Barry Trotz is leaving Washington per Friedman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
It's a legit concern. Some assistant coaches simply do not have the managerial skills to be good head coaches. But the way the cards fell, there was no way they were going to give Trotz 5 yrs, they were going to give Reirden his shot. Hopefully he is a good motivator and learned some things from Trotz about team unity. Look at the fathers trip thing. Other teams have copied that, it's those little things that show the true Trotz character. I just hated that he always preferred vets over the young talent, but Trotz will always be the head coach that brought us a cup so I'll always love the guy for that.
Reirden had been blocked by the Capitals organization to interview for other coaching positions when they became available. Nick Kypreos reported that last summer he was in consideration for the head coaching positions for Arizona, Buffalo and Florida but Brian MacLellan wanted to keep Reirden in the organization and denied the requests from those teams. He was bumped up to an associate coach position this past season and he and assistant coach Blaine Forsythe were both given contract extensions in March thus creating some tension with the Trotz situation. All the Caps d-men speak highly of Reirden and Nate Schmidt has also just said that Reirden's ready for the next step.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not deflection. You seem to have an unhealthy interest in this. Most Caps fans aren't upset. Yet here you are spouting off insults at the org and fan base. If you're not being a sore loser than props to you. Just seems odd to me you would take such a confrontational stance.

I have no horse in this race, but most Caps fans aren't upset by this? Trotz is one of the best coaches in the league and is coming off a Cup win. I'd personally be annoyed my team didn't pony up to what he wanted.

But I'm a fan of a team who has Jeff Blashill as a coach, so I guess context probably is a factor.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I wonder if it's possible to overstate just how massive a PR blunder this is for Washington, particularly if they have a disappointing season.

Possible. I think the optics do look bad now. However, IMO, the post-cup win on-ice interviews from McLellan and Trotz led me to believe that his odds of returning were not good.

They let a huge piece of their puzzle (perhaps the most important piece) walk because they are just too cheap.

Huge piece of their puzzle? That's debatable. If Trotz was what you say he is, then 2015 and the 3-1 lead they had against NYR should've resulted in something more substantial.

Fans should be outraged.

That'd likely require a horrible 2018-19 from the Caps, coupled with a superlative 2018-19 from whichever team hires Trotz.

What kind of message does this send to anybody else looking to join the coaching and front office staff. As soon as you're successful, we'll let you go and hire someone with far less experience and a much less impressive resume to save a few bucks.

Not sure if Trotz's resume prior to this season was all that great. He'd never made it past round 2 ever, but he is a cup-winning coach now and that's what matters for the moment. As to what message it sends- that is debatable. Washington kind of painted itself in a corner in the way it dealt with Reirden and Maclellan's statement about this last season likely being WSH's last year in the contention window (or something to that nature). Mac/WSH made his bed and they have to now lie in it and hope for the best.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
This is so weird. Caps fans are chilling. Calm.

Pens and TB fans are freaking out for um...some reason. I’m not quite sure. I guess that’s the curse of winning the Cup. Everybody can’t wait to get the jokes off.

Personally, i love it. It means we really made it. Hate is a lot more fun when you’ve won.

Thank you Barry. You proved me wrong. Hope you get paid something crazy. You deserve it.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
This is so weird. Caps fans are chilling. Calm.

Pens and TB fans are freaking out for um...some reason.

Indeed they tell us we should be angry. But we know the situation far better than they do, and we are not angry. Maybe, just maybe, we will decide if we ought to be angry.

Reactions: Drakon

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Topic: Trotz and Caps

Also not topic: Not contributing anything meaningful to the discussion whilst resorting to poo-flinging (while you're equally caked in your own fecal matter).

Get it?

Hilarious. Opinions are like....YOU! Everybody has one.

I think we've taken this as far as we can. Move on. Thanks.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
Possible. I think the optics do look bad now. However, IMO, the post-cup win on-ice interviews from McLellan and Trotz led me to believe that his odds of returning were not good.

Huge piece of their puzzle? That's debatable. If Trotz was what you say he is, then 2015 and the 3-1 lead they had against NYR should've resulted in something more substantial.

That'd likely require a horrible 2018-19 from the Caps, coupled with a superlative 2018-19 from whichever team hires Trotz.

Not sure if Trotz's resume prior to this season was all that great. He'd never made it past round 2 ever, but he is a cup-winning coach now and that's what matters for the moment. As to what message it sends- that is debatable. Washington kind of painted itself in a corner in the way it dealt with Reirden and Maclellan's statement about this last season likely being WSH's last year in the contention window (or something to that nature). Mac/WSH made his bed and they have to now lie in it and hope for the best.

You’re replies assume the Caps were built correctly in years past, which they weren’t.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
You’re replies assume the Caps were built correctly in years past, which they weren’t.

And I'd say that your argument is made in retrospect. Was this squad really built correctly? No one gave this team a chance at the start of the season with the players they didn't re-sign- some experts even had them missing the playoffs. Heck, even the GM did not exude a lot of confidence. If this team got bumped off by TB in game 6, losing in the same manner they did in 2003, people are likely lumping this squad amongst those Capitals squads that failed previously.

Reactions: Drakon

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Pre Trotz absolutely they were very flawed rosters. The last 3 seasons the rosters were the best in Capitals history. Care to point out how the McPhee era teams were better than the BMac era teams?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Well-liked. What is this, high school. Is he going to run for student council prez?

Caps fans reaching for anything right now. Freaking awesome. Hey, you got your cup. Now get to the back of the line.

Not a Caps fan.

I don't know how to explain this, but its important for players to like their coach. They aren't going to war with a guy they hate.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Not a Caps fan.

I don't know how to explain this, but its important for players to like their coach. They aren't going to war with a guy they hate.

Scotty Bowman begs to differ.

Players should respect their coach. They definitely don't have to like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad