Barzal scores first goal in 17 games.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I think they’ll be close. 40 goals as a a teenage rookie is pretty amazing. Can’t take that away form Matthews

It'll be close-ish at least. But I'd still go with Barzal. But I don't really feel like nit-picking about it since both guys were/are great. If someone likes Matthews' rookie campaign more I won't start a big debate over it.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This is a higher scoring season so that needs to be taken into account. But, Barzal has probably been better than Matthews this season too.

That’s fair. Matthews is going to score 3o goals again and possibly 40 if he gets a bit hot. He’s also dominant on faceoffs and has been strong at both ends(except for against Barzal ;))

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It'll be close-ish at least. But I'd still go with Barzal. But I don't really feel like nit-picking about it since both guys were/are great. If someone likes Matthews' rookie campaign more I won't start a big debate over it.

I go with Barzal too be 40 goals for a rookie is insane.

Reactions: Plural

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
If he breaks PPG at the end of the season I'd say his rookie season is even better than Matthews last season. Amazing talent coming in to the league.
barzal is insanly good but getting 40 goals and leading your team to the playoffs your rookie year is one hell of a rookie season.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
0 goals in 16 games = confirmed bust.

In all seriousness though, the fact that there are almost as many posts about Mark Wahlberg than there are about Matt Barzal indicates that this thread isn't really necessary.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
barzal is insanly good but getting 40 goals and leading your team to the playoffs your rookie year is one hell of a rookie season.

Both are great accomplishments and you have to go back as far as Malkin to find comparable rookie season. (If Barzal manages 80+ points that is). It's obviously going to be more matter of preference than any factual difference but if Barzal manages to reach top-10 (or come really close to it) in points I probably would view it marginally better than Austons season. But I fully acknowledge that there is great arguments for Matthews too.

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
Yeah, not enough style points for it to count. His assists are of the phantom variety as well.

No need to get defensive. Was just stating he was lucky to have that goal gifted to him. I’m sure he has been robbed many times though. Was at the game, saw him live, great skater. That’s all of my opinion of him, that I will share because of your inability to just digest and keep scrolling. Typical kids these days.

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
Tavares should re-sign for the privilege of lining up as the #2C behind Barzal.

Barzal is so dynamic and noticeable every time he steps on to the ice. He puts me at ease when he's on the ice in OT; Tavares, on the other hand, has become a liability in OT because he always overstays his f***ing shift and is too burnt to back check. It's become his MO.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Mehhh this is kind of a completely false narrative. What exactly do you mean by “leading your team to the playoffs?”

To me that sounds like you’re implying Matthews didn’t have any help when the leafs had like 5 60 point players, Reilly Anderson etc.

member 262271

Barzal has been crazy good, great rookie season. It'll be interesting to see if Tavares stays (I believe he will) what a 1 two punch up the middle that will be for the Islanders future.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I think having Tavares and Barzal opens things up for both of them, as one line will inevitably get an easier matchup. I think you need two strong centres to truly cinoete in this league right now .

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Think he's going to be more a playmaker than anything else. Still going to be 1 good player during his career. Calder winner this year for sure.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The way Barzal plays though can be scary. Someone's gonna take his head off with the way he flies recklessly around the ice. Some call it gutsy but I think it's irresponsible. Hopefully he learns to be safer as he matures.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
The way Barzal plays though can be scary. Someone's gonna take his head off with the way he flies recklessly around the ice. Some call it gutsy but I think it's irresponsible. Hopefully he learns to be safer as he matures.

Think about this a lot...if he didnt have such good chemistry with Beau and Ebs id be all for bringing in a tough skilled winger (someone like Kane) but the way that line is playing you just can't break them up

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014

Lol you dont think players have tried taking his head off? What makes him a special player is that he is always two steps ahead of the player next to him. Thats what makes him the player he is. He is always aware of where he is on the ice. Thats not reckless.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
He skates with his head up the whole time. The guys that have problems with getting their head knocked off are usually staring at the ice. Will he take a big hit some day? Almost certainly, it happens to every player who holds onto the puck. But I doubt he'll ever be a player who is habitually getting lit up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad