Post-Game Talk (GBU): Barn burner at the Bell

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Hopefully that goal can give Risto some confidence back.

Hutton came in and did exactly what was needed.

Vancouver scored 8. We got 6. Cue up the 2-1 game on Saturday

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Ugly game for ullmark and price that's for sure. For goodness sake get mitts a star winger because he's really coming around.

Okposo with a typical game...showed signs of good hustle some moderately good possession and did nothing with it.

I was quite entertained I love watching games again.

I really feel like Berglund is helping to stir the drink on and off the ice. He just shows up and does the right stuff regardless of pointz.

Reactions: Mitts888

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
To put some things in perspective how much changed in a year.

Game 16 over. 49 goals for and 8 wins.

Last year we didnt score 49 goals until game 22 of last year. We didnt win our 8th game last year until game #31. We almost have cut the amount of games in half that it took to win 8 games last year.

This is nothing like any recent Sabre iteration. This is a brand new team and we should be in playoff contention the entire season. And I am hoping the playoff drought ends this year. If they play like they have been the rest of the year then the drought WILL end.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
5-on-5 shot stats were wild tonight. Go to natural stat trick and keep an open mind. Dahlin and Beaulieu were fantastic. All other defensemen got absolutely clowned. Okposo-Mittelstadt-Sheary were really good tonight. Eichel/Skinner were 50%, which is perfectly fine.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Jack Eichel might be a 100 point guy this year if he stays healthy. He’s got 19 in 16 with an insanely low shooting percentage and points haven’t come all that easy yet.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Meanwhile, Larsson-Berglund-Girgensons got absolutely destroyed. Rodrigues was surprisingly below 50%, but he looked good.

Kevbeau

Sponsor
Jul 11, 2006
U: just got home and directv didn’t record the game (center ice)

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
wow - crazy game! Pretty nerve-racking, but it's great any time a team learns how to win close games. They definitely need to clean some things up in their own end, but that's a lot easier than trying to figure out how to score goals.

They should send Beaulieu to Roch and re-tool him as a forward. He can forecheck and drive the net and shoot the puck. Not much of a defenseman though.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Missed the third period but a few notes...

- Sheary is as advertised from Pens fans. A real hot/cold player. Some games he'll seem like he's doing everything right. Then he'll disappear for a week or two at a time. Glad we have the good Sheary again for now.

- Mittelstadt seems to have gotten over his "first NHL games" jitters. He was playing pretty tentative for a while but the last game or two he seems to have flipped his switch. He's locked in lately, maybe less worried about making mistakes now and just all-in on playing his game. I love it.

- I think most NHL teams would be excited after an OT win, but watching Risto's GWG replay this morning and the celebration afterward was cool. Eichel had probably the biggest smile on his face than I've seen his entire first three seasons here. He was all over Risto. And Risto acknowledges his shitty play leading up to it in his post-game... so you know he probably realizes he hasn't been good this year. And I'm sure it bugs him like it would anyone. Not only a healthy win for a team that would've likely blown it just about every time last year, but a lucky break that Risto probably needed just for his confidence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aladyyn and Dingo44

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Missed the third period but a few notes...

- Sheary is as advertised from Pens fans. A real hot/cold player. Some games he'll seem like he's doing everything right. Then he'll disappear for a week or two at a time. Glad we have the good Sheary again for now.

- Mittelstadt seems to have gotten over his "first NHL games" jitters. He was playing pretty tentative for a while but the last game or two he seems to have flipped his switch. He's locked in lately, maybe less worried about making mistakes now and just all-in on playing his game. I love it.

- I think most NHL teams would be excited after an OT win, but watching Risto's GWG replay this morning and the celebration afterward was cool. Eichel had probably the biggest smile on his face than I've seen his entire first three seasons here. He was all over Risto. And Risto acknowledges his ****ty play leading up to it in his post-game... so you know he probably realizes he hasn't been good this year. And I'm sure it bugs him like it would anyone. Not only a healthy win for a team that would've likely blown it just about every time last year, but a lucky break that Risto probably needed just for his confidence.
This

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Only watched the condensed game so I can’t comment on much.

Good: being able to put up offense at Will is huge. Sometimes games get into shootouts like this, so as a fan it’s nice to have that confidence if the goals start coming in Buffalo can keep up.

Bad: Ristos cellie in ot

Nedo801

Jul 13, 2017
U:
Risto 26 mins on ice
Dahlin 16

By now I get that they are doing some kinda slow paced introduction for Dahlin (even though not needed) but....hose numbers.......are just wrong.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
If all you care about in hockey is goals and being entertained, that game was fun as hell.

If you enjoy watching the game of hockey for the small things and how the game is played, that game was a nightmare to watch. Lots of things to learn from amd cleanup.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
U:
Risto 26 mins on ice
Dahlin 16

By now I get that they are doing some kinda slow paced introduction for Dahlin (even though not needed) but....hose numbers.......are just wrong.
Obviously it'd be ideal if Risto's minutes were more normal... but I guarantee you they are not going to save Risto at the expense of Dahlin. Not in the kids 18yo rookie year. If that means running Risto into the ground for another year for the sake of slowly feeding Dahlin these situations/minutes/opportunities to learn from and grow into, so be it.

Reactions: Eichel9

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yes, but why did he put Sheary with Eichel?

Almost certainly do to the horrendous/unfortunate showing by the Skinner-Eichel duo in the first shift of the Columbus OT game where they ended up losing half a minute into the OT period. Still, I was expecting someone with more of a 2 way game like ERod.

BuzzKillington90

Jul 12, 2011
Albion, Ny
U:
Risto 26 mins on ice
Dahlin 16

How much of that was due to the penalties we kept staggering? One of the Risto was in the box, but the others seemed like he was out their indefinitely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad