Barzal question for Throttle (and everyone else)

I'd trade Barzal for______________

• Total voters

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
Throttle (and everyone else),

To gauge your assessment of Barzal, for whom would you trade him?

To keep the juxtaposition as pure as possible,
  • must be a 1-for-1 trade. no additional players.
  • only forwards
  • ignore contracts. age matters.
  • ignore McDavid, MacKinnon, Pastrnak, Doucherov, Bedard, and Matthews because they're obvious.

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I know you want to forget contracts but at 9.5 he is worth what he is being paid to do and compared to what Lee is getting paid he is underpaid. other than Horvat who he is not playing with any longer everyone in the list plays with much better players.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
I know you want to forget contracts but at 9.5 he is worth what he is being paid to do and compared to what Lee is getting paid he is underpaid. other than Horvat who he is not playing with any longer everyone in the list plays with much better players.
Funny you picked Lee for comparison, any ones would look good compared to his.
Now compare him to say Nelson who has about the same amount of points the last 3-4 years and playing with same players and is making 3.5 million a year more and it doesn’t looks so good.

JBHockey

Mar 12, 2012
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Funny you picked Lee for comparison, any ones would look good compared to his.
Now compare him to say Nelson who has about the same amount of points the last 3-4 years and playing with same players and is making 3.5 million a year more and it doesn’t looks so good.
Fair Enough, I would still rather keep a home grown Barzal than anyone on the list,

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
You know what’s funny… is how many of the players on that list are teammates to each other.

But then we look at Barzal and compare him to individual players without regards to who they benefit from playing with.

Barzal, Horvat and Nelson are the only legitimate top six players on this team. Palmieri is on the cusp. All of those players have flaws that come through from time-to-time. Doing a 1-to-1 swap of Barzal for most players won’t yield much of an improvement.

Barzal is not the reason this team is being held back. That goes for this or previous years.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
The problem here is that all the players are either not good enough OR it's a sideways move. ie. Sure Nylander would be great, but the difference between the two career-wise is not a whole lot. not game changing. Tkachuk..you only have Matthew...what about Brady?

Eichel/petersson or both tkachuks,

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
You know what’s funny… is how many of the players on that list are teammates to each other.

But then we look at Barzal and compare him to individual players without regards to who they benefit from playing with.

Barzal, Horvat and Nelson are the only legitimate top six players on this team. Palmieri is on the cusp. All of those players have flaws that come through from time-to-time. Doing a 1-to-1 swap of Barzal for most players won’t yield much of an improvement.

Barzal is not the reason this team is being held back. That goes for this or previous years.

Biggest issue with the team is Lee and Pageau are paid to be top 6 contributors and providing bottom six play.

Reactions: WangMustGo

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
He's also a leader, 100% will get a full time letter under a new leadership crew.
Has he ever worn an A under Weight, Trotz, Lambert, or Roy? I don’t recall him ever wearing one even as a fill in.

Maybe during the Covid games as he was one of the few unscathed and played?

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Biggest issue with the team is Lee and Pageau are paid to be top 6 contributors and providing bottom six play.

And I think if moves are made, at least one (and probably only one) of these guys will not be on the team next year; either through trade or buyout. They would be the ones I would prioritize moving on from; both have two years left on their deals and are no longer earning their salaries. Pageau has not been the same since his injury, and while Lee still provides offense (he'll likely hit 20 goals before the year is out), he's no longer a Top 6 player on this team.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
We should be considering who on that list to acquire and for what package to play WITH Barzal, not trade him straight up for a lateral move

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
We should be considering who on that list to acquire and for what package to play WITH Barzal, not trade him straight up for a lateral move
Pulock or Dobson are the only two options for that to happen.

Torrey Redux

Please!
Apr 25, 2022
Philadelphia, PA
He's also a leader, 100% will get a full time letter under a new leadership crew.
He's a great player and possibly a leader (takes a lot of really stupid penalties at bad times) but the notion that he is or should be untouchable is ludicrous. Why would he be untouchable? Because the Islander's drafted him? Who cares? Get the best player you can get and if that means trading Barzal, you do it. I'm not saying it's even on anyone's mind, but let's say Draisaitl isn't going to sign an extension in EDM because he wants to be on the East Coast, shorter flight back to Germany or whatever, or because he's tired of living in McDavid's shadow or EDM fails again in the playoffs, are you not going to try to make that trade because Barzal is untouchable? It's self-defeating to think that way.

You know when players become untouchable? When they've actually achieved something great and do it over and over. No one on this team can claim that.

attilatheislander

It's Mr. Chicken Little to you!
Oct 10, 2014
California
SCMURRAY,

This was a thought experiment. It's a fantasyland game of limbo in which we see just how low everyone would go.

What you propose is more real world problem-solving. There's so many variables, thus making that exercise significantly more complicated, though legit for HF boards. I wanted something quick and simple.

I agree with you: with a couple exceptions, "lateral move" appears to be the result of this experiment.
I regret not including "none of the above" and Zegras.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad