Barry Trotz's tenure as Caps coach (Years 4 through 15)

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
our bottom-6 sucked again, it's whole on Trotz. Sullivan promoted Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Kuhnhackl and Wilson to win the cup, Trotz demoted Vrana to win another meaningless PT.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
our bottom-6 sucked again, it's whole on Trotz. Sullivan promoted Sheary, Guentzel, Rust, Kuhnhackl and Wilson to win the cup, Trotz demoted Vrana to win another meaningless PT.

I was very curious about how Vrana would've done in that series. Alot of young guys played well with a similar skill set to him. Only played 11 forwards so there was a spot for him.

Trotz would have rather played Dale Hunter though probably

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Trotz is going to have to change his system to see success. Give him a year to see what he can do with a youth movement. Trade some "heavy" for speed, see what happens.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Trotz is going to have to change his system to see success. Give him a year to see what he can do with a youth movement. Trade some "heavy" for speed, see what happens.

So.... exactly what they've done in each of the past two years? Third time's the charm, right?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So.... exactly what they've done in each of the past two years? Third time's the charm, right?

Right. But not entirely young, heavy, or fast. Kind of in between. Riding 2 horses at once as they say.

Someone mentioned it earlier...Trotz is Trotz by now. If the apple hasn't hit him on the head after roughly 2 decades it's probably never going to fall.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
With all of the youth that is in the NHL and having success Trotz will be left behind because of his distrust in playing those guys. Everyone of the young guys on this roster has been beat up pretty good by that mindset of Trotz. Wilson hasn't developed. Burakovsky hasn't gotten off the third line and was benched. Kuznetsov has gone through stretches of extreme lows in production which is unacceptable. Schmidt and Orlov have both been benched in the playoffs. There hasn't been a single AHL player to come up to the roster and stick.

Unacceptable

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If you want new ideas then get new people. What should make anyone believe in the current staff with a younger, inferior lineup? Whatever ideas they may have due to circumstances probably should have been employed earlier thanks to foresight anyway. That goes not just for this past season but the previous two as well. They had their chances and blew it. Time for something different. Trotz's contract status just brings it to a head.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The other possibility would be that Trotz has been "fired upstairs." He gets promoted out of the head coaching position to some other spot in the front office with different (or lesser) responsibilities.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Trotz can't coach a fast offensive skilled game. It's unnatural to him. All his offense has to be a product of being "heavy" or "cycling the puck". PPG playoff scorer Phil Kessel or playoff gamer Alex Radulov would be run out of town by him. Ryan Johansen would never have the opportunity and freedom to be a cup finals caliber 1C. Getting Trotz away from Nashville was just as instrumental for developing Forsberg into a playoff monster for them as trading him there in the first place

Speed is ultimately what wins game 7s when both teams are clutching their sticks waiting for that one mistake

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So with the Penguins winning does that get Trotz the can??

No I think it's the opposite. The old "we lost to a Cup Finalist/Winner" excuse is in play now. But this is a crap excuse that only means anything when you're a rebuilding team that's overachieving and looking for signs of improvement. When your goal is winning it all you have to EXPECT to face good teams on the way who have almost as much of a chance/claim as you do.

So losing to a good team is simply "losing" at this stage.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The only fair point in any status of losing to Pittsburgh these last two times was that maybe that matchup should have been in the 3rd round rather than the 2nd and the not getting out of the 2nd round loses some of its weight.

Never the less, had the Caps had the best regular season back to back seasons since the Scotty Bowman/Guy LaFluer-Ken Dryden Canadiens and then get knocked out in the 3rd round by the same team twice, Trotz would still be where he is now. On the launching pad.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The only fair point in any status of losing to Pittsburgh these last two times was that maybe that matchup should have been in the 3rd round rather than the 2nd and the not getting out of the 2nd round loses some of its weight.

Never the less, had the Caps had the best regular season back to back seasons since the Scotty Bowman/Guy LaFluer-Ken Dryden Canadiens and then get knocked out in the 3rd round by the same team twice, Trotz would still be where he is now. On the launching pad.

I don't even think that's a fair point. The Penguins face the same unfair 2nd round matchups and keep winning them. Few people thought the Leafs would be so troublesome in the first round. "yeah but they won" cuts both ways, in that "yeah but they lost" applies in the 2nd round, too.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What Pittsburgh does the rest of the way should have zero bearing on whether to retain Trotz or not. It should be more about the past three seasons and the way forward more than what that team they lost two twice has achieved. If just being kind of sort of close is enough for them then enjoy it while it lasts.

Pittsburgh will get Letang back. Maybe they lose Schultz/Bonino/Daley/Kunitz to UFA. Maybe. Maybe the Caps get a good Holtby next time. Maybe. But there needs to be something tangible to point to when it comes to closing the gap organizationally and forcing a Game 7 this year isn't enough. They went all-in on a team that just didn't have it mentally and now we're to believe that dysfunction is acceptable? There's no outcome that makes their mentality acceptable.

jsykes

Dec 29, 2009
NoVa
This team needs someone with some Cup experience. We havent had that either on the bench or up in the front office. We need someone with some winning experience.

Isnt Sutter available? He knows how to get teams to the finals, even when they probably shouldnt be there.

Sep 19, 2008
Knock on Trotz is that "he doesn't play the rookies enough" and was too loyal to Orpik instead of putting other young kids in his place. As the Hershey kids start to mature and grow up they should definitely start to see more time with the big league club. I keep on saying this because it's true, but Pittsburgh literally had zero qualms gutting WBS for talent. Guentzel as well as other kids like Kunhackel, Sheary, et cetera went through WBS the last few years and were called up rather quickly. I adamantly believe the next step in trying to unseat Pittsburgh is to bring our own youth up. Alzner can easily be replaced by someone from Hershey. I want Hershey kids called up and I want to see what they have to offer. I want to see them get regular playing time too.

Sports is a copycat league. I fail to see why we can't do what Pittsburgh does.

This team needs someone with some Cup experience. We havent had that either on the bench or up in the front office. We need someone with some winning experience.

Isnt Sutter available? He knows how to get teams to the finals, even when they probably shouldnt be there.

Oh he's available...but the reason he still doesn't have a job is because players detest him. You could argue that kind of person is what the Caps need...but in his last 3 years he missed the playoffs twice. In a "What have you done for me lately" league, Sutter's 2 stanley cup runs are ancient history.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
In a "What have you done for me lately" league, Sutter's 2 stanley cup runs are ancient history.

2 cups and a WCF in the last 5 years is ancient history to you? The caps would kill to have his 50 percentile result ONCE :laugh:

I guess Barry's 17 2nd round exits or worse stretch so far back in time it's prehistory and literally the only good coach in the league is Mike Sullivan IF he wins the cup again.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
2 cups and a WCF in the last 5 years is ancient history to you? The caps would kill to have his 50 percentile result ONCE :laugh:

I guess Barry's 17 2nd round exits or worse stretch so far back in time it's prehistory and literally the only good coach in the league is Mike Sullivan IF he wins the cup again.

Good thing you didn't look up stats or anything cosidering his 10 seasons of nhl playoffs came when most times Nashville was a 7/8 seed always taking on the mighty Detroit redwings, but yea lets act like its Barry's fault

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Good thing you didn't look up stats or anything cosidering his 10 seasons of nhl playoffs came when most times Nashville was a 7/8 seed always taking on the mighty Detroit redwings, but yea lets act like its Barry's fault

haha yeah bro 17 straight seasons of failing to advance past the 2nd round including with the powerhouse caps and 2 powerhouse preds teams totally not his fault, it's just his gosh darn luck, st barry 4eva. Not like an 8th seed Nashville team is in the finals or anything :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad