Bartkowski hit on Gionta (No Supplemental Discipline)

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Gionta made every attempt to play the puck, its not Bartowski's fault that Gionta whiffed on it.

This is no different than the Kronwall on Havlat hit.

Sorry, but he never got all that close to the puck. It was a major interference penalty for a reason. Bartkowski needs to be more responsible there, not Gionta.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
5 and a game was the right call, that should have been the end of it, and it was.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackNgold 84

Known Kellyist
Nov 21, 2011
Massachusetts
It was late and he got what he deserved when it comes to the penalties.. and good for Foligno standing up for a teammate.. I'd expect that from a Bruin as well. I don't see further discipline since the principal contact was the shoulder.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
What should be applauded here is the response from Foligno and the response from Bartkowski. Foligno didn't like the hit and came after Bartkowski, and Bartkowski didn't hesitate to drop the gloves with a much more experienced fighter. Bartkowski has never ever been in an NHL fight either.

Some players should take notes.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
I know the ruling has already been made, but if I had gotten in on the discussion beforehand (and still now), I would have had to say that I'm iffy on whether there should be supplemental punishment or not.. This one is a really difficult call; if the League had decided on some suspension time, I'd have been perfectly alright with it, because really I couldn't say one way or the other.

fighterfoo

Time for a change.
Nov 29, 2005
Manchester, NH
The reason why they gave him a 5-minute major is so that they could give them the game misconduct (you can't give a 10-min or game misconduct without a major). The reason why they wanted to give him the game is because it was an interference penalty that caused significant injury.

Had Gionta touched the puck, it's a clean hit, which is why no supplemental discipline for a headshot.

It's honestly nothing more than this.

FallsForItEveryYear

Jun 26, 2007
Sorry, but he never got all that close to the puck. It was a major interference penalty for a reason. Bartkowski needs to be more responsible there, not Gionta.

you know except for the split second before the hit when the puck slid right by gionta's stick. i'm not sure you can get any closer to playing the puck than gionta did.

bruinforstanley

Oct 24, 2005
Alpharetta, GA
For me there was no intent to injure or target the head on this play. Hockey is a FAST game. Players see different angles from different parts of the ice. Bart had a chance to lay a solid hit on a player attempting to make contact with the puck. He did his job and followed through to knock the player off the puck. It's taught from day one to knock players off the puck. Granted, Gionta missed the puck and the result LOOKED far worse than it actually was. There was nothing malicious or dirty about the hit. Yes, because BG never touched the puck, interference was called. A penalty was called. Should be end of story.

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico
For me there was no intent to injure or target the head on this play. Hockey is a FAST game. Players see different angles from different parts of the ice. Bart had a chance to lay a solid hit on a player attempting to make contact with the puck. He did his job and followed through to knock the player off the puck. It's taught from day one to knock players off the puck. Granted, Gionta missed the puck and the result LOOKED far worse than it actually was. There was nothing malicious or dirty about the hit. Yes, because BG never touched the puck, interference was called. A penalty was called. Should be end of story.

:shakehead probably at least 80% of the hits with suspensions never had intent to injure or target the head. That's such a lame argument to make.

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
As a habs fan who hates the Bruins, I think it's a clean hit. Well it's difficult to see the principal point of contact but it looks to be the chest or shoulder.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Per Player Safety

@NHLPlayerSafety

Bartkowski/Gionta is an example of incidental head contact on an otherwise full body check.

B5ejR1qIcAElXjH.jpg:large

The head is not the MAIN point of contact. Also, Gionta puts himself in a vulnerable position making contact with his head unavoidable.

Bartkowski neither extends upward, nor does he "pick" the head.

ARSix

Mar 12, 2012
Oh my god I love this hit.

Shoulder is primary point of contact and puck is in the vicinity and was just touched, I think, by Gionta.

Not even worth a penalty.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If Gionta's 5'11" this would be talked about just an interference penalty and a nice shoulder hit.

Because the refs saw the hit at game speed, and saw Gionta do a cartwheel and came up bleeding they called the major interference penalty. At game speed it looks like Gionta's principle point of contact was his head. The hit itself, when slowed down, was body on body with Gionta's height affecting which body part Bartowski's shoulder impacted. The follow through of the elbow had no bearing on the hit, and may have affected what the refs called anyways.

It's an unfortunate hit, caused by Gionta being fed a suicide pass, and Bartowski taking the body as he should. The major and game ejection is fine by me for discipline.

FanHabtic*

Gionta sold it with that mid-air cartwheel. The Hab is still strong in him! ;)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Oh my god I love this hit.

Shoulder is primary point of contact and puck is in the vicinity and was just touched, I think, by Gionta.

Not even worth a penalty.

...Other than the fact that Gionta never even touched the puck. Might've been a clean hit had that happened, but it was an obvious interference call and a pretty predatory hit, even if it whatever head contact occurred was incidental. Stupid pass from Foligno to put Gionta in that position though.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Not enough credit given to Foligno, that was the only appropriate action after the hit. He should still buy a beer or two to Gionta (I'm assuming it was him who made that suicide pass).

You make a bad pass and your teammate pays the price, you can't just skate away.

Lemons

Mar 26, 2008
The reason why they gave him a 5-minute major is so that they could give them the game misconduct (you can't give a 10-min or game misconduct without a major). The reason why they wanted to give him the game is because it was an interference penalty that caused significant injury.

Had Gionta touched the puck, it's a clean hit, which is why no supplemental discipline for a headshot.

It's honestly nothing more than this.

Agree with this.

Doesn't seem to be malicious in anyway. Just terribly timed and he deserved the 5 major. No further discipline needed. Hockey needs hits like this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad