Salary Cap: Be a GM Mode | Is it October yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Excellent point.

If anyone has untapped potential secondary to "ineffective coaching" (politically correctly stated), Girgensons the player. Additionally, GMJR appears to be nicely enabled in successfully ferreting out reclamation projects. Furthermore, at 1.6 million for 2-years, Girg is comfortably within JR's budget perspective.

I guess the question is why would a new regime in Buffalo under Botts trade away a young guy with potential before they see what he has under a new coach?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I guess the question is why would a new regime in Buffalo under Botts trade away a young guy with potential before they see what he has under a new coach?

He may not want to, but getting a guy he knows in Wilson or a guy who fills an organization need in Pouliot may be attractive to him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He may not want to, but getting a guy he knows in Wilson or a guy who fills an organization need in Pouliot may be attractive to him.

Yeah that's reasonable. Just knowing how valuable centers are, particularly those that can play wing and had produced 30 points as a teenager, I wouldn't be trading Girgensons for Wilson or Pouliot if I were Botts. I would wait to see what I had in my young guys before I made any material changes with them.

On the Pens side, Girgensons is an attractive buy low option, although his faceoff % blows (44.8% career).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't really care what HF voted. I'm just saying he's not the same Tanger of yesterday. He doesn't control the play anymore. He is still a solid dman but nowhere near as good as he once was. That's all.

Letang has never been better than he was in 2016. Had he played the whole season under Sully, I think he'd have won or at least been nominated for the Norris. And I would have had no problem giving him the Conn Smythe. So I have to ask what you're basing this on? The half season where he only put up 34 points in 41 games? Which is 4th for pts/game for d-men on the season.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah that's reasonable. Just knowing how valuable centers are, particularly those that can play wing and had produced 30 points as a teenager, I wouldn't be trading Girgensons for Wilson or Pouliot if I were Botts. I would wait to see what I had in my young guys before I made any material changes with them.

On the Pens side, Girgensons is an attractive buy low option, although his faceoff % blows (44.8% career).

That's fair to say. I could see Botterill thinking highly of Wilson though, since he was involved with him a lot with WBS and saw what he did as a rookie last year. Since Girgensons is currently slotted in at LW for the Sabres (Eichel, ROR and Larsson are their top-9 centers), I could see Botterill thinking Wilson has the upside to justify moving Girgensons for him. Buffalo is pretty thin at LW after Kane and Kane probably won't be around for that much longer.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Letang has never been better than he was in 2016. Had he played the whole season under Sully, I think he'd have won or at least been nominated for the Norris. And I would have had no problem giving him the Conn Smythe. So I have to ask what you're basing this on? The half season where he only put up 34 points in 41 games? Which is 4th for pts/game for d-men on the season.

And that's with a nagging injury for part of his games played iirc. It's not about the calibre of player he is because he is that elite #1, it's about how fragile he is and that you'd expect the injuries to take a toll eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad