Barrie Colts 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
Would have to think that after getting another start in Flint today, Maksim Zhukov has officially won the starting role and hopefully we see a 2 goalie rotation and not 3. I think if Barrie can find the right fit they Will be trading Kai Edmonds to free up some of the goalie roster spots on the team.
Not sure Zhukov is the answer. For an NHL drafted goalie I expected alot more. he seems to really struggle with his rebound control. He sits 17th in goalie stats, for a nhl drafted goalie not good. Since he is not signed yet with Vegas, so this is a big year for him. Hope he can turn things around

Last edited:

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Not sure Zhukov is the answer. For an NHL drafted goalie I expected alot more. he seems to really struggle with his rebound control. He sits 17th in goalie stats, for a nhl drafted goalie not good. Since he is not signed yet with Vegas, so this is a big year for him. Hope he can turn things around

I tend to agree. While I'm not a fan of the 3 goalie rotation at all, I am most confident in Greaves in net at the moment.

Reactions: Colts 5656

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I tend to agree. While I'm not a fan of the 3 goalie rotation at all, I am most confident in Greaves in net at the moment.
Im also on the same page. Greaves has really shown signs that he can be a number 1 in this league. But I do think Zhukov could have the edge over him, but thats just MOP.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
With the Colts 6-4 win today in Flint, it puts them past Niagara in their division in points.

styleeano

Aug 30, 2017
Jaden Peca with 2 goals today which is also yet another sign of depth scoring starting to come in. Ben Hawerchuk continuing to impress with another 2 goals in todays game against Flint, look to see him reach the 20 goal plateau this season if healthy.
I am not sold on Hawerchuk he has improved but he is a second line player at best, not a first liner like his father seems to think, if you gave willms, brown or peca that opportunity to play that those type of minutes you would see all of them improve immensely, don't be surprised to see two of the three get traded.
imo willms is a better player than what we are seeing,unless he is hurt, he seems to be playing like he wants out.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I am not sold on Hawerchuk he has improved but he is a second line player at best, not a first liner like his father seems to think, if you gave willms, brown or peca that opportunity to play that those type of minutes you would see all of them improve immensely, don't be surprised to see two of the three get traded.
imo willms is a better player than what we are seeing,unless he is hurt, he seems to be playing like he wants out.
Ben is scoring right now and therefore he is getting the opportunity to play top line minutes, where as Wilms and Peca aren't scoring right now so they aren't getting the minutes. I don't think you will see any of those players get traded as Barrie has built this team from the draft and therefore players like Wilms and Peca are both coming off very strong seasons last year and are looking to have another year of success.

Players that are on my list to be traded or moved somewhere is Edmonds, Hadfield/Hill. Edmonds is in the same type of position Christian Propp was a couple years back where he is a starter in the OHL but just isn't going to get that job on this colts team. You will most likely see Edmonds being traded sooner or later to teams needing a starting goalie.

Where as Victor Hadfield and Mathew Hill on the other hand you are most likely going to see one of the two either get traded to another team for picks or get released by the team. As we have had in previous discussions Hadfields was a former number 1 overall pick but just hasn't been able to find his defensive stride in the OHL.
Hill was a C ranking for the NHL early season rankings who is a good player, but just seems to not find a spot on the highly stacked D spots on this team.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
On the rookie side of things Riley Piercy and Tyson Foerster continue to impress in their rookie seasons. Piercy with 1 goal 5 points and Foerster with 1 goal 5 points as well. Would like to see maybe the 2 move up from the fourth line and get some more minutes on the this or even second line and see how they do.
Another rookie in Connor LePage has only played in 1 regular season game so far. Gotta feel for the kid as he has seen little to non OHL action. Not too sure what the team plans on doing with him and his development.
Peter Fleming continues to impress as well with 2 goals 3 points on the year. He does look very comfortable out there and continues to improve each and every game.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Ben is scoring right now and therefore he is getting the opportunity to play top line minutes, where as Wilms and Peca aren't scoring right now so they aren't getting the minutes.
Benny is getting top line minutes because he plays for his father's team. He likely wouldn't even still be in the league if it weren't for that fact. For years Ben has been a source of poor play, bad penalties and distention in the room; the nepotism shown is the #1 reason for players requesting trades out of Barrie. 5 recent trades were requests to leave and there are a few players still wanting out.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Edmonds is in the same type of position Christian Propp was a couple years back where he is a starter in the OHL but just isn't going to get that job on this colts team.
I hope for Kia's sake he can get out of Barrie but not sure who is in the market for goalies. Barrie is one of the worst for developing goalies; I know Hawerchuk thinks he is some type of goalie savant but they usually just luck into goalies as opposed to draft and develop. The most notable exception is Blackwood but if you look deeper you can even see the back story there.
They are only one of a couple teams that historically keep 3 goalies in limbo the whole season which stunts development.

Reactions: hauler

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Yikes. Only would colts fans get mad about a guy who's top 10 in the league in goals. It's Ben's final year and he's played well. It's gone about as well as you can hope. As for the 3 goalie thing, to say the Colts historically have kept 3 all year a stretch. I can think of twice in like 10 years they have done this. Dalton McGrath in 2009-2010 which was in the Marty Williamson era, and 2016-17 when all 3 goalies couldn't stop a beach ball. All the other times one of the goalies was moved around this time, which I expect will happen this time as well. But first it would be nice to see likely Zhukov play consistently well before trading our goalie with the most OHL experience.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Benny is getting top line minutes because he plays for his father's team. He likely wouldn't even still be in the league if it weren't for that fact. For years Ben has been a source of poor play, bad penalties and distention in the room; the nepotism shown is the #1 reason for players requesting trades out of Barrie. 5 recent trades were requests to leave and there are a few players still wanting out.
Not because he plays for his fathers team. Ben got the chance to play top line minutes this season and is so far proving people like you wrong.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Question for Colts fans: I realize that Greaves has only played one home game so far but is it true that during a lull in that game young Hawerchuk skated over to the young goalie to give him some encouragement and the arena DJ played....wait for it...
B...B...Bennie and the Jet?

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Not because he plays for his fathers team. Ben got the chance to play top line minutes this season and is so far proving people like you wrong.
Hey I appreciate your opinion but the reality of it is Ben is on 1st line because of his father and is benefiting from playing with chiodo and suzuki.
Think about, 5th year player with 240+ games with a wopping 100 pts and -33. Oh he has battled, worked hard and developed into the deserving 1st line scorer he is.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Hey I appreciate your opinion but the reality of it is Ben is on 1st line because of his father and is benefiting from playing with chiodo and suzuki.
Think about, 5th year player with 240+ games with a wopping 100 pts and -33. Oh he has battled, worked hard and developed into the deserving 1st line scorer he is.
Not once did I ever talk about any other season he has had, I was just going off of the topic that he is having a very good year.
In saying that former Colt Tyson Fawcett and his dad have relations with Ben and Dale. At the time Tysons dad was coaching a AAA team in the GTHL and Ben was playing AA at the time.
The deal was that if Tyson could play on the colts, he would let Ben make his AAA team.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I have a lot of connections with many Colts players, and it allows me to be able to give you guys some facts that you guys "media" wouldn't usually seem to know that they existed.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
I have a lot of connections with many Colts players, and it allows me to be able to give you guys some facts that you guys "media" wouldn't usually seem to know that they existed.
Just like the Heitzner deal, none of you guys thought it was true when I said two days before the trade that he was traded, but look he did get traded.

outforarip

Oct 6, 2018
Maybe this is Hawerchucks break out year lol. I am new to this thread but all I have read is this guy is a monster in the dressing room(Ben), the organization has lost key players because of him and he is untouchable because of his father. Sad really in the top development League that this type of scenerio excists.
No one can dispute the incredible success that Dale had in the National League or the grace at which played he the game but it's wild that it is permitted to have a father son situation like this in a high level league like the OHL.
Players careers are on the line and this seems silly to me.
It is impossible when pro careers are on the line for fathers not to do the best they can to showcase their son.
As parents thats what we do, advocate for our kids, it is a natural instinct of loving our kids.

Just me 2 cents in what I have read

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Maybe this is Hawerchucks break out year lol. I am new to this thread but all I have read is this guy is a monster in the dressing room(Ben), the organization has lost key players because of him and he is untouchable because of his father. Sad really in the top development League that this type of scenerio excists.
No one can dispute the incredible success that Dale had in the National League or the grace at which played he the game but it's wild that it is permitted to have a father son situation like this in a high level league like the OHL.
It is impossible when pro careers are on the line for fathers not to do the best they can to showcase their son.
As parents thats what we do, advocate for our kids, it is a natural instinct of loving our kids.

Totally agree with you. Believe it or not the OHL has a tremendous amount of politics involved and it is really sad because some players loose out on having the opportunity to further their hockey careers.

On another note you say Ben is a 'monster' in the room, do you know any examples that have occurred as to why he is considered not a team player?

styleeano

Aug 30, 2017
Ben is scoring right now and therefore he is getting the opportunity to play top line minutes, where as Wilms and Peca aren't scoring right now so they aren't getting the minutes. I don't think you will see any of those players get traded as Barrie has built this team from the draft and therefore players like Wilms and Peca are both coming off very strong seasons last year and are looking to have another year of success.

Players that are on my list to be traded or moved somewhere is Edmonds, Hadfield/Hill. Edmonds is in the same type of position Christian Propp was a couple years back where he is a starter in the OHL but just isn't going to get that job on this colts team. You will most likely see Edmonds being traded sooner or later to teams needing a starting goalie.

Where as Victor Hadfield and Mathew Hill on the other hand you are most likely going to see one of the two either get traded to another team for picks or get released by the team. As we have had in previous discussions Hadfields was a former number 1 overall pick but just hasn't been able to find his defensive stride in the OHL.
Hill was a C ranking for the NHL early season rankings who is a good player, but just seems to not find a spot on the highly stacked D spots on this team.
so you feel ben is better than both peca and wilms ? the numbers dont say so

styleeano

Aug 30, 2017

This is an interesting point and i agree if it was my child i would want them to do great but i just don't believe a player should be allowed to play on the same team as there parents it creates a bad work environment,. imo i feel wilms is a better player than ben and he should be playing first line minutes i think peca has showed, at times he could be a first liner but we will never know.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Don't think anyone disagrees that having a father coaching his son is ideal. Will also mention that Ben isn't taking any ice time away from Willms. If Willms wants first line minutes he will have to outplay Suzuki for it as they're centers. I don't see that happening any time soon. As for Peca, I had him penciled onto the top line before camp even started. Unfortunately he hasn't played well enough to deserve it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad