Value of: Barzal's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Eichel needs to stop being used as a comparable for anyone’s contracts (Barzal, Matthews, etc). He got overpaid to keep him happier in that s**tshow they’re running in Buffalo

Reactions: BillDineen

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Eichel needs to stop being used as a comparable for anyone’s contracts (Barzal, Matthews, etc). He got overpaid to keep him happier in that s**tshow they’re running in Buffalo

I disagree, If I am Matthews agents I go in and say this is how much McDavid Got and this is how Much Eichel Got. At worst I accept 9.5M

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
I disagree, If I am Matthews agents I go in and say this is how much McDavid Got and this is how Much Eichel Got. At worst I accept 9.5M
Matthews is an RFA and doesn’t have the kind of leverage in negotiations where he can say “I want this and won’t accept a penny less.” Sure he can hold out a year and become a UFA but is it wise to miss a whole year of hockey while he’s still so young? He knows it’s not. If Matthews goes out and has a full PPG season and doesn’t miss a large chunk of time I don’t mind giving him the full 10 but realistically it’s gonna be closer to 9 than 10-11 like people are saying

Feb 24, 2017
Matthews so far has absolutely shown to be worth a lot more than 7.5-8.5mil a season, i would suggest actually watching him because your obviously misinformed.

Also why are you pretending like Matthews scoring 80-90 points next year is not realistic? He had 63 in 62 games this year even with having to come back from injuries several times. Everybody already knows Matthews will be one of the top C's in the game so paying him a bit extra for potential is to be expected.
Because he’s proving to be injury prone and won’t play enough games to ever get to 80-90.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How am I not surprised that there's more Matthews talk in here than Barzal talk? lmao

Kinda pathetic really

Such jealousy is pathetic.
NYI fans reaize Barzal is going to be in line for a big payday if he can follow up this terrific rookie season, with a couple of similar seasons.

And we will be very happy to see him cash in because it will mean he continued to produce at a high level.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Oh yes, posts about how Matthews is so injury prone are so important in discussions about Barzal's new contract. There's a thread about Matthews new contract, please go there to talk about that.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/auston-matthews-new-contract.2476303/

Seriously, not every thread needs to be about the Leafs.

Are you a moderator? There's nothing wrong with discussing player comparables, if you don't like it, you have the choice to go elsewhere. So much whining on this forum...it's a discussion board.

Finn16

Feb 15, 2018
Oh yes, posts about how Matthews is so injury prone are so important in discussions about Barzal's new contract. There's a thread about Matthews new contract, please go there to talk about that.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/auston-matthews-new-contract.2476303/

Seriously, not every thread needs to be about the Leafs.

Why are you even talking about Matthews if it bugs you so much? People trying to pretend like Matthews is injury prone is part of the reason people are even talking about him.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Are you a moderator? There's nothing wrong with discussing player comparables, if you don't like it, you have the choice to go elsewhere. So much whining on this forum...it's a discussion board.

I don't mind discussing Matthews' contract in comparison to Barzal's. I just wanted to point out there's another thread for strictly talking about Matthews, which was happening here.

And why should I go elsewhere to discuss Barzal's contract?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I don't mind discussing Matthews' contract in comparison to Barzal's. I just wanted to point out there's another thread for strictly talking about Matthews, which was happening here.

And why should I go elsewhere to discuss Barzal's contract?

Because you aren't, you are whining about Matthews being involved in the discussion. Of course he is, he's one of Barzals best comparables. If you don't want to discuss Matthews, maybe all of your posts in this thread shouldn't be about him.

Also, your arrogance is ordering people around on a hockey forum is pretty damn childish.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Boy, I've seen some pretty ignorant, hateful, vile things on the internet that have hurt my soul to the very core.

But then I saw someone ask - not ask, order - Leaf fans to talk about Matthews's contract in a Matthews's contract thread as opposed to a Barzal's contract thread. The arrogance to do that has nearly paralyzed me with shock. I guess true evil does exist in this world.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Boy, I've seen some pretty ignorant, hateful, vile things on the internet that have hurt my soul to the very core.

But then I saw someone ask Leaf fans to talk about Matthews's contract in a Matthews's contract thread as opposed to a Barzal's contract thread. The arrogance to do that has nearly paralyzed me with shock. I guess true evil does exist in this world.

Lol, because contract comparisons are never ever brought up by any other fan base in the hundreds of other threads in this forum, right?

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Lol, because contract comparisons are never ever brought up by any other fan base in the hundreds of other threads in this forum, right?

In that Matthews contract thread that was linked, there are two instances of the word "Barzal" being typed. Here are both of them (from two Leaf fans):

It really is bizarre that so many think Matthews will get 11, but Laine and Barzal, who are better according to HF, are quoted at getting around 8 to 8.5 to 9.

All year we are told Matthews is lesser than players. Barzal is already better apparently, nevermind Laine being better.

So far zero "contract comparisons" from Islander fans venturing into that thread to talk about our guy.

Reactions: PWJunior

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
In that Matthews contract thread that was linked, there are two instances of the word "Barzal" being typed. Here are both of them (from two Leaf fans):

So far zero "contract comparisons" from Islander fans venturing into that thread to talk about our guy.

Well I guess if there were no mentions in that one specific thread then there were never any mentions of it at all. You've really shown us dumb Leaf fans.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I’d suggest stop being so sensitive, contract comparisons are literally one of the most common conmobkybused discussion points on here.

Not to mention, there have been multiple recent poll discussions where Islanders fans claim Barzal has bested Matthews rookie season - and if folks truly believe that it opens up the comparison.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

Then mention him? They are great comparables.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Most are speculating Matthews will get around 11 million, so does that put Barzal around 12 million if he eclipses his point total again next year?

Why would he get less than Eichel and the speculated Matthews contract if he has a more productive first 2 years?

If Barzal eclipses this years numbers, which I think he will, that makes me think he will look at Eichel and Matthews and ask for more. Although I do think Matthews and Eichel play tougher minutes and have to shoulder more of the load.

His comparables include Eichel and Matthews, one got a similar deal and the other is expected to.

By comparison, here's four posts from the first page of the Barzal's Contract thread, all from a single Leaf fan, all of which contain the word "Matthews".

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

But then I saw someone ask - not ask, order - Leaf fans to talk about Matthews's contract in a Matthews's contract thread as opposed to a Barzal's contract thread. The arrogance to do that has nearly paralyzed me with shock. I guess true evil does exist in this world.

I was nice I said PLEASE! :laugh:

And maybe it's about his name... You know, Matthews vs. Mathew, awfully close. He should really change it.

Also, on a more serious note. If Barzal keeps his stats from this year or goes up to 90-100, would $10 million/year be enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad