Barrie Colts 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
While it was only a win against Kingston, it's a positive headed into next week. Depth still needs to start scoring, but there's lots to like about how they've played so far. Nice to see Foerster get his first OHL goal. Willms is a 27 goal man and Peca had 15. There's no reason to doubt they'll start scoring soon enough.
We gave up 40 shots to Kingston, they could be one of the worse teams in the O this year. I think we better tighten up in this area as well.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I have felt the same about him. However, to say he was the best midget player out there is just not accurate in my opinion. There was a lot of marketing decisions in using the name with the first overall pick. He had a good story going from A hockey to OHL in a few years, but I agree, he looks like a deer in the headlights when he plays.
It’s time to pull the chute.

That’s bs. There were bigger names in that draft if they get wanted to got hit route. a lot of dads use that narrative to justify why jr didnt get drafted a second time around

hauler

Feb 26, 2018
That’s bs. There were bigger names in that draft if they get wanted to got hit route. a lot of dads use that narrative to justify why jr didnt get drafted a second time around
Bigger names? Only 2 first rounders from that midget draft have played an OHL game.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Bigger names? Only 2 first rounders from that midget draft have played an OHL game.

hes claiming that the kid was only drafted based off his last name. a few Windsor area parent said the same thing but it makes no sense. if last name was the reason for drafting him, there was a much more famous former NHL player with barrie connections in Midget at that time, they would have taken him if it was about ‘name’.

i know first hand at least one team that wanted to draft him that year, nothing to do with the last name, more to do with the lack of availability of talent

your 100 percent correct, there’s only 2 first round guys who played, so despite his struggles Hatfield is still better then almost all others drafted. it’s not the kids fault that the midget draft is a horrible idea because of a lack of talent or ability in midget hockey.

Last edited:

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
Not saying that the the only reason. We all know hockey has politics. The connections to brass on both Hamilton and Barrie helped him.
I also don't think it is his fault getting drafted, how could it be? I do know he did not make AAA in his home centre (then did not make AA or the first A team that year either). If you know Oakville, there are reasons for that!! He played 2nd team A, then family used connections to get to Hamilton AAA the next year. It happens all the time. I think there were 5 Bulldogs drafted that year, 5 Niagara players too. It made the draft a sham. There was a common connection in Hamilton to all those picks. The boy is a fine skater, but to say he was the best player available is just not accurate. He wasn't even the best D on his team (didn't get the team award for it...so there must be something to that). There were connections to Barrie and Hamilton and the family that helped, but name was not the only reason. That's life. He's making the best of it, but I still do not think he belongs.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Not saying that the the only reason. We all know hockey has politics. The connections to brass on both Hamilton and Barrie helped him.
I also don't think it is his fault getting drafted, how could it be? I do know he did not make AAA in his home centre (then did not make AA or the first A team that year either). If you know Oakville, there are reasons for that!! He played 2nd team A, then family used connections to get to Hamilton AAA the next year. It happens all the time. I think there were 5 Bulldogs drafted that year, 5 Niagara players too. It made the draft a sham. There was a common connection in Hamilton to all those picks. The boy is a fine skater, but to say he was the best player available is just not accurate. He wasn't even the best D on his team (didn't get the team award for it...so there must be something to that). There were connections to Barrie and Hamilton and the family that helped, but name was not the only reason. That's life. He's making the best of it, but I still do not think he belongs.

Your previous post suggested that name was the deciding factor, again, there were better ‘names’ out there if that was the determining factor, better names with Barrie connections. all the stuff you mention is parent drama, who won the team mvp, who had more points, who played aaa longer they have nothing to do with scouting. i won team mvp my year if aaa, there were 3/4 better players that got drafted ahead of me, team mvp my draft year, it’s worth zero to ohl scouts. you look at a kid and say ‘my kid played more aaa then him, my kids better’, scouts look at it and say ‘damn, he’s only played one year of aaa? What happens when he gets more exposure to better coaching’.

your also suggesting that the Barrie colts, who have zero love for the branch lead ohl due to many issues (Barrie fans can add to that better then me), did branch a favour and picked a kid with the best marketing name. Given their history why on earth would barrie do branch a favour? I’m guessing you weren’t aware of that history before making that statement, otherwise it wouldn’t have been made. plus, he wasn’t even the best marketing name.

if there were better players available, they would have been taken and signed. you can say ‘they had to sign him he went 1st’, but Sudbury cut the 1st overall pick this year, so that’s a false narrative. the ohl is a cutthroat business, if there’s a better player available, there going to take him.

end of the day more educated hockey guys then you or me thought enough of the kid to draft him. had he not gone 1 I know one team that wanted him and thought he could play. those guys have built teams with a pretty good resume, certainty better then you or I. your more then within your rights to think the kid wasn’t the best option, but the fact that no other players have really done better from the available talent suggests he wasn’t. he’s still one of the best kids drafted out of that group that was available.

OU812

Sep 11, 2017
One of the best avail, is different than best available #1. Much of what you say is correct and I agree.

IMHO Emmett Serentis on Sudbury was and still is far better d from that draft. He was one reason why Hadfield didn’t make AAA in Oakville. He IMHO should have gone 1st (alibiet 7th is nothing to sneeze at)
I get how opinions can be blured but as a long time Colts fan and season ticket holder, I am entitled to my opinion

Lake Simcoe Travels

Oct 23, 2017
Feels like there is quite a few players underperforming right now. Peca, Willms, Bignell are all better than they've played so far. I've continued to like how Rhodes has played. Perhaps time to move him up the depth chart. Agree regarding Hadfield as well. Shouldn't be in the league. Should also add that I get the Hawerchuk complaints, but he hasn't been the problem this year this far. Up to 4 goals in 6 games.

Lastly, it looks like Magwood still hasn't played for Milwaukee after being a scratch again last night. Just send him back...
Rhodes is playing well and should be moved up...

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
One of the best avail, is different than best available #1. Much of what you say is correct and I agree.

IMHO Emmett Serentis on Sudbury was and still is far better d from that draft. He was one reason why Hadfield didn’t make AAA in Oakville. He IMHO should have gone 1st (alibiet 7th is nothing to sneeze at)
I get how opinions can be blured but as a long time Colts fan and season ticket holder, I am entitled to my opinion

sorry if your a barrie season ticket holder why would you think barrie would want to do the league a pr favour? also, how could you know all the ‘politics’ and ‘drama’ regarding hatfield, oakville and hamilton. how could you know who won defenceman of the team on a random midget team?
how could you know that serentsis was better before the draft? something doesnt seem right, season ticket holders don’t know these things..

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
We gave up 40 shots to Kingston, they could be one of the worse teams in the O this year. I think we better tighten up in this area as well.

Robertson did have 14 of those shots for Kingston. Saying that, yea 40 isn't ideal but hasn't been a trend all season so far I'd say.

outforarip

Oct 6, 2018
What about giving the young guys a shot at more minutes to see what they can contribute? Forester and Piercey are both plus 3 and have at least the equivalent or better then those players in the mid pack. Forester 3 points Piercey 2. Both with very limited ice? Maybe they need a bit more time in the league to get into the swing of the speed but they seem to be creating some offense. Just a thought.

Reactions: Colts 5656

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Just so you know he didn't get cut from AAA he moved down to A to go play with all pf his friends from school. Vic is a personal friend of mine.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
What about giving the young guys a shot at more minutes to see what they can contribute? Forester and Piercey are both plus 3 and have at least the equivalent or better then those players in the mid pack. Forester 3 points Piercey 2. Both with very limited ice? Maybe they need a bit more time in the league to get into the swing of the speed but they seem to be creating some offense. Just a thought.
Each and every game they are both looking much more comfortable out there, and you can certainly see signs of offence coming their way as they edge into the league in their rookie years.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Big weekend ahead for the Colts. I'd like to see them win 2 of 3 and get some more secondary scoring. Also, looking at the highlights from last week there is a few things defensively that need to be cleaned up.

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
Big weekend ahead for the Colts. I'd like to see them win 2 of 3 and get some more secondary scoring. Also, looking at the highlights from last week there is a few things defensively that need to be cleaned up.
Much agreed. So far the talk of this season is secondary scoring and who can produce that for the Colts. Hoping to see it start to kick in over this big road trip for the team, as they are gonna need it down the stretch.

JetsColts13

Oct 24, 2011
Barrie
Well it looks like they did the opposite of what they needed to do. Interesting that coach Hawerchuk who loves to move lines around has kept the same lines that clearly aren't working together and not rewarding players that have played well. Move Foerster, Rhodes, Piercey etc. Up and Willms and Peca down until they start playing. Heres hoping they bounce back tonight in Sudbury. Throwing away huge divisional points.

outforarip

Oct 6, 2018
Well it looks like they did the opposite of what they needed to do. Interesting that coach Hawerchuk who loves to move lines around has kept the same lines that clearly aren't working together and not rewarding players that have played well. Move Foerster, Rhodes, Piercey etc. Up and Willms and Peca down until they start playing. Heres hoping they bounce back tonight in Sudbury. Throwing away huge divisional points.

Would be nice to get a win against a hot Sudbury team. Better come fired up tonight!

outforarip

Oct 6, 2018
Jet Greaves 3rd round pick from last year. Played a solid game. The team had a little more jump in their step last night. Good 2 points. Keep the ball rolling for tonight!!

Reactions: three dog night
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad