Confirmed with Link: Barry Trotz out as coach - Hired in Washington

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I think putting Legwand and Franson down as Trotz guys is too funny. No one spent more time in Trotz doghouse than Legwand. Poile had to almost force Franson into the line-up.

Legwand has been up and down the lineup, where ever Trotz needed to plug him in. I don't remember him being in the doghouse so much as Trotz really depending on him and calling him out. No benchings that I recall.

As far as Franson, Trotz understands his strengths and weaknesses better than anyone and would be able to put him in a situation for him to succeed. I would think Franson would appreciate that after he spent WAY more time in the doghouse in Toronto than he did under Trotz.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I think putting Legwand and Franson down as Trotz guys is too funny. No one spent more time in Trotz doghouse than Legwand. Poile had to almost force Franson into the line-up.

I was just gonna agree with this. I think Legwand would prefer someone different, and Franson is the most untrotz player on the list. Erat, after his experience in washington, might miss Trotz but probably still would prefer s different system

Ward, Fiddler, Smithson, Goc... those guys all prospered in Trotzs system.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think most of the players really liked Trotz and were loyal to him, and Im sure a lot of them would be happy if they were playing for him again, but I'm mainly talking about players who would do well in his system.

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
No way Erat wants to play for Trotz again. Evidently their parting was not amicable. Trotz publicly stated that he was disappointed in Erat and said he would leave it at that. Erat may have had some measure of success under Trotz. He was certainly a consistent 50 point player. But by the time he asked for a trade, their relationship had soured.

PerdFan

Oct 10, 2010
I was just gonna agree with this. I think Legwand would prefer someone different, and Franson is the most untrotz player on the list. Erat, after his experience in washington, might miss Trotz but probably still would prefer s different system

Ward, Fiddler, Smithson, Goc... those guys all prospered in Trotzs system.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think most of the players really liked Trotz and were loyal to him, and Im sure a lot of them would be happy if they were playing for him again, but I'm mainly talking about players who would do well in his system.

True forgot about Goc and Smithson. You're right they did prosper in his system. Where is Smitty, BTW?

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
David Legwand
Joel Ward
Marty Erat
Cody Franson

Erat left because Nashville was going younger and rebuilding and he was looking for a contender. Ward left because he was looking for a big payday Poile was not going to give him. Franson was traded as bait to get Toronto to pick up Matthew Lombardi's albatross of a bad contract. All these guys are Trotz guys.
Trotz is a players' coach as long as you are not a young developing forward. If he trusts you in your own end and you're a high character guy then Trotz will love you. Otherwise it's doghouse city and more times than not, Trotz loses the key.

I thought Legwand for sure. Put two and two together (he'd fit well as our Goc replacement at 3C spot).

Ward, that is awesome to hear. He played so well with Huberdeau at WC plus Panthers in need of RWers this summer/next summer when Ward is UFA

Erat was close to signing with Panthers couple summers ago if I'm not mistaken.

Good signs pointing towards a Trotz hire :)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Legwand has been up and down the lineup, where ever Trotz needed to plug him in. I don't remember him being in the doghouse so much as Trotz really depending on him and calling him out. No benchings that I recall.

As far as Franson, Trotz understands his strengths and weaknesses better than anyone and would be able to put him in a situation for him to succeed. I would think Franson would appreciate that after he spent WAY more time in the doghouse in Toronto than he did under Trotz.

No one was bashed and benched more than Legwand in the early years.

He did manage to get out eventually, but early on he was always there.

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Caps fan guys. Can someone give me a quick run down on trotz? A few plus and minuses ?

Thanks.

Pluses:
  • Maybe the best developer of defensemen in the game.
  • Assuming he comes with Mitch Korn (not sure on this), includes the best goalie coach in the league.
  • Great at bringing ragtag squad to the playoffs. At his best when his team is predicted to do poorly, typically (last few years were exceptions)
  • His scheme does an incredible job of getting defensemen involved offensively. I expect big things out of Mike Green.
Minuses
  • Awful at developing forwards. With the possible exception of Rads, didn't develop a top line forward during his entire tenure.
  • Rumor has it he tends to be tough on offensive players, leading to infighting (see. Radulov, AK, SK). I am very worried about him and Ovechkin co-existing.
  • Very bad track record in the playoffs. Never made it past round 2, even when we had a stacked roster (Peter Forsberg year we got destroyed in round 1)
  • Complex defensive system. I don't remember the exact quote, but when Cullen came here, he said Trotz's system was the "most complicated he's ever played under". I would expect an adjustment period for the first third of his first year.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Pluses:
  • Maybe the best developer of defensemen in the game.
  • Assuming he comes with Mitch Korn (not sure on this), includes the best goalie coach in the league.
  • Great at bringing ragtag squad to the playoffs. At his best when his team is predicted to do poorly, typically (last few years were exceptions)
  • His scheme does an incredible job of getting defensemen involved offensively. I expect big things out of Mike Green.
Minuses
  • Awful at developing forwards. With the possible exception of Rads, didn't develop a top line forward during his entire tenure.
  • Rumor has it he tends to be tough on offensive players, leading to infighting (see. Radulov, AK, SK). I am very worried about him and Ovechkin co-existing.
  • Very bad track record in the playoffs. Never made it past round 2, even when we had a stacked roster (Peter Forsberg year we got destroyed in round 1)
  • Complex defensive system. I don't remember the exact quote, but when Cullen came here, he said Trotz's system was the "most complicated he's ever played under". I would expect an adjustment period for the first third of his first year.

How did he develop Rads? I thought he was only here for a short period of time.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Caps fan guys. Can someone give me a quick run down on trotz? A few plus and minuses ?

Thanks.

Trotz is an extremely structured coach and is very conservative when it comes to style of play. He has rarely, if ever, had a star player like Ovechkin to work with, but he has generally gotten really good results relative to the talent he has had to work with in the regular season. His playoff record is decidedly more questionable, and he has a bad habit of adhering to cliché, gut feeling, and tradition in the face of more logical or pragmatic solutions (eg. sitting Radulov and AK for a second game in the Phoenix series, which completely screwed the team over, because they won game three without those two in the lineup). It is very difficult for young players to get playing time under Trotz, and he is completely lost as to developing skill players, but his system cultivates quality defensemen at every opportunity.

Trotz is a great guy, a good character to deal with, and people in Washington will like him on a personal level, but I don't know how guys who thrive in a wide-open style will react, particularly Ovi. It'd be interesting to watch, for sure.

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
It's official. Good luck to Barry in Washington. He's going to a team that is the exact opposite of the preds and will be interesting to see how he adjusts. He'll either be great for them or a total disaster.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Good luck to Trotz in Washington. Over/Under Ovi is on the team by the end of the trade deadline next year?

I think the real question is whether or not Trotz is still employed by the team at the end of the next season

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Crazy fit, but if Kovy can put up points in Jersey, I guess anything can happen. Good luck Trotzy

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
Just watched an introductory interview and... oh boy is this gonna be fun to watch. Nothing we don't already know about his philosophy. Wants his core players to buy in. When they buy in the rest of the team follows. He knows they can win by out scoring opponents. But wants to be able to win those close games with tough two-way play. Can't wait to see Ovie lead the Caps playing a smart, responsible two way game. Remember SK74 skating to the bench while his opponent scored a shorty unoppossed?? Now imagine your captain doing this on a regular basis. Trotz's head is gonna explode.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
If Ovechkin had no issues playing in Dale Hunter's system, he'll have no problems playing for Trotz. Sad that there seems to be a desire to see him fail though.

Last edited:

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
If Ovechkin had no issues playing in Dale Hunter's system, he'll have no problems playing for Trotz. Sad that there seems to be a desire to see him fail though.

In reading the posts, I'm not seeing this desire to fail. But you have to admit, this is a pretty radical change in Washington. Kind of like...Laviolette to Nashville?

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

Why is it sad? I'm not a Caps fan.

I pretty much only want one team to succeed. It's not the Caps.

It's not personal, but I'll always be loyal to the crest on the front of the jersey over the name on the back (or the guy in the suit on the bench).

To be honest, it's the east, and i'm pretty indifferent. But I don't think we have to all become Caps fans all of a sudden. What if he ended up in Minnesota?

Ovy will be fine - wings aren't as important as centers when it comes to defensive responsibility, and Ovy hasn't been as bad defensively in previous years as he was this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad