Barkov vs Pettersson

Barkov vs Pettersson

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Very close but Barkov is very special, amazing two way ability with amazing skill, he is a big Pavel Datsyuk, so it's him

Reactions: Jussi

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Realatvely close but Pettersson has more game breaking skill and offensive IQ that Barkov lacks in comparison. He is also better defensively. In terms of potential Pettersson is way ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cats2TheCup

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Just because people think EP is better overall, better defensively does not make him overrated. It shows these people actually watch him play unlike you.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
In my top 15 (14 actually) Centers they're 1 position removed from eachother so it's close

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Draisaitl
4. Crosby
- Kucherov (not a center whoopsies)
5. Eichel
6. Bergeron
7. Matthews
8. Pettersson
9. Barkov
10. Malkin
11. Aho
12. Point
13. ROR
14. Schiefele

I think EP40 will pull away though, starting with this postseason

Last edited:

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In my top 15 Centers they're 1 position removed from eachother so it's close

1. McDavid
2. MacKinnon
3. Draisaitl
4. Crosby
5. Kucherov
6. Eichel
7. Bergeron
8. Matthews
9. Pettersson
10. Barkov
11. Malkin
12. Aho
13. Point
14. ROR
15. Schiefele

I think EP40 will pull away though, starting with this postseason

I was not aware that Kucherov is a center now.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
He definitely is. Barkov isn't good defensively
Back it up with any statistics you can find. Barkov has been touted as a top 5 two way center for years. Now all of a sudden he isn’t good, you people are ridiculous.

FYI Selke voting placing for Barkov the last two years he’s gotten #4 and #5 on a team that doesn’t get coverage. As well in the NHLPA unofficial voting he is quoted by many the leagues best defensive forward.

Talk all you want about offensive talent or playstyles but if pettersson ever wins a selke before Barkov nevertheless in his life I’ll eat my f***in hat

Last edited:

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
When healthy its barkov by a wide margin.

People will vote pettersson because of shiny new toy syndrome here though.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Back it up with any statistics you can find. Barkov has been touted as a top 5 two way center for years. Now all of a sudden he isn’t good, you people are ridiculous.

FYI Selke voting placing for Barkov the last two years he’s gotten #4 and #5 on a team that doesn’t get coverage. As well in the NHLPA unofficial voting he is quoted by many the leagues best defensive forward.

Talk all you want about offensive talent or playstyles but if pettersson ever wins a selke before Barkov nevertheless in his life I’ll eat my f***in hat

Over the last three seasons, the Panthers give up slightly more shots, goals, expected goals and high danger scoring chances with Barkov on the ice than off:

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

He was good as a young player and really good in 16-17, but none of his underlying numbers have been good since them and his RAPM, which uses regression to try to isolate player impact, suggests he was slightly below average in terms of corsi and bad in terms of xGA this year:

download (6).png

And over the last three years, he was slightly better but not by much:

download (7).png

As for in comparison to Pettersson, here's how they look side by side this season:

BarkovPettersson
CA/6054.3752.4
relCA/60-1.66-10.74
FA/6043.0638.21
relFA/602.1-8.37
SA/6032.5228.84
relSA/602.58-5.82
GA/602.642.34
relGA/60-0.18-0.47
xGA/602.532.21
relxGA/60 0.18-0.45
HDCA/6010.738.72
relHDCA/60 -0.58 -3.17
On-ice SV% 91.9 91.87
Def ZS/60 6.68 3.91
OFF ZS% 63.76 81.07
FO% 54.3 41.8
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pettersson also has the much better RAPM chart for this year:

download (8).png

Now, Barkov makes a lot of defensive plays. Trap Jesus made a post that was singling out things like stick checks and loose puck recoveries that Barkov tended to score high on. It's likely this that causes people to overrate Barkov's defense. He's clearly capable of making all the plays defensively, but overall he's not doing enough to actively change his teams defensive fortunes. That could be because he's pressing for offense too much or being lazy on the back heck at times, it's hard to say. But he's built up a reputation from his early years that he no longer deserves. I think he's probably a bit better than his numbers, but there isn't anything to suggest that his defense should get any particular consideration when comparing him to another player. He can get back to being that guy, but right now we can't assume he is.

Now, Pettersson has his flaws defensively. He can get pushed around still and can struggle to get the puck back against a heavy cycle. He also doesn't PK or play heavy defensive minutes. His numbers probably look a little better due to deployment (though not enough to call Barkov better). But there seems to be this weird pushback from people who are unwilling to accept that he actually does really well in terms of limiting chances against when he's on the ice. I guess there's this idea that he's some flashy offensive player who falls down a lot, and those guys tend to not be good defensively, but Pettersson's compete level is off the charts. He falls down and gets right back up into the play. When he loses the puck he fights even harder to get it back. He backchecks as hard as probably any other top line center. He's a very good stick checker, and has great anticipation at breaking up plays in the zone. I don't know if he's going to win a Selke, but dismissing the possibility is foolish. His playstyle screams Datsyuk when he's on that ice, and that goes for his defensive game as well.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Everyone who tell Barkov isn't good defensively... don't know nothing about hockey lol. What you watching?!

Please stop drugs lol

If he was good defensively, his team should do better defensively with him on the ice than without. They haven't for three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad