Barker, Coburn or Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
hockeyGod said:
Not a bad defence either. if you could get a top center to play with sapy and Iggy then you would be set IMO
Nah, keep Conroy, focus on getting someone to play with Lombo and Kob on the second scoring line, Maybe re-signing Simon?

Can't say I'm all that excited about the comparisons between Mike Komisarek and Dion Phaneuf, nor do I agree. The thread has essentially become a pissing contest but I'll throw in my urine for fun.

The biggest difference between Komisarek and Phaneuf is the offensive side of things; Komi has never been all that smart when making decisions in the offensive zone/on offensive transistion whereas Phaneuf has shown that he is as steady in the offensive facets of the game as he is in the defensive side, and at times is downright creative. His passing game is not as strong as it should be, but that's the only thing that could qualify as a weakness for him. Natural born leader, warrior on the ice, a bullet of a shot, and a defensive fortress; these are qualities not found very often in an NHL defenceman.

I had Phaneuf, and still do obviously, as the best defenseman in the '03 draft. He has been on a steady rise through the rankings since the CHL Prospects game of that year when he absolutely ravaged Marc-Antoine Pouliot who was skating with his head down. I don't think that Phaneuf will be a Norris trophy winner during his career, but a certain gentleman that he is often compared to hasn't won any Norris' either and he has made quite a career of being a physically punishing two-way defenceman, and is a leader on and off of the ice.

If you can, I suggest tuning into the Eastern Conference Finals of the WHL and watching #3 on the Red Deer Rebels and then decide whether you think he'll be the next Komisarek or not. Once you do, I'm pretty confident that "Phaneuf is over-hyped" will certainly not be your final answer.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
Unlike the majority of my peers I personally would select Braydon Coburn over Dion Phaneuf. By just looking a comparitive styles I see Coburn as being somewhat of a Al McInnis mold, while Phaneuf leaning towards another St.Louis Blues counterpart Chris Pronger. Its all relative to your teams needs.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Z-Diddy said:
Unlike the majority of my peers I personally would select Braydon Coburn over Dion Phaneuf. By just looking a comparitive styles I see Coburn as being somewhat of a Al McInnis mold, while Phaneuf leaning towards another St.Louis Blues counterpart Chris Pronger. Its all relative to your teams needs.
Really? Thats odd, people normally would compare them the other way I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad