.jpg

SEASON 2 (2017-2018)

MISSED SEASON 1? CLICK HERE TO READ IT!

PAST SEASON 2 EPISODES
1-OFF SEASON PREVIEW
2-2017 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
3-2017 FREE AGENT FRENZY
4-OTTAWA SENATORS 2017 SEASON PREVIEW
5-S02E01
6-S02E02
7-S02E03
8-S02E04
9-S02E05

montourDL031615header.jpg

Confirmed Trade With Link [OTT/ANA] Reto Berra+Reilly Pickard+2019 4th for Brandon Montour+2018 2nd
It has been widely speculated that the Senators were waiting for the opportune time to sell off Reto Berra and retain some of the assets they gave up for him. With Gibson suffering a potential long term injury, and Anaheim holding the top spot in the West, the Senators found their opportunity.

The Senators acquired bottom pairing RHD Brandon Montour. Montour had a huge season in the AHL last year with 54 points in 66 games but has found himself stuck as a healthy scratch in the NHL, and with his contract not being waiver exempt and him being last in the depth chart, Anaheim would risk losing him to waivers if they kept him. Half way through the season he has only played 3 games in the NHL.

“We think he can play a big role here, be the puck mover on our bottom pairing with Claesson or Boro. He wasn't going to get that shot in Anaheim. He's a great offensive player, and our powerplay will benefit from this acquisition.”-GMDP on Montour.

While the Senators gave up two minor assets in unsigned prospect Reilly Pickard and next year's fourth round pick, they got back Anaheim's second for the upcoming draft. With only one pick in the first three rounds, this was said to be a priority. Anaheim's second is projected to be in the final few picks of the round.​

:sabres
OTTAWA (17-14-0) VS BUFFALO (16-11-7)
@BruceGarrioch-”Montour will play on the 2nd PP unit with Phaneuf. Ottawa trying Ceci and Karl together on the top PP despite them both being right handers.”
@BruceGarrioch-”Changes to the bottom 6. Gemel Smith returned to Binghamton after 2 games. McCormick-Pageau-Nelson third line/Perron-Lazar-Robinson as the fourth.

The Senators face off against Stamkos and the Sabres. The Sabres are first in the Atlantic, while the Senators are trying to put together a string of wins in order to climb back into a playoff spot.

Bishop starts tonight. Senators get widely outshot 13-5 in the first period, but exceptional play by Bishop keeps them in the game.

Second period, on the powerplay Stamkos opens up the scoring. 1-0 BUF.

Montour makes an immediate impact on the Senators. With the second powerplay unit out, Montour sets up Phaneuf for a bomb from the point. The game is tied 1-1.

We go into the third with Buffalo still outshooting Ottawa but a Francis Perron goal puts the Senators up 2-1.

The Sabres powerplay strikes again with a ROR goal that ties the game 2 all. With both teams unable to settle things, we head to overtime.

The Sabres manage to get 40 shots on net by the end of the overtime, but Bishop is in his zone. He carries the Senators past OT and into a shootout. The shootout lasts 7 rounds, and with a Foligno goal, the Sabres defeat the Senators 3-2.

Bishop had a huge game with a .950svp, while Perron scored his 3rd goal of the season.​

:bolts
OTTAWA (17-14-1) VS TAMPA BAY (14-15-4)
The Lightning are struggling in the Atlantic division. With only 32 points, they are the only team behind the 7th place Senators who have 35. A win tonight could put Ottawa within a point of a wild card spot.

First period, Sens go on the powerplay early but cannot capitalize. A Brock Nelson ES goal gives Ottawa a 1-0 lead while a late 1st period Turris goal brings that lead up to 2-0 going into the second.

Ottawa continues to fail on the powerplay. In a competitive second period, neither team scores.

With Tampa outshooting Ottawa nearly 30-20, a Boyle goal early in the third brings the game within 1, 2-1 Ottawa.

The Sens aren't done yet, Pageau and Reinhart both score and Tampa looks disinterested in trying to close the gap. Ottawa win 4-1 while many questions remain unanswered for the struggling Lightning.

Brock Nelson whose name has been perpetually floated in trade rumours all season had a huge 3 point game. Bishop looks to have returned to his early season form as he had another huge night with a .971svp.​

:pens
OTTAWA (18-14-1) VS PITTSBURGH (24-9-1)
@BruceGarrioch-”Sens have won 3 of their last 4, no changes to the lineup, and surprisingly Bishop will start in this back to back.”

The Senators will continue to lean heavily on Ben Bishop as they look to capture their 9th out of a possible 10 points in the last 5 games with a win over the defending cup champion Pittsburgh Penguins.

First period and things aren't going well for Ottawa. Raffl and former Senator Erik Condra both score early to put Pittsburgh up 2-0.

With two more goals scored in the first period, Pittsburgh are up 4-0. The play by play commentators openly question whether Bishop is suffering from the huge workload the Senators have thrust upon him and whether Hogberg should have started tonight.

The Senators come out in the second looking to make a comeback. They outshoot the Penguins and manage to put a Lazar goal on the board by the end of the period. 4-1.

Former Senator Chris Wideman sticks it to Ottawa with a goal in the third. The game then gets out of hand and ultimately Pittsburgh win 7-2.

Ottawa had 39 shots on goal but didn't get the support they needed to compete in net tonight. Bishop was pulled half way through the game after allowing 4 goals on 22 shots, but Hogberg was no better as he allowed 3 goals on only 11 shots.

Ceci had a 2 point night while Brock Nelson continues to entice pro scouts of rival teams with his hot streak. He had a point tonight.​

:panthers
OTTAWA (18-15-1) @ FLORIDA (17-17-3)
@IanMendes-”No major changes to Ottawa's lineup. Hogberg will start in goal tonight.”

First period, Hogberg gets a rare start after the fiasco against Pittsburgh. He has a solid first period only allowing 1 goal on 12 shots. A Stone goal allows Ottawa to end the first with the game tied 1-1.

Second period action, Perron scores his fourth of the season while Stone adds a PP goal for his second of the night. Despite being outshot 18-12, Ottawa are up 3-1. Florida fumbles a powerplay opportunity and Brandon Montour scores a backhander for his first goal as a Senator. 4-1 Ottawa.

We go into a third period where the Senators continue to dominate. Aldo Montoya allows a Turris goal and the Senators go on to defeat Florida 5-1.

Hogberg has a very good night, only allowing a single goal on 25 shots. Stone had 2 goals while Nelson continues to produce since being paired with Pageau on the third line. He had a point on the evening.​

79632d17-8426-40a8-9fea-72b2ac8f6455_JDX-1x1_WEB.jpg

BREAKING: CURTIS LAZAR SUFFERS CONCUSSION
Ottawa Senators forward Curtis Lazar suffered a major concussion in the Dec 30th game against Florida. Lazar is expected to miss at least a month of action, and won't return until some time in February.

Lazar could miss an upwards of 20 games.

Colin White has been recalled from Binghamton and will return to the fourth line spot that he occupied prior to being sent down. Sebastian Collberg who has been sitting in the press box for a majority of the season is likely to figure into the lineup as well.

With the Senators previously sending White down due to poor play in the NHL, will they consider shopping for a centre via trade?​

:cbj
OTTAWA (19-15-1) @ COLUMBUS (11-21-4)
@BruceGarrioch-”No major changes to the lineup. Bishop back in net.”

The Sens are gaining momentum, and they have a chance to add another win to their record against a bottom feeding Columbus squad. They can't take them lightly though as Bobrovsky is known to steal games.

Surprisingly Hogberg is in net. Bishop was supposed to start, could this be a greater goalie controversy or did GMDP get up to do something and forget to change the goalie in the line change menu before simming this game?

We have a goalie battle on our hands. With Columbus outshooting Ottawa 15-14 going into the third period, neither team can score. It is 0-0.

Early in the third, Columbus finally solve Hogberg with a Steve Downie goal. 1-0 CBJ.

The Sens can't get one passed Bobrovsky. Again, he steals a game against the Senators. CBJ win 1-0.

Hogberg had a great game with a .960 save percentage.​

:coyotes
OTTAWA VS ARIZONA
@PhillipsMustache-”Mark Stone was critical of himself in an interview with TSN 1200 earlier today. Only has 15 points in 36 games. We believe in your Stoney!”
@BruceGarrioch-”Ben Bishop starting for real this time. No other changes in the lineups.”
@IanMendes-”I hear Ottawa is looking for a veteran grinder type to play in the bottom 6. The Sens appear to be talking to NYI, CHI, and TB. Hearing names like Z.Smith, Hossa, and Callahan have all been thrown around.”

The Sens are a point out of the final wild card spot. Arizona is one of the worst teams in the league, and the Senators need to capitalize on this opportunity at an easy 2 points.

Spooner scores a short handed goal early in the game to give Ottawa a 1-0 lead.

After only being in the lineup as a result of an injury to Lazar, Colin White scores to put Ottawa up 2-0. A Jiri Sekac goal brings Arizona within 1. 2-1 Ottawa to end the period.

In the second period, Arizona outshoot Ottawa 25-19, but a Ryan Dzingel goal gives Ottawa a cushy two goal lead. 3-1 Ottawa.

Bishop has a strong third period and despite launching 33 shots on net, the Coyotes cannot score more than 1 time. Ottawa wins 3-1.

Karlsson has a strong game with 2 points while Bishop is the first star with a .970 save percentage.​

:sens
INJURY REPORT: BROCK NELSON SORE HIP
Brock Nelson suffered a hip injury during last night's game against Arizona. He'll likely miss the next 3-4 games. Healthy scratch Buddy Robinson will dress and play on the third line with Pageau and Perron.​

:kings
OTTAWA (20-16-1) @ LA (13-21-5)
@SomeKingsBeatWriter-”Kopitar was asked some tough questions today but said he had no excuses for Las terrible first half of the season. LA sit second last in the conference after being the best team in the league last season.”
@BruceGarrioch-”Buddy Robinson was said to be excited at getting an opportunity to play a bigger role on the team with Nelson and Lazar both out. Will likely get the biggest minutes of his career tonight on the third line. Bishop to start despite it being a back 2 back.”

The Senators have another “easy” opponent here. Can they get another two points?

First period action, the Kings won't make it easy for Ottawa. Gaborik and Clifford both beat Bishop to give LA an early 2-0 lead.

Someone contain this man, Gaborik has shown up tonight. With his second goal of the game LA end the third up by 3.

Captain Karlsson! Karlsson apparently gave a big speech in between periods. He is fired up and gets Ottawa's first goal of the night on the PP. LA still up 3-1.

The Senators are having a monster second period. Everything is clicking. Dzingel and Drouin both score to tie the game 3-3. All of a sudden, we have a hockey game on our hands.

Third period, Karlsson comes out again and scores his second of the game. Ottawa take their first lead of the night at 4-3.

Things aren't over yet. Nick Shore scores for LA and we have a 4-4 tie going into the dying minutes of the game.

The Senators get some huge powerplay opportunities but cannot capitalize. As a result we head to an OT period where with only 2:25 left Due Doughty beats Bishop to give LA a 5-4 lead.

In a high scoring game, Ottawa walks out with a point. Turris and Karlsson both had multi-point nights, but it wasn't enough.​

:sharks
OTTAWA (20-16-2) @ SAN JOSE (20-19-2)
@PhillipsMustache-”Am I dreaming or are the Sens third in the Atlantic?”
@SanJosePress-”Logan Couture reinventing himself as an elite goal scorer with 20 goals already. Read more here.”

With the Senators gaining momentum and sitting third in the Atlantic, they'll face off against the SJ Sharks who sit 2nd in their own division.

First period, Ottawa kill a San Jose power play. Neither team can score and we end the first tied 0-0.

Drouin breaks the shutout in the second to put Ottawa up 1-0.

San Jose go into the third period outshooting Ottawa 23-16 but an early 3rd period Pageau goal brings Ottawa's lead up to 2-0.

The game isn't over yet, Ben Burns beats Bishop, and SJ is within 1.

Despite outshooting Ottawa 34-29, San Jose cannot beat Bishop a second time. Ottawa win 2-1. Ben Bishop has another huge game with a .971 save percentage.​

:nhl
10 THOUGHTS
1-Ben Bishop's return from injury has rejuvenated the Senators. Bishop is an astounding 14-5 with a .918 save percentage and 2 shutouts. After talk about Ottawa missing the playoffs and possibly making some major changes, they now sit third in the Atlantic division with 44 points. Buffalo and Boston both have a sizeable lead in the 1/2 spots with 51 points each.

2-Ottawa is getting involved in trade talks with numerous teams. Chicago are shopping Hossa as they have less than 100k in space on the cap going forward, but his 5.3M cap hit might prevent Ottawa from being able to fit him in. Ottawa apparently wants a veteran with a great physical/defensive game to play with Pageau and take their third line to the next level. TB who are having an awful year apparently wouldn't be opposed to moving Callahan, but at almost 33 years old, he has 3 years left at nearly 6M per. Lastly, the Senators have been talking to the Islanders about former Senators Zack Smith who after being acquired by NYI at last year's trade deadline is struggling with only 8 points on the season. Smith might cost the Senators Anaheim's 2nd round pick and a bottom 6 NHLer like Buddy Robinson.

3-The Senators are apparently very happy with the play of Spooner who is on pace for 50 points and conceivably could have hit 60 or more had he started the year in Ottawa. Spooner has another season left on his deal before becoming a UFA, but Ottawa can approach him on July 1st in order to gauge his interest in signing an extension. With Brett Howden and Sam Steel being a few years away, the Senators would probably lean towards a 2-3 year deal which would allow Spooner to be a stop gap until one of the two high end C prospects are ready. If Spooner wants a long term deal, the Senators might have to think long and hard about it.

4-Teams are calling about Colin White. Although White could be converted to wing, if he doesn't show some progress soon, he might be the odd man out long term in Ottawa between him, Howden, Steel, Pageau, Lazar, and Turris. If the Senators don't forsee him developing into a top 6 forward, now would be the time to capitalize on his value. He only has 5 points so far in nearly 30 NHL games this season.

5-After a bad start to the season, Kyle Turris has heated up and now has 13 goals and 31 points in 39 games. This has been credited internally to moving Drouin off of his line. It took the Senators two seasons, but they've finally figured out that Drouin and Turris don't have chemistry. Right now, Ryan Dzingel has been playing on the Smith/Turris line.

6-Speaking of Turris, the Senators have fielded a wide array of calls on him. He wants to stay in Ottawa, but teams are still trying to see if he can be pried away from the Senators. EDM who sit a few points out of a wild card spot are desperate to get over the hump and apparently called to gauge interest in a deal around Turris+another major asset for Auston Matthews. The 2016 2nd overall pick is not living up to expectations in Edmonton. He only had 31 points last year, and is on pace for less than that this year with 12 so far in 40 games. Like most teams, the Senators would take a crack at Matthews, even with his poor performance thus far, but not at the cost of their best forward and another big asset. If Turris wasn't interested in re-signing, that might have changed things.

7-Gabriel Gagne is a name to watch out for. The 21 year old powerforward has 14 points in 28 games so far in the AHL, but most of all the Senators are said to be impressed with his development. The 2015 2nd round pick looks like he could one day be a top 6 forward in the NHL.

8-There's a debate internally whether to keep Brock Nelson. Initially, the Senators were going to trade the upcoming RFA, but his recent play up until getting injured was fantastic. With Ottawa winning games, they may want to at least hold off until the draft to trade his rights away. Pittsburgh is very interested in Nelson, as are a few other teams.

9-With Anaheim's second round pick, the Senators apparently like RW TWF Quinn Benjafield. Derek Gentile who is expected to be available in the 4th or 5th round has also caught their attention. He is a undersized playmaking centre on the Ramparts who is having an impressive season offensively.​

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

images

2015-2016 NHL Playoffs and 2016 NHL Offseason

images

In the first round of the NHL Playoffs the Rangers got a matchup against the 2nd seeded (Metro Division) Flyers. Here is your series preview:

~ Head to head: The teams played 4 times. The Flyers had a record of 3-1 while the Rangers had a record of 1-2-1.

~ Leading scorer: NYR = Rick Nash (33-32-65)
PHI = Claude Giroux (27-59-86)
~ Starting Goalie: NYR = Henrik Lundqvist (37-22-6; .923 SV%; 2.31 GAA)
PHI = Steve Mason (19-15-3; .932 SV%; 2.06 GAA)
PHI = Michael Neuvirth (23-11-1; .925 SV%; 2.29 GAA)

~ #NYR Lines :

LW | C | RW
Zuccarello 86| Brassard 86 | Nash 88
Kreider 85 | Stepan 88 | Hayes 84
Buchnevich 83 | Miller 84 | Vrbata 84
Fast 82 | Jooris 82 | Grabner 83
Gerbe 81 | Lindberg 80 |

LD | RD
McDonagh 90 | Klein 84
Staal 85 | Holden 82
Cowen 84 | Clendening 82
Colaiacovo 80 |

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 94 | Raanta 82

Round 1 vs. Philadelphia
Game | Score | NYR Goals | Goalie | Game Notes
1 | 2-1 PHI | Zuccarello (1) | Lundqvist (.950 SV%) (2.03 GAA) |
2 | 3-2 PHI | Brassard (1), Grabner (1) | Lundqvist (.906 SV%) (3.06 GAA) | Reunited Step-Nash-Kreids line, placed Vrbata on line with Brass&Zucc
3 | 3-1 NYR | Nash (1), Buchnevich (1), Kreider (1) | Lundqvist (.960 SV%) (1.00 GAA) |
4 | 5-3 PHI | Zuccarello (2), Miller (1), Fast (1) | Lundqvist (.843 SV%) (5.00 GAA) | Switched Holden and Clendening
5 | 6-1 NYR | Vrbata (1,2,3), Brassard (2), Stepan (1), Buchnevich (2) | Lundqvist (.967 SV%) (1.00 GAA) |
6 | 4-1 PHI | Zuccarello (3) | Lundqvist (.904 SV%) (4.00 GAA) | Long offseason ahead

2016 NHL Draft

images

With Ottawa putting the first overall pick in play the Rangers jumped at the chance. There was a condition though...with Arizona wanting homeboy Auston Matthews and having the second overall pick, along with Ottawa not wanting to play against Matthews 3 times a year, the Rangers had to agree to not take Matthews.

To NYR | To OTT
1st 16 (1) | Ryan Gropp (High Elite [went up])
| 3rd 2016
| Dylan McIlrath (med. Top 4D [went up])
| Brad Morrison (High Top 9F)
| 1st 2017

With the first overall pick of the 2016 NHL Entry Draft the New York Rangers select Patrik Laine of the Tampereen Tappara.

Re-sign Phase and Negotiations

Chris+Kreider+Kevin+Hayes+San+Jose+Sharks+TJdHpAZdqyAl.jpg

With 13.570M in cap space, the Rangers had play hardball with their 4 NHL free agents. Chris Kreider (RFA), Kevin Hayes (RFA), Jared Cowen (RFA) and Radim Vrbata (UFA) all required new contracts and almost all warranted raises.

Chris Kreider (RFA)
GP | G | A | P | Comaparble Contract
82 | 13 | 32 | 45 | Kyle Palmieri, 2016 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/107

Despite Kreider's totals in both points and goals going down, first year Rangers GM Brant King cannot deny his very high ceiling.
~ The Rangers wanted 6 years, 4 million
~ Kreider wanted 5 years, 5 million

After a lengthy negotiation process Kreider was awarded a 5 year, 4.775M contract. Here is the official press release from GM Brant King:

Chris is a part of our core. When you draft a player and he turns into a key guy like Kreids, you keep him in the fold. Both us and Chris wanted him to remain in New York so after that, there was no doubt he'd be sticking around.​

Kevin Hayes (RFA)
82 | 16 | 32 | 48 | J.T Miller, 2016 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1946

Coming off his entry-level deal, Kevin Hayes upped his assist and point totals, seeing his goal total drop by only 1.
~ The Rangers went in with 2 years, 2.5M
~ Hayes first request was 3 years, 3.5M

The 2 settled on Hayes' term, closer to Rangers money. The deal was 3 years, 2.9M. Here is the official press release from GM Brant King:

When we brought Kevin in 2 years ago, we had the intentions of him being a Ranger for a long, long time. This deal just solidifies that we get to keep key cog down the middle, and not to mention a great guy, with our organization. Anytime you get a deal like that, you jump on it.​

Jared Cowen (RFA)
82 | 4 | 3 | 7 | Ian Cole, 2015 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1574

Jared Cowen was somewhat of a younger reclamation project. He wanted a Top 4 Role but the Rangers seen him as a solid 3rd pairing defender.
~ The Rangers went low with 4 years, 2.25M
~ Cowen went high with 6 years, 4M

The Rangers qualified Cowen, but did not sign him to a deal. Cowen and the Rangers see him in a different role, and the difference in money showed that.

Radim Vrbata (UFA)
82 | 19 | 31 | 50 | Thomas Vanek, 2016 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1085

Although Radim Vrbata had a resugence, he is also aging and declining. His points were along his career average, but that was helped by a higher than usual assist total that cancelled out his lower than usual goal total.,
~ The Rangers had an offer of 1 year, 2.4M
~ Vanek wanted a 1 year, 3M

The two parties settled on a 1 year, 2.5M dollar deal. Here is the official press release from GM Brant King:

Radim provided us with great leadership, offensive skill, and elite vision. He made us look very good with his play last year, and not that we'd want to, but we had no reason to let him go. Radim will be a strong candidate to retire a blueshirt.​

Other signings
Player | OVR | Position | Potential | Player Type | Age | Years | AAV
Patrik Laine | 79 | 18 | LW | Med. Elite | Sniper | 3 | .925M
Marek Hrivik | 78 | 24 | RW | High Bottom 6F | Playmaker | 2 | .750M
Daniel Bernhardt | 68 | 20 | LW | Med. Bottom 6F | 2 Way Forward | 3 | .750M
Richard Nejezchleb | 68 | 22 | RW | High Bottom 6F | Power Forward | 2 | .575M
Robin Kovacs | 64 | 19 | RW | Med. Top 9F | 2 Way Forward | 3 | .800M
Samuel Noreau | 66 | 23 | D | Low AHL Top 4D | | Defensive Defensman | 1 | .625M
Josh Nicholls | 66 | 24 | RW | Low AHL Bottom 6 F | Playmaker | 1 | .575M

Free Agency

images

After resigning all their key free agents, other than Jared Cowen, the Rangers entered Free Agency with 3.370M in cap space. The Rangers wanted help on the right side of their defense. Of course with the direction of the league the Rangers wanted a mobile, versatile d-man (so no Roman Polak). With a lack of 1st and 2nd round picks, the Rangers couldn't send an offer sheet to Cody Ceci, and Jason Demers estimated price tag of 4.5M+ put him out of their price tag. So, the Rangers would have to satisfy that need elsewhere.

The Rangers are looking for a 1st line LW, and while they would've liked to have Mike Hoffman in that role, he's an RFA (see Cody Ceci). It looks like as of right now, their only option is the trade market.

That being said the Rangers made their presence known with depth signings of Ryan Stanton and Lucas Lessio along with prospects Maxim Zhamnov (LW, Med. Top 9F) and Nikolai Sergeyev (RW, Med. Top 9F).

Things to watch

images

After being knocked out of the Playoffs in the 1st round, could it be time for change in New York? As of now they have practically the same roster they ended last season with, minus Jared Cowen. That is worrisome. A rookie GM, Brant King may not have the instincts to realize exactly when a new face is needed...​

images

For the first half of the season, Rangers' fans were having fits that Henrik Lundqvist, franchise goaltender and the only goalie New York fans in the last 10 years have known, might have hit his decline. With a .917 SV% and a 2.48 GAA things were looking bleak for the usually stellar netminder. But an incredible second half catapulted him to a .923 SV%, a full .03 above his career average! King Henrik needs a full season of great play to silence all his doubters of an inevitable decline.​

images

BREAKING NEWS: Josh Jooris (and Radim Vrbata) agreed to negotiate a contract extension with the New York Rangers:

I feel so comfortable in this room with these guys. I feel real good in my role here and I want to win the Stanley Cup here in New York.​

Next Post: 2016-2017 Season!

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

H2gw03b.jpg

SEASON 2 (2017-2018)

PAST SEASON 2 EPISODES
1-OFF SEASON PREVIEW
2-2017 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
3-2017 FREE AGENT FRENZY
5-S02E01
6-S02E02
7-S02E03
8-S02E04
9-S02E05
10-S02E06

After a rocky season, the Senators sit third in Atlantic with nearly 40 games played. The division is tight with the 7th place Red Wings only have 3 less points than the Senators. If Ottawa wants to make the playoffs, it will be crucial for them to continue putting up points.

A sometimes frustrated Erik Karlsson continues to have a huge season with 40 points in 39 games while Kyle Turris has heated up after a very slow start to the season.

:avs
OTTAWA VS COLORADO
First period action, Matt Duchene scores to give Colorado a 1-0 lead. Just as it looks like Ottawa will end the first period down, Colin White ties the game with a late period goal. 1-1.

In the second period, both teams continue launching shots on net. They both finish with 21 shots. A late period Alex Tanguay goal gives Colorado a 2-1 lead.

The Senators have a bad third period and allow two more goals to go down 4-1. Ottawa gets shots on net, but Calvin Pickard shut them down, and Colorado wins the game 4-1.

A rare off night for Bishop leads to the loss.​

:wild
OTTAWA (21-17-2) VS MINNESOTA (27-13-3)
@BruceGarrioch-â€A few changes to the lineup going into this game. Looks like Ottawa wants to spread out the offense. Dzingel-Turris-Smith/Perron-Spooner-Stone/Drouin-Pageau-Nelson/McCormick-White-Collberg. Hogberg to start tonight.â€

The Swedish Butterfly Marcus Hogberg gets the start in net tonight as the Senators face a huge challenge, the best in the West Minnesota Wild. Hogberg getting this start might be an indication that he has gained some of the coaching staffs confidence. With Bishop in the fold, Hogberg starts have seemed to be a rare occurrence, let alone Hogberg starts against a great team.

Peron will get a chance up on the second line as Ottawa attempts to roll with three strong lines. The French Connection Drouin and Pageau will play on the third line with “My Client†Brock Nelson.

First period, Kuemper in net for the Wild. Both teams trade goals early with Karlsson scoring for Ottawa. 1-1.

Early in the second period, it looks like the Senators new lines are clicking. Stone scores two straight goals with some help from Perron. Ottawa up 3-1.

The game isn't over yet, with a minute left int he second, a Zucker goal brings the Wild within 1. 3-2 Ottawa.

Third period action, Reinhart scores a rare goal and the Wild are back chasing while down by two. 4-2 Ottawa. Minnesota attempt to battle back, but a Freddy Claesson empty net goal seals the deal. The Senators get a very impressive 5-2 lead against one of the best teams in the league.

Hogberg had a big game with a .931 save percentage. He is looking like a gem. The new lines clearly worked, Mark Stone had a 4 point night while Perron showed some of the offensive flair that got him noticed in the Ahl last year with 2 assists.​

:sharks
OTTAWA (22-17-2) VS SAN JOSE (20-21-3)
Although he has battled some injury troubles as of late, off season acquisition Pavel Datsyuk is having a big year in San Jose with 29 points in 33 games. The Senators will have to find a way to shut him down if they want to add 2 points to their record.

Bishop will start tonight while the rest of the lineup will remain the same.

Coming off of a huge 4 point night, Stone opens the first period with some of the most confident play we've seen from him in months. Still, neither team can score, and we go into the second at 0-0.

Flashes of a future franchise defenseman, with a brilliant play at the point, Ceci scores to give Ottawa a 1-0 lead. The lead is short lived as Pavelski ties the game only a few minutes later. 1-1.

We go into the third period with Ottawa up 2-1 thanks to a Craig Smith goal. Early in the third Ottawa makes the most of two powerplay opportunities with goals by Drouin and Phaneuf.

The Senators outshoot SJ 33-30 and go on to win 4-1. The team has looked stronger since altering their lines two games back. Smith and Drouin both had 2 point games while Stone registered an assist. Bishop had a huge performance with a .967svp.​

:coyotes
OTTAWA (23-17-2) VS ARIZONA (13-25-4)
@PhillipsMustache-â€Revenge Of The Karlsson: Tonight Erik faces off against the man who stole his Norris last season, Oliver Ekman Larsson.â€

The Senators face off against one of the worst teams in the league, the Arizona Coyotes. Ottawa is 6-3-1 in their last 10 games, and could gain some added momentum with a win tonight.

Smith on Smith violence. Craig Smith scores early on Mike Smith. Ottawa ends the first period up 1-0.

Bad news, shortly after scoring, Smith takes a Martin Hanzel hit that stops play. He's helped off the ice, and it looks like it might concussion related. He's out of the game.

Brock Nelson is having a big game, hitting everything that moves. The Sens get a powerplay early in the second but cannot convert. Former Hab Jared Tinordi ties the game to close out the period. 1-1.

The Coyotes are having a huge night, outshooting Ottawa 34-28. The third period is winding down, the Sens are on their backs, and it looks like we're heading to at best an OT resolution when Brock Nelson pokes a puck loose at the blue line and skates down the rink to put one past Mike Smith. With only a minute left in the game, the Sens are up 2-1.

A young Coyotes team doesn't have enough time to collect themselves, and with an empty net goal, the Sens steal a 3-1 victory.

Karlsson had 2 points to Ekman-Larsson's 1 point. Karl wins this battle. Nelson had a huge night in a building where there continues to be scouts from other teams doing their research on him. With his play lately, will the Senators opt to hold on to him? How bad will Craig Smith's injury be?​

INJURY REPORT: CRAIG SMITH SUFFERS MINOR CONCUSSION
Good news for Ottawa.....sort of. Despite having their leading goal scorer Craig Smith suffer a concussion two minutes into last night's game against Arizona, Smith isn't likely to miss any games. With the Senators having the week off for the All-Star game, Smith should have enough time to recover. He will almost certainly play on the 24th against the Canadiens.​

BONUS: 2017 ALL STAR GAME

TEAM GREEN
Skinner-Stamkos-Nash
Giroux-Malkin-Backstrom
E.Staal-Zetterberg-Okposo
Palat-Dubinsky-Johnson

Ekblad-Karlsson
Leddy-Krug
Greene-Franson

Schneider-Fleury

TEAM BLACK
Benn-Seguin-Tarasenko
Hall-Duchene-Perry
Gaudreau-Couture-Neal
Sedin-Little-Hossa

Keith-Doughty
Suter-Ekman-Larsson
Fowler-Klingberg

Dubnyk-Elliot

The 2017 All Star game is underway. There are a few minor surprises in the lineup. The Elliot/Dubnyk tandem on Team Black might surprise some observers, but Elliot is having a big year with a .925 save percentage while Dubnyk is the starting goalie for the winningest team in the league Minnesota. John Gibson who has a .942 save percentage and is by far the best goalie in the league won't be playing in tonight's game due to continual injury troubles.

In what might be his last year in the league, with 47 points in 45 games, Hossa beat out elite team mates Kane and Toews to earn a spot on the All-Star roster.

Norris Candidates Erik Karlsson and Oliver Ekman-Larsson will face off on opposite teams.

Team Black strikes first. The league's hottest centre Tyler Seguin beats Cory Schneider to make it 1-0.

Team Black continue to dominate the game in the second. They go up by 2 but a Tyler Johnson goal brings Team Green within 1. 2-1 Black.

Both teams trade goals to close out the second, including a beautiful setup from Backstrom to Malkin for team Green. Black leads 3-2.

With Green chasing, Little puts Black up 4-2, and that's the game.

Team Black wins this year. Karlsson and Ekman-Larsson both had a single point.

Devan Dubnyk is the winner of the player of the game.​

:habs
OTTAWA (24-17-2) VS MONTREAL (20-18-8)
Tonight's game is a big one. The Canadiens sit two points behind the third in the Atlantic Senators. Ottawa cannot afford to lose tonight's “4 point†game. With a win, they'll put themselves 4 points ahead of Montreal and 5 points ahead of the last wild card spot. Ottawa will have to overcome a home game disadvantage with Habs fans turning Kanata's Canadian Tire Centre into the Canadien Tire Centre.

“I feel fine. I was fortunate that we had the week off.....and that Karl was the one to get voted into the all star game. It gave me time to sit on my butt and recover.†Is what Craig Smith said when interviewed before the game. Acquired last season from Nashville, Smith is quickly becoming a fan favourite as he leads Ottawa with 15 goals.

CRAIIIIIIIIG SMITH IS BACK! Early in the first period, Smith roasts Carey Price to give Ottawa a 1-0 lead. That's 16 goals on the year for him.

The Sens are hot fire tonight. Ryan “Don't Say Berry After My Last Name†Dzingel beats Price. The Senators have a commanding 2-0 lead early.

We start the second period with Ottawa up 3-0 thanks to a late first Mark Stone goal. Carey Price still in net, looks like Mike Condom won't be coming in after Price allowed 3 goals on 14 shots in the first.

Ottawa continue to outshoot Montreal but Sven Andrispaghetti scores to bring Ottawa's lead down to 3-1.

Third period, the Sens continue to outshoot the Canadiens. Ottawa cannot capitalize on a powerplay and Jacob De La Rose makes them pay. The Habs fans bang against the glass and go crazy in Ottawa's barn, Montreal is now within 1. 3-2 Ottawa.

The Canadiens are skating hard, momentum is on their side, but a bad Brendan Gallagher penalty puts them down a man. Therrien looks sickened on the bench.

2 minutes left in the game, Canadiens fans are drunk and sloppy, Drouin along the half way sends a pass to Phaneuf that crushes their hopes and dreams. With a bomb from the point, Phaneuf puts Ottawa up 4-2. That's all she wrote, the Senators defeat the Canadiens and take a hefty 4 point lead on the third wild card spot.

Craig Smith had a goal and an assist in his first game back from his concussion. With a .931svp Bishop continues to roll along as one of the top goalies in the league.​

10 THOUGHTS
1-Rumor: Teams are calling about Colin White. Although the Senators aren't shopping him, his value has dropped after a bad off season and a poor showing thus far as Ottawa's 4th line centre. White was one of the top prospects in the league according to THN in 2016. Would Ottawa be giving up on a prospect far too early if they sell off White, or selling high on a player who'll cap out as a 4th liner?

2-Erik Karlsson has 46 points in 44 games, that hasn't stopped fans from speculating that the generational RD is unhappy in Ottawa where his owner refuses to surround him with winning talent by spending to the cap. Bringing in Bishop was seen as an attempt to help win before Karlsson becomes a UFA, but because of the budget in order to bring in Bishop, the Senators had to lose players like Clarke MacArthur, Bobby Ryan, and eventually Mark Methot.

3-The Senators have apparently informed Kyle Turris that he won't be traded. The 28 year old stated that he'd be open to an extension in Ottawa, and it is looking like the two parties are going to work out a long term deal. Turris has 33 points in 43 games this season and was the Senators best forward last year.

4-The Islanders are apparently asking too much for Zack Smith who the Senators were rumoured to want to re-acquire. Hossa is still available from the Blackhawks, but with 47 points in 45 games the price on him is sky high. Unless the Senators have an indication that he might retire, acquiring him might not work as he has 3 years left after this season at 5.2M

5-Speaking of acquiring a rental, do the Senators really have the assets to do it this season? They spent huge on Joe Thornton last year by sending two of their top prospects Nick Paul and Patrick Laine to SJ for Thornton. The Senators no longer have a 3rd round this season, so if they move their second round pick (originally belonging to ANA) they'd only have 1 puck left in the first three rounds. Apparently they'd consider trading Jeremy Helvig who was acquired from WSH for Matt O'Connor. We've also heard about Colin White.

6-The Senators are 21st in GFPG, 8th in GAPG, 9th in PP%, and 19th in PK%. Despite this, Ottawa are one of the hottest teams in the league with a 7-2-1 record in their last 10 games.

7-Ben Bishop seems to be as advertised. Bishop signed a 7.5M deal and became the most expensive Senators goalie ever. Since returning from injury, he's helped Ottawa climb back up the standings and is currently fifth in the league with a .921 save percentage.

8-Claude Giroux is having a comeback year in Philly. He's second in the league in goals with 29 and points with 58. Tyler Seguin is having another massive season, he leads the league with 68 points and an astounding 38 goals. The even bigger story is that Seguin is on pace for almost 70 goals.

9-Thomas Chabot is turning heads. He's having a great rookie season in the Ahl where he is a +15 and has 20 points in 40 games. At this point, the Senators seem to be anticipating the Chabot might be the best prospect in their system, and could eventually replace Phaneuf on the top pairing next to Karlsson.

10-Craig Smith might be the biggest surprise in Ottawa. When acquired for Hoffman, the idea was Ottawa as losing Hoffman who might score 30 goals and 70 points and be a game break, and that acquiring Smith who could put up 20 goals would replace some of that lost offense. Smith has broken out this year as the Senators best all around forward. He leads all forwards on the team in both goals and points with 16 and 36 in 44 games. With a +9, he is second on the team only to Turris who is a +11. He leads the team with 4 GWGs, and is second among forwards in hits only to Mark Stone. Smith also has a massive 46 take aways while only putting up 29 give aways. Smith has also played the most minutes out of any forward except Kyle Turris.​

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

images

2016-2017 Season

Season Preview

With New York coming off a first round playoff exit, much has been made that only 2 new faces are on the team. The Rangers' brass obviously believe that their core group is good enough to win a cup but that's not the case with many analysts.

Although the personnel around his is relatively the same, GM Brant King obviously has philosophy that former GM's of the Rangers didn't have. For the second year, the Rangers enter the season with more than 3M in cap space which is different for a team that normally spends to the cap.

With Henrik Lundqvist in net the Rangers have no worries in their crease. As long as Antti Raanta can provide a solid 10-15 games they'll be alright.

On the backend the Rangers brought up rookie Brady Skjei. He's a lefty that can play the right side, something great to have in a defender. Other than that, Holden switches back to the left side, and Cowen remains an RFA. The top pairing of McDonagh and Klein stays intact.

The Rangers offense is one of the deepest in the league. Josh Jooris was an adequate 4th line center last year, but that could be a positon that's upgraded at the trade deadline. Rookie Nick Jensen comes up and will start on the 4th line but is a candidate to move up.30 goal scorer and 60 point man Rick Nash returns for his second last year on his deal, opposite of newly-signed RFA Chris Kreider.

LW | C | RW
Kreider 86 | Stepan 88 | Nash 88
Buchnevich 84 | Hayes 84 | Vrbata 83
Grabner 83 | Jooris 81 | Jensen 83

LD | RD
McDonagh 90 | Klein 84
Staal 84 | Skjei 84
Holden 82 | Clendening 83

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 93 | Raanta 82

First Half in Review

images

October 7th, 2016
To NYR | To OTT
Cody Ceci (RFA) | Robin Kovacs (Med. Top 9F)
Phil Varone (Low AHL Top 6F) | Jared Cowen (RFA)
Connor Crisp (Med. AHL Bottom 6F) | Nick Holden
| 1st 2018

Player Profile
Player | OVR | Position | Potential | Age | Years | AAV
Cody Ceci | 87 | D | Low Top 4D | 22 | 5 | 4.2M

GP (2015-2016) | G | A | P | Comaparble Contract
82 | 9 | 17 | 26 | Oscar Klefbom, 2016 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/844

GM Brant King of the New York Rangers made yet another big move with the Ottawa Senators. This time he acquired the rights to budding star d-man Cody Ceci. With the Sens being a budget team, and the Rangers have the cap space necessary to sign Ceci to a long term deal, it was just a matter of time before King struck the deal. After the move, the Rangers had a total of 1.865M in cap space remaining.

New York Rangers
25-12-4 | 13-4-1 | 12-8-3 | 1st | 3rd | 3rd | Yes

Top 5 Scorers
Player | G | A | P
Derek Stepan | 9 | 23 | 32
Rick Nash | 14 | 14 | 28
Derick Brassard | 6 | 21 | 27
Mats Zuccarello | 12 | 11 | 23
Chris Kreider | 5 | 16 | 21

Goalies
Henrik Lundqvist | 22-9-2 | .935 SV% | 1.95 GAA
Antti Raanta | 3-3-2 | .895 SV% | 3.23 GAA

During the first half of the 2016-2017 NHL Season, New York managed to put themselves right in the thick of the race for the Presidents' Trophy. One major reason for that was GM Brant King's major acquisition of D Cody Ceci, who really stabilized the right side of the defense. Although they only have one player on pace for 60 points the Rangers are knwon to score by committee, never really having that one star.

Henrik Lundqvist has played all but 8 games which is great. Bu what's even better is that he is having a career year. With his best first half ever, Lundqvist has placed himself 3rd in GAA, T-1st in wins, and 3rd in SV% (all among starters) in the league. Meanwhile, backup Antti Raanta has not fulfilled his duty of putting up 15 (ish) games of good quality. Among goalies with atleast 240 mins played, he finds himself 5th last. The Rangers may be in search of a new backup goaltender come the Trade Deadline.

Team captain and #1 defender Ryan McDonagh finds himself in the Top 20 in D scoring after dropping out last year. This is great news for the Rangers, as they have sorely lacked an offensive threat on the blueline. Cody Ceci has been a force on the blue line in all 3 zones, on pace for his second highest career points totals and also being the highest +/- among d-men. Klein has been his dependable self, and Marc Staal has been disappointing, but good enough. Adam Clendening has been a pleasant surprise on pace for a career high in points, while Brady Skjei has been a solid addition to the Rangers blue line in his rookie season.

While the Rangers are having their success as a team, their forwards are not quite as good. Rick Nash is still on pace for a 50+ points, but that's down from last season. Add that to Pavel Buchnevich's, Kevin Hayes', J.T Miller's and Radim Vrbata's major points decline and you have a major issue. The scary thing is...that's not ot. Chris Kreider got a long term extension that more than doubled his previous salary, yet point decline, and it looks like the Rangers' beloved offense needs a retooling. Derick Brassard and Mats Zuccarello are average scorers at this point in the year, while Derek Stepan has been widly...the only bright spot on the whole Rangers forwards.

With the Rangers in need of a scoring forward, or two, or more...many, many more they approach the Trade Deadline in a tough situation. Without a 1st round pick in this draft, or next, it will be hard to win a bidding war against other teams for a rental that's high in demand. Also, with their forwards widely under performing, it would be extremely difficult to pull off a 1 for 1 deal for a forward that puts up much better numbers.

images

Mike Hoffman could be an option for the Rangers. Since the Ottawa Senators are tightly against their internal budget and have no means of signing Hoffman, the Rangers could decide they want to step in. Since it is past the RFA signing deadline, the Rangers would have to trade for his rights, like they did Ceci's, but wait to sign him until the offseason. Hoffman would adress the need of scoring and also first line LW.

images

He who has won 3 Stanley Cups. Patrick Sharp would fit the mold of the aging former star who New York picked up in his twilight to lead the team to victory. Although, really this isn't like that. Sharp has publicly stated he only wants a 2 year deal (good in case Rangers' trade for him and then want to resign), and not only can he still move, he plays a great 2 way game, also bringing relatively good faceoff skills to the table. He also brings his experience which may be an overused term, but is legit with Sharp.

images

The Red Wings will most likely have to choose between 2 great forwards, Thomas Vanek, and Tomas Tatar at the end of the season. Of course Vanek is the more pure scorer so the Rangers would love to get him, but Tatar is younger, most likely cheaper, and can still score while being one of the Wings more responsible defensive players. Either way, the Rangers would glad to get either one of them via Trade should the Red Wings come to that result. If not, the Rangers should be able to make a good pitch during free agency.

images

BREAKING NEWS: Rick Nash will be out until May 7th with Post Concussion Syndrome
January 15th, 2017
Such an integral part of the Rangers offense, Rick Nash was injured and will miss at least 2 rounds of playoff hockey, should the Rangers get that far without him. In 49 games, Nash has 15 goals and 17 assists for 32 points. Despite the fact he was on pace for less points than the previous year; Nash was, along with Stepan, the Rangers' most consistent forwards. Lucas Lessio (15-19-34 in 57 games AHL) was called up to help fill the void.​

images

BREAKING NEWS: Michael Grabner has Post Concussion Syndrome, will be out until April 7th
February 19th, 2017
Just promoted to the 1st line last week to try and spark the offense, Michael Grabner's best opportunity was short lived. Receiving a high hit from Ottawa's Chris Neil, Grabner was knocked out of the game, and ultimately the rest of the Regular Season. Grabner had spent most of this season on the 4th line, putting up 5-3-18 in 60 games. Jesper Fast draws into the lineup for "Grabs".​

images

TRADE DEADLINE NEWS: Rangers shopping Derick Brassard
With the rangers lack of scoring from their centermen, New York seems to be looking into a trade. Brassard is not on pace to hit 50 points which would be a steep drop from the 59 points he had last season (and the 60 point season he had 2 years ago). In reutrn the team is looking for a 2nd line center in a 1 for 1 swap, preferable with a cap hit lower than Brassards.​

Trade Deadline

images

To NYR | To WSH
T.J Oshie | J.T Fournier (19, High Bottom 6F)
Nathan Walker (23, Low Bottom 6F) | Ryan Graves (20, High 7th D)
| Kevin Klein (32, Exact Top 4D)
| 2nd 2018
| 2nd 2019

With the Rangers desperate for scoring help, and with the injuries to Nash and Grabner, they paid a Kings ransom for Oshie. Not only did they give up 2 prospects, they lost arguably their most dependable right-handed D in Kevin Klein and two more 2nd Round picks. In the organization their is obviously a sense of urgency to win with Lundqvist only getting older.

Oshie's contract expires this offseason. He is said to be looking for a 3-4 year deal at 5M+. Oshie said he would be open to negotiating a contract after the season ends (I swear I'm actually using the Yes/No Generator, it seems to always be yes).

Player Profile
Player | OVR | Position | Potential | Age | GP, G-A-P | Years | AAV | Comaparble Contract
T.J Oshie | 88 | RW/LW | N/A | 30 | 62, 13-15-48 | 1 | 4.175M | (For Signings Only)

~ After the Trade Deadline, the Rangers lines looked like this:

LW | C | RW
Oshie 88 | Stepan 88 | Vrbata 83
Kreider 86 | Brassard 86 | Zuccarello 86
Buchnevich 85 | Miller 84 | Hayes 84
Lessio 81 | Jensen 83 | Fast 82
Jooris 82 | |

LD | RD
McDonagh 91 | Ceci 88
Staal 84 | Skjei 84
Stanton 80 | Clendening 83

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 94 | Raanta 83

Season Recap

The New York Rangers went 8-6-3 down the stretch to narrowly keep their division lead. They did finish second in the league to the Lightning, but it wasn't very convincing. Despite having a 20 point lead at the trade deadline, it fell to 14 points at the end of the season.

Henrik Lundqvist had one of his best regular season ever, posting a record of 41-18-5. That marked the first time in his career he's hit 40 wins and only the second times he's finished with a SV% above .930. All this while seeing the most SA in his career with 2108, and maing the second most saves with 1865. Antti Raanta never recovered and possibly got himself a trade out of New York by posting a sub-.900 SV% a GAA of above 3. Lundqvist is one of 5 contenders for the Vezina Trophy. Him along with John Gibson, Tuukka Rask, and Carey Price. It seems as though John Gibson may win having a GAA 0.01 better, the same SV%, and 1 more win.

The New York Rangers defensive corps was extraordinary this season. Ryan McDonagh returned to his 40 point heights, Cody Ceci put up career high numbers in goals, +/- and PPG. Adam Clendening had 0 penalty minutes, and had 17 points second to his career high 22. After GM Brant King put a leap of faith in Marc Staal, saying he would like him to retire a Ranger, Staal didn't respond very well. With a defense-worst even +/-, and a full-season career low of 5 points; Staal could be a trade or buyout candidate. Young guys Brady Skjei and Adam Clendening were each +13 and they were they brought quickness and youth to the lineup. The defensive corps, overall, was very stellar and was a major part in New York's Division Title.

On the offense, Derek Stepan was the only bright spot, as he had a career-high 23 goals and 64 points. He also tied his career high in assists with 41.
He clicked well with deadline acquisition T.J Oshie, who had 57 points, 17 with the Rangers. Other than those 2, everyone else was disappointing. Chris Kreider, who signed a new deal at double his last salary, failed to hit 40 points. It was his lowest points-per-game since his rookie season. Derick Brassard had 39 points, which really gave a boost to the rumors that he might get traded at the draft. Miller, Hayes, Buchnevich, and Vrbata all seen decline in their point production. It was a disappointing year for the forward corps.

New York Rangers
47-25-10 | 25-14-2 | 22-11-8 | 1st | 2nd | 2nd | Yes

Top 5 Scorers
Derek Stepan | 23 | 41 | 64
T.J Oshie | 17 | 40 | 57
Mats Zuccarello | 23 | 23 | 46
J.T Miller | 12 | 34 | 46
Pavel Buchnevich | 22 | 22 | 44

Goalies
Henrik Lundqvist | 41-18-5 | .931 SV% | 2.07 GAA
Antti Raanta | 6-7-5 | .898 SV% | 3.16 GAA

Next Post: 2016-2017 NHL Playoffs and 2017 Offseason!

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

images

2016=2017 NHL Playoffs and 2017 Offseason

2016-2017 NHL Playoffs

images

The New York Rangers got themselves a matchup against the 1st WC team by winning their division. That team was the Boston Bruins. This would be no easy task as Tuukka Rask was in a tight race with Lundqvist (and others) for the Vezina Trophy. Here is your series preview:

~ Head to Head: The teams played each other 3 times. The Rangers didn't fair well with a record of 0-1-2 while the Bruins went a prefect 3-0-0.

~ Leading scorer: NYR = Derek Stepan (23-41-64)
BOS = Patrice Bergeron (27-42-69)
~ Starting Goaltender: NYR = Henrik Lundqvist (41-18-5; .931 SV%; 2.07 GAA)
BOS = Tuukka Rask (34-25-2; .932 SV%; 2.12 GAA)

Still missing Rick Nash, but Michael Grabner returning early, these were the New York Rangers lines:

LW | C | RW
Oshie 88 | Stepan 88 | Vrbata 83
Kreider 86 | Miller 84 | Zuccarello 86
Buchnevich 84 | Brassard 86 | Hayes 84
Grabner 83 | Jensen 83 | Fast 82

LD | RD
McDonagh 91 | Ceci 88
Staal 84 | Skjei 84

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 93 | Raanta 82

Round 1 vs. Boston
1 | 3-2 BOS (OT) | Vrbata (1), Stepan (1) | Lundqvist (.931 SV%) (2.92 GAA) |
2 | 3-0 NYR | Fast (1), Hayes (1), Ceci (1) | Lundqvist (1.000 SV%) (0.00 GAA) |
3 | 3-2 NYR (OT) | Stepan (2,3), Oshie (1) | Lundqvist (.952 SV%) (1.87 GAA) |
4 | 3-0 NYR | Stepan (4), Kreider (1), McDonagh (1) | Lundqvist (1.000 SV%) (0.00 GAA) |
5 | 5-1 NYR | Jensen (1,2), Fast (2), Oshie (2), Vrbata (2) | Lundqvist (.967 SV%) (1.00 GAA) |

Series Recap
The New York Rangers let the pesky Bruins get the best of them in game 1, but the Rangers turned on the jets and got determined to not suffer the same fate as last year. They breezed through the last 4 games of the series to take it 4-1

Top 5 Scorers
Derek Stepan | 4 | 4 | 8
T.J Oshie | 2 | 5 | 7
Vrbata | 2 | 4 | 6
Ryan McDonagh | 1 | 3 | 4
Nick Jensen | 2 | 2 | 4
Michael Grabner | 0 | 4 | 4
Jesper Fast | 2 | 2 | 4

Lundqvist
Lundqvist | 4-1-0 | .964 SV% | 1.18 GAA

images

BREAKING NEWS: Rick Nash makes early return to play in Round 2.
RW Rick Nash makes his reutn to the NYR lineup just in time for Round 2. Ensuing lineup changes occur, including the struggling Chris Kreider demoted to 4th line.​

images

In Round 2, the New York Rangers started battle against the Carolina Hurricanes. They finished 14 points behind the Rangers, 2nd place in their division. Here is your series preview:

~ Head 2 Head: The Rangers excelled against Carolina going 3-1-0, one of those wins were in overtime which put the Hurricanes record at 0-2-1.

~ Leading Scorer: NYR = Derek Stepan (23-41-64)
CAR = Teuvo Teravainen (20-63-83)
~ Starting Goalie: NYR = Henrik Lundqvist (41-18-5; .931 SV%; 2.07 GAA)
CAR = Cam Ward (31-20-6; .916 SV%; 2.60 GAA)

Round 2 vs. Carolina
1 | 2-1 NYR (OT) | Brassard (1), Jensen (3) | Lundqvist (.971 SV% (0.98 GAA) |
2 | 2-0 NYR | Buchnevich (1), Oshie (3) | Lundqvist (1.000 SV%) (0.00 GAA) |
3 | 2-1 NYR | Buchnevich (2), Nash (1) | Lundqvist (.962 SV%) (1.00 GAA) |
4 | 3-2 NYR (OT) | Zuccarello (1), Miller (1), Nash (2) | Lundqvist (.954 SV%) (1.52 GAA) |

Series Recap
Henrik Lundqvist stole the show this series while the struggling players without goals and the returning Rick Nash led the offense. The New York Rangers took care of the Hurricanes very easily. While the top line went quiet, the middle 2 took over. Defense and goaltending once again dominated for the Rangers.

Top 5 Scorers
Derek Stepan | 4 | 6 | 10
T.J Oshie | 3 | 6 | 9
Radim Vrbata | 2 | 4 | 6
Ryan McDonagh | 1 | 4 | 5
Nick Jensen | 3 | 2 | 5

Lundqvist
Lundqvist | 8-1-0 | .966 SV% | 1.06 GAA

images

In the Conference Finals the somewhat hot Rangers found themselves in a matchup with the Ottawa Senators. Most expected the Rangers to get Tampa but Ottawa upset the Lightning in 6 games. (The Rangers and Ottawa also have a recent history of big trades.)Here is your series preview:

~ Head 2 Head: The Rangers dominated 2 of the games on way to a 2-1-0 series victory while Ottawa were lucky to escape with a 1-2-0 record.

OTT = Bobby Ryan (26-33-59)
OTT = (29-28-2; .911 SV%; 2.72 GAA)

Round 3 vs. Ottawa
1 | 5-0 NYR | Nash (3,4), Vrbata (3), Buchnevich (3), Jensen (4) | Lundqvist (1.000 SV%) (0.00 GAA) |
2 | 5-0 NYR | Nash (5), Jensen (4), Oshie (4), Buchnevich (4), Hayes (2) | Lundqvist (1.000 SV%) (0.00 GAA) |
3 | 5-1 OTT | Nash (6) | Lundqvist (.852 SV%) (5.00 GAA) | Lundqvist's first bad game
4 | 4-2 NYR | Stepan (5,6), Stanton (1), Buchnevich (5) | Lundqvist (.888 SV%) (2.00 GAA) |
5 | 3-2 OTT (2OT) | Brassard (2), Buchnevich (6) | Lundqvist (.921 SV%) (2.23 GAA) |
6 | 3-1 OTT | Oshie (5) | Lundqvist (.914 SV%) (3.04 GAA) | Lineup changes
7 | 6-2 NYR | Zuccarello (2,3), Nash (7), Stepan (7), Grabner (1), Buchnevich (7) | Lundqvist (.909 SV%) (2.00 GAA) |

Series Recap
This series was the first time the Rangers faced adversity in these Playoffs. After dominating the first 2 games on route to a 2-0 series lead, things got a little rocky. Henrik Lundqvist had his first bad game and it resulted in a loss. He had an other one, but the team made up for it to take a 3-1 series lead. It seemed as though the Rangers were destined to go to the Cup Finals. But after 2 losses where the offense was non-existent and the goaltending couldn't make up for it like Hank normally could, the Rangers found themselves heading into a Game 7 which many expected Ottawa to win. But, GM Brant King decided enough was enough with spreading out the offense and he put Nash on the top line with Oshie and Stepan. That sparked a wonderful 6-2 win and the Rangers gained their tenacity back. Rick Nash and Pavel Buchnevich were both dominate scoring 5 goals each.

Top 5 Scorers
Derek Stepan | 7 | 11 | 18
T.J Oshie | 5 | 8 | 13
Rick Nash (11GP) | 7 | 4 | 11
McDonagh | 1 | 9 | 10
Vrbata | 3 | 7 | 10
Pavel Buchnevich | 7 | 3 | 10
Mats Zuccarello | 3 | 7 | 10

Lundqvist
Lundqvist |12-4-0 | .950 SV% | 1.49 GAA

images

The New York Rangers got deja-vu in the Stanley Cup Finals when their opponent was the Los Angeles Kings. The Rangers are a better team since they last faced off, but LA's recent playoff success somehow still made the Rangers the underdogs. Here is your series preview:

~ Head 2 Head: The Rangers faired ok against Los Angeles sporting a record of 1-1-0, the win was in overtime which put the Kings record at 1-0-1.

LAK = Anze Kopitar (27-38-65)
LAK = Jonathan Quick (32-22-7; .921 SV%; 2.44 GAA)

Round 4 (SCF) vs. Kings
1 | 2-1 NYR (OT) | Grabner (2), Vrbata (4) | Lundqvist (.973 SV%) (0.81 GAA) |
2 | 6-4 NYR | Brassard (3,4), Kreider (2), Grabner (3), Miller (2), Stepan (8) | Lundqvist (.902 SV%) (4.00 GAA) | Very abnormal game for NYR and LAK
3 | 4-2 NYR | Brassard (5), Oshie (6), Ceci (2), Miller (3) | Lundqvist (.939 SV%) (2.00 GAA) |
4 | 2-0 NYR | Zuccarello (4), McDonagh (2) | Lundqvist (1.000 SV%) (0.00 GAA) | THE NEW YORK RANGERS ARE YOUR STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!

Series Recap
The New York Rangers exacted complete revenge on the LA Kings. Not only did they go up 3-0 like LA did in 2014; the Rangers finished them off in 4. What a sweet, sweet victory. Lundqvist finished off the playoffs with a shutout to cap off what was an unbelievable year for him and the team. This was the Rangers first Stanley Cup victory since 1994.

Top 5 Scorers
Derek Stepan | 8 | 14 | 22
T.J Oshie | 6 | 10 | 16
McDonagh | 2 | 13 | 15
Brassard | 5 | 10 | 15
Rick Nash (15GP) | 7 | 6 | 13
Pavel Buchnevich | 7 | 6 | 13
Mats Zuccarello | 4 | 9 | 13

Lundqvist
Lundqvist |16-4-0 | .950 SV% | 1.52 GAA

2017 NHL Entry Draft

images

With the Rangers having no picks until the 3rd Round, their only major move was related to the salary cap. Once again, very ironically, the move was made with the Ottawa Senators

To NYR | To OTT
Mika Zibanejad (24, Low Top 6F) | Derick Brassard
Zach Smith (29, Exact Bottom 6F) | Connor Crisp (23, Med. AHL Top 6F)
3rd 2018 |

Player Profile
Player | OVR | Position | Potential | Age | GP, G-A-P | Years | AAV
Mika Zibanejad | 85 | C | Low Top 6F | 24 | 78, 13-44-57 | 1 | 2.625M
Zack Smith* | 82 | C | Exact Bottom 6F | 29 | 73, 4-11-15 | 1 | 1.890M

~ *Zack Smith will be a UFA and the only reason he was included in deal was for reasons of Ottawa always staying under the salary cap. Ottawa has finally embraced that they must spend to the cap to be contenders. All the Rangers acquired are his rights. Mika Zibanejad will be an RFA.

images

#NYR NEWS; Radim Vrbata retires after winning Stanley Cup
Radim Vrbata, 36, decided to call it quits after finally winning the Stanley Cup. It's a storybook ending for him, as he won the biggest prize in hockey with the team that gave him a second chance. He had 16-19-35 in 82 games in his final NHL season.

Re-sign Phase and Negotiations

Once again with limited cap space (12.320M) and multiple players to re-sign, the Rangers GM Brant King had to work hard and do some convincing to keep their Stanley Cup roster together. Their RFA's were Mika Zibanejad, Adam Clendening, Jesper Fast, Nick Jensen, Lucas Lessio, and Oscar Lindberg (along with more AHL players). Their UFA's were T.J Oshie, Nathan Gerbe, Josh Jooris, and Zack Smith (along with more AHL players).

Mika Zibanejad (RFA)
OVR | Position | G | A | P | Comparable Contract
85 | C | 13 | 44 | 57 | Victor Rask, 2016 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/451

Newly Acquired Zibanejad is a young, speedy and skilled forward who puts up very good numbers for his age.
~ The Rangers wanted 6 years, 4 million
~ Zibanejad wanted 6 years, 5 million

This was settled within 2 hours. 6 years, 4.5 million is what Zibanejad got on his 3rd NHL deal.

Adam Clendening (RFA)
83 | D | 9 | 8 | 17 | Justin Schultz, 2016 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/871

Adam Clendening was one of New York's best overall defensemen last year. That being said, he's an offensive defensman and his offensive production was down.
~ The Rangers went in with a 1 year 1.5M
~ The Clendening party went in with 1 year, 2M

Adam Clendening put up a strong argument towards his case. The 2 sides went to arbitration and the arbitrator awarded Clendening the Rangers offer of 1 year, 1.5M.

Nick Jensen (RFA)
83 | RW | 10 | 15 | 25 | Melker Karlsson, 2015 http://www.generalfanager.com/players/1668

Nick Jensen had a good rookie year for the Rangers. That being siad, he couldn't carve out a full time role in the Top 9F group because of consitency issues.
~ #NYR offered 2 years, 1.5M
~ Jensen's camp went in with 2 years, 1.85

This negotiation went longer than any other but the 2 eventually agreed upon a 2 year, 1.625M deal.

T.J Oshie (UFA)
OVR | Position | G | A | P | Comparable Contract?
88 | RW/LW | 17 | 40 | 57 | Patrick Sharp, http://www.generalfanager.com/players/530

The Rangers see Oshie as a playr like Patrick Sharp, but with less pedigree and experience. So, naturally they went in offering less years, and a tad less money.
~ The Rangers had a 3 year, 5.25M $ offer on the table
~ Oshie wanted 3-4 years (flexible), at 5.5M per.

The Rangers eventually succumbed to Oshie's request, knowing he's worth the term, and money.

Other Signings
Player | Age | OVR | Position | Potential | Years | AAV
Lucas Lessio | 81 | 24 | LW | Med. Bottom 6F | 2 | .850M
Oscar Lindberg | 81 | 25 | C | Med. Bottom 6F | 2 | .850M
Calle Andersson | 78 | 23 | D | High 7th D | 3 | .775M
Michael Paliotta | 76 | 24 | D | Low 7th D | 1 | .650M
Magnus Hellberg | 81 | 26 | G | Low Backup | 2 | .875M
MacKenzie Skapski | 80 | 23 | G | High Backup | 3 | .725M

~ * With just 0.155M in cap space, the Rangers were not players in Free Agency.

Things to Watch

images

#1 = Henrik Lundqvist
After a season which saw Henrik Lundqvist have his 2nd best Regular Season ever, and set a record for highest ever SV% in one playoff year (min. 8 games) he makes this list for a good reason this year instead of last years bad reflection. How can he follow it up? No one can expect him to have the same type of playoffs, if the Rangers make it there; but the only way to improve on last season would be to win the Vezina...​

rangersweb15s-2-web.jpg

#2 = New York Rangers forwards
How will the Rangers forwards (minus Derek Stepan) respond to a downright bad year last season? Chris Kreider, entering the 2nd season of a 5 year deal that pays him 4.775M a season, was very disappointing. Kevin Hayes, who also got a new extension, wasn't as disappointing but still needs to pick up his game. JT Miller and Pavel Buchnevich also had down years, and this year their contracts expire so if they want long-term, luctrative deals; they need to rebound. As for Rick Nash, his point production declined last year, and the Rangers have an understanding that it might not go back up. This could be the start of his decline. Mats Zuccarello also seen his points drop (like the rest of the forwards) and without his bestfriend and longtime linemate Derick Brassard, he will have to get accustomed to his new centerman. As for new addition Mika Zibanejad, we will see how he fares in his first season with the Rangers.​

images

#3 = Marc Staal
The New York Rangers worst defensman last season was veteran Marc Staal. That is an issue because he is also their highest paid defenseman. This comes the season after GM Brant King decided to put a vote of confidence in him and keep him around. To add to that, King stated he would like Staal to retire a Ranger. If Marc Staal can't rebound, will King go back on what he said and seek a trade or buyout, or will he continue to give what was a subpar defensman last year Top 4 minutes?​

images

#4 = What rookies will make the NHL club?
Patrik Laine did not play NHL hockey last season. He will most likely play next year but who will join him? Cristoval "Boo" Nieves looks primed to play but with the center core of the Rangers so deep, it will be tough for him to find a fit. Maybe the biggest question mark is Adam Tambellini, whose ceiling looks to be a Top 9F. It is most likely that he will play 1 more year in the AHL, but anything can happen if he makes the most of his shot in the preseason.​

images

#5 = UFA's
UFA's have the right to test the market if they like. Here are the decisions of the Rangers Unrestricted Free Agents:

Player | Willing to negotiate?
Rick Nash | Yes
Jesper Fast | Yes
Michael Grabner | Yes
Ryan Stanton | Yes
Marek Hrivik | No
Phil Varone | No

Next Post: 2017-2018 NHL Season!

Last edited:

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
This seems like a fun way to kill times during the dog days of summer. I will be using the Toronto Maple Leafs, however, I am removing a lot of the players and filling them in with players from the European leagues. I will also remove Nyander and Marner and any other high level prospects the Leafs have in NHL 16.

I want to literally start from scratch.

The only players I kept from Toronto are Komarov, Holland, Michalek, and Laich. I chose them as players who will be the overpriced people to put me at the cap floor.

Anyway here we begin....

After a sudden life changing decision by General Manager Lou Lamoriello choosing to retire, the Maple Leafs were put in a position to hire a new general manager. After a thorough interview process the Leafs decided to hire young up-and-comer HKYPro.

HKYPro won the job due to his plan to move the Leafs forward. A complete scorched earth mentality that seemed to resonate with President of Hockey Operations Brendan Shanahan. Another part of HKYPro's plan was that while the team is not considered a contender he would try to maintain a healthy amount of cap space. Ownership quickly jumped on board with the young man's plan and through a press conference in Real Sports Bar & Grill Shanahan announced the signing of the new light of hope for Toronto.

Entering the 2015-2016 NHL season with a virtually nameless roster, HKYPro made his first major decision. He decided to help his division rival Buffalo Sabres. He traded away young blueliners Stuart Percy and Travis Dermott in exchange for veteran forward Brian Gionta, prospect Hudson Fasching, and a 2016 4th round pick.

HKYPro was willing to eat Gionta's salary for the next 2 seasons because he felt the Leafs were getting a big strong forward prospect in Fasching.

The Leafs enter opening night with a roster that would require deep thought to remember some of the players listed. The starting lineup on opening night against the Montreal Canadiens was the following:

LW|C|RW
Sean Bergenheim|Derek Roy|Frederik Pettersson
Andrei Kostitsyn|Peter Holland|Alexander Radulov
Sergei Kostitsyn|Olli Jokinen|Leo Komarov
Brooks Laich|James Sheppard|Alexei Ponikarovsky

LD|RD
Lubomir Visnovsky|Philip Larsen
Anton Belov|Martin Sevc
Keith Aulie|Karol Sloboda

G
Martin Ruzicka

Toronto went on to lose to Montreal with a quiet 3-0 loss. The Leafs went on to lose their 2nd game by the same score before scoring their first goal of the season in game #3 against Ottawa in a 4-1 defeat.

Toronto went on to do well the rest of the month by going a decent 4-3 to finish October at a reasonable 4-6 in their first 10 games.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

H2gw03b.jpg

SEASON 2 (2017-2018)

PAST SEASON 2 EPISODES
1-OFF SEASON PREVIEW
2-2017 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
3-2017 FREE AGENT FRENZY
5-S02E01
6-S02E02
7-S02E03
8-S02E04
9-S02E05
10-S02E06
10-S02E07

The Senators are third in the Atlantic. After an up and down season, the team has found stability with Erik Karlsson having a legendary season, and Ben Bishop finally providing the Senators with arguably best in the league goaltending. With everything seemingly going right, can the Senators keep winning and try to not find a way to mess it up in the next few games?

:isles
OTTAWA (25-17-2) VS NEW YORK ISLANDERS (22-18-5)
@BruceGarrioch-Sens keep rolling with the same lines. Looks like there are some complications and Lazar is still weeks away from coming back.â€

27 goals.....an amount that most players would be happy to score in a full season. Tavares has that many already and we're not even 50 games in. The Islanders also have one of the best offensive defenders in the game Nick Leddy who has 30 assists.

First period, a slow game without many shots. Somehow, both teams find a way to score, and we end the period tied 1-1.

Second period, things heat up. Johnny Drouin beats Halak with a slap shot for his second goal of the game. Ottawa up 2-1.

Third period, knowing Ottawa only has a 1 goal lead, this all comes down to Bishop. Bishop stands on his head and turns away shot after shot. In a huge moment, former Islanders prospect Sebastian Colberg scores his 2nd NHL goal. Ottawa now up 3-1. Colin White adds an empty netter for his 4th of the season and Ottawa end the game with a 4-1 win.

Karlsson had a 3 point night, while Colin White showed glimmers of the player he can become with a 2 point game. Bishop had another beastly performance with a 970svp.​

:rangers
OTTAWA (26-17-2) @ NEW YORK RANGERS (21-25-2)
@IanMendes-â€Ever since spreading out their offense on their top three lines, the Senators have been almost unbeatable.â€
@PhillipsMustache-â€How do you not use Francis Perron on the powerplay?â€

The Senators look to continue to put up points. They roll into New York where the Rangers look to already be out of the playoffs with the second worst record in the East. With Lundqvist the subject of numerous trade rumours, the Rangers are having a bad season.

RYAN DZINGELLLLLLLLL! Early in the first, a Ryan Dzingel goal puts Ottawa up 1-0.

The Sens go into the first period up 2-1 while outshooting a bad New York team 20-10. DZINGELLLLLLLLLL AGAIN. Dzingel scores his second goal of the game, Ottawa up 3-0.

I'm not even going to both to try and write anything else. It is half way through the third, Ottawa is up 5-0. This Rangers team is a disgrace.

The Senators win a lopsided game. Bishop picks up a shutout and pads his numbers while Colin White continues his hot streak by picking up another point. Phaneuf had a big 3 point night as well.​

:pens
OTTAWA (27-17-2) @ PITTSBURGH (32-13-2)
BruceGarrioch-â€There is a very good chance Ottawa will lean on Bishop to play both games of the back to back. The team is red hot.â€
PhillipsMustache-â€another big Norris head to head. Karlsson vs Letange AIAEC. Karl has 45 assists to Letang's 32. Go get em Karl.â€

The Senators face off against the ultimate measuring stick, last year's cup champion.

Things get off to a bad start. A Hornqvist goal puts Pittsburgh up by one, and with the Pens outshooting Ottawa 16-10 some no name called Wilson puts the Pens up 2-0.

A Crosby goal puts Pittsburgh up 3-0 in the second, but things aren't over yet. With a booming slap shot from the point, Karlsson puts Ottawa on the board for the first time tonight.

The Senators continue to play a game of catch up and can't seem to keep up with the stacked Penguins. Ottawa allows an unfathomable 47 shots on goal and ultimately lose 5-2.

Just when Ottawa was patting itself on the back about how hot the team has been lately, they get shown how far they might be with competing against the best team in the East. Karlsson continued to score with 2 points while Letang was held pointless.​

:flyers
OTTAWA (27-18-2) @ PHILADELPHIA (23-20-5)
@BruceGarrioch-â€Hogberg going in tonight. GMDP resting Bishop after a 47 shot workload against Pittsburgh.â€

Marcus Hogberg who has had a good season as the rarely seen backup goalie is set to start against the Flyers. The Senators face their former star cap casualty Bobby Ryan who now is comfortably immersed as a member of his hometown Flyers.

An early goal by Erik Karlsson gets Ottawa on the board, but Bryan Murray's favourite player Chris Stewart (he's still in the league?) ties the game for the Flyers. 1-1.

Craig Smith scores his 17th of the year to give Ottawa the lead, while a second period goal by Drouin puts the Senators up 3-1.

Ceci scores in the third, and it looks like Ottawa is riding their way to an easy win against the Flyers.

Pageau adds a goal, and with that Ottawa win 5-1. Hogberg had a great game with a .962 save percentage. Does this guy have a future as a starter in the Nhl or what? Ceci had perhaps his best game of the season with 3 points and showed signs of the top pairing potential some see in him.

:nucks
OTTAWA (28-18-2) VS VANCOUVER (23-21-5)
Ottawa returns home with 8 wins in their last 10 games. The Canucks are in the a three way battle in the Pacific with EDM and CGY for the third playoff spot in the division.

Bishop starts tonight after getting a rest against the Flyers.

DZINGEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL! First shot of the game, and Ryan Dzingel puts Ottawa up 1-0. The Canucks don't sweat it with Jake Virtanen quickly tieing the game. A Jared “I didn't get traded to Florida in this timeline†McCann goal gives VAN a 2-1 lead going into the second.

Being outshot, Ottawa continues to chase the game in the second period. Both teams trade goals and the Sens leave the period down 3-1.

Derek Dorsett of all people scores in the third period. Both teams trade goals, but it isn't enough. Ottawa lose to VAN 5-3. Phaneuf is heating up with another multi-point night, but it wasn't enough to get it done for Ottawa.​

:jets
OTTAWA (28-19-2) VS WINNIPEG (25-24-2)
@BruceGarrioch-â€Lazar is back. White will stay at C on the 4th line for the time being. McCormick-White-Lazar together with Colberg outâ€
@PhillipsMustache-â€Unreal. Karlsson top 5 in league scoring with 56 points. Nearly 10 points ahead of Ekman-Larsson who is in 2nd place among D. Epic season.â€

Ottawa dominate early but a 5 on 3 penalty gives the Jets a big momentum swing. The Senators manage to kill of the penalty, and we end the period tied 0-0.

Andrew Ladd puts the jets up 1-0 in the second period. The Senators still cannot solve Connor Hellbuyck.

The Senators have a big third period, with goals by Turris and Pageau they go up 2-1.

Both teams play hard, but Bishop keeps the Jets from coming back. With his second goal of the night in an empty net, Pageau puts the game out of reach. Ottawa win a hard fought game 3-1.​

10 THOUGHTS
With the trade deadline coming up, we'll start our 10 thoughts with a few rumors....

1-Rumor: Ottawa and Detroit might be talking over a Mike Green trade. The 32 year old RD has 36 points so far this season and had 50 points last season. With the Red Wings looking to miss the playoffs for the first time in a decade, they'd like to get something back for Green who is set to become a UFA. It might take a package around Colin White to get it done. Ottawa has also been in talks with Tampa Bay about Jason Garrison.

2-Rumor: Matthews in play. EDM aren't happy that Matthews only has 17 points in 53 games and as a result of the team being in a position to potentially miss out on the playoffs again, they are panicking.

3-Rumor: The Senators are still after Keanu Yamamoto who was taken 26th in 2016 by Pittsburgh. They almost had him last year at the TDL before Clarke MacArthur refused to waive his NTC to go to Pittsburgh. The Senators drafted his brother last year, which might have been an indication that they thought they could make something work with Pittsburgh for Yamamoto in the off season. Pittsburgh likes Brock Nelson, but the Senators might be apprehensive to move him at the deadline with the team now winning.

4-It looks like a goalie with go first overall for the third season in a row. Thanks EA. Will ARZ who are set to finish last take Kyle Dumba after they already took goalie Taz Burmen 1st last draft? Or will they take the can't miss elite centre, Joseph Veleno?

5-â€There are things I might change. I think the budget situation handicaps us which isn't fun. But at the same time I am very happy here in Ottawa.â€-Erik Karlsson on TSN 1200 addressing the rumours that he is unhappy playing for Ottawa.

6-After some adversity early in the season, the Senators are the hottest team in the league over the last little while with an 8-2-0 record.

7-Are the Flyers rushing Travis Konecny? After putting up an impresssive 8 goals and 17 points in 18 AHL games during his rookie season this year, the Flyers have called up Travis Konency. In 10 games, Konecny has 1 NHL point.

8-Could Joe Sakic and Patrick Roy be on their last legs in Colorado? Despite acquiring Keith Yandle and Eric Gelinas being unrealistically great in this game leading to Colorado having one of the deepest defensive cores in the game, the team is in a position to miss the playoffs for the fourth season in a row. Yandle is a UFA and likely won't return as the team is right up against the cap and will have to give raises to MacKinnon, Barrie, Pickard, and Rantanen.

Management and coaches seem to be placing the blame on the players and a “bad cultureâ€, which has lead some to speculate that the Avalanche might be open to moving a big name like Duchene, Landeskog, or MacKinnon. Although MacKinnon has had good numbers, he's yet to live up to the lofty “dude he was born in the same small town as Crosby†goals set upon him when he went 1st overall. Last season MacKinnon had 26 goals and 61 points and was a -8, this year in 54 games right now he has an impressive 20 goals, but has only managed to put up 34 points and is a -16.

9-One of the biggest stories among hockey pundits is the fall of McDavid. In his contract year, McDavid is struggling. “Another elite young player ruined by the Oilers†said one unnamed GM. After putting up 68 points in 59 games last season, McDavid only has 27 points this year in 47 games and is a -12. The upside to this is that the Oilers might have some leverage at the end of this season when they have to negotiate McDavid's extension.​

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Not to ruin the illusion that all this is happening live, but I'm done the entire season. I am going to make big changes to my format after this season though. Still will be simming game by game and responding with lineup moves and trades based on what happens, but I have a few ideas for things that might make my log an easier and more fun read than having multi paragraph write ups for a bunch of games that ultimately end up being very similar to each other.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

H2gw03b.jpg

SEASON 2 (2017-2018)

PAST SEASON 2 EPISODES
1-OFF SEASON PREVIEW
2-2017 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
3-2017 FREE AGENT FRENZY
5-S02E01
6-S02E02
7-S02E03
8-S02E04
9-S02E05
10-S02E06
10-S02E07
11-S02E08

The Senators sit sixth in the east. With an 8-2-0 record in their last 10 games, they are the hottest team in the league. The team survived a mid season meltdown after a long term injury to Ben Bishop, and now that he's back, he has upped his level of play to the point where he is an early Vezina candidate. Bishop has the third best save percentage in the entire league.

SENS LINEUP
Dzingel 85-Turris 88-Smith 86
Perron 77-Spooner 84-Stone 86
Drouin 87-Pageau 83-Nelson 84
McCormick 81-White 80-Lazar 82

Phaneuf 86-Karlsson 93
Reinhart 82-Ceci 88
Claesson 79-Montour 81

Bishop 88
Hogberg 81

:flames
OTTAWA (29-19-2) VS CALGARY (24-23-6)
The Flames made the playoffs last season, but currently are on the outside looking in. They are two points behind San Jose for the third spot in the Pacific. A wild card spot isn't likely for any Pacific team, so CGY will have to leap frog SJ if they want in on the playoffs.

Johnny Gaudreau is having a career year for the Flames while rookie Hunter Shinaruk is finally living up to the lofty expectations that were set upon him when he initially projected to be a top 10 pick in the 2013 NHL draft. The currently injured Shinkaruk leads all rookies with 17 goals and 36 points in 52 games.

Ottawa will roll with the same lineup that they've found success with over the last few games. Three strong lines. Bishop will start.

First period, Dzingel blasts one passed Gillies, Ottawa up 1-0.

Calgary outshoots Ottawa 14-6 going into the second, but it takes them until midway into the second period to get on to the board. Two quick goals by the Flames give them a 2-1 lead.

Ottawa is being manhandled and out played. They don't look like a team who has won 8 in their last 10. Stone steps up and ties the game for Ottawa before the end of the second 2-2.

Ottawa are now being outshot 27-16 going into the third. The Sens go down 3-2 early but FRANCIS PERRON!!!! Perron ties the game with his 5th of the season and we've got a 3-3 affair.

With 39 shots on the board, the Flames score again and the Sens find themselves chasing the game. They look exhausted. 4-3 Flames. The Sens try to battle back, but they cannot do it.

Calgary defeat Ottawa in a game where the Senators were manhandled and outshot 40-24. Bishop kept the Senators in it. Perron had two points on the night in a solid performance.​

:blues
OTTAWA (29-20-2) @ ST.LOUIS (30-18-4)
The Sens will roll into St.Louis with the same lines as last night. The Blues are one of the best teams in the league, but in a hyper competitive central division they currently sit 4th which is only good enough to put them in the top wild card spot. Tarasenko is having a huge season, he has 31 goals already which is good enough for third in the league. Surprisingly Robby Fabbri (84oa) has been stuck in the AHL all season, likely due to the Blues being at the cap. Strong AI EA.

Star defensemen Karlsson and Petriangelo trade goals early, 1-1. Ottawa kills off a powerplay, but the Blues heavily outshoot the Senators 16-6 in the first.

The Sens come out and have a much better second period. By the end of the second both teams are tied with 18 shots, and a Francis Perron goal gives Ottawa a 2-1 lead. With his sixth of the season, Perron is heating up for the Senators.

A 5 on 3 powerplay for the Blues in the third changes the momentum of the game. St.Louis score twice and take a 3-2 lead. Ottawa are now chasing the game with only 6 minutes remaining.

The Senators pull their goal and unleash shot after shot on Brian Elliot. They can't tie the game and as a result lose their second straight one goal game 3-2.​

INJURY REPORT: GRIFFEN REINHART (ANKLE)
Reinhart injured his ankle in last nights loss to the Blues and is expected to miss as many as four games. Mark Borowiecki who has only played 41 games this season is expected to dress for Reinhart. Currently, the Senators haven't called up anyone from the AHL, but if Reinhart's is unable to return soon and there are complications, expect Andreas Englund to get the call up.​

:preds
OTTAWA (29-21-2) @ NASHVILLE (29-19-6)
@BruceGarrioch-â€Looks like Hogberg will start tonights second game of the back to back against Nashville. Boro in on the second pairing with Ceci.â€

The Preds sit a mere 3 points ahead of Colorado in the last wild card spot. They need points. Former Senator Mike Hoffman is having a modest season with 17 goals and 39 points in 53 games but isn't delivering the star studded offense that was expected of him when the Predators gave up Craig Smith and a 1st round pick for Mike Hoffman and a 2nd round pick a few years back.

The Senators look to snap a 2 game losing streak while their hottest player Francis Perron is looking to prove that he can play a key role in the NHL.

The Sens kill a few big Predators powerplays early, including a dangerous 5 on 3. Ryan Johanssen opens the scoring in he second period but Kyle Turris ties the game. 1-1.

Bad third period for Ottawa, they are being outshot nearly 30-15 and Johanssen and Forsberg goals put the Sens down 3-1. The Senators look sluggish and disinterested and ultimately lose 3 to 1.

Hogberg had a solid game with a .914 save percentage, but with the Senators offense stagnating, there wasn't much else he could have done to help them win.​

:hawks
OTTAWA (29-22-2) VS CHICAGO (32-17-5)
The Blackhawks are third in the most competitive division in the league. They are lead by a strong core with 39 year old Marian Hossa having a career year. Hossa has 26 goals and 57 points in 54 games and is exhibiting excellent two way play. Patrick Kane is having a tough time following up his 54 goal 126 point year last season as he only has 27 goals and 42 points in 39 games.

Looking to snap a 3 game losing streak, the Senators come out hard to start the game. Still, they continue to get outshoot by their opponents. Chicago outshoots them 16-7 in the first period.

Stellar play by Ben Bishop keeps Ottawa in the game. The Senators cannot capitalize on multiple power play opportunities in the second period and we go into the third period still without any goals on the board.

It took 33 shots, but the Blackhawks score. Patrick Kane puts his team up by 1. Anisimov adds a goal and despite Mark Stone scoring, Ottawa can't come back. An empty net goal puts Ottawa down 3-1, and that's the game.

Ben Bishop had a huge game as he faced 40 shots. The Senators offense isn't clicking. They are going to have to think about making some changes to the lineup.​

:sabres
OTTAWA (29-23-2) @ BUFFALO (32-16-8)
@BruceGarrioch-â€New lines @ practice look like Dzingel-Turris-Stone/Drouin-Spooner-Smith/Nelson-Pageau-Lazar/Perron-White-McCormick. Claesson up with Ceci instead of Boro.

The Senators face off against the top team in the Atlantic. With 12 more points than Ottawa, the Sabres are having a huge season. Their forward core of Stamkos, Eichel, Reinhart, and O'Reilly is clicking, while Robin Lehner is showing an improvement in net compared to last season.

The Senators have lost 4 straight games and are looking to snap that streak tonight against a divisional rival.

Evander Kane scores early, Buffalo up by 1 and the Senators are chasing another game.

The Senators convert on a 5 on 3 power play with a Drouin goal on Chad Johnson. Turris adds another, Ottawa up 2-1.

The second period remains scoreless until a Karlsson goal in the final minute gives Ottawa some insurance, they are up 3-1.

Jack Eichel dazzles the Buffalo crowd with a brilliant goal to put his team with one. 3-2 Buffalo.

The Sabres continue to chase, but Bishop keeps the Senators ahead, and with a Ceci empty net goal, the Senators snap their losing streak by beating Buffalo 4-2.

The line shuffling clearly woke Ottawa's offense up.​

10 THOUGHTS
1-Playoffs aren't a sure thing for Ottawa. The Senators sit third in the Atlantic but after a 4 game losing skid they only have a 4 point cushion on a playoff spot. A few more losses, and they oculd be on the outside looking in while Tampa Bay or Montreal takes their place.

2-What is this, 1999? 2000? Odds makers in Vegas are predicting a New Jersey VS Dallas Cup Final. The Stars have been seen as eventual cup champions for the last few seasons, but the Devils are a surprise. Currently first in the league with 79 points, the Devils were a bottom feeder last year. Their D-core progressing along with signings of Perrault and Vanek have seemingly put the Devils over the top.

3-Speaking of the Devils, days after those odds came out Cory Schneider slipped a disc in his back. Schneider will not return until late April. The Devils will have to find a way to get passed the first round without him.

4-Spooner is proving to be a great acquisition for the Senators. With 39 points so far, Spooner is third in points amongst Senators forwards. This is after spending a good chunk of the season playing on Boston's fourth line.

5-Erik Karlsson is having a legendary season. With 62 points in only 55 games, he is fifth in league scoring. He has 10 more points than the next defender behind him, Ekman-Larsson. Teams apparently have called about Karlsson after the rumours that he might be unhappy with the Senators. They've apparently been told Karlsson is not for sale. What kind of package would it take for a team to pry Karlsson from Ottawa?

6-â€Things are really heating up with the trade deadline coming near. Hearing that Claude Giroux badly wants to play in his home town of Ottawa while still in his prime, and Philly need a break in the cap. They have no cap space and have multiple players they need to retain. There was talk about Giroux being past his prime last year when he only had 68 points and was surpassed by Couturier as the teams top centre. With Giroux having a big year this season, there's talk that now is the last chance they might get to dump his cap hit. As much as Ottawa are saying they'd like to extend Turris who is both younger and will be cheaper than Giroux who has a cap hit that eclipses 8 million. I am hearing that the Senators and Flyers have been discussing a trade for quite some time and that a Turris for Giroux swap might go down at the deadline. The big hold up is that Ottawa initially began discussions about this trade when they were losing, they are winning now and might not be in a rush to make such a big chance. That, and the Flyers want a really good young player with Turris and the Sens aren't sure if it is worth it. E3.†Eklund of hockeybuzz.com on his latest podcast where he talked about the possibility of the Senators acquiring Giroux from the struggling and cap strapped Flyers.

7-Binghamton are 10th in the Eastern Conference with a 22-20-6 record. The stagnating NHL team will be moving to Belleville next season and are expecting to add players like Sam Steel, Brett Howden, William Nylander, and Mikhail Sergachov to the roster.

8-With Cory Schneider hurt, the Vezina race is now wide open. Schneider lead the league with a .935 save percentage. Tukka Rask is the only other goalie to remain over the .930 mark while Fleury, Bishop, and Elliot all are close behind.

9-There's talk that Brock Nelson won't be traded at the deadline.

10-The trade deadline is only 10 games away. The Senators sit third in their division and if rumours are true they are primed to be right in the thick of things on deadline day.​

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

H2gw03b.jpg

SEASON 2 (2017-2018)

PAST SEASON 2 EPISODES
1-OFF SEASON PREVIEW
2-2017 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
3-2017 FREE AGENT FRENZY
5-S02E01
6-S02E02
7-S02E03
8-S02E04
9-S02E05
10-S02E06
10-S02E07
11-S02E08
12-S02E09

:bolts
OTTAWA (30-23-2) @ TAMPA BAY (26-23-6)
The Lightning have lost an assortment of star talent over the last few seasons to free agency, Ben Bishop, Tyler Johnson, Steven Stamkos just to name a few. 34 year old Jiri Hulder has taken a big spot on the team with 34 points while 25 year old Brandon Gormley (how'd they get him?) has had a breakout year in their top 4. Vasilevskiy's first year as a starting goalie has been a rough one. Last year he had a .922 save percentage as the number two guy, this year he only has an .898.

Ben Bishop will start against his former team and try to give Ottawa the win.

Early on, Tampa looks like they have Bishop figured out. A Hudler goal gives TB a quick 1-0 lead, but Ottawa manages to stop them from further dominating. DZINGEEEELLLLLLL ties the game before the end of the first. 1-1.

Second period, Ottawa outshoot Tampa 20-12 but can't beat Andersen.

In the third period, Dion Phaneuf capitalizes on the powerplay with a booming shot from the point and Ottawa is up 2-1. Ryan Callahan who is rumoured to be OTB in Tampa ties the game with a gritty (get it because he is a grinder...) goal.

With 7 minutes left in the game, Mark Stone beat Andersen and Ottawa are up 3-2. Montour adds an empty netter, and that's all she wrote. Ottawa look very good in a game where they outshoot Tampa 32-20 and despite the score being close, they never let the game get away from them.

Bishop had a subpar night with a .900 save percentage, but with only 20 shots against him, it wasn't a problem. Dzingel had one of his better games of the season by putting up 3 points.​

INJURY REPORT: MARK BOROWIECKI
The timeline for his return is unknown, but with Griffen Reinhart returning, this won't effect the Senators that badly as Borowiecki would have otherwise been the healthy scratch.

:leafs
OTTAWA (31-23-2) @ TORONTO (29-21-5)
@BruceGarrioch-â€Looks like Perron is scratched tonight. Buddy Robinson in on the fourth line as a physical presence.â€

Absolutely huge Sunday night game. Only a point separates both these teams. Ottawa sits 3rd in the Atlantic, while Toronto sits 4th in the Atlantic. The battle of Ontario has meaning again.

Hiller will start for Toronto while Bishop will start for Ottawa.

The game is an intense one. Both teams trade powerplays early, but neither can get on the board. The good old boy from Winnipeg Brendan Leipsic puts Ottawa on the board early. Leafs up 1-0 to close out the third period.

coachcornerapr22_xbox_620x350_2451176760.jpg

“Give me a guy like Shea Weber or a Brad Stuart. Karlsson, he's a figure skater I tell you what. Moose Jaw triple A mens beer league. Send Karlsson there, that'll make a man out of him. You see these Senators thank god they've still got Dion Phaneuf (**Don Cherry sneezes in the sound of the word “Mouse Jawâ€**). This GM I tell ya, he takes his one great defender Marc Methot and trades him for a soft little Russian centre named Spooner. (**An intern whispers off screen to Don Cherry that Spooner is Canadian). I tell you, Morgan Rielly, now that's a kid who plays hockey! Good ol' Canadian kid from Vancouver, what's he do, he signs long term with Toronto the first time he gets the chance. He wants to be here. You see all those Swedes they only care about their Ikea chairs and their money eh. Did you know my suit tonight was made out of an ikea chair? You don't hear me bragging!â€-Don Cherry on Coaches Corner during the intermissionâ€

The Senators need to get it together. William Nylander scores early in the second to put Ottawa in a 2-0 hole. The cameras zoom into the one Senators fan shaking his head in disgust in the sea of blue after the goal is scored.

ERIK KARLSSON! A slap shot from the point beats Hiller. 2-1 Toronto.

The Sens are being heavily outshot going into the third. Apparently Eugene Melnyk came down to the locker room in between the period. He re-enacted that speech from that football movie that everybody knows about inches. He might of even threw a chair for dramatic effect and accidentally hit Cory Conacher who isn't even on the team anymore.

Melnyk's speech worked! RYAN DZINGEL! Dzingel beats Hiller, it is 2-2, we've got 12 minutes to go in the third, it is ANYBODY'S GAME!

With the Senators rallying, Nazem Kadri drives a stake through the heart of Ottawa with a goal that puts Toronto up 3-2 with only minutes to go. The Senators pull their goal, but Jeffrey Lupus buries an empty net goal. Ottawa lose a big game 4-2 and Toronto leapfrog them in the Atlantic division standings.

Phaneuf had a fantastic game against his former team. He played the most minutes of any Senator at 24:17 and he put up 2 points.​

:canes
OTTAWA (31-24-2) @ CAROLINA (25-27-6)
In what is the second game of a back to back, Hogberg will start. The Hurricanes are 4 points out of a wild card spot in the East, but as the trade deadline approaches, they quickly are looking like sellers. Skinner is having another huge year with 27 goals already.

Ottawa kill a 5 on 3 early. Hogberg has a brilliant period where he stops all 15 of Carolina's shots.

Carolina continue to get powerplay opportunities but Hogberg keeps them game within reach. Late in the second Victor Rask and Dwight King both score. Outshot 33-15, Ottawa is down 2-0 going into the third.

The Senators need to get it together, they are being dominated.

A Kyle Turris slap shot goal puts the Senators within one. Still, the team cannot find a spark. They get outplayed by Carolina, and lose 2-1 after being outshot 41-24. Marcus Hogberg is one of the only bright points of this game for Ottawa.​

:stars
OTTAWA (31-25-2) @ DALLAS (36-18-5)
Ottawa are coming off of back to back losses. Dallas is the best team in the West with 77 points and are lead by the two headed monster of Seguin and Benn. The Sens will face off against their former star player Jason Spezza. Bishop will start in goal.

This is another game where the Senators find themselves heavily outshot early. They end the third period outshot 12-4, but an Erik Karlsson goal ensures they are up 1-0.

Brandon Montour scores early in the second to put Ottawa up 2-0. Jamie Benn cracks Ben Bishop, and we have a 2-1 game. Drouin adds a goal in the final minute of the second, and Ottawa are back up by two. 3-1 Ottawa.

The Senators have a very strong third period and end up heavily outshooting Dallas during the period to the point where they end up only behind 32-27 in shots by the end of the game. McCormick scores his 7th of the season late in the period to put Ottawa up 4-1, and despite being outshot, Ottawa beat Dallas.

Goaltending was clearly the difference tonight. Ben Bishop had a .969 save percentage while Lehtonen had an .852. Craig Smith had a 2 point night.​

:stars
OTTAWA (32-25-2) VS DALLAS (36-19-5)
Jason Spezza can be seen greeting some old friends as he arrives with team mates at the Canadian Tire Centre. The Senators will face the Stars for the second time in a row after beating them in a convincing 4-1 win.

Ottawa capitalizes on an early powerplay when Drouin beats Lehtonen. 1-0.

Klingberg ties the game but a DZINGEELLLLLLLLLL goal makes it 2-1 Ottawa. Ottawa have only gotten 4 shots on goal, but have scored on half of them.

Second period, Ottawa powerplay continues to click. Karlsson scores to put Ottawa ahead 3-1.

The game isn't over yet, former Senators Jason Spezza dazzles the home town crowd who for a second forget which team he plays for. Dallas are within one. 3-2 Ottawa.

Dallas pull their goalie. Just over a minute left. Janmark and Sharp both get shots in on Bishop. A bad bounce puts the puck on Ritchie's stick and I don't believe this, with 32 seconds remaining, the Stars have tied the game 3-3.

We head to overtime. In dramatic fashion with less than a minute remaining, Kyle Turris scores to get the Senators a 4-3 win.

With the trade deadline approaching, apparently there were multiple team scouts in the building. Pittsburgh, Tampa, Philadelphia, Winnipeg, Edmonton just to name a few. Kyle Turris looked like an all-star with a 3 point night. Karlsson continued one of the best seasons by a defensemen since Orr with a 3 point night.​

10 THOUGHTS
1-Anaheim apparently called about Ryan Dzingel. Dzingel had 41 points last year and with 31 points in 60 games is on his way to at least matching that total. Apparently the Ducks were told that it would take a massive overpayment for Dzingel to get moved. Dzingel still has room to grow and is on one of the best contracts in the league. After this season he still has two years left at only 1.4M per season.

2-Erik Karlsson continues to be the hottest topic in Ottawa. He has one year left on his current deal and after losing the Norris trophy last season has put together one of the best offensive seasons by a defensemen since the 80s. With 68 points, Karlsson is 5th in league scoring, only one point behind Stamkos. Although Karlsson will deny it, there has been speculation that he has been unhappy in Ottawa. He has one year left on his deal after this season. If Karlsson wants to walk as a free agent, we could see the Senators forced into a situation where they might have to trade him this off season in order to maximize his value.

3-With only 4 games to go until the trade deadline, Ottawa has a 6 point lead on the last wild card spot. They currently sit third in the Atlantic. There is lots of chatter that Ottawa is going to be very active at the deadline.

4-There is a persistent rumours that the Blue Jackets are ready to move on from 31 year old Jack Johnson. According to Bob McKenzie, Johnson is looking to move on and wants to go to a contender where he can be a big part of a deep playoff run and set himself up for one final big contract after the fiasco with his parents financially ruining him. Staying in CBJ isn't an option for him. Being a bottom 5 team, the Blue Jackets seem more than happy to meet his request. The apparent asking price is a 1st round pick and a good young player. New Jersey and Boston are apparently both front runners, while Edmonton could also make a pitch for Johnson.

5-The next few games will be big for Tampa Bay who might be active at the trade deadline. They are two points out of a playoff spot and have players like Garrison and Filpula who are set to become UFAs.

6-It looks like Edmonton might actually snap their 10+ year streak of missing the playoffs. 4 games away from the deadline, the Oilers are third in the Pacific. They are still rumoured to be open to moving Matthews who only has 21 points so far in his sophomore season, but it'd apparently take a big return of youngish players who can help them win now and not prospects or picks. Their big need is still a top pairing RHD.

7-The Senators apparently are open to moving their first round pick at this upcoming draft. They've had 4 first rounders in the last two draft which makes them feel like they have flexibility to move it in the right deal. The Sens are still attached to Keanu Yamamoto out of Pittsburgh, but the Penguins want both 2nd liner Brock Nelson and Ottawa's 1st round pick. Yamamoto was taken 26th in 2016.

8-Speaking of the draft, David Levin is falling. Levin was selected 1st overall a few years back in the OHL draft. The left winger is expected to be around sometime in the third round. The Senators currently do not own a third round pick, but they have Anaheims pick which should be in the 50-60 range. Maybe they'd consider trading back to get Levin.

9-Expect Evander Kane to hit the open market this off season. The Sabres have to re-up Eichel, Reinhart, and Ristolainen this off season. Eichel and Reinhart are still on their ELCs and will command huge raises. Kane is expected to get a huge contract, one that the Sabres cannot give him. He had 38 goals last season and has 27 this year in only 60 games.

10-There's talk about acquiring a bottom 6 player and sending Perron back down to the AHL. Francis Perron has only managed 6 goals and 21 points this season while being unable to stick in Ottawa's top 6.​

BONUS FOUR GAMES

OTTAWA (33-35-2) VS FLORIDA (27-28-6)
The Senators face the Panthers who have made improvements over last season, but seem to be eliminated from playoff contention.

Jokinen scores early for Florida. The Senators cannot capitalize on a mid first period powerplay and go into the second still down by one.

A Dion Phaneuf PP goal ties the game early in the second. 1-1.

Both teams are playing a relatively even game with equal shots.

BUDDY ROBINSON! The 4th liner scores early in the third to give Ottawa the lead. 2-1. Eric Staal ties the game late int the period but a Cody Ceci goal gives Ottawa the lead. 3-2.

Max McCormick puts his 8h of the season into an empty Florida net, and Ottawa win 4-2. Ben Bishop had a .943 save percentage while Colin White looked impressive in front of a row of scouts by scoring 2 points.​

OTTAWA (34-24-2) VS BOSTON (32-23-7)
This might be the biggest game of the Senators season so far. The Sens are only a point behind Boston, and for the first time this year with a win could take the second spot in the Atlantic division. Marc Methot returns to his hometown that traded him away, while Rask and Bishop battle not just for the win but also to prove who should take home the Vezina trophy this season.

Lots of tension in the room before the game. The players understand the stakes here. This could be a playoff preview in the making. In what is a huge surprise, there is a last minute substitution, Subban starts in net.

Ottawa dominate the first period, they outshoot Boston 11-3 but neither team can score.

Second period action, Craig Smith opens the scoring. Ottawa up 1-0.

Brad Marchand ties the game on the PP and we go into the third period with things stuck at 1-1.

With the Senators outshooting Boston 33-21, Craig Smith gets his second of the evening. 2-1 Ottawa.

In what is a huge confidence booster, the Senators outplay the Bruins by a wide margin. They outshoot them 39-26 with Malcolm Subban being the only reason the game was close.​

OTTAWA (35-25-2) VS BUFFALO (35-18-9)
Another big game for Ottawa against a division rival. Both the Sabres and Senators have 35 wins, but the Sabres sit 7 points ahead of Ottawa as a result of the loser point. Kane has just hit 30 goals and Stamkos is 4th in scoring with 73 points which is only 3 more than Erik Karlsson who has 70. Chad Johnson has seemingly taken over the starting gig leaving former Senator Robin Lehner in limbo.

Second shot of the game and Drouin beats Johnson. Ottawa maintain a 1-0 lead in the first.

31 goals, that's what Evander Kane has now scored. The game is tied 1-1.

While on the PP, Ottawa allow a ROR breakaway which leads to a SH goal. Sabres up 2-1.

The Senators are being heavily outshot in the third period. Girgensons scores, Sabres are now up 3-1 with 4:20 remaining. This game is all but over.

2:17 remaining, Ryan DZINGEEELLLLL scores. Ottawa within 1, but with little time remaining, they aren't likely to come home with the victorMARKKKKKSTONE SCOOOOOOREESSSSSSSSS. With less than a minute left, Mark Stone completes the comeback, Ottawa crawls back from a 3-1 deficit. Huge goal. We're going to OT.

OT solves nothing. Ben Bishop is perfect in the shootout and Ryan Spooner beats Chad Johnson on Ottawa's third attempt. Players flood the ice and congratulate Spooner. The Senators somehow find a way to win this game.

Stone, Ceci, and Dzingel all had 2 point nights. The Senators get their fifth straight victory​

OTTAWA (36-25-2) VS NASHVILLE (34-23-6)
The Predators are a point out of the playoffs, while the Senators sit second in the Atlantic after winning their last five straight games.

The Senators get a 5 on 3 PP opportunity early in the first. Former Predator Craig Smith converts, and Ottawa is up 1-0.

Filip Forsberg ties the game mid way through the second and wouldn't you know Mike Hoffman scores on his former team. Preds up 2-1.

Both teams exchange goals to close out the second and we've got a 3-2 game with the Predators leading.

The Senators trail in the third period and can't seem to get back on the board. Another Craig Smith goal with a minute remaining makes Sens fans believe that they can forge anther miracle last minute comeback, but it isn't meant to be. Senators lost 4-3 and their winning streak is snapped at 5.

Craig Smith is the first star with 2 goals and 3 hits. Karlsson has a two point night. That's our last game before the trade deadline.​

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
nhl_2015_tradedeadline_primary.jpg

@BobMcKenzie-Trade deadline coming up tomorrow. A 35-26-2 record for the Senators puts them in a position to make a move or two. Brock Nelson, Francis Perron, are names that are coming up. Ottawa wants to improve their team going into the playoffs. Teams still calling about Erik Karlsson and Kyle Turris, but don't expect them to be sold off.

Don Corleone

Jul 9, 2013
I look at the line-ups some have posted and cannot help to think that how can you resist not making a better team. It is so easy to build an all star roster, laughably easy if you pick a good team.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

H2gw03b.jpg

SEASON 2 (2017-2018)

PAST SEASON 2 EPISODES
1-OFF SEASON PREVIEW
2-2017 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
3-2017 FREE AGENT FRENZY
5-S02E01
6-S02E02
7-S02E03
8-S02E04
9-S02E05
10-S02E06
10-S02E07
11-S02E08
12-S02E09
13-S12E10

2018 TRADE DEADLINE

johnson-jack-940-8col.jpg

Confirmed trade with link [BOS/CBJ] 2018 1st+J.Henderson+E.Johansson for Jack Johnson and Matt Calvert
After being pushed out of the 2nd place spot in the Atlantic, the Bruins have responded by making a huge acquisition. They've traded their 1st round pick along with 4* prospect J.Henderson for Jack Johnson and depth forward Matt Calvert. Johnson is set to become an unrestricted free agent and will be the highest OA defender on the Bruins roster. Johansson is a throw in contract who may not be qualified by CBJ, while Henderson is a 4* prospect who was selected early in the third round of the 2016 draft by the Bruins.​

DL_4.23.14_Nelson1.jpg

Confirmed trade with link [OTT/PIT] Brock Nelson+2018 OTT 1st+2020 OTT 5th for Keanu Yamamoto+Eric Fehr
This is a trade that has been a long time coming. Both teams apparently had a deal around Yamamoto done last trade deadline when MacArthur was available, but the with MacArthur refusing to waive his no trade clause, Ottawa was forced to instead send him to Edmonton.

The Senators have highly coveted prospect Keanu Yamamoto since they missed out on him in 2016 after being unable to trade into the end of the first round. Only time will tell whether or not they overpaid for a bag of magic beans.

Yamamoto's value has shot up since he was taken 29th by Pittsburgh. The Penguins have needed a top 6 left handed forward since Kunitz retired. They not only got that, but got a first round pick back as well.

The Senators gave up a big package to acquire Brock Nelson from the Islanders, but he never quite lived up to his potential in Ottawa. After proving he could be a strong 2nd line player on the Islanders, Nelson stagnated in Ottawa. In Pittsburgh, he'll get a shot in the top 6 at playing with Malkin or Crosby.

Ottawa insisted on getting back a bottom 6 forward to fill Nelson's spot. Eric Fehr comes Ottawa's way in the deal. Fehr is expected to play on Ottawa's third or fourth line and can add a physical two way presence while being an asset in the locker room.

This is a possible big overpayment by Ottawa, but they believe that Yamamoto has a lot of upside, and that Fehr can play the role Nelson was playing in their bottom 6 going into the playoffs.​

hi-res-184305911-brad-richards-of-the-new-york-rangers-looks-on-prior-to_crop_north.jpg

Confirmed trade with link [NYR/LA] Brad Richards for a 3rd round pick and Evan de Haan
Brad Richards is on the move again. The now journeyman centre has been sent from NYR to the LA Kings for a pick and a prospect. Richards had a short stint with Ottawa two seasons ago.​

111210_zack.jpg

Confirmed trade with link [OTT/NYI] Jeremy Helvig for Zack Smith
Another trade that is stretching the limit of Senators assets. The Ottawa Senators give up WSH 2017 55th overall pick goalie Jeremy Helvig in order to re-acquire Zack Smith from the New York Islanders.

Smith was originally drafted in Ottawa and had his greatest season on the team when he scored 25 goals in 2016. Traded by Ottawa to Nashville in the Hoffman deal, Smith hasn't been able to top his career best. He had a modest 11 goals and 21 points this season with the Islanders, but with NYI looking to be out of the playoffs barring a late season run, they were open to trading the 29 year old LW/C.

Smith has two years left on a deal paying him 2.3M and will likely be an integral part of the Senators middle 6 going into the playoffs. Helvig was the big piece acquired by Ottawa from Washington in the Matt O'Connor deal.​

turris-sens_620-thumb-620xauto-296092.jpg

Confirmed trade with link [OTT/PHI] Kyle Turris+Colin White+Conditional ANA 2018 2nd for Claude Giroux
“We never once were looking to trade Turris, but sometimes teams come to you with deals that you just cannot pass up on.”-GMDP when asked about the trade

“It's....shocking. I saw myself signing an extension, playing out my career here...I mean in Ottawa. It is going to take some time to really digest.”-Kyle Turris on being traded

“They are a world class organization and I am thrilled to go and play in my home town. I am grateful for everything the Flyers have done for me and my family. Having an opportunity to play with a player like Karlsson is something some players will never get. I think we have a great chance at bringing a cup back to Canada this season.”-Claude Giroux on being traded to Ottawa

The Ottawa Senators have made perhaps the biggest trade in their franchise's history. They've packaged Kyle Turris, Colin White, and a conditional 2nd round pick to Philadelphia for Claude Giroux.

The Flyers initially acquired Bobby Ryan from Ottawa two seasons ago, thinking that Ryan could be the final piece to help the team get over the hump. Two seasons later, quite a bit has changed. The Flyers had an uneventful 5 game exit out of the first round of the playoffs last year, and this season are on pace to miss the playoffs entirely. Not only that, 25 year old Sean Couturier has emerged as a world class centre. He has arguably leap frogged Claude Giroux as the teams go to guy. In 16-17 Couturier had 32 goals and 79 points while displaying relentless 2 way play, Giroux only managed to put up 68 points despite having better line mates.

Giroux had a comeback year this season, he is currently third in NHL scoring, but nearing 31 and with a cap hit well over 8 million, the Flyers seemed to see his comeback year as the last opportunity to trade him and move on to building their team as a playoff contender. Prior to this trade, the Flyers had almost no cap space and have multiple players to re-sign. Turris is not only younger than Giroux, but he might come at 2-3 million cheaper when re-signed.

The Flyers also acquired former 21st overall pick Colin White. White has had trouble moving up Ottawa's lineup. He's been the team's fourth line centre. With the Flyers weak at centre, he should move into the third line role and eat up big minutes on the PK right away. Travis Konecny is back in the AHL, and the Flyers can now look forward to next season where they'll have Couturier/Turris/White/Konecny down the middle.

If the Senators make it to the conference final, they will have to give the Flyers their 2019 first round pick instead of the 2018 Anaheim second.

For the Senators, this trade serves two purposes. One, to load up the team going into the playoffs with a top 3 goal scorer, and two to get the best player in the deal. The Sens will have a tough time working out a team budget with 8.2M devoted to Giroux, 7.5M devoted to Bishop, and Karlsson who makes 6.5M likely looking for a raise soon, but the team finally has the elite 1st line centre that they have been missing since Spezza left.​

AssetImage

POST TRADE DEADLINE RADIO HIGHLIGHTS
-The locker room is divided about the Turris trade. There is excitement at bringing in a player of Giroux's calibre but Turris was a huge part of the leadership core, and Sens management trading away a player who wanted to stay in Ottawa and was one of the few who consistently delivered at forward has rubbed some players the wrong way. This has been a tough year with Sens management really testing the limits of the room as they traded away Methot, MacArthur, and Turris all within less than a year. This might be a big reason why Ottawa went and re-acquired Zack Smith.

-Talk about the rumours that the Giroux trade was made as an olive branch to Karlsson. The rumour is that the team wants to show Karlsson they are committed to winning as he'll be a year away from unrestricted free agency after this season.

-Giroux is also a contingency plan if Karlsson informs the team he won't extend next year. It gives them a big local star to build around and sell tickets. Soften the blow of Karlsson possibly leaving.

-The team wasn't happy with the off season Colin White had. He was banged up a lot during his college career. The thought is that injuries could have hampered his development. White wasn't the Flyers first choice prospect wise, but the fact that he is NHL ready and will be their 3rd line centre right away was a big factor for them and resulted in them “choosing” White from Ottawa. The Flyers have awful depth at centre and because of it at times were forced to rush Travis Konecny due to injuries. Unlike Konecny who still needs some seasoning, Colin White is ready to play a bottom 6 role in the NHL.

-White was drafted in 21st in 2016, there is still a lot of upside if he puts it together but Ottawa has a deep prospect pool at centre and has JG Pageau locked up until 2021.

-Ottawa was looking at a few options before acquiring Smith. They talked to Arizona about acquiring Vermette, but age and contract status hampered the deal. Vermette had 1 year left at 4M after this season.

-Giving up a 1st+2nd liner Brock Nelson for Yamamoto has been a polarizing move. Most people are surprised that it wasn't a 1 for 1 deal given that Nelson is still a young RFA 2nd liner who has scored 20+ goals in the past, and Yamamoto was taken near the end of the 1st round in his draft year. Apparently Ottawa had Yamamoto high on their list in the stacked 2016 draft but couldn't trade up. The pick given up in the trade will likely be in the last 10 of the draft, where Ottawa doesn't think they'll get a player with the upside of Yamamoto which is why Ottawa pulled the trigger on the deal.

With Giroux's salary added, Ottawa wasn't likely able to fit Nelson who is an RFA in long term as he'll likely want 3-4 million. With the usage of Nelson on the third line, Fehr for Nelson is a wash in the short term. Pittsburgh is likely to give Nelson a much bigger role than Ottawa and use him on a line with Malkin. It has to be noted that Ottawa had no high end right handed wingers in their prospect pool prior to this trade. Getting one was a huge priority.

-The Senators aren't high on the top 60 of this draft. There is said to be a big dropoff after the top 5 or so, and another big drop off after the top 40. They were fine with trading their picks because they've drafted 6 times in the first round over the last three drafts which has net them Chabot (18), White (21), Howden (12), Steel (13), Ferguson (10), and Lapierre (19). With the addition of Yamamoto, they feel they have a loaded prospect pool with high end prospects at every position except for RD where their best prospect is 2016 3rd round pick Jarret Meyer.

-Both NYI and PHI could still make the playoffs but there is a good chance they'll miss, which is why NYI was comfortable moving Smith for a good asset.

-The price for Zetterberg was extremely low, but nobody bit. He has multiple years left on his contract and is approaching 40.

-Ottawa and Tampa had preliminary talks about Garrison, but nothing came of it.​

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I just want to finish my 25 years. So **** off beautiful posts:laugh::cry: Will keep just the trophies, history.

:caps
2030-2031 (17th season)

Won another prez trophy. 58-22-2
R.Sauve, traded this summer, 50 goals.

McDavid dropped to 90 just before the season, and to 89 during the Playoffs

:sc09:

1st round

:caps vs :canes

Game | Away | Score | Home |
1|Hurricanes|4 @ 1|Capitals|
2|Hurricanes|1 @ 5|Capitals|
3|Capitals|3 @ 1|Hurricanes|
4|Capitals|5 @ 4|Hurricanes|
5|Hurricanes|3 @ 1|Capitals|
6|Capitals|2 @ 1 (OT)|Hurricanes|Wilson, the captain, with the GWG

2nd round

:caps vs :flyers

1|Flyers|0 @ 2|Capitals|20 saves for Tanaka
2|Flyers|1 @ 4|Capitals|
3|Capitals|2 @ 1|Flyers|
4|Capitals|3 @ 4|Flyers|
5|Flyers|3 @ 0|Capitals|31 saves for Loktionov
6|Capitals|3 @ 1|Flyers|

Eastern Conference Final

:caps vs :sens

1|Senators|1 @ 4|Capitals|
2|Senators|2 @ 6|Capitals|
3|Capitals|3 @ 0|Senators|30 saves for Tanaka
4|Capitals|6 @ 3|Senators|

Sweep

Stanley Cup Final

:caps vs :nucks

1|Canucks|1 @ 2|Capitals|
2|Canucks|2 @ 3 (OT)|Capitals|Brown in the OT for the GWG
3|Capitals|1 @ 2 (OT)|Canucks|Virtanen the GWG in OT
4|Capitals|3 @ 2 (OT)|Canucks|Kylington wins it late in 1st OT
5|Canucks|5 @ 4 (OT)|Capitals|A penalty shot by Hoffman on PP ends this game
6|Capitals|4 @ 2|Canucks|

Vancouver the title holder. 4 OT:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

DYNASTY:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Tanaka another Conn Smythe

Wilson will lift his last cup, retirement for the captain. McDavid will be the new captain

:ahl:

Hershey Bears

1st Round

Hershey Bears VS Lehigh Valley Phantoms

Won in 5.

2nd Round

Providence Bruins VS Hershey Bears

Won in 6.

Eastern Conference Final

Syracuse Crunch VS Hershey Bears

Won in 6.

Calder Cup Final

Hershey Bears VS Grand Rapids Griffins

Won in 6.

FIRST TIME IN 17 YEARS, I WON BOTH CHAMPIONSHIPS IN THE SAME SEASON:handclap::handclap::):):)

5th SC and 3rd CC

My Trophies

5 x Stanley Cup | Washington Capitals |2018, 2020, 2028, 2029 and 2031
9 x Presidents' Trophy | Washington Capitals |2019, 2023 - 2025, 2027 - 2031
7 x Prince of Wales Trophy | Washington Capitals |2015, 2018 - 2020, 2028, 2029 and 2031
12 x Metropolitan Division Winner | Washington Capitals |2018 - 2020, 2022 - 2029 and 2031
Hart Memorial Trophy |Alexander Ovechkin|2016
5 x Hart Memorial Trophy |Connor McDavid|2024, 2027, 2029 - 2031
Art Ross Trophy |Alexander Ovechkin|2016
4 x Art Ross Trophy |Connor McDavid|2024, 2027, 2029 and 2030
2 x Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy |Alexander Ovechkin|2016 and 2020
Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy |Connor McDavid|2024
Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy |Rene Sauve|2031
2 x James Norris Memorial Trophy |Ivan Provorov|2022 and 2024
James Norris Memorial Trophy |Sergey Bykov|2031
2 x Vezina Trophy |John Gibson|2024 and 2025
3 x Vezina Trophy |Mark Tanaka|2029 - 2031
William M. Jennings Trophy |John Gibson and Edgar MacLeod|2024
William M. Jennings Trophy |Mark Tanaka and Sergey Loktionov|2029
2 x William M. Jennings Trophy |Mark Tanaka|2030 and 2031
Ted Lindsay Award |Alexander Ovechkin|2016
2 x Ted Lindsay Award |Connor McDavid|2024 and 2027
3 x Ted Lindsay Award |Mark Tanaka|2029 - 2031
Calder Memorial Trophy |Andre Burakovsky|2015
Calder Memorial Trophy |Connor McDavid|2017
Calder Memorial Trophy |Ivan Provorov|2021
Calder Memorial Trophy |Mark Tanaka|2026
3 x Lady Byng Memorial Trophy |Connor McDavid|2024, 2027 and 2029
Conn Smythe Trophy |Semyon Varlamov|2018
Conn Smythe Trophy |Nicklas Backstrom|2020
3 x Conn Smythe Trophy |Mark Tanaka|2028, 2029 and 2031

:ahl:

3 x Calder Cup | Hershey Bears |2021, 2022 and 2031
7 x MacGregor Kilpatrick Trophy | Hershey Bears |2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2027, 2029 and 2030
5 x Richard F. Canning Trophy | Hershey Bears |2016, 2021 - 2023 and 2031
11 x Frank S. Mathers Trophy | Hershey Bears |2015 - 2020, 2022, 2027 - 2030
Les Cunningham Award |Ivan Provorov|2020
John B. Sollenberger Trophy |Ivan Provorov|2020
Eddie Shore Award |Connor Carrick|2016
2 x Eddie Shore Award |Ivan Provorov|2019 and 2020
Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award |Dustin Tokarski|2020
2 x Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award |Etienne Montpetit|2022 and 2023
Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award |Mark Tanaka|2025
3 x Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award |Edgar MacLeod|2027 - 2029
Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award |Nicolas Lachance|2030
Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award |Mark Tanaka|2025
Harry "Hap" Holmes Memorial Award |Edgar MacLeod|2027
2 x Jack A. Butterfield Trophy |Etienne Montpetit|2021 and 2022
Jack A. Butterfield Trophy |Jeffrey Saga|2031

Recap

| Washington Capitals | Hershey Bears 2015 |Stanley Cup Final|1st Round
2016 |2nd Round|Calder Cup Final
2017 |Eastern Conference Final|2nd Round
2018 |
CHAMPION​
|Eastern Conference Final
2019 |Stanley Cup Final|1st Round
2020 |
CHAMPION​
|1st Round
2021 |2nd Round|
CHAMPION​
2022 |2nd Round|
CHAMPION​
2023 |1st Round|Calder Cup Final
2024 |1st Round|2nd Round
2025 |1st Round|1st Round
2026 |Eastern Conference Final|1st Round
2027 |Eastern Conference Final|1st Round
2028 |
CHAMPION​
|Eastern Conference Final
2029 |
CHAMPION​
|2nd Round
2030 |1st Round|1st Round
2031 |
CHAMPION​
|
CHAMPION​

Stanley Cup Finals History

| Champion | Finalist | Games 2015 |Saint Louis Blues| Washington Capitals |
7​
2016 |Boston Bruins|Chicago Blackhawks|
6​
2017 |Boston Bruins|Los Angeles Kings|
4​
2018 | Washington Capitals |Nashville Predators|
6​
2019 |Anaheim Ducks| Washington Capitals |
6​
2020 | Washington Capitals |Los Angeles Kings|
7​
2021 |Los Angeles Kings|Boston Bruins|
7​
2022 |Toronto Maple Leafs|Edmonton Oilers|
6​
2023 |Tampa Bay Lightning|Edmonton Oilers|
4​
2024 |New York Islanders|Colorado Avalanche|
5​
2025 |Carolina Hurricanes|Minnesota Wild|
5​
2026 |Dallas Stars|Tampa Bay Lightning|
6​
2027 |Buffalo Sabres|Arizona Coyotes|
5​
2028 | Washington Capitals |Chicago Blackhawks|
6​
2029 | Washington Capitals |San Jose Sharks|
6​
2030 |Vancouver Canucks|Ottawa Senators|
5​
2031 | Washington Capitals |Vancouver Canucks|
6​

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia

images

2017-2018 NHL Season

Season Preview

images

September 17th, 2017
Player | OVR | Age | Position | Potential | Years | AAV
Zach Redmond | 79 | 29 | D | Exact 7th D | 3 | .850M

Henrik Lundqvist returns for yet another season following his runner-up Vezina Trophy performance. Backup Antti Raanta returns for the last season of his contract, and presumably the last of his Rangers career after 2 terrible seasons.

The Rangers defensive corps remains intact, with every player presumably safely cemented in their role, minus Marc Staal. The declining veteran could be on the move, or bought out, if he worsens this season.

In a surprise move, Patrik Laine did not make the club out of training camp. Rookie Cristoval "Boo" Nieves beat him out for Radim Vrbata's vacated spot. Laine returns to Hartford to "season his game", a.k.a dominate the league. The rest of last seasons underwhelming forward group returns, with GM Brant King obviously banking on a rebound.

LW | C | RW
Oshie 88 | Stepan 88 | Nash 86
Kreider 86 | Zibanejad 85 | Zuccarello 86
Buchnevich 86 | Miller 84 | Hayes 84
Grabner 83 | Nieves 83 | Jensen 83

LD | RD
McDonagh 90 | Ceci 87
Staal 84 | Skjei 84

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 92 | Antti Raanta 82

First Half in Review

New York Rangers
28-8-5 | 15-2-2 | 13-6-3 | 1st | 1st | 1st | Yes

Top 5 Scorers
Rick Nash | 13 | 24 | 37
Derek Stepan | 13 | 23 | 36
T.J Oshie | 7 | 23 | 30
Pavel Buchnevich | 13 | 13 | 26
Kevin Hayes | 8 | 17 | 25

Goalies
Henrik Lundqvist | 22-6-3 | .922 SV% | 2.32 GAA
Antti Raanta | 6-2-2 | .932 SV% | 1.91 GAA

During the first half of the 2017-2018 NHL Season, the New York Rangers put themselves in a very favorable position. With a 7 point lead atop the League, the Rangers looked primed to have another big season. Their early season surge was propelled by a 12 game winning streak from mid November to early December.

Henrik Lundqvist is having a season along the lines of his career average. There is no issue with that as his career average is stellar. His 22 wins rank 1st in the league and every other stat is in the Top 20. Meanwhile Antti Raanta, whose job is on the line, must have finally realized it. With a .932 SV% he is easily the best backup goalie in the league at this point. If he can keep this up, expect to see him get a 1 year extension with the Rangers...if not he will most definitely be let go.

What a turnaround Marc Staal has had. With a plus-20 he leads all Rangers in +/-. Brady Skjei, his partner, is a +19. The top pairing of Ryan McDonagh and Cody Ceci is dominating offensively , but hovering around and even +/-. That is worrisome but they are clicking so they will continue to be paired together. GM Brant King looks wise to have signed Adam Clendening to a 1 year deal as his offensive production (his main asset) has not been up to par. Ryan Stanton; the teams 6th defenseman, has been just that. He's been servicable, but it's an area that will most likely be upgraded at the Trade Deadline.

The Rangers first line has been dominant. Rick Nash, 12th in league scoring, is also on pace to have his highest point total since 2008-2009 and Derek Stepan is on pace for a career high in points. Meanwhile, their 3rd amigo T.J Oshie, should be able to reach 60 points for the 3rd time in 4 years. Pavel Buchnevich is having yet another solid year, while Kevin Hayes has rebounded quite nicely for the blueshirts. Mika Zibanejad is having an underwhelming year, as are Mats Zuccarello and Chris Kreider. This marks the second year in Chris Kreiders deal where he will most likely be unable to hit 50 points despite those being the expectations when he signed his deal. J.T Miller has not rebounded from his down year and in return will not get the term, or money, he wants on his next deal. Boo Nieves, Nick Jensen and Michael Grabner has formed a serviceable 4th line. Despite them all being around an even +/-, they have been able to sustain pressure in the other teams zone for long periods of time and tire them out with their relentless speed, something that a 4th line must be able to do.

Heading into the Trade Deadline, the Rangers are in need of a 2nd line scorer who can put the puck in the net. Patrik Laine will be able to develop into that role next season, but the Rangers need someone now. Look for a rental pickup. They also could benefit from a 3rd pairing defender as that's an area that could become an issue down the stretch. Here are some possible targets:

images

Duncan Siemens is an interesting option for the Rangers. With Colorado having an extremely deep left side, Siemens was switched to the right side. Rumor has it he's unhappy and wants to find an NHL home where he can play on the left side. In 39 games, Siemens has 2 goals and 9 points. He has 2 years at 1.810 per remaining on his deal.

images

James Van Riemsdyk is a young power forward who actually puts up points (ahem Kreider). An ideal situation would be a trade involving JVR for Kreider+, depending on what the + was. He is a UFA after seasons end so it would be tricky but it's a risk the Rangers GM Brant King isn't afraid to take; as we've seen before. In 37 games JVR has 26 points (14-12).

Trade Deadline

images

Rangers GM Brant King ultimately decided to stand pat with his roster that is currently 1st in the NHL. HE made a push for Evander Kane, but cap space and expiring contracts made his hold back. Also, there is uncertainty about Henrik Lundqvist. If he decides to retire, the Rangers would need ample cap space to replace him in Free Agency. At one point he was shopping the underperfroming Adam Clendening but his play was bad enough that no one wanted him. If he is brought back it will be on a 1 year deal.

Although no moves were made, the Rangers lines did change a little.

LW | C | RW
Oshie 88 | Zibanejad 85 | Zuccarello 86
Kredier 86 | Stepan 88 | Nash 87
Buchnevich 85 | Miller 84 | Hayes 84
Grabner 83 | Nieves 83 | Jensen 83

LD | RD
MDonagh 90 | Ceci 88
Staal 84 | Skjei 85

Starter | Backup
Lundqvist 91 | Raanta 83

Season Recap

images

images

BREAKING NEWS: Marc Staal has Post Concussion Syndrome, will most likely be out until Draft.
March 22nd, 2018
Marc Staal was in the midst of a great bounceback season on the second pairing with Brady Skjei. They were both sitting at +23. Skjei will now switch to the left side, Clendening will move up to the second pairing, and Zach Redmond will hop in on the third pairing.​

The Rangers continued to be the best team in hockey after the Trade Deadline, going 16-3-0. This push, put their season among the best ever. It was a special season for the Rangers as they set club records for most wins in an 82 game season, least loses, and most points.

Henrik Lundqvist was once again incredible, defying the laws of goaltending. In another season where people questioned if he could be in decline, Lundqvist proved all doubters wrong. He posted an all-world .928 SV% to go along with 47 wins, the second most among goalies ever (Really 3rd; Holtby and Brodeur = 48). Although he won't win the Vezina and these numbers are down from last years, the are still incredible. Backup Antti Raanta has likely seen his last season as a Rangers after his play fell off a cliff down the stretch. With Lundqvist now 36, possibly retiring, and the Rangers needing to reduce his workload; they need someone who has put up much better numbers than Raanta. He registered a .913 SV%, below the league average.

The New York Rangers defensive core was for the most part a bright spot. The top pairing of Ryan McDonagh and Cody Ceci had a wonderful year. Ryan McDonagh was a +20 while he posted a career high 16 goals. Although his 37 points are not a career high, it is still very respectable. Cody Ceci posted a career high in assists (31), +/- (18) points (41), and tied a career high in goals (10) during his second season as a top pairing defender. Marc Staal had a bounce back year, really showing he can still play and is worth the money that's being spent on him. While playing in 74 games, he put up a career high +23. His partner, Brady Skjei, was glorious for the Blueshirts getting 10 points while being arguably the Rangers best defensive defender. Ryan Stanton and Zach Redmond were cheap 6th/7th defenders for the club and they provided tremendous value for the team. The lone disappointment was Adam Clendening. He got a chance to prove himself worthy up a longer term and more money, but failed miserably. Being even, along with just 8 points for the offensive defender just isn't enough. It would be a surprise to see him back next season.

Rick Nash was incredible for the Rangers during a year in which he needs a new contract. At 33, Nash put up a career high in assists (47) and points (83) while also finishing 4th in total goals in the NHL. His 83 points puts him top-5 in the league. Derek Stepan benefited the most from Nash, who was his linemate for the whole year.. Stepan put up career highs in assists, points, powerplay goals and also tied his career high in goals (set in 2016-17) of 23. T.J Oshie had 61 points, giving the Rangers great value on his new deal. Not only that, but like Stepan and Nash, he played a key role on both special teams units. Despite slow starts to the year, J.T Miller, Kevin Hayes, Mika Zibanejad and Pavel Buchnevich all came close to; or exceeded, last seasons totals. That is great news because that is the Rangers young core that will eventually take over the team as veterans. (Buchnevich hit 50 points for the first time in his career). Veteran Mats Zuccarello rebounded to get above 50 points again, and with just one more year left on his deal, he should be sticking around New York. The 4th line of Grabner, Jensen and Nieves were all minuses, so the dynamics of that line will most definitely be changed nest season. With the team on a roll right now, things will most likely be staying the same heading into the playoffs. Chris Kreider failed to elevate his game for the second season in a row of his new deal. Despite the Rangers reluctance to give up on the power forward, they have not gotten the type of return they wanted from him. He is in rough waters this offseason as he could be on his way out of New York.

New York Rangers
57-18-7 | 31-7-3 | 26-11-4 | 1st | 1st | 1st | Yes

Top 5 Scorers
Rick Nash | 36 | 47 | 83
Derek Stepan | 23 | 48 | 71
T.J Oshie | 19 | 42 | 61
Mika Zibanejad | 18 | 36 | 54
Mats Zuccarello | 23 | 29 | 52

Goalies
Hernik Lundqvist | 47-13-5 | .928 SV% | 2.16 GAA
Antti Raanta | 10-5-2 | .913 SV% | 2.45 GAA