Barzal? Who would LA have to give up?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Again I just have to point out that having 10 million in cap space isn't the same as having the green light to spend 10 million right now.

Drew can only play so many minutes. Not sure how much confidence I'd have right now with Maatta, MacDermid, and one of Clague/Anderson/Bjornfot in the short term patrolling the left side. As I said before, I like Matt Barzal a ton but I don't think the timing is really right for the Kings to make that sort of move.

If you're talking about shifting Barzal to wing in the near future, that might be a sign that it's not really a position of need.

Reactions: Choralone

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
He's not the guy we're looking for...he's just a big-ish name. He's not the player we will want to build a playoff team around, we got those guys already as prospects, nor is he the last guy needed to get the Cup like Jeff Carter. So we don't need him. It's not like Barzal is a young Doughty, Bergeron or O'Reilly-type of player.

Reactions: Choralone

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Beauty of Barzal is its highly likely you can acquire him on a short term contract through rfa.which is a unique position for high end talent like that

We also would be buying only prime years from him and he's young enough that we could keep him around long term if we decide to.

As far as him playing W that's probably the ideal position for him anyways. And nit picking future weaknesses in our roster as a reason not to do it is not persuasive to me. Even stanley cup teams have pretty obvious weaknesses. I mean TB had to put guys like Luke Schenn and Zach Bogosian into their D rotation lol.

As far as spending the teams money go. As a fan I have the expectation that the owners are capable of spending to the cap. Other teams will

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
all these young guys in the kings system have yet to actually produce at their expected NHL level. Some of them may underperform or bust entirely. I would like to see just what the kings have in them before making a move of this nature.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
all these young guys in the kings system have yet to actually produce at their expected NHL level. Some of them may underperform or bust entirely. I would like to see just what the kings have in them before making a move of this nature.

But that's the catch isn't it? If we do see if they can do and they end up busts or disappointments then they won't have any trade value.

Last edited:

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
Their cap hits are like 950k. The odds of them underperforming those contracts are so tiny. Even if guys like Byfield, Turcotte, kaliyev, etc... turn out to be dissapointing they will still be playing at a level well above their cap hits.

We just have so many legit prospects that it is hard to believe we will not have tremendous value throughout our lineup for multiple years, even if some completely bust.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
It's not just cap hits, it's draft position.

A nightmare scenario is should we trade for Barzal, and the few assets we have left bust, then we'd be stuck in a black hole of a 8-10 seed in the conference. Not good enough to contend but then not bad enough to snag a high draft pick.

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
It's not just cap hits, it's draft position.

A nightmare scenario is should we trade for Barzal, and the few assets we have left bust, then we'd be stuck in a black hole of a 8-10 seed in the conference. Not good enough to contend but then not bad enough to snag a high draft pick.
We shouldn't trade from our current group of prospects for Barzal. We should sign him as an rfa and give up two future firsts a second and a third. Barzal is easily worth that and I don't believe that those firsts will be particularly high ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad