Battle of the non Cup winning Goalies: Giacomin vs. Joseph

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Alright this will be a different poll. Who was the best goalie to never win the Cup? I have taken Tony Esposito out of the equation because even though he only played 13 games in '69 for the Habs - and no playoff games, Vachon and Worsley did - he was still credited with a Cup win.

So off the top of my head it comes down to two guys and if you think I'm wrong please specify who was better, you'll have the option of a third party.

Was it Eddie Giacomin? Two first team all-stars, 3 2nd team all-star, one Vezina, one Cup final appearance.

Or Curtis Joseph? No Vezinas, no first team all-star, no 2nd team all-stars no Cup finals appearances. One Olympic Gold, lost '96 World Cup.

Stonefly

Jan 29, 2007
I'd give it to Giacomin just for what he had to overcome in life. Playing as well as he did in the pain he was in is pretty incredible.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
I'd take Eddie. Joseph's competition (Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek) was tougher than Giacomin's (the end of Plante and Hall's careers, then Esposito, Dryden, and Parent), but Joseph wasn't able to beat out players like Byron Dafoe, Roman Turek, Roman Cechmanek for All-Star spots/Vezina consideration. Giacomin also finished second in Hart voting behind Stan Mikita, albeit by a very considerable margin.

GNick42

I'd take Eddie. Joseph's competition (Roy, Brodeur, and Hasek) was tougher than Giacomin's (the end of Plante and Hall's careers, then Esposito, Dryden, and Parent), but Joseph wasn't able to beat out players like Byron Dafoe, Roman Turek, Roman Cechmanek for All-Star spots/Vezina consideration. Giacomin also finished second in Hart voting behind Stan Mikita, albeit by a very considerable margin.

You make a good case...did Giacomin ever win a playoff series singlehandly though? Joseph did several times in St.Louis and Edmonton

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
You make a good case...did Giacomin ever win a playoff series singlehandly though? Joseph did several times in St.Louis and Edmonton

I never saw him play, so maybe someone else could chime in with specifics.

Looking over the playoff results, the Rangers did decently in the playoffs from 1971-1974, and they faced some relatively good teams (Bruins, Blackhawks, Canadiens).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad