Barzal vs. Pettersson

• Mat Barzal

• Elias Pettersson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pettersson.

Skating Barzal is tremendously better. Playmaking I'll give the slight edge. Barzal does rack up a lot of secondary assists especially on the PP. Pettersson has I think less than 8 secondary points.

In terms of creativity, hockey IQ, shot, defensive awareness and overall two-way game Pettersson excels at considerably. Barzal although not outright terrible defensively is not even close to the two-way game Pettersson plays at. I think that's what separates them the most.

Yea, 10 of Barzal's 14 PP assists and 17 of his 30 total assists are secondary. 4 of Pettersson's 7 PP assists are secondary and only 7 of his 21 total assists. The team struggles to score when he's not creating things. Boeser helps but when the 3rd linemate and defense can't score, he's not getting many gimme points.

Reactions: dim jim

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
EP is one hell of a player, but in terms of using points as the main argument 40 games is still relatively small sample size especially because he started the season hot.

For example, up to Jan 25th last season, Barzal had 53 points in 50 games, despite going the first 5 games pointless.

EP has 45 in 40, and he got hot right off the bat scoring 8 points in his first 5 games. And yet, he'll probably end up close to that 53 after 50 games.

So at the end of the day, in terms of pure point production, their first 50 games isn't going to be that different. My point is, if you're comparing these two players by just looking at EP's points in his first 40 games and pacing it to 82 or something like that isn't going to prove anything. When the season is done EP probably finishes around the same PPG as Barzal did. Or maybe EP does score 90+, who knows, but we don't know that yet.

Both players will have amazing rookie seasons and lead their teams in points. To keep things fair, personally i really need to see another year from EP. First year is always the element of surprise and excitement, second year is handling outside and personal expectations. You want to see both sides of the coin before coming to conclusions.

So it's really tough to definitively say anything right now. To me they're close enough that it could go either way. Hard to go against EP though.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Gotta go with EP
Hes the younger player
Barzal had 22 goals in 82 games his rookie season
EP already has 23 goals in 40 games played

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Yea, 10 of Barzal's 14 PP assists and 17 of his 30 total assists are secondary. 4 of Pettersson's 7 PP assists are secondary and only 7 of his 21 total assists. The team struggles to score when he's not creating things. Boeser helps but when the 3rd linemate and defense can't score, he's not getting many gimme points.

Barzals linemates have combined for 2 goals over the last 15+ games

They literally do nothing out there

WHISTLERNATE

Nov 14, 2017
I honestly didn't think that Barzal would repeat what he did last. I thought he would fall off a fair bit when he had to step in and be the centerpiece in the NYI offence. Good on him, he has proven me very wrong.

I voted EP. I based it on the fact I would be unbelievably choked if we traded these guys 1 for 1.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Gotta go with EP
Hes the younger player
Barzal had 22 goals in 82 games his rookie season
EP already has 23 goals in 40 games played

This might be a good argument if the discussion was which of these two is a better goal scorer. But I don't think focusing exclusively on goal totals is a very good measure of a]who is a better playmaker and b]who is a better player overall.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
This might be a good argument if the discussion was which of these two is a better goal scorer. But I don't think focusing exclusively on goal totals is a very good measure of a]who is a better playmaker and b]who is a better player overall.

Sure, but goals are more valuable than assists
And it's not like ep doesnt have assists
Which is why I brought up the goal factor
Goals>assists

Last edited:

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I won’t vote as I’m a Canucks fan. But I somehow get the feeling that some people don’t realize truly how good Pettersson is, maybe teams in the East who don’t see much of him.

Does anyone have a video of his 2018/2019 highlights?

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I won’t vote as I’m a Canucks fan. But I somehow get the feeling that some people don’t realize truly how good Pettersson is, maybe teams in the East who don’t see much of him.

Unfortunately I havent seen one video out there with his ”true highlights” - all the amazing plays he makes each and every game that doesn’t end up in goals. One theory for this is that he simply has too many highlights, noone cares to put the ours in front of the computer it would take to nail down even a majority of all of them on a highlight reel.

I’ve never before experienced a player who made me wanna rewind several times a game watching a single move over and over, shaking my head, even though it means I get behind in the live broadcast.

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
EP has a chance to be the 2nd best player for the next 6-8 years whereas Barzal's best hope is maaybe top 15-20. Not close for me.

Reactions: Sayonara77

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Pettersson, not even close TBH. This kid has the skill to legit rival McDavid one day for the most talented forward on the planet.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

It's pretty much a landslide for Pettersson, obviously people do realize it = ) Both teams are happy and I hope both players have great careers with the team that drafted them. I hope we don't see any photos of Pete or Mat sucking their thumbs in Toronto's yellow soaked bed sheets.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Barzal is a wizard but I'm drawn to EP with his ability to score on his own, better release, harder shot. Both are incredible players though, both can make everyone around them better, close.

CHRoNiCWiLL

Mar 17, 2010
GTA
Canuck fans -> If you could trade EP for Barzal straight up and bring home the hometown boy, do you do it?

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I think both will be consistent 80-90 point offensive 1Cs through most of their careers, probably in the 5-10 range of centres. My personal preference is Barzal but I think they're pretty even

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Right now its Barzal. But Pettersson could easily be just as good as him in a year or 2...and he will be younger(even if its just a year).

Now Barzal
Future Pettersson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad