Bartolo Colon HOF?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I hope he keeps playing into his 50's - as long as he's still serviceable

If he can still get outs, and enjoys playing, I wouldn't mind seeing him creep up into Jamie Moyer territory and join the oldest players in baseball history.

As for whether or not he'll enter Cooperstown.....I doubt it.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's a guy with a Cy and made the all star game with 4 different teams.

War near 50 with 5 consecutive wasted seasons (06-10). He has a much better case if he pitched effectively during that time instead.
My problem with him is he's been average much more then great. He's stuck around forever which adds to his stats but for myself he's not a HOF pitcher. However his WAR cannot be ignored and that added to his longevity and CY could be enough but if I'm voting he doesn't enter.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The fact he was busted for steroids turns him from a 'highly unlikely but maybe there's a small chance' to 'not a hope in hell'. If they're struggling to give steroid exemptions to Bonds and Clemens and aren't even thinking about it for Rafael Palmeiro, they aren't doing it for Bartolo Colon.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
He's a guy with a Cy and made the all star game with 4 different teams.

War near 50 with 5 consecutive wasted seasons (06-10). He has a much better case if he pitched effectively during that time instead.

He should never have won that Cy though

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Nope

Plenty of guys not in HF with stronger resume/accomplishments then him

Also how many HOF pitchers have career era over 4 in HOF?

The highest ERA for a player inductee in the Hall of Fame is 3.90, belonging to Jack Morris (who does not belong in the Hall of Fame).

Adjusted for environment, the worst ERA in the Hall of Fame belongs to Rube Marquard (103 ERA+). He was elected by the Veteran's Committee largely because he was interviewed for The Glory of Their Times and also on the strength of a 19-game winning streak to start the 1912 season (Marquard was legitimately excellent in that season and continued his excellence in the World Series, which the Giants famously lost and which the papers blamed on Fred Snodgrass' dropped fly ball). Morris is tied with Catfish Hunter with a 104 ERA+.

Colon's ERA is actually more impressive than any of them, with a 106 ERA+. He still doesn't deserve it.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
His career bwar is 47, which is too low for an HOFer. Sometimes guys get in with numbers like that, but they tend to have either short and exceptional careers or particularly good optics and lobbying support (like Jack Morris).

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I hate this logic. One undeserving player was inducted. So what then? The entirety of the Baseball Hall of Fame should be watered down? Also, the worst thing Cooperstown could do is follow the lead of the Veterans’ Committee.
One is only as strong as their weakest member.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
One is only as strong as their weakest member.

If you went that route, the Hall of Fame would have well over 1,000 player inductees.

Tommy McCarthy was inducted as a player in 1945. McCarthy was worth about 16 WAR in his career. There are 1,000 players with 27 or more career WAR.

You don't compound clear errors arising from a capricious and faulty electoral system by considering them the new standard (or the old standard). You look at where the standards really are for the bulk of inductees.

For example, Lou Whitaker, who is a little bit above the junction between deserving and undeserving second basemen. I have him in the middle of a group of Hall of Famers - Gordon, Frisch, Sandberg, Biggio, and Alomar. The only second basemen I have ahead of him who are eligible are Ross Barnes (who stopped being a good player in 1876, when the National League changed the foul ball rules to prohibit bunts that bounced fair once and then went into foul territory) and Bobby Grich. I have him above a group of second basemen with decent but weakish cases (Billy Herman, Cupid Childs, Willie Randolph, Bobby Doerr, Tony Lazzeri, Hardy Richardson) and well ahead of players who were probably or clearly mistakes (McPhee, Nellie Fox, Evers, Schoendienst, and Mazeroski - they're intermixed with players who no one supports, like Tony Phillips, Lonny Frey, Bobby Avila, or Ray Durham). Lou Whitaker would not bring the standards of the Hall of Fame down, because he fits right within those standards alongside players no one considers to be mistakes and well ahead of players with marginal cases or no cases at all.

Bartolo Colon does not. I have him well outside the top 100 - in fact, he wasn't even on my original data sheet, so there are undoubtedly other pitchers who will get slotted ahead of him. Right now, I have him at #124, behind Mickey Lolich and Dolf Luque, and ahead of Fernando Valenzuela and Carl Mays. Good pitchers, sure, but not Hall of Famers. In fact, virtually all of the Hall of Famers behind him are pretty clearly errors - Herb Pennock, Lefty Gomez, Jack Chesbro, Addie Joss, Catfish Hunter, Jack Morris... I think Colon is about 50 players too far (about 75 current HOF pitchers, including those, like Smokey Joe Williams, who were prevented from playing in the major leagues because of racism, seems about correct.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad