Basketball tournaments

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Despite me usually not being a fan of these new disciplines in the Olympics, I have to say that I was impressed with 3 vs 3 basketball. Didn't know it was going to be played on one hoop. It's incredibly fast. I think I can like that.

Reactions: Pasha71

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Anyone know why they award a point for a loss in basketball? I was reading about the tournament on wikipedia and the standings are ordered by points. It looks like a win = 2 points and a loss = 1 point...but in that case why even bother with points? Unless a point is awarded for a 'close' margin of defeat?

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia
Anyone know why they award a point for a loss in basketball? I was reading about the tournament on wikipedia and the standings are ordered by points. It looks like a win = 2 points and a loss = 1 point...but in that case why even bother with points? Unless a point is awarded for a 'close' margin of defeat?

If you lose by 1 or 100 you get a point. Thats how FIBA and in Europe they do standings. It's useless but it is what it is.

Reactions: DEVILS130

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Despite me usually not being a fan of these new disciplines in the Olympics, I have to say that I was impressed with 3 vs 3 basketball. Didn't know it was going to be played on one hoop. It's incredibly fast. I think I can like that.

We need 3 on 3 hockey and 4 on 4 hockey and shootout to add some medals that Canada could win.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Can someone explain to me how in the world USA did not qualify for 3x3 men basketball tournament?
3v3 basketball qualification is not like the regular tournament. You can only use players who have been playing in 3v3 tournaments prior to the qualification stage. Those tournaments take place during the nba season from my understanding so players from the nba don’t go and really can’t unless they have played 3v3 ball in a legit fiba tourney.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
HAL4062.300.jpg

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

contentious game....Slovenia hit a meaningless 3 with 1 second to go to rub it in a little....hope they play again in the medal round.

1st time they've had an Olympic team, would be something to win it all.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I think they're locked in for the women's basketball gold.

They should, but considering they've struggled early on against Nigeria and were completely outcoached by a very small Japanese team, I wouldn't bet too much money on it. Belgium, even China, could cause a huge surprise.

Nigeria leading US women early one. Just checked, USA roster is not exactly youthful...

They obviously were way too confident and assembled a team based on marketing more than on results (and they lost their preparation game against the WNBA remaining all-stars). Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are there to pick up their 5th olympic gold, but should have had less prominent roles on the team. They lack a few more dynamic and aggressive players - makes no sense that Ogunbowale isn't there (and maybe Hayes too). Diggins should be playing a lot more than she is, and the offense should run through the bigs where nobody can match them.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
3v3 basketball qualification is not like the regular tournament. You can only use players who have been playing in 3v3 tournaments prior to the qualification stage. Those tournaments take place during the nba season from my understanding so players from the nba don’t go and really can’t unless they have played 3v3 ball in a legit fiba tourney.

This reminds me of when the Olympics used to exclude NBA players because they were "pros", but allowed the Soviet Union Army Team and guys who made $100K a season in Italy playing basketball to compete. The last two groups were not considered as pros even though they were paid for playing basketball in the 1970s. The US sent college students to play against 3o year old men who had 10 years or more of international experience under FIBA rules.

1972 United States men's Olympic basketball team - Wikipedia

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
3v3 basketball ks a different sport than 5v5, why would FIBA allow NBA players to take part in that?

"Hey, you played and competed for 4 years to get a place here, but f*** you we want Russell Westbrok in this!"

Some people.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
3v3 basketball ks a different sport than 5v5, why would FIBA allow NBA players to take part in that?

"Hey, you played and competed for 4 years to get a place here, but f*** you we want Russell Westbrok in this!"

Some people.

Pretty much what they did on the women side though. Of the 4 players selected, only Samuelson had ever played 3x3 before 2021, and she got cut for positive COVID testing just before the games (replaced with Young, who had some prior experience too).

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
US women's team might be old but they're damn good. Up by 21 points vs Australia at the half.

Australia tried to play their game, but with Cambage dropping out, they couldn't match the Americans inside. They really didn't look like the second ranked team in the world, while Team USA had their best game yet (at last, Stewart showed she's the best player in the world).
Japan did a huge favor to the Americans in taking Belgium out. Now it should be a formality.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00