Pre-Game Talk: Battle of Alberta on HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm a bit worried about this one. Calgary will probably care about this one more. As if it will take some sting out of what happened last spring

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
People were right. Rogers does, in fact, have a hidden, cheaper plan if you ask for it. Managed to get a pre owned phone for 55 a month.

No, this is not an advertisement, just mentioning it if you have a phone and are looking to get something cheaper. Just coax them into giving you a cheaper plan.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
People were right. Rogers does, in fact, have a hidden, cheaper plan if you ask for it. Managed to get a pre owned phone for 55 a month.

No, this is not an advertisement, just mentioning it if you have a phone and are looking to get something cheaper. Just coax them into giving you a cheaper plan.

It’s brutal that we have to go to such lengths to pay anything approximating “reasonable” in Canada. Absolute nonsense

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Mostly nothing but you never know with cheap shot artist like Kadri
If he thinks it will turn out the same as before if he's in charge of shadowing McDavid he's in for a rude awakening. He had a rep for being McDavid's kryptonite when he was a Leaf

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'm Punjabi and I support Singh but his commentating whenever it's an Oilers game is awful. Maybe we just have high expectations too because we have Jack Michaels
He's a remarkable story and well worth cheering for breaking down a lot of doors to get this opportunity. Personally I don't think Jack Michaels is a high bar but a notable difference is that Michaels honed his craft for over a decade in the minor leagues. Similarly Can Moon also developed his play calling and voice over a very long WHL junior 'apprenticeship' in Red Deer.

Singh's play calling for HNIC Punjabi enabled a more colourful approach which resonated with the audience. Transitioning now to a mainstream audience, I think he's still working to find his voice and style. It's a bit uneven and a work-in-progress unlike callers like Michaels and Moon whose experience was cut away from the sharp critique of regional and national NHL viewing audiences.

I think he's okay and will continue to improve. Just that his work is critiqued at the game's highest level instead of leagues like the ECHL and Anchorage Aces. But he deserves full credit for chasing down his dream after so many tried to dissuade him from sports reporting. And if not for the HNIC Punjabi work it's quite possibly he would not have been given opportunity by a junior or minor pro team to pursue his dream - hockey has been a largely closed shop after all.

Singh's put in the time and hard miles to get here. Good for him!

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
It’s brutal that we have to go to such lengths to pay anything approximating “reasonable” in Canada. Absolute nonsense

Yeah, I the plans they had showing on teh site, minimum was like 90 dollars a month. That's pretty insane. Not even unlimited data either. Still more than U.S but $60 is better, but rogers doesnt advertise that plan on their site, for whatever reason.

Reactions: Oilhawks

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If he thinks it will turn out the same as before if he's in charge of shadowing McDavid he's in for a rude awakening. He had a rep for being McDavid's kryptonite when he was a Leaf
Yeh wasn't that rep based on like one game? And McD was still a Rookie. I'd be surprised if Kadri could do anything to stop him nowadays. And if he does, Kane will f*** him up.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah, I the plans they had showing on teh site, minimum was like 90 dollars a month. That's pretty insane. Not even unlimited data either. Still more than U.S but $60 is better, but rogers doesnt advertise that plan on their site, for whatever reason.
I pay 25 a month 1GB unlimited texts and Canada-wide calling hardly use any data because I'm at home 98% of the time watching hockey and gambling on games

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
NM Looks like The fantasy board is glitching out

Last edited:

xoczar99ox

Oct 8, 2019
Is the commentating team going to be Cassie/Whoever or Hanarayan/Louie?

Forget the fact the Oilers went further in the playoffs than anyone else. Rogers would actually have to care about the Oilers to have an Edmonton crew cover the Oilers at home on HNIC.
Hey if the games in Edmonton it’s only fair that they should at least use the Calgary announcers, and if the games in Calgary they should get the home team announcers…

Reactions: Biltmore

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Hey if the games in Edmonton it’s only fair that they should at least use the Calgary announcers, and if the games in Calgary they should get the home team announcers…

I guess they are being a little more fair if it is in Edmonton they might be using the Vancouver announcers...

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Next flames home game, they will be handing out miniature futuristic saddledomes with retracting roofs and attached hotel.

1665805352612.png

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I pay 25 a month 1GB unlimited texts and Canada-wide calling hardly use any data because I'm at home 98% of the time watching hockey and gambling on games

Yeah, thats a good deal, i dont get data right now, but unlimited talk and text is good if you have internet. My issue is I live in the middle of a forest and cant afford starlink yet. Even though its not really 100% fast all the time, I have to settle with it for now. Canada is absoluteyl awful for cell plans

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Cut them in half and steam them cut side down in a large pan for a few mins. Take them out and fry up some chopped onion and bacon. Remove and fry the sprouts until a little golden. Return the bacon onion mixture for a bit then all into a an oven dish mixed with parmesan cheese and bake for a little while. Tasty sprouts.
Add a bit of honey while sautéing.

It works well if you put a smidgen on the cut open halves, then place them cut side down to start the sautéing process. It takes out the bitterness.

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Should have a poll to predict in what game against us this year that Kadri does something monumentaliy stupid to one of our guys and gets suspended. (What am I saying, should get suspended, but won't, due to the leagues weird fascination with the Septic City) I say tomorrow night.

Reactions: oilers'72

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Broberg is better but he needs the playing time since he is younger. Waiting to see the reasoning for this not sure why they would make this switch unless maybe one of the other D are injured?
Broberg has very little left to prove at AHL level based on last season.. he is an AHL/NHL tweener at the moment and is likely called up to play easy minutes as #7 D

Reactions: JossyP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce