Confirmed with Link: Barry Trotz out as coach - Hired in Washington

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
I think Trotz will do well and am really happy to see him sign with the Caps. I live in DC now and look forward to seeing him behind the bench at Caps games.

Ovechkin is not Radulov; I think we're doing some blanket Russian equations here. I don't think "controlled disconnected" Ovie is going to fly, but I don't think Trotz is going to try to convert him to a Bergeron-esque two way forward either. Hunter tried it once and it failed.

SeventyOneTN

Oct 26, 2009
I like the hire, glad he is in the east, wish him all the best. That team is an example of the sum of the parts don't are greater than the whole. Will be interesting to see how Trotz translates, since his strength has been getting the most out of a little.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Trotz is a great guy, but I think this is a marriage made in hell. The Caps have been all about offense (think Boudreau, think Oates). The team had Hunter for six months who tried to emphasize defense and restrict Ovi's time - but he quit. Guys like Ovi, Backstrom, Green are offensive first guys. I just don't see Trotz being able to change that culture. Unless - Ovi coming off a good IIHF tournament -and at 28 with a few good years left- is traded for a younger star star and a high draft pick. I could see a Winnipeg or Montreal thinking about that.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I disagree that this is a doomed hire.
Trotz is a player's coach-- he builds relationships off ice, and has shown SOME ability to adapt (re: use of advanced analytics, different levels of player skills) so I think it could turn out to be very successful. It is high risk in that he has to take that team to a cup in the next few years or it is a failure in the view of everyone as their window is small.

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
Quote from Ted's take, blog of the Capital's owner:
"One key component for Dick and me was to ensure Brian and Barry share similar philosophies regarding team structure, style of play and the changes we need to make as an organization...While they both have their own opinions and strong viewpoints – and are unencumbered in sharing them – there is an alignment in their thinking. There is a belief in a common system that will allow individual talents – offensive, defensive and goaltending – to flourish while committing to a style of play that will be the most beneficial to our team...Their shared focus on a team and organization-wide identity, system and philosophy is paramount.
Link to whole thing
I think this indicates their priorities in the hire were:
1) strong system/structure
2) Strong team identity
3) bedrock philosophy to support 1 & 2

It helps you understand why Trotz would be THE guy they woudl focus on, besides his history with the club. An interesting read.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Quote from Ted's take, blog of the Capital's owner:
"One key component for Dick and me was to ensure Brian and Barry share similar philosophies regarding team structure, style of play and the changes we need to make as an organization...While they both have their own opinions and strong viewpoints – and are unencumbered in sharing them – there is an alignment in their thinking. There is a belief in a common system that will allow individual talents – offensive, defensive and goaltending – to flourish while committing to a style of play that will be the most beneficial to our team...Their shared focus on a team and organization-wide identity, system and philosophy is paramount.
Link to whole thing
I think this indicates their priorities in the hire were:
1) strong system/structure
2) Strong team identity
3) bedrock philosophy to support 1 & 2

It helps you understand why Trotz would be THE guy they woudl focus on, besides his history with the club. An interesting read.

This all makes perfect sense. But Trotz's system requires that his core players buy-in and lead the rest of the team. To me, the least likely guy on the team to play a structured, team oriented game is the one he needs most to do so. Pure goal scorers like Ovie are creative, free-wheeling, individual talents. There are exceptions like Datsyuk. I just don't see Ovechkin playing like Datsyuk. If Trotz can convince him it'll work, AND Ovie is disciplined enough to play within the system, look out. Just seems unlikely.

I'm not hoping Trotz fails. I'll root for the Caps in every game except for the two against the Preds. Vancouver would've been a much better fit for Trotz. Now that would've made it difficult to pull for Barry Trotz.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Can't wait to see Ovy get put in the doghouse and get 9 minutes on the 4th line for a game or two. I will laugh so hard if it happens.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
This all makes perfect sense. But Trotz's system requires that his core players buy-in and lead the rest of the team. To me, the least likely guy on the team to play a structured, team oriented game is the one he needs most to do so. Pure goal scorers like Ovie are creative, free-wheeling, individual talents. There are exceptions like Datsyuk. I just don't see Ovechkin playing like Datsyuk. If Trotz can convince him it'll work, AND Ovie is disciplined enough to play within the system, look out. Just seems unlikely.

I'm not hoping Trotz fails. I'll root for the Caps in every game except for the two against the Preds. Vancouver would've been a much better fit for Trotz. Now that would've made it difficult to pull for Barry Trotz.

I get why people feel like this, but..... I will just say - Jason Arnott. Best goal scoring season in nhl was when? He was made captain of a defensively responsible team and expected to buy-in and lead where?

I think sometimes folks miss it when we've definitely seen changes in the system and shifts in the philosophy. No, I don't think Trotz is gonna' play run-n-gun, but heck, when we had the horses in 06-07 we were 5th in g/g, and 8th 2 years ago - you don't put up those totals just mucking around playing D and hoping to win 2-1. Never been an offensive talent like OV on any of our teams; heck, we've hardly had a Backstrom.

If OV plays defense even as much as PK I reckon Barry be just fine and they'll do better than just co-exist.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I am interested to see backstrom in this system.

Ovy is a winger so far less responsibility.

NB can pull it off I believe.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
He said all the right words to Bezeau and company on HNIC Radio this afternoon. He wants to emphasize scoring, because he never had it like he did in Nashville. (BTW, I swear he was trying to drop "Nashville" into every other sentence during his interview.)

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
He said all the right words to Bezeau and company on HNIC Radio this afternoon. He wants to emphasize scoring, because he never had it like he did in Nashville. (BTW, I swear he was trying to drop "Nashville" into every other sentence during his interview.)

negative connotation ?

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
No, no negative connotations at all.

The man has been saying the word so much over the last 16 years, I can feel for him. I still catch myself saying things about my old job at Wales.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Trotz will be fine.
He's a pro and has dealt with all sorts of personalities over the years.

I think his biggest hurdle will be knowledge of teams in the eastern conference.
Best wishes to him.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Off topic to what you're currently discussing, but I'm curious how Trotz uses his defense. Someone like Shea Weber, did he score within the confines of Trotz system or was his points something he attained semi-outside the system and just being as good as he is?

And Ovi lived through Hunter's system, and even played as he was asked in it, I doubt Trotz can be worse then he was.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I don't think it will be a disaster, It will be mediocre at worst.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if there was a little bit of change on the roster, a bit of change in Trotz's style and a little bit of luck and the team ends up making a title run in the next season or two. Doesn't mean that Trotz would have ever won it here in Nashville, but it might very well happen in Washington. And if Laviolette comes in and wins it all here in Nashville it also doesn't mean that Trotz would have won it here, or that Lavi would or would not have won it somewhere else. These things are so dependent on a large number of things to fall into place.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Off topic to what you're currently discussing, but I'm curious how Trotz uses his defense. Someone like Shea Weber, did he score within the confines of Trotz system or was his points something he attained semi-outside the system and just being as good as he is?

And Ovi lived through Hunter's system, and even played as he was asked in it, I doubt Trotz can be worse then he was.
Weber has an godlike shot from the pointX Trotz didn't teach it to him. Trotz does like his defensemen to shoot though.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Weber has an godlike shot from the pointX Trotz didn't teach it to him. Trotz does like his defensemen to shoot though.

I was just curious if he allowed his defense-men to or not. Both Hunter and Oates were pretty staunch on the "play in this area and don't worry about the offense" which has kinda hurt Green. I've been internally debating, and now bringing it up in the Caps board, what Trotz could do for and with Green.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
doesn't he also expect them to play defense also? Green better than Delmore but not necessarily on d side

Yeah not playing defense will get your butt in hot water quick with Trotz. That said, if you have an opportunity to shoot, he expects you take it most of the time from the D spot.

As far as Ovi goes, I think it will be fine, at least for a bit. Trotz treats Vets a bit different than he does young guys. If you are a young guy and don't play D, it will get you sat/moved down in a hurry. Vets have always seemed to have a bit more room to wiggle with him, although playing no D at all will get you in trouble pretty quick as well.

I think the bigger question is less about Trotz and more about Ovi. I think if Ovi will listen to him he could turn him into more than just a great scorer, but rather a more well rounded player. It just really is going to come down to what he wants to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00