Barzal scores first goal in 17 games.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He skates with his head up the whole time. The guys that have problems with getting their head knocked off are usually staring at the ice. Will he take a big hit some day? Almost certainly, it happens to every player who holds onto the puck. But I doubt he'll ever be a player who is habitually getting lit up.

People have been trying to decapitate Barzal all season, no one can catch him. Remember when the St. Louis d-man ate boards trying to kill him?

Gotta give that poster credit, this is a new one.

Reactions: SI90 and Konk

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The way Barzal plays though can be scary. Someone's gonna take his head off with the way he flies recklessly around the ice. Some call it gutsy but I think it's irresponsible. Hopefully he learns to be safer as he matures.

It's just not that kind of league anymore.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Rough rookie season he is having. :sarcasm:

1 goal in his last 17 games but 28 points in his last 20 games. o_O He has a chance at 90 points in his rookie season.
Assist is so dependant on other people sh% just look at last night in Toronto a goal and a slapper and bounce off the skate. It's why goals are a premium, next year barzel could have the same plays and have a much fewer amount of points. He would be as good even better but if his linmate struggles his production would go down. The thing i see in him is he has a good shot, maybe if he shoots more will balance everything out. Thats why a 40-40 player will always be worth more then a 20-60.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Acula

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Assist is so dependant on other people sh% just look at last night in Toronto a goal and a slapper and bounce off the skate. It's why goals are a premium, next year barzel could have the same plays and have a much fewer amount of points. He would be as good even better but if his linmate struggles his production would go down. The thing i see in him is he has a good shot, maybe if he shoots more will balance everything out.

The majority of his assist aren’t him passing to the other guy and then that guy taking the puck across the blue line and finding their own shots. Most of his assists come from him wearing down defenses and dominating puck possession until he finds and open man in a great scoring position.

My point is that Barzal like all the other great play makers (Crosby Tavares McDavid) puts his teammates in the best position possibly to score.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
The majority of his assist aren’t him passing to the other guy and then that guy taking the puck across the blue line and finding their own shots. Most of his assists come from him wearing down defenses and dominating puck possession until he finds and open man in a great scoring position.

My point is that Barzal like all the other great play makers (Crosby Tavares McDavid) puts his teammates in the best position possibly to score.
Not arguing with that. I have all his games I can go through each goals if you like and give you the totals if you like. I never said majority that would mean he sucks. I said assist man like him and voro in Philly and marner on my team they are dependent on guys who can score. Marner in his second year is realizing that and shooting more. It's the way most sport is, once the ball and puck leaves your stick you have no control. You can only give them their best chance.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Not arguing with that. I have all his games I can go through each goals if you like and give you the totals if you like. I never said majority that would mean he sucks. I said assist man like him and voro in Philly and marner on my team they are dependent on guys who can score. Marner in his second year is realizing that and shooting more. It's the way most sport is, once the ball and puck leaves your stick you have no control. You can only give them their best chance.

That’s fair and could maybe be the difference in 10-15 assists per year and possibly more. The talent and skill is there for these guys you mentioned and a lot of their “luck” is created by themselves.

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
That’s fair and could maybe be the difference in 10-15 assists per year and possibly more. The talent and skill is there for these guys you mentioned and a lot of their “luck” is created by themselves.
Yes I agree

Reactions: SI90

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol you dont think players have tried taking his head off? What makes him a special player is that he is always two steps ahead of the player next to him. Thats what makes him the player he is. He is always aware of where he is on the ice. Thats not reckless.
Good point. Barzal is hard enough to touch skating through the neutral zone. It is rare to get a big piece of him trying to hit him. He's very ellusive as a skater. Barring someone sticking out a knee or some cheap shot like that. He should not run into many situations of being vulnerable to a injuries. He's going to be hit, that's hockey. But he protects himself while not playing scared out there.

Reactions: Dr Acula

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
While Barzal is outscoring Matthews/Laine in their rookie years, both Matthews and Laine were top 5 in league goal scoring at this same point in their rookie seasons.

Laine was 2nd, and Matthews was 5th.

Barzal is 13th overall in scoring, and scoring is up.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
While Barzal is outscoring Matthews/Laine in their rookie years, both Matthews and Laine were top 5 in league goal scoring at this same point in their rookie seasons.

Laine was 2nd, and Matthews was 5th.

Barzal is 13th overall in scoring, and scoring is up.

Why is goal scoring the only thing that matters?

I'd hope that a pure playmaker wouldn't be ahead of two pure goal scorers in goals.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Barzal won't be better than Tavares.
I think he has the ability to be a better point producer. I'm not sure about goal scoring though.
However, Barzal has been the team MVP. His skating and playmaking ability as well as his defensive game could possibly help him surpass JT.
Who really knows how good Barzal will be? I just hope he continues to get better and stronger. He's a really nice person.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He skates with his head up the whole time. The guys that have problems with getting their head knocked off are usually staring at the ice. Will he take a big hit some day? Almost certainly, it happens to every player who holds onto the puck. But I doubt he'll ever be a player who is habitually getting lit up.
In a way he reminds me of a young Erik Karlsson with the way he skates and carries the puck up the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad