Confirmed with Link: Barzal: Expected to play in Game 1

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I will give credit that at least some of the beat writers have made asking about Barzy a daily thing now. With that being said I really thought today would be the day we would hear that he was skating on his own, which would have set up for a timetable of rejoining practice later this week and returning to the lineup late next week in time for the last 3-4 games of the season. This would have aligned with what the team was saying all along.

But I do have to say if he is not skating by the end of this week, I do not see how he returns, even in time for the playoff opener (if we make it). And if that is the case, Lou, the team in general and the owners have some explaining to do. It is one thing to not provide details on what a specific injury is, but to emphasize decisively to the fans that he was expected to return and that this was not season-ending in order to keep the interest and hope flowing through the fan base (and get people to still buy tickets) is a false bill of goods and very sketchy business practice in my opinion.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
The team record looks pretty good for a team losing their highest paid player and are in the playoff hunt, let alone holding down a playoff spot.

If fans don’t buy or renew their tickets because of this one player, then good luck to this franchise being anything more than a concert venue with a hockey team taking up dates on the calendar.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Barzy is both missed and not missed. You really don't see them turning over the puck as often, but they lack so much killer instinct on the first line. It feels like everyone has to pitch in for the team, rather than Barzy having to carry this team kicking and screaming.

However, this team is at a point where no Barzal=no Horvat, and that kills our offense to about...Five players. Palmieri should be next to Horvat right now, and this team MUST pursue a winger in the offseason to replace Bailey/etc.

Last edited:

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The first few responses seem to be missing the point of this thread. It was not to continue another discussion of whether the team is better with our without Barzy, or to comment on the team's poor recent play. It is simply to discuss whether others believe that the fans deserve an explanation from management if there is not a sign of Barzal's impending return sometime soon. This is the team's best offensive player and we were told clearly and decisively that this was not a season ending injury and he was expected back in the "final weeks" of the regular season. There are now less than 3 weeks left in the season and he is not even skating yet.
Again, I understand not releasing specific details of an injury. But to tell your fanbase that their star player will be returning, all I am saying is if he does not return we deserve an explanation.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The first few responses seem to be missing the point of this thread. It was not to continue another discussion of whether the team is better with our without Barzy, or to comment on the team's poor recent play. It is simply to discuss whether others believe that the fans deserve an explanation from management if there is not a sign of Barzal's impending return sometime soon. This is the team's best offensive player and we were told clearly and decisively that this was not a season ending injury and he was expected back in the "final weeks" of the regular season. There are now less than 3 weeks left in the season and he is not even skating yet.
Again, I understand not releasing specific details of an injury. But to tell your fanbase that their star player will be returning, all I am saying is if he does not return we deserve an explanation.
I don't think they want to rush him back onto the ice is what they're doing. And lets say they clinch, then we see Barzal back on the ice. If not? Then no barzal.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
It's one of those things. I would like to know. I think Islanders fans have good reason to have some expectations that we are informed.

On the other hand, I think most NYI fans know that there's nothing we can do about it, and that silence about such things is how Lou operates. It's hard to imagine how any of us could shed any new light on the topic.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

That we know of.*

Timelines on injuries are just best guesses and we don't even know what the injury is. I don't remember anyone being as definitive in their analyses as you're making it sound but I could be mistaken. All I ever heard was "week to week" from official sources.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I just went back and looked through a few articles from Kurz to see if there was ever a definitive update and this is all I found.

From February 20th:

After initially stating Barzal was out indefinitely, the Islanders clarified Monday that Barzal should be considered “week to week,” and that the plan is for him to return at some point before the end of the season.

Not very definitive, just a loose plan and a loose timeline.

From March 12th:

But that help is on the way. Cal Clutterbuck played his first game on Saturday since Jan. 19, and Jean-Gabriel Pageau, out for a month now, has been taking part in practice for about a week. Pageau will be with the team on its upcoming three-game road trip through California, and all indications are that he’s nearing a return. (Lambert refused on Saturday morning to put any sort of timeline on when Barzal might return to the ice.)

Let’s assume Pageau comes back on this week’s road trip, while Barzal remains out for the rest of the regular season. How might the Islanders lines look, assuming everyone else is still available?

From March 17th:

Exactly when Barzal returns — if he returns at all — is still hazy. He’s not on the Islanders’ three-game road trip to California, which concludes on Saturday in San Jose, and coach Lane Lambert declined to offer any sort of update on Wednesday before the Ducks game.

Nothing concrete here.

From March 23rd:

The hope now, of course, is that the Islanders will avoid the kinds of scary situations that Nelson found himself in on Tuesday. And, they’re still hoping to get a boost from Barzal’s potential return, too. Lambert didn’t give much of an update on the injured forward’s status on Thursday, but Nelson relayed that they’re still counting on the dynamic playmaker coming back from his lower-body injury.

“Knowing that we have Barzy hopefully going the right direction and close for us is huge,” Nelson said. “You get a guy like that, that definitely changes things for us offensively and probably gives teams a little bit different look in terms of matchups and what they want to do. For us, a lot more depth, for sure.”

No update from the coach and Nelson is hopeful, which doesn't mean it's imminent.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
That we know of.*

Timelines on injuries are just best guesses and we don't even know what the injury is. I don't remember anyone being as definitive in their analyses as you're making it sound but I could be mistaken. All I ever heard was "week to week" from official sources.
First, Lambert has said every day including this morning since the writers have started asking daily that he is not skating. Are you suggesting Lambert could be lying? Second, go back and look at stories and tweets from the start of the week after the game he got injured. The team first said he was out indefinitely and then quickly recanted that and said he was expected back by the end of the regular season and that it was not season ending.
Edit* Just saw your updated response. Is it definitive? Maybe not. But the team said he would be back. That is very sketchy if he does not return.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
First, Lambert has said every day including this morning since the writers have started asking daily that he is not skating. Are you suggesting Lambert could be lying?

No, I just wasn't aware that he has stated that. I've only seen the "won't update at this time" sort of messages.

Second, go back and look at stories and tweets from the start of the week after the game he got injured. The team first said he was out indefinitely and then quickly recanted that and said he was expected back by the end of the regular season and that it was not season ending.
Edit* Just saw your updated response. Is it definitive? Maybe not. But the team said he would be back. That is very sketchy if he does not return.

They still might expect him back. Just expecting it doesn't mean it's sketchy if it doesn't happen though. I suspect that once the season is over, assuming he doesn't play again, that Lamoriello would provide the update as to why and a bit more about the injury.

Reactions: Big L

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Breaking news . . .

I blame Bailey . . .

If only we had bought him out over the summer, NONE of the injuries this year would have happened . . . he's a JINX!

Back to our regularly scheduled program . . .

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
No, I just wasn't aware that he has stated that. I've only seen the "won't update at this time" sort of messages.

They still might expect him back. Just expecting it doesn't mean it's sketchy if it doesn't happen though. I suspect that once the season is over, assuming he doesn't play again, that Lamoriello would provide the update as to why and a bit more about the injury.
But for me personally the problem is not whether they will eventually tell us the injury or just update us on why he didnt come back. It is the fact that to me it would come off as misleading and false advertising to have immediately sold the fan base on the idea of the team fighting to stay in the playoff race and then Barzy would be back. If it turns out he does not even start skating before the end of the season, I will feel very misled and I think that this is wrong to do to your paying customers. I am not saying we would have just given up on the season, but knowing Barzal would be back gave me hope of there still being a playoff run and certainly made me more willing to shell out money for games than I would have been had I known no matter how much the team fought, their best player would not be back this season. But maybe that is just me.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But for me personally the problem is not whether they will eventually tell us the injury or just update us on why he didnt come back. It is the fact that to me it would come off as misleading and false advertising to have immediately sold the fan base on the idea of the team fighting to stay in the playoff race and then Barzy would be back. If it turns out he does not even start skating before the end of the season, I will feel very misled and I think that this is wrong to do to your paying customers. I am not saying we would have just given up on the season, but knowing Barzal would be back gave me hope of there still being a playoff run and certainly made me more willing to shell out money for games than I would have been had I known no matter how much the team fought, their best player would not be back this season. But maybe that is just me.

From what I looked up you weren't sold anything though (if you have something else that explicitly states something different feel free to post it, I definitely haven't been keeping close tabs on the reporting for him), you are interpreting what was said as way more factual/concrete than it is/was. I think this is a you issue, not the team selling you a false good.

It's just the luck of the draw when buying tickets. At least the team is still competitive and battling for a playoff spot.

Reactions: Big L and Zeeker

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
From what I looked up you weren't sold anything though (if you have something else that explicitly states something different feel free to post it, I definitely haven't been keeping close tabs on the reporting for him), you are interpreting what was said as way more factual/concrete than it is/was. I think this is a you issue, not the team selling you a false good.

It's just the luck of the draw when buying tickets. At least the team is still competitive and battling for a playoff spot.
Sorry, I disagree. It may not be as concrete as I am implying. But for example the Hurricanes flat out said that Svechnikov was out for the season. No ambiguity there. If Barzal was almost certainly out for the season, I believe the organization should have told the fanbase he was likely done and if a miracle happens then great. But even if the phrasing was not as concrete as I am saying, the organization is clearly acting like he is coming back. Even last week there are full articles with quotes from Nelson and Pageau about him coming back soon. To me it is no surprise that right around the trade deadline when they were still trying to sell season plans for next season and get renewals that they did not want to say that Barzal was done for the season. Obviously I hope he is coming back and we suddenly hear he is skating over the next few days. Again, my only point is I believe a pro sports team owes it to its fans, its paying customers to be upfront (and certainly not lie) about a star players availability. If others do not believe that fans are owed this kind of information then that is fine, but this was the whole purpose of the post was to debate this idea.

Reactions: Barzaltrick

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Sorry, I disagree. It may not be as concrete as I am implying. But for example the Hurricanes flat out said that Svechnikov was out for the season. No ambiguity there. If Barzal was almost certainly out for the season, I believe the organization should have told the fanbase he was likely done and if a miracle happens then great. But even if the phrasing was not as concrete as I am saying, the organization is clearly acting like he is coming back. Even last week there are full articles with quotes from Nelson and Pageau about him coming back soon. To me it is no surprise that right around the trade deadline when they were still trying to sell season plans for next season and get renewals that they did not want to say that Barzal was done for the season. Obviously I hope he is coming back and we suddenly hear he is skating over the next few days. Again, my only point is I believe a pro sports team owes it to its fans, its paying customers to be upfront (and certainly not lie) about a star players availability. If others do not believe that fans are owed this kind of information then that is fine, but this was the whole purpose of the post was to debate this idea.

Lots of fans agree that teams should be required to report injuries, you're certainly not alone and you're entitled to have that opinion.

I just disagree with the sentiment that they are/were intentionally misleading people. There is also still time for him to return.

Reactions: Big L

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Your point was the team was intentionally not providing a clear picture on the players injury for the benefit of ticket sales and was a ‘sketchy business.’

Did Pens fans stop showing up for games when Crosby was out numerous times for concussions? Or Caps fans not show up for home games when Ovi went back to Russia for a family matter? (Or everyone knew, understood, still went and paid anyway?)

And those players are actual league superstars…

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Thanks @PK Cronin for bringing facts to the discussion. No where did the Isles say barzal would be back. Anything reported regarding a timeline is speculation by reporters.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Yet, the team seems to have a winning record and has retained a playoff spot during this time. So, maybe the belief in the player’s significance to the team is not in line with your belief and the actual facts of the team’s record and place in the standings.

Yet, there was a time last season when the team had injuries and COVID, yet this player failed to lead the team. Rather, it suffered. Similarly, earlier this season (and prior to the Horvat trade), certain players were injured, this player again failed to lead the team. Now, the newly acquired player people have issues with is here, this player is out of the lineup during a critical stretch, and the team has a winning record and sits in a playoff spot.

Buy your tickets, the Islanders haven’t misled you.

Reactions: Big L and MJF

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
Thanks @PK Cronin for bringing facts to the discussion. No where did the Isles say barzal would be back. Anything reported regarding a timeline is speculation by reporters.
Yeah, OP is really doing some next level extrapolating with “we’re hopeful he’ll be back before end of season”

IslesCLT

Apr 25, 2019
Charlotte
I can only imagine the outrage if they said he’d be back but then missed the self imposed deadline.

Setting a date on an unknown thing like return from an injury is a lose lose situation. But hey, at least OP is still here to give it to us straight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad