Barzal question for Throttle (and everyone else)

I'd trade Barzal for______________

• Total voters

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Who else can do what Barzal does on this roster?
Huberdeau is a 100x better passer than Tkachuk, however, Tkachuk is a 100x better overall player. Florida made the choice to upgrade their roster for the better overall player vs. a player with an effective, but more limited skillset.

And Florida was 100% right and reaping the benefits, whereas Calgary is now stuck with trying to find players to work with a player of limited skillset. Sound familiar?

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Who else can do what Barzal does on this roster?
No one. But you seem to have missed the point of my post, just because there is no one on the Islanders who can do what Barzal can do, that doesn't mean that there isn't anyone else in the league who can. And, of course, there are those who do it better. All I'm saying is that any potential deals that represent fair value or perhaps an upgrade or perhaps a better fit should be considered, particularly in the absence of great success with the status quo. Doesn't mean you have to pull the trigger if it doesn't seem right, but you have to keep an open mind to it.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
No one. But you seem to have missed the point of my post, just because there is no one on the Islanders who can do what Barzal can do, that doesn't mean that there isn't anyone else in the league who can. And, of course, there are those who do it better. All I'm saying is that any potential deals that represent fair value or perhaps an upgrade or perhaps a better fit should be considered, particularly in the absence of great success with the status quo. Doesn't mean you have to pull the trigger if it doesn't seem right, but you have to keep an open mind to it.
Wrong approach, you build the team around your best skilled players that you have invested in and know well.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
Wrong approach, you build the team around your best skilled players that you have invested in and know well.
Oh, well, I guess you told me.

But despite now knowing just how wrong my approach is, and thank you for that by the way, just out of curiosity, what if you're best skilled players (workers) aren't getting you the results you want? What if your investments would do better if they were reinvested elsewhere? Do you just stubbornly stick with them anyway? Is that how you conduct your business/life?

Oh, and, given that I now know the right approach, I guess that means you stick with your most experienced GM, because he's your guy and you build around him, right? You don't even consider making change there. God forbid.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
There’s enough evidence there to indicate he’s NOT the player to build around. We’ll see how the next 8 years goes. My guess is plodding along in the hopes he’s someone he’s not.

WPG already did this exercise with Laine, then PLD. What team is looking like the winner of the 3? WPG, LAK, or CLB?

Florida did the same with Huberdeau. How’s Calgary looking?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I would trade Barzal for Matt Tkachuk, or Elias Pettersson. Both players are a tier above Barzal. (They are a tier below the MacKinnon & Makar, who are a tier below McDavid.) There is absolutely no chance that Florida or Vancouver would, so this post is both obvious & pointless. When the only answers to a question are stupid or obvious, the question isn't a good one.

I believe Barzal and Eichel have different strengths, but are very similar in how they can contribute to team success. Eichel has also been subject to a ton of criticism when he played with subpar talent. Then he won a cup, showing the ability to fit in to a line. I think Barzal can absolutely do that. But, yeah, he's not Tkachuk. Unlike Tkachuk, he's missing some of the tools. You can tell Barzal worked extremely hard trying to improve his finishing with very uneven results. Otoh, he also worked very hard improving his defensive zone play with very good results. IMO that's all one can ask of a player - to improve where they can.

Reactions: Olliemets

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Is Barzal a winner? What's the metric to be considered a sinner... Stanley Cup only? If so, I guess it's inconclusive.

But, I don't see how Barzal leading the Islanders in playoff scoring over four playoff runs and six post season series wins is a smoking gun indicator that he can't be a winner.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Is Barzal a winner? What's the metric to be considered a sinner... Stanley Cup only? If so, I guess it's inconclusive.

But, I don't see how Barzal leading the Islanders in playoff scoring over four playoff runs and six post season series wins is a smoking gun indicator that he can't be a winner.
Well, like people like to say, that was all Trotz and his system…

What’s the flash been doing now to lead the Isles to the playoffs this season?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Well, like people like to say, that was all Trotz and his system…

What’s the flash been doing now to lead the Isles to the playoffs this season?
I guess we can also ask that of the supposedly stalwart players like Horvat et al.

Somehow there is reputation and narrative that isn’t lining up equitably. I see three solid top line players in Nelson, Horvat and Barzal… stylistically different but with similar results in their failings.

Horvat… Blown coverages, missed nets leading to odd man breaks and taking out Dobson on a hit that Tom Wilson would be proud of.

What is Barzal doing to lead the Isles to the playoffs? As much and as little as many in this organization from the ice through the front office.

Reactions: mm11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad