Post-Game Talk: Bart on the ice for the final minute..... Avs win in the final minute

OrreyKroog

May 10, 2014
It seemed like "piling on Bart" because some people defended his actions on that play. Literally no one denied Bergeron really ****ed up. So only one of those guys led to conversation. Hell, Seidenberg generated more conversation too.

The board 100% agrees Bergeron ****ed up. I don't know what to say about it though. I mean, how often does he do that? If you have a closer that just made forty straight saves you don't really have to talk much if he blows the 41st, know what I mean?

In this analogy Bartkowski is John Wasdin.

And he blew the save because Nomad bobbled a grounder, threw late and low to Vaughn who couldn't scoop it allowing the inherited runner that Pedro walked to score. About the same level of responsibility Bart had here.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
And he blew the save because Nomad bobbled a grounder, threw late and low to Vaughn who couldn't scoop it allowing the inherited runner that Pedro walked to score. About the same level of responsibility Bart had here.

I'm not going to keep debating this with you. We disagree. How many times can we disagree before you don't care? For me it is apparently 5 times.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
that whole play was a mess, and shows how much of a mess our team was on defensive coverage.
including bergie.

But, bottom line is any defenseman with some hockey sense, doesnt leave a man behind him like that. in front of the net. you stay at the front of the net and keep the play in front of you.

looks like he tried telling bergie to cover the slot guy. Bergie obviously didnt hear him or see his motioning. But Bart still shouldnt of left his post. Especially with 2 seconds left. a smart defenseman knows the time and what can be done in said time.

also-m bart has no business being out there under a minute in a tie game.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
that whole play was a mess, and shows how much of a mess our team was on defensive coverage.
including bergie.

But, bottom line is any defenseman with some hockey sense, doesnt leave a man behind him like that. in front of the net. you stay at the front of the net and keep the play in front of you.

looks like he tried telling bergie to cover the slot guy. Bergie obviously didnt hear him or see his motioning. But Bart still shouldnt of left his post. Especially with 2 seconds left. a smart defenseman knows the time and what can be done in said time.

also-m bart has no business being out there under a minute in a tie game.

I guess? I would say that he might when he has a veteran D partner behind him?

Would any d-man with some hockey sense cover a guy with 299 career goals directly in front of the net rather than play in between him and a d-man with 36 career goals?

Just sayin'...

Mike, FYI I'm starting to get sick of this, might take a few more posts ;)

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Blaming Bart for that goal is silly. Bergy, seids put him in that situation. Even Svedberg could've done a better job of poking the puck away.

You forgot Marchand who is responsible for the puck being in our end with his horrible pass that got intercepted at center ice with 30 seconds to go.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
It seemed like "piling on Bart" because some people defended his actions on that play. Literally no one denied Bergeron really ****ed up. So only one of those guys led to conversation. Hell, Seidenberg generated more conversation too.

The board 100% agrees Bergeron ****ed up. I don't know what to say about it though. I mean, how often does he do that? If you have a closer that just made forty straight saves you don't really have to talk much if he blows the 41st, know what I mean?

In this analogy Bartkowski is John Wasdin.

Many people here are not even mentioning (much less harping on) Bergeron or any forward, at least not until some of us are defending everyone's favorite scapegoat... THEN some acknowledge other failings in subsequent replies. I don't mean everyone, or even you, just saying in general.

But seriously-- it shouldn't be that surprising some here (including me) have defended Bart in this thread. How often is one player singled out in the Post-game Thread in a manner that suggests/implies the said player was literally the reason for the loss??

"______ on the ice for the final minute, [Bruins lose] in the final minute"... That's about as much as you can single one player out as possible.

Bartkowski wasn't the reason why we lost... this team should be winning games in which they allow 2 goals. I guess that is what passes as being fair to Bart around this place.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Sure you are. I absolutely hate when people say this.

Bergeron made a mistake. A rare mistake, but everyone makes them...even him. His tend to get pointed out and forgiven rather quickly because they are rare, while others get piled on when they do something wrong because they aren't as consistent.

Patrice Bergeron is our best all around player. When he ****s up, it's more easily forgiven because of that, and because he realistically makes what amounts to a handful of costly mistakes throughout the course of a season.

He's not above criticism, he's forgiven more easily...and rightfully so, IMO. There's a huge difference.

Well, we all know how consistent Bergy is. He rarely makes a mistake. But that's not the point. It's about this play specifically - not track records - and where the D coverage breakdown began on that play, and that's with Bergy. His mistake basically put Bart in a no-win situation.

But the track record of this place is that some people need a whipping boy and they'll zero in on their target regardless of where the real accountabilities lie. People mentioned Bergy's mistake but also seemed to be turning themselves into contortionists to make sure the blame landed on Bartkowski.

If Bart had held his post close to the net? It's such a secondary issue because then the puck could easily have ended up on the stick on an uncovered Tanguay - and we're still back to discussing who made the error that lost the game.

Bergeron covers his guy, and we're having a different conversation: probably discussing who makes the mistake that blows the game in OT, or why Spooner didn't score in the shootout. :)

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Bingo.

Where was Sides? Where was Bergeron? I didn't see any comments from either taking responsibility. To me, that's more disturbing than the goal itself. I don't want to make too big a deal out of it, but after a game like that, why are we getting two paragraphs of Bart taking responsibility and nothing from the vets? Maybe I just missed that?

Was thinking the same thing. Maybe they did, and it just didn't make it into the press, but at the very least I hope those vets said something in the room by way of a mea culpa. I can't imagine they didn't.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
How is this still a topic? Bart came out and admitted he was wrong. How much more do you need??! :laugh:

Bart took one for the team.

It seems that in the media, holding Bergeron accountable for his mistake is taboo and rather than create a crap storm, Bart put the blame solely on himself.

Speaks volumes of his character and the kind of teammate he is.

member 96824

Locker room divided. Team Bart vs. Team Bergeron

You read it here first

Slainte!

member 96824

"If Bergeron gives us half of Toews"

"Sir he was injured"

"LET ME FINISH MY LINE"

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Totally off topic, but Dan and I were talking yesterday and throwing stuff around jokingly.

Would you deal Bergeron for Coyle and Brodin?

I said no to PB, but yes to DK.

Everybody knows I dont believe in untouchable players.

But Bergeron is about damn close as I can get.

I dont trade him.

hooked

Jul 6, 2005
The sad thing is that if it was at the other end of the ice, a Bruin would have hit the post at the .4 mark.

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
Tough combination. Star center playing injured, solid defender in 4th game in 10 months, an AHL defenseman and a rookie goalie.

I really wasn't expecting better. In fact, I would have counted the other Avs goal and just ended this mess earlier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad