Be a GM for a day

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Hey all, I’ve been reading Oilers HF for years now (not an active poster). I want you to put your thinking caps on and build a legitimate team that the Oilers could ice this season. Please think through your trades or signings fully (cap space). Maybe Chia will stumble across this page and a light bulb will go off lol. Armchair to the next level!! Cheers Oilers Nation!
Tried to keep it realistic. Tired of losing.

2019 3rd
+ 2019 7th + Matt Benning for Adam McQuaid

2019 2nd + 2020 2nd (conditional upon Dzingel re-signing) + Zack Kassian for Ryan Dzingel

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Dzingel
Yamamoto - Strome - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Brodziak - Rieder

(Lots of options for forward line combos)

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - McQuaid
Russell - Bouchard

Talbot
Koskinen

What do you think?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I love this thread because it shows how little can be done to fix the roster and many primarily have change the coach. Which I agree with.

Roster isn't near as bad as made out to be. If we had Sekera our roster would be solid.

Seeing prospects like Maximov and McLeod do well in the CHL. Berglund interesting in SEL. Our Ahl group look fine indeed... We should NOT be trading picks.

I still really like what ive seen from JP and Yama.

Even Lucic is currently looking decent despite the teams struggles.

To offset cap restrictions we need a steady stream of guys that can come in and help during thier ELCs or bargain bin contracts. Chiarelli is typ good at those kind of deals. If the odds finally work in our favor we can develop some talent.

Way worse rosters have done way better. Mclellan needs to figure it out or be moved ASAP. Thats the main thing.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Trade Lucic for Engelland. Trade Yammer and 1st for Nylander conditional on him signing. Trade Drai for Stone/Duchene (extend both). Sign Ebs and Doughty as UFA. If there’s cap space pick up Hall as UFA.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Trade 1: Pulju + 2nd 2019 for Gallagher

I suggested it on main trade boards, 2 Habs fans shot it down, but they didn't hate it, just said Pulju is too much of an unknown. NHL scouts actually make thorough assessments and I think they'd see the untapped potential in a misused Pulju. We lose the trade in the long run, but another year under TMac would probably ruin Pulju as well.

Trade 2: Caggulia for Heed

Heed has been a healthy scratch in SJ, but only because their right side is Burns, EK 65, Braun. Heed would be an ideal #6 to pair with Russel. Caggulia replaces some forward depth they lost in the EK trade.

Trade 3: Benning + 3rd for McQuaid

Rangers fans seem to have his value pegged at a 3rd. We make them take Benning to seal that deal.

Internal roster moves: Bouchard sent back to London after he gets a game in the home opener that his family can fly in for.

Yamamoto sent to Bakersfield.

Nuge-McD-Rattie
Looch-Drai-Gallagher
Khaira-Strome-Rieder
Chiasson-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Lars
Nurse-McQuaid
Russell-Heed

Talbot
Koskinen

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
1) I would hire a new head coach. Need a coach whos not a dinosaur, can adapt to the new nhl. Need a coach who can motivate players, challenge them, still allow them to have fun and put them in positions to succeed.

2) I think the team needs to support and protect their players (off the ice) better especially being in a canadian market. Hard to know how well the Oilers do this but I think there could be improvements made.

3) I really think at this point they need to try their hardest to move on from Lucic and Sekera contracts. It may not be possible without taking something (bad) back, but I think we might have to get a little creative to make it work. I had some hopes for Sekera, but after 2 major injuries, I dont have a lot of hope for him. The team will need cap room to be afford better depth.

4) Sounds cliche, but the team has to focus on every day getting better. The team needs to win more trades than they loose and they have to avoid losing a major trade. Need to make good decisions. Chiarelli has lost too many trades and hes lost some major ones.

5) Draft and develop. Its looked better the last couple years but still too early to say.

6) Improve the depth on the team.
Defense isnt good enough. Benning is not a top 4. I do think Bouchard will be a great player eventually so need a stop gap until then.

Offense isnt good enough. Need more depth. Need better wingers. I have some high hopes for some of our prospects but we need to get some better players until we know we have for sure.

Goaltending who knows. Need to figure out the future when it comes to goaltending. Our prospects are far away. We dont really know what we have in Talbot or Koskinen at this point. Talbot has looked great but hes also been really inconsistent.

I think we have a good framework but we definitely need improved depth.

Reactions: GameChanger

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Trade Lucic for Englannd. Trade Yammer and 1st for Nylander conditional on him signing. Trade Drai for Stone/Duchene (extend both). Sign Ebs and Doughty as UFA. If there’s cap space pick up Hall as UFA.

If the price for Nylander was Yamamoto and a first--that deal would have been done. Vegas says no to the Engelland deal becuase they will need the money for Karlsson and a few others this off season. IS that Stone and Duchene for Leon or just one? If it is both that cap says hi there salior and same with Eberle

and FYI

DD signed for 11 mill for 8 years with LAK in the off season

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If Chiarelli ever reads this thread:

Please fire yourself before McDavid requests a trade

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Free up cap

Go after E. Karlsson

Klefbom-Karlsson
Nurse-Larsson
Russell-Bouchard

Forwards are fine.

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
1. Hire New Coach with mad defensive systems
1a. Convince Sekera that his season is over (+5.5M)
2. Cap dump Lucic (plus a 2nd or a b-level prospect if necessary) to one of PHI, CAR, CBJ, or NJD - for a picks/prospects return of literally anything remotely useful* (-$6M)
3. Trade Nurse + Yamo + minor sweetener for William Nylander (sign ~7.5x7) and Timothy Liljegren (-3.2M +7.5M = net +4.3M)
4. Trade 2019 1st for Justin Faulk +2019 2nd (sweetener on either side as required)**
5. Trade Pulj + 2020 1st (yes, I just did that) for Chris Krieder +2019 2nd (+4M)

Nuge-McD-Rattie
Caggiula-Drai-Nylander
Krieder-Strome-Rieder
Khaira-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Russell-Faulk
Garrison-Bear

Talbot
Koskinen

*Couldn't care less if we get bent over. This is a pure cap dump, though we should be able to get *something* useful out of it

Last edited:

Proko88

May 6, 2010
Tried to keep it realistic. Tired of losing.

2019 3rd
+ 2019 7th + Matt Benning for Adam McQuaid

2019 2nd + 2020 2nd (conditional upon Dzingel re-signing) + Zack Kassian for Ryan Dzingel

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Dzingel
Yamamoto - Strome - Puljujarvi
Khaira - Brodziak - Rieder

(Lots of options for forward line combos)

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - McQuaid
Russell - Bouchard

Talbot
Koskinen

What do you think?
3rd line would probably get eaten alive

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad