Be a GM for a day

Proko88

May 6, 2010
Hey all, I’ve been reading Oilers HF for years now (not an active poster). I want you to put your thinking caps on and build a legitimate team that the Oilers could ice this season. Please think through your trades or signings fully (cap space). Maybe Chia will stumble across this page and a light bulb will go off lol. Armchair to the next level!! Cheers Oilers Nation!

Reactions: BlackDogg

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Trade/Waive Benning, put Garrison in. If Garisson flounders, I would try to see what I could get for my first round pick + and see if I can trade for top 4 D. Tired of waiting for the draft and hoping for the next savior. At least for 1 year I would try to get the ship going in the right direction asap and risk the pick and start winning games.

Edit: I am not thinking of firing the coach just yet. I will wait 10-15 games, and if it is looks completely hopeless. He is out the door.

Last edited:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Hire a psychologist.. maybe 20.. have them interview and survey each player.
find out why putting on Oiler jersey turns player into crappy hockey player. Why no one develops here etc.

Deal with results.
Wives are bored and harass them... new team policy no girls. :P

I really don't have an answer and I can't understand why we consistently have so many under performers or players that never seem to improve.
We've been through a bazillion coaches and gm's. There's something about this city or organisation that makes for a crappy hockey team.

Take Leon for example. Will we ever see playoff Leon return for more than a game at a time? I have my doubts.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
We are definitely in a position where nobody, I mean absolutely no one, should even consider trading our first round pick. Look where Ottawa is now and we don’t have a clue are we going to be lottery team or WC team. Next draft will be good again especially when we are short of good wingers.

I would play season as it goes (without panic moves, because they very rarely help when team is bad) and trade away under performing vets at TDL and give our prospects some chances to prove themselves.

This if season starts to go south already in November... or even sooner.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
At the lottery offer a 1st rounder, 2nd rounder and Lucic in exchange for a 3rd rounder. No salary retention. Assuming we aren't drafting inside top 5. If we are then we might want a 1st rounder back depending on the other team's draft position.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Hey all, I’ve been reading Oilers HF for years now (not an active poster). I want you to put your thinking caps on and build a legitimate team that the Oilers could ice this season. Please think through your trades or signings fully (cap space). Maybe Chia will stumble across this page and a light bulb will go off lol. Armchair to the next level!! Cheers Oilers Nation!

Gonna need more than a day, son. Probably take years to get out of this mess.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Anybody on HFOil could do a better job than that clown Chia...
As for my roster:

Can the head coach, fire the shit out of all the OBC
Bring in new faces that know what they're doing and understand the skill and speed game.

Trade 1:
Pulju + Sekera (LTIR) + 1st (top 10 protected) + 2020 2nd + Kassian
For
Stone (8x7.75 extension) + Dzingle (4x2.85 extension)

Trade 2:
Benning + Lucic + Mcleod + 2nd
For
Perlini + smaller cap dump

*I would not trade our first or Mcleod, but I am approaching this as how we can improve our roster the best for this year

Lineup:
Nuge - Mcdavid - Dzingle
Perlini - Drai - Stone
Rieder - Strome - Yamo
Khaira - Brodz - Chassion

Nurse - Larsson
Klefbom - Bear/Russel
Russel/Garrison - Garri/Bouch/Bear

Talbot
Koskinen

This lineup can score. The top 2 lines are dangerous and as long as the 3rd and 4th can hold their own we could have a dangerous offense. The d core is bad and we have to have one of Bear or Bouch to be the pp qb. The rest of the guys just have to focus on not getting caved in defensively. Talbot has looked pretty good so far and we'd need him to be rock solid in net. We don't know what we have in Koskinen so lets see what he can do.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Id start by firing McLellan and replacing him with Krueger. Then I’d just have to watch the team under Krueger and go from there.

Reactions: Studz

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Have no real idea how too fix this as there aren't many assets to spare. But have a few of points:

1. Not finding another defenceman to fill in for Sekera killed last season and maybe this one. The Oilers have had 1 season with an adequate top 4 D since Pronger left and it resulted in what should have been a WCF appearance.

2. Acquire players to allow Yamamoto and Bouchard time to develop. Both being able to play their way onto this team is a symptom of no depth and the Oilers have a track record of ruining prospects via no early development. The graveyard of prospects runneth over.

3. Trade role players for equivalent role players. The team tends to chew up the competive spirit out of players that need a high motor to just be an effective NHLer. Just too many losing seasons and angry fans... cycle in some healthy minds.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
1) Be named GM
2) Start off with a BANG by drafting the chosen one
3) BANG #2 by trading basically two 1st in a super deep draft for a garbage player
4) Do nothing for a year while I am "evaluating" my new team
5) Evaluate Lucic and Demers in FA. Choose the wrong one.
6) Trade an elite winger for a promising young D but admit I lost the trade by calling it - Not sexy
7) Sign an old buddy to an absolute ANCHOR of a contract. Looks bad after one season.
8) Everyone has a career year and not only do we make the playoffs, but we make some noise. Hype at a MAX
9) Realize that I after all this I have positioned my team for just one playoff run. With all that time and assets. My team has nothing left. No depth on D and especially not at forward. My horrible trading and contracts have gotten up to me. The hole I have dug is way too large to get myself out of.
10) Realize ill be fired soon - decide to just troll and annoy fans as much as I possibly can.

Thats what I would personally do

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Keep hall.
Don't trade for Reinhardt.
Keep eberle maybe.
Keep petry(mact trade)
Keep Schulz.
Don't sign lucic
Sign demers

Nuge-mcdavid-eberle/rattie
Hall-drai-yammer
Cag-barzal-jp
Jj-brodziak-kassian

Klef-demers
Nurse-petry
Sekera-schulz

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
All I know is if I trade Lucic, Mcdavid isn’t touching the ice without acquiring another feared tough guy that can play a regular shift. The skilled guys and young guys skate around without any fear, barely ever touched and there’s a reason for that. It makes their lack of production outside of 97 even more frustrating. I was at a game in Vancouver back in 2011- 2012 and Kesler slashed and two handed Nuge so hard he looked like he was in so much pain, these rookies have no clue how tough this league can be.

Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad