Injury Report: Barrie x-rays come back negative says coach Keefe

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Funny seeing all the NHL media guys pushing for Sandin to get recalled again, it's like Liljegren doesn't exist anymore.

I know they don't have time to watch the AHL that much but it will be funny to see their reactions if Lily gets called up AND plays well. I don't think it would shock anybody here that's watched his development over the past year but he's ahead of Sandin at this point.

Sandin also has one more game until that first year of the ELC burns, if we're going to do it I would prefer not to use it on a mid-week game in December.

4 more actually

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
His cap hit is low enough that a contender could see him being a good addition. Then you’d charge them extra for that.

How would his cap relief work if he was on LTIR?
Would we get his full amount? $2.75 we pay and the $2.75 Avs retain??

And if he was traded would we only get a relief of $2.75??

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Please don’t bash posters. You’re welcome to bash the opinion! :nod:

fact of the matter is, Barrie has been our worst dman this season and our team is better off with him off the roster.

Under Keefe, can you prove that he's been our worst Dman?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

fact of the matter is, Barrie has been our worst dman this season and our team is better off with him off the roster.
Dude that is not a fact it's an opinion. I did not enjoy Barrie under Babcock either and I'll admit he has not been a great acquisition overall so far. Still worst defender on the team seems an exaggeration.

Kevin gravel, marincin, unpolished sandin, ceci on the top pair and for most of the season a sheltered holl were less impactful than Barrie.

Barrie has not lived up to expectations that is clear. He went from playing like a number 5 defender with Babcock to a number 3 defender with Barrie. I think we have to give him a birth more time to play under keefe. His point totals are slowly rising and he does seem to get a lot of good chances that he has not been able to finish so far. Yesterday he played a solid game. Was not on the ice for any goals against, transitioned the puck well and made smart plays on the boards getting the puck out.

Sadly this season will be a disapointment if we are looking to analyze each players worth relative to the expectations they had coming into the season(based off of media hype, contracts, or just fans being hopeful). If we are looking at Barrie from the POV of a player who should have been able to put 65+ points here on a offensively gifted leafs team Ya he has failed to do his job. But we ca say that about every player (34, 16, 88, 91, 44 etc). We gotta watch on a game to game basis with this group of players. Need to see which players levels of effort and production show steady improvements under keefe and potentially identify them as pieces that may be worth keeping for next year. Players who fail to step up under keefe and are noticably worse since the coaching change are not long term fits( dont see how it can be argued Barrie got worse under keefe, from every game I've watched hes been our 3rd/4th best defender under keefe).

Still 48 games to go on the year, we have time and so do these group of players. Have some confidence in these guys atleast the ones who have not wronged the team by fighting tooth and nail for every $. Barrie deserves fan support not for justifying the kadri trade or whatever but simply because he has a history of top end/elite play and was willing to bare the misuse under Babcock without a complaint. I dont want to see us deal him for next to nothing and he bounces back to himself on the new team.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Under Keefe, can you prove that he's been our worst Dman?

1) The sample is on the smaller side
2) Since Keefe, he is still our worst 5v5 dman... not that I’m advocating +/- is a great stat on its own, but it is not bad when comparing teammates... and Barrie is still our worst dman in that department...

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Its no more ridiculous than this one. Barrie has easily been our worst dman this season...
That’s a spicy meatball....
he really hasn’t. Since the coaching change he’s been quite good. Babcock was (shockingly)mis-using Barrie, much like he was the majority of the lineup.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
That’s a spicy meatball....
he really hasn’t. Since the coaching change he’s been quite good. Babcock was (shockingly)mis-using Barrie, much like he was the majority of the lineup.

I don’t agree with this assessment. Even with Keefe and in an extremely sheltered role, Barrie is a liability whenever he is on the ice.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

If he was traded we'd only get relief of what we're paying obviously, you can't subtract something you don't have. LTIR we'd get the 2.75 relief, I'm pretty sure the Avs wouldn't. Unlike in a buyout however the team retaining has the same split of the buyout cost. So you could retain for 2 years, have the team you traded the guy to buy him out and now you're on the hook for 4(at a lesser rate obviously)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

I would assume the latter. But that also means that whatever team is picking up Barrie only assumes a small cap hit. The theory is more teams would be able to put together a move, which could drive up his value and net us a good return.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Change my mind, then.
What would change your mind?

Among Leaf defensemen, 5v5 since Keefe, Barrie is:

3rd in CA
3rd in CF%
2nd in FA
3rd in FF%
1st in SA
3rd in SF%
3rd in GA
3rd in GF%
1st in xGA
2nd in xGF%
1st in SCA
1st in SCF%
2nd in HDCA
2nd in HDCF%
1st in HDGA
1st in HDGF%
1st in goals
2nd in G/60
1st in points
1st in primary points
1st in P/60
2nd in shots
Has taken zero penalties

I'm like honestly running out of things to post, and I haven't found anything below 3rd best on the team.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

3rd in CA
3rd in CF%
2nd in FA
3rd in FF%
1st in SA
3rd in SF%
3rd in GA
3rd in GF%
1st in xGA
2nd in xGF%
1st in SCA
1st in SCF%
2nd in HDCA
2nd in HDCF%
1st in HDGA
1st in HDGF%
1st in goals
2nd in G/60
1st in points
1st in primary points
1st in P/60
2nd in shots
Has taken zero penalties

I'm like honestly running out of things to post, and I haven't found anything below 3rd best on the team.
Our of curiousity who is generally the lowest in this categories? Anyone consistently falling in the 5/6 range?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
A 1 for 1 swap with another RD would make sense.

Hamonic?

Miller from Sabres would be who I would target. At his price he should garner a 1st regardless of him having a bad start to the season. He is a better player than he has showed and he has been better under Keefe.

Last edited:

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando

3rd in CA
3rd in CF%
2nd in FA
3rd in FF%
1st in SA
3rd in SF%
3rd in GA
3rd in GF%
1st in xGA
2nd in xGF%
1st in SCA
1st in SCF%
2nd in HDCA
2nd in HDCF%
1st in HDGA
1st in HDGF%
1st in goals
2nd in G/60
1st in points
1st in primary points
1st in P/60
2nd in shots
Has taken zero penalties

Barrie's our second best D-man IMO. Best is Dermott.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Fair enough. I feel like we just but heads in here every now and again :p

I would like to nominate Ceci as the worst D-men on the team. He has looked a little better now in the reduced role but overall not great.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

3rd in CA
3rd in CF%
2nd in FA
3rd in FF%
1st in SA
3rd in SF%
3rd in GA
3rd in GF%
1st in xGA
2nd in xGF%
1st in SCA
1st in SCF%
2nd in HDCA
2nd in HDCF%
1st in HDGA
1st in HDGF%
1st in goals
2nd in G/60
1st in points
1st in primary points
1st in P/60
2nd in shots
Has taken zero penalties

It’s hilarious, isn’t it,

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Funny seeing all the NHL media guys pushing for Sandin to get recalled again, it's like Liljegren doesn't exist anymore.

I know they don't have time to watch the AHL that much but it will be funny to see their reactions if Lily gets called up AND plays well. I don't think it would shock anybody here that's watched his development over the past year but he's ahead of Sandin at this point.

Sandin also has one more game until that first year of the ELC burns, if we're going to do it I would prefer not to use it on a mid-week game in December.

Bryan Hayes called liljegren a bust just last week. These idiots in the media don’t watch the AHL but they’ll be first to tell you so and so is a bust.

craig “Kapanen isn’t an nhl player” button is another one.

they are never called out and go then go on to talk about the player as if they knew they’d be nhlers some day

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
In all seriousness, the organization should be making a determination right now if he’s worth resigning. If not, then the Kadri trade becomes a net negative, one year of Barrie and Kerfoot, is a bad return. If you’re not resigning him, then trade him and bring one of the kids up you’re going to need next year anyways. Might be able to get a prospect or a 2nd rounder minimum, maximize the asset.

Pending UfA that has done nothing this year, and you think he’ll get a second rounder minimum ? You’re delusional.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Our of curiousity who is generally the lowest in this categories? Anyone consistently falling in the 5/6 range?
Ceci is pretty consistently falling pretty low over that time, and his stats have been dropping across the board since the beginning of the year.

It's kinda funny, because at the beginning of the season, Ceci was doing alright, and people were blasting him and blaming him for everything. Now, he's doing worse in a more sheltered role, and people don't seem to care.

The likely reason people don't care? He has the highest on ice save percentage since Keefe, which just goes to show how much perceptions are shaped by the end result, and not what the players are actually doing.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Under Keefe, @ ES

Rielly: 20:27, +0.0zonediff, 51.8cf%, 51.6xgf%
Ceci: 18:17, +0.9zonediff, 47.7cf%, 48.6xgf%

Muzzin: 18:19, -6.6zonediff, 60.4cf%, 59.9xgf%
Holl: 16:56, -4.9zonediff, 58.9cf%, 57.2xgf%

Barrie: 17:48, +7.4zonediff, 55.8cf%, 59.2xgf%
Dermott 15:20, +8.9zonediff, 53.8cf%, 55.6xgf%

That Muzzin-Holl pair has been beastly, in very tough usage.

The only guy who has struggled under Keefe is Ceci, though he has looked passable since mov9ng down to the bottom pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00