Value of: Barzal's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The people speculating Matthews gets 11M are either completely delusional on the player he is right now, or have massive expectations on him becoming a better player in the next year.

Matthews so far hasn't shown anything to suggest he gets more then ~7.5-8.5M a year on his next deal, slightly below what even Draisaitl is earning.

And unless he comes out with an 80-90 point season next year that's likely what he gets. 8M for 8 years or so. He's not a Top 10 Center in the league right now and wont be paid as one unless he has a big year next year.

Barzal will need to repeat what he did this year in order to really earn a big contract as well. He had the benefit of playing behind Tavares all year this year and was sheltered to an extent(Despite Islanders fans who will come in here and claim otherwise after this). Next year there's a real possibility he doesn't have Tavares in front of him and he'll be going against oppositions top defensive lines and pairings on a nightly basis.

If he can still repeat on this season and produces another 80+ point season, I'd say he gets 9-10M on his next new deal. But I'm a heavy skeptic that he can repeat on what he did this year, so we'll have to wait and see.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
So much can happen before the negotiations for his new contract can even start (Tavares situation plays a big role here) so it's incredibly hard to speculate it but something around $8-10M based on this year.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
The people speculating Matthews gets 11M are either completely delusional on the player he is right now, or have massive expectations on him becoming a better player in the next year.

Matthews so far hasn't shown anything to suggest he gets more then ~7.5-8.5M a year on his next deal, slightly below what even Draisaitl is earning.

And unless he comes out with an 80-90 point season next year that's likely what he gets. 8M for 8 years or so. He's not a Top 10 Center in the league right now and wont be paid as one unless he has a big year next year.

Barzal will need to repeat what he did this year in order to really earn a big contract as well. He had the benefit of playing behind Tavares all year this year and was sheltered to an extent(Despite Islanders fans who will come in here and claim otherwise after this). Next year there's a real possibility he doesn't have Tavares in front of him and he'll be going against oppositions top defensive lines and pairings on a nightly basis.

If he can still repeat on this season and produces another 80+ point season, I'd say he gets 9-10M on his next new deal. But I'm a heavy skeptic that he can repeat on what he did this year, so we'll have to wait and see.
See I agree with you when when you say that Matthews shouldn’t make over 10 million a year on his next contract, but if you look at some other players (I.e. Johansen at 8, Draisaitl at 8, Eichel at 10) Matthews is a superior player to all 3 of them and you can bet his camp will use those 3 as comparables.

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Why would he get less than Eichel and the speculated Matthews contract if he has a more productive first 2 years?

Either Eichel got overpaid or he would opt out sooner rather then later. I think the post below hours makes tons of sense in this particular subject.

If you are suggesting they are worth more then what Eichel is making now I would say you dont know what you are talking about

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Too early. If JT leaves he's going to get tougher competition so we'll see how he does and go from there.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Next year will be the deciding factor.. Way too early to say still.. If he has a better season next year, his contract will be massive.. It he has a slight sophomore slump, itll be a different story.

IMO its impossible to say at this point

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

To me, that just doesn't feel like proper market value. Compare him with some other 80pt 20 year old Cs, and 11 million isn't far off. If Barzal eclipses this years numbers, which I think he will, that makes me think he will look at Eichel and Matthews and ask for more. Although I do think Matthews and Eichel play tougher minutes and have to shoulder more of the load.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

Matthews went over PPG in his D+2 season. Draisaitl has never done that despite being drafted two years earlier and playing with McDavid a bunch.

Eichel hasn't hit PPG and got $10 million. $7.5-8.5 is a pipe dream. And you're calling others delusional...

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I don't see him getting less than ~9M or more than 10M. We'll see how he plays next year.

mammothCacti

Feb 19, 2018

Man if only GMs and Players thought this too. Would make signing Tavares to the Leafs a non-issue cap wise. Too bad its not what they think.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
We’re missing half the data. If he throws up 80+ again, he’s a $10m dollar man. If he has a bit of a sophomore slump and puts up only 65-70, closer to $8, if he was willing to sign.
Haha I seriously hope they pay Barzal 10+mil, thatd be even worse than the Eichel signing

Reactions: Dzonna

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Any thoughts on what Barzal's next deal will look like? Most are speculating Matthews will get around 11 million, so does that put Barzal around 12 million if he eclipses his point total again next year?
I expect his extension to be closer to $9m- $10m per, if he can put up 2 more seasons with production similar to this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad