GDT: Battle of natural disasters

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
The fans are starting to really roar for Cam again. It’s hard to say where things go in goal after this season, but he seems to be adding a big chapter to his legacy here.

Cam could’ve easily been Chris Osgood in the right circumstance. Playing him 65-70 games a year just wasn’t what he was built for. Maybe even throw it back to the 89s when goalies only played 55 games as a starter.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I’m going to be honest, I don’t rember a game where a role player like Mcginnwas so obviously the best player on the ice in a win. What a ****ing game from him.

McGinn is an interesting player. He had 2 goals in the 32 games prior to this one. He seems to have a couple of these bursts every season, and then turns back into a pumpkin. I wonder what it would take to get him to have consistent statistical success.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
McGinn is an interesting player. He had 2 goals in the 32 games prior to this one. He seems to have a couple of these bursts every season, and then turns back into a pumpkin. I wonder what it would take to get him to have consistent statistical success.

Right that’s why I see him as a LaRose type. Let him be him on the 3rd or 4th line and he’ll win you a couple games while being a decent role player 99% of the time. Once you start counting on him to score consistently you’ve f***ed yourself.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Looks like playoffs is back on the menu (even if only for a short time)

McGinn is an interesting player. You can see he actually has a lot of skill. It's just that he usually plays at 1 speed and never tries to slow down and control play. I guess it's part of his grinder nature that got him and his brothers to the NHL, but he's showing more and more glimpses of why he was picked in the 2nd round. He has been one of our best forwards, if not the best, in a handful or two of games this year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina

Looks like playoffs is back on the menu (even if only for a short time)

McGinn is an interesting player. You can see he actually has a lot of skill. It's just that he usually plays at 1 speed and never tries to slow down and control play. I guess it's part of his grinder nature that got him and his brothers to the NHL, but he's showing more and more glimpses of why he was picked in the 2nd round. He has been one of our best forwards, if not the best, in a handful or two of games this year.

What's interesting about McGinn is that he's gotten better, statistically, every year at each stop. Then he seemingly moves up a level, finds his game at that level, and then plugs along building a game. I mean in juniors he went from 14 to 18 to 54 to 85 points increasing his goal scoring output from 10 goals to 43 goals. His AHL career begins and he puts up 27 followed by 35 points. Now, as an NHL'er he seems to be at it again, 4 points in an abbreviated call up, last year's 16 points, and now this year's 10 goals/21 points with 25% of the season remaining.

He's a bit more skilled than a Chad LaRose, but has the same compete make up. One has to wonder if he can continue to be a solid bottom 6'er with scoring chops....a guy like him chipping in 35 to 40 points would be a positive.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm not sure McGinn has more skill than LaRose, but unlike LaRose, when McGinn hits someone, they actually feel it, but the comparison is probably a good one.

Peters made the comment that he needed the team to play well enough so that he'd force Francis to go out and get a playmaking center. Could it be that his playmaking center has been on the roster all along, only he was playing him as a 4th line RW? Small sample, but Lindholm has looked good in that role and has 1G, 3A in the 3 games he's been at C. He was very effective last year on the PP from that spot behind the net and his assists to PDG and McGinn have come from that spot as well.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Small sample, but Lindholm has looked good in that role and has 1G, 3A in the 3 games he's been at C. He was very effective last year on the PP from that spot behind the net and his assists to PDG and McGinn have come from that spot as well.

I never understood why Lindy wasn't given more than a few games at a time in the middle. When was it, end of last season or the season before, there was some lip service paid to putting Elias in the middle and he got something like 3 or 4 games (which I felt he played pretty well). His playmaking skills are some of the best on the team, often even taking his teammates by surprise.

As Hank said, moving Kruger basically forces the team's hand on this.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
the single biggest difference in this turnaround is how strong the puck support has been up the ice. the defense is making quick and decisive decisions with the puck and stretching the ice and the forwards are doing a great job of making themselves available to support the puck carrier. the saying that the puck moves faster than any single player is always true and we're seeing it. the lines are working as a unit up the ice and maintaining speed through the neutral zone and pushing the defense back. you're not seeing too much dipsy doodle individualism and the zone entries are clean. the puck is moving naturally with no agenda. especially the tsa line.

it's good to see folks coming around on mcginn. the cool thing is that he's not even capped on his potential. his skill level is especially underrated once he was hit with the grinder label. weird on the broadcast how they were saying pdg has comparable skill using draft position as a metric. it's not close between those two. really underrated hockey smarts, which is why he works so well with williams.

highly impressed with lindholm's game right now. we were talking the other day about how desperately this team needs someone to elevate from the middle six and help carry some of the offensive load and he's really been key to that. if we can get skinner and faulk going a little more it's going to be really fun. faulk's head just isn't in the game right now. so many plays dying on his tape.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I agree on the defense making quick plays and getting the puck up the ice has been much better these past few games. That was missing (and pointed out by S1C2 a few days ago), but it's been against lesser teams. Will be interesting to see how they fare against the Kings, who are a MUCH better team and do a good job at stifling other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad