Post-Game Talk (GBU): Barn burner at the Bell

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
U:
Risto 26 mins on ice
Dahlin 16

By now I get that they are doing some kinda slow paced introduction for Dahlin (even though not needed) but....hose numbers.......are just wrong.
Dahlin had a rough game and so did Risto. The rookie is going to lose ice time over the vet, no matter how much we hate it.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yes, but why did he put Sheary with Eichel?

I think moving Skinner away from Eichel, only for OT, is a smart move.

The bench gets shortened and Eichel and Skinner are both very strong on the puck in 3 on 3. I think that gives us a better chance throughout the OT to possess the puck.

Reactions: Rasmi

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
wow - crazy game! Pretty nerve-racking, but it's great any time a team learns how to win close games. They definitely need to clean some things up in their own end, but that's a lot easier than trying to figure out how to score goals.

They should send Beaulieu to Roch and re-tool him as a forward. He can forecheck and drive the net and shoot the puck. Not much of a defenseman though.

Use Beaulieu in a Brad May role. He can sure throw them. Could come in handy in the playoffs if teams start taking runs at our stars

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
U:
Risto 26 mins on ice
Dahlin 16

By now I get that they are doing some kinda slow paced introduction for Dahlin (even though not needed) but....hose numbers.......are just wrong.

View media item 3317
Why they dropped Dahlin's time when Bogo came back instead of giving Risto a break I dont understand. The funny thing is even if you take away PP and PK time Risto is still playing two more minutes per game than his partner (McCabe). I'd love to see what Risto lookes like playing 22 min per game as compared to 25-26.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
I THINK the celly was supposed to be some kind of pool reference. 8 ball, corner pocket. If that's the case, someone needs to teach Risto how to hold a cue.

Missed the first period, but the second was meh. Loved their effort in the third. A deserved two points. Props to Hutts for coming in and settling the ship.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I THINK the celly was supposed to be some kind of pool reference. 8 ball, corner pocket. If that's the case, someone needs to teach Risto how to hold a cue.

Missed the first period, but the second was meh. Loved their effort in the third. A deserved two points. Props to Hutts for coming in and settling the ship.

I thought it was supposed to be a gun a la rookie Selanne.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Even though I've been hating on Risto (which his recent play has warranted), I still think he'll turn it around and be a solid #2.5/3 dman.

We absolutely need him to moving forward.

Reactions: sabres4ever

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Boy, the first two period were a shit show, but they put it together in the third and began to take the game over. I admire the fight and motivation to close out the game. They have a lot to clean up, but that's a positive I've noticed from this bunch a lot. They certainly have some frustrating moments, but they do have some fight in them.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Yes, but why did he put Sheary with Eichel?

At the time I thought he'd give Skinner the second unit to always have a skating threat on the ice, but we came out with 71-23 instead so I had no other thoughts for Phil's reasoning.

Didn't they have 9-53-26 practicing 3-on-3 the other day?

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Man, that was a poorly played, but exciting AF game to watch. Sobotka with 2, Skinner with 2, and Risto with the GWOTG! (doesn't redeem his piss poor play from before though.
PK was amazing. 2 5V3's (not full) killed off, 0 PP goals for the habs.
Sloppy play overall, but coming back to tie it, and win in OT. They came out flying from the start, showing they're turning the corner, IMO. So many things they did poorly last couple years have improved greatly.

Dahlin not a good game, but he's coming along. His skating and passing are nearly flawless. First season, he'll be amazing in another year or two.

Eichel with the set play feeding Skinner for the easy goal.

Ullmark not a good game. I asked after the 2nd, if he should be replaced. I think he'd have let more in had they kept him in.

Pet peeve of mine - when on the PK, there are STILL far too many lazy/poor clearing attempts. Drives me nuts that we have posession of the puck in our zone, and CAN'T get it out! Allows the opponents even more scoring chances, instead of having to skate all the way back and then skate up into our zone again.

Casey - the goals will come. Patience.

Twice I saw our sticks get slashed out of our hands - no call. Refs sucked.

Price is human.

Montreal is very fast. Domi is very good.

Makes me look forward to play Tronna.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
It's ugly how underrated Dahlin is already. Kid is 18 years old and outplaying 10 year NHL vets, but some Montreal fans basically calling him a bust. You can tell which hockey fans watch Dahlin's game and which do not.

edit - it's probably a situation of "BUT POINTS!"

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
One time watching I thought what you thought. And when I watched again, I thought it was a pool stick. And when I watched again, it looked like he was snaking out a clogged drain.

So I don’t know what the hell he was trying to do there :biglaugh:
I read that as pool cue - 8 ball in the corner pocket.

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
I have nothing to add that others haven’t or won’t eventually say, but I have one thing.

The Gentlemanly: On Pommers near breakaway in the second, RJ says, “ And Pominville is gassed,” instead of, “And Pominville is old and slow.” Such a consummate professional, that RJ
On the other one they said Pomms probably wished it was 06 again.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
G:
Sabres Win
Goals
Fun/Entertainment factor
3rd Period

B:
Ullmark
1st Period defense
2nd Period everything

U:

upload_2018-11-9_13-24-58.png

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
When was the last time we saw:
Tons of odd-man rushes both ways, with goals and saves by both teams.
BUF kill two (partial) 5-on-3's allowing no goals.
BUF give up a shorty and still win.
11 goals total and the Sabres still win (not counting the recent 9-2 Sat. matinee rout of Ottawa).

I can't recall the last time the Sabres came from behind in the 3rd to beat the Habs in Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad