Barry Trotz - Hall of Fame?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Currently 5th all-time in career wins with 762. Will pass Al Arbour for 4th if he returns next year
56.4% career points%, tied with Al Arbour.
19 seasons with only two franchises. 11 trips to the playoffs.
Grew the hockey culture in Nashville as their first ever head coach of an expansion franchise. Helped them become legitimate.
Took a Washington team to a destination they had failed to reach for the entire generation of that team, and decades before that as well.
Won the Calder Cup with the 1994 Portland Pirates
Three division titles.
Two President's Trophies
One Jack Adams Award
One Stanley Cup

Is Barry Trotz destined for the Hall of Fame?

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I really don't know but I will say this: He was friggin mastermind in these playoffs. He had an answer for everything.
Ya but never passed round 2 before. Winning is winning though. And loss on scf is still loss. But 2 decades with no round 2 is why he was going to be fired

Reactions: Phu

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Currently 5th all-time in career wins with 762. Will pass Al Arbour for 4th if he returns next year
56.4% career points%, tied with Al Arbour.
19 seasons with only two franchises. 11 trips to the playoffs.
Grew the hockey culture in Nashville as their first ever head coach of an expansion franchise. Helped them become legitimate.
Took a Washington team to a destination they had failed to reach for the entire generation of that team, and decades before that as well.
Won the Calder Cup with the 1994 Portland Pirates
Three division titles.
Two President's Trophies
One Jack Adams Award
One Stanley Cup

Is Barry Trotz destined for the Hall of Fame?
He's about the only guy on the Caps I like, but I don't know... if you're a coach, I think you need more Stanley Cup appearances on your resume (or at least you should). However, the Barry Trotz story isn't over yet. I hope he gets to the Hall one day.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I’m not one to limit my HoF criteria to SCF appearances. As in the OP, he played a role in growing hockey in Nashville, and he didn’t exactly have many star studded or deep teams. At the very least Nashville will always remember him, and if that franchise stays relevant then that + his solid record should be enough.

Considering the talent or lack thereof he had to work with in Nashville, I’d say he did well after taking an expansion team. He had longevity you don’t see often as well; has yet to really flame out with a team and lose the room.

**Also his time in Washington shouldn’t be remembered as a pretty good coach inheriting a great team which boosted his stats... he inherited a team with deep running problems and an identity crisis, and gave them an identity and their first taste of stability in years with, leading to their first Stanley Cup. That’s noteworthy for more than just the Cup and his teams great W/L records. He’ll always be remembered here, in a once championship starved city, even if he leaves this summer. i.e. famous

Trotz also had a lot of input on the player decisions GMBM made since his first year. They worked together to build the depth Washington never had previously.

Last edited:

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yes,
It's hard not to see him pass Hitchcock and Arbour to move in to #3 wins all-time.

His accomplishments already surpass Pat Burns, who is in.
Hitchcock has the exact same resume, and is a shoe-in.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Sure, why not? He has an impressive resume.

As a Caps fan I'm a little conflicted. He looked thoroughly out coached in the playoffs several times before this year, but he finally took us to the promised land this year with a defensive scheme that cut down on opposition speed through the neutral zone, and an attack that focused on cross-crease passes to get goalies out of position.

I'm thrilled he finally got the Caps over the hump, but I'm a little skeptical of his methods since the results were so poor in the past.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Not yet but he’ll be around for a while longer and likely puts himself over the top. But not yet.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Trotz was getting in no matter what, as a builder at least. Hockey in Nashville wouldn't even exist without him. Going to the playoffs so many times, winning two President's Trophies, one Jack Adams, the 5th most game of all time and the Stanley Cup make him a HOF coach easily.

Reactions: Voight and cptjeff

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He's about the only guy on the Caps I like, but I don't know... if you're a coach, I think you need more Stanley Cup appearances on your resume (or at least you should). However, the Barry Trotz story isn't over yet. I hope he gets to the Hall one day.

First thing to consider is the ridiculous lenth of his tenure in Nashville and what kind of coach he has to be in order to make the happen. They had some decent teams there but I don't remember a bunch of legit cup contenders.

As for his Caps time. In his first season he took a team expected to miss the playoffs and had the president's trophy rangers 2 minutes from elimination. He then had 2 president's trophy teams. He then took a team many expected to miss the playoffs and won a cup with it.

Top 5 all time in wins means hall of fame to me

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
He had some pretty darn good rosters at various points over the years. The 2007 Predators had a point/game Peter Forsberg playing on the third line!
He was only there for 17 games and he wasn't a PPG player while he as there, he also was in the twilight of his career.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He was only there for 17 games and he wasn't a PPG player while he as there, he also was in the twilight of his career.
He had 15 points in 17 games with Nashville, so just shy of point/game. He was effective that season, and only 33 years old (it's easy to forget how early he retired due to his ankle issues).
My point there was demonstrating how stacked that team was in general, that even when they acquire a near-PPG player, he was only on the third line. The 2007 Preds were one of the best teams in the league on paper. Seven players with 50+ points, and that's not counting Forsberg, a 22G Scott Hartnell, or a young Alex Radulov. A defense featuring Kimmo Timonen, Shea Weber, Ryan Suter, Dan Hamhuis, and Marek Zidlicky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad