Baseball stadium Montreal?

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
There has been a lot of hot air talk regarding a new baseball stadium to be built in Montreal at multiple potential locations with the city

Has there ever been a feasibility study on converting/refurbishing and reinventing the stadium for baseball exclusively?

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
There has been a lot of hot air talk regarding a new baseball stadium to be built in Montreal at multiple potential locations with the city

Has there ever been a feasibility study on converting/refurbishing and reinventing the stadium for baseball exclusively?
I cannot find one specifically about baseball but there was talk about refurbishing olympic stadium for the 2026 FIFA world cup before Montreal pulled out. Fixing the roof alone was estimated at 200-300 million CAD. This for a stadium that cost over 1.6 billion back in the 70's and took almost 40 years to pay off.

The Big Owe has numerous design flaws, sight lines were never great for baseball and the location is too far away from the centre of the city for 81 home games. Fully renovating it to be baseball-friendly would probably cost more than to build a new stadium in the Peel Basin area, as has been discussed.

Reactions: oknazevad

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
If they bring back the Expos, Youppi! is going to be so conflicted

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I cannot find one specifically about baseball but there was talk about refurbishing olympic stadium for the 2026 FIFA world cup before Montreal pulled out. Fixing the roof alone was estimated at 200-300 million CAD. This for a stadium that cost over 1.6 billion back in the 70's and took almost 40 years to pay off.

The Big Owe has numerous design flaws, sight lines were never great for baseball and the location is too far away from the centre of the city for 81 home games. Fully renovating it to be baseball-friendly would probably cost more than to build a new stadium in the Peel Basin area, as has been discussed.
Sums it up nicely. Olympic Stadium is and always has been a failure of architecture, prizing unique form over function. And it's still failed in that regard as it's an eyesore flagship example of the worst architectural trends of the 20th century.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
There has been radio silence about Montreal for 15 months now since MLB nixed the 2 cities, one team idea that Tampa Bay was floating.

The word at the time was the MLBPA told MLB this idea needs to be squashed before we talk about anything else as they were working on a new CBA for 2022.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I'm sure they'd just make him a two-sport star.

The way the Habs have treated the legacy of the Expos has been great. Youppi, the retired numbers hanging in the rafters, the tribute to Gary Carter when he passed...

I really want the Expos to come back.
I want Montreal to get another MLB team. I do not want them to be called the Expos. I love the name Expos and I loved the logo and I would have few issues with reusing them if the Nationals moved back to Montreal.

I think a new team in Montreal should have a new identity. Reusing an old name just feels like a cheap imitation of the real thing to me.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
There has been radio silence about Montreal for 15 months now since MLB nixed the 2 cities, one team idea that Tampa Bay was floating.

The word at the time was the MLBPA told MLB this idea needs to be squashed before we talk about anything else as they were working on a new CBA for 2022.
The PA being opposed to a team splitting the season between two cities makes sense. It does not necessarily mean an opposition to Montreal as an MLB city.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I want Montreal to get another MLB team. I do not want them to be called the Expos. I love the name Expos and I loved the logo and I would have few issues with reusing them if the Nationals moved back to Montreal.

I think a new team in Montreal should have a new identity. Reusing an old name just feels like a cheap imitation of the real thing to me.

I don't see a difference. A team is a team, and it's not less of a team because it joined the league in 1969 vs 1903, or 2033. Every team is completely different people from back in 2003 and before. We're all just rooting for a shirt, here.

You just want the shirt to be a representation of the city and its people. Expos does that.

And quite honestly, given how difficult the trademark process is for new sports teams, Expos should be the only choice for Montreal.

You can use simply "game theory" on this kind of stuff to "win."

1. Bring Back the Expos (looking like the old Expos)
2. Bring Back the Expos (with a modern look)
3. Pick something else -- of the infinite possibilities, what they wanted wasn't picked.
4. Pick something else -- of the infinite possibilities, the team picked something they loved.

Group 4 has the lowest odds of success. Picking the name Expos merges groups 3 and 4 into one group and eliminates the hardest part: Picking a name/brand that everyone loves when there are limitless possibilities. Just looking at the four groups, you see that Expos has consensus.

People in Groups 3 and 4 also will "understand" that consensus.

And Groups 1 and 2 will almost certainly be happy, as long as the logo and colors are the same as before.

It's really EASY to look like the "old Expos" because the Old Expos wore 16 different uniforms that came from 3 families.

Modern MLB teams having 3-5 different uni sets. The team can pick something that fits the OG Family, the 90s Family, and then do whatever they want with the other 3 slots.

Reactions: oknazevad

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
I don't see a difference. A team is a team, and it's not less of a team because it joined the league in 1969 vs 1903, or 2033. Every team is completely different people from back in 2003 and before. We're all just rooting for a shirt, here.

You just want the shirt to be a representation of the city and its people. Expos does that.

And quite honestly, given how difficult the trademark process is for new sports teams, Expos should be the only choice for Montreal.

You can use simply "game theory" on this kind of stuff to "win."

1. Bring Back the Expos (looking like the old Expos)
2. Bring Back the Expos (with a modern look)
3. Pick something else -- of the infinite possibilities, what they wanted wasn't picked.
4. Pick something else -- of the infinite possibilities, the team picked something they loved.

Group 4 has the lowest odds of success. Picking the name Expos merges groups 3 and 4 into one group and eliminates the hardest part: Picking a name/brand that everyone loves when there are limitless possibilities. Just looking at the four groups, you see that Expos has consensus.

People in Groups 3 and 4 also will "understand" that consensus.

And Groups 1 and 2 will almost certainly be happy, as long as the logo and colors are the same as before.

It's really EASY to look like the "old Expos" because the Old Expos wore 16 different uniforms that came from 3 families.

Modern MLB teams having 3-5 different uni sets. The team can pick something that fits the OG Family, the 90s Family, and then do whatever they want with the other 3 slots.
All for the name being Expos but would hope that awful 'elb' thing didn't come back.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
All for the name being Expos but would hope that awful 'elb' thing didn't come back.

Yeah, a one-color M (Red with a white outline on a blue hat) would be better.

But I think the old logo would look/work a lot better with the modern raised embroidery of today. You could see the blue curl on the right side of the M, which you couldn't on the old hats of that era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad