Barker, Coburn or Phaneuf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Phaneuf....Coburn, Barker.

Prediction: Dion Phaneuf becomes the next Mike Komisarek of HF.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Fighter said:
Same here: Phaneuf, Barker, Coburn.

I'll make it unanimous - and disagree that if you want offense you switch for Barker first. Phaneuf has better potential and immediate impact than Barker overall - including offense.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I love what Phaneuf brings, but Barker is going to be elite, I've been saying it long enough I might as well stick with it now. Barker will be better than any of the 'Big 3' from the year before IMO.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Barker, Phaneuf, Coburn. Phaneuf will be a gooder, but Barker will be better. Coburn might've topped this list had he not taken a step backwards since the draft. And is it just me, or has his play really gone downhill since Fleury's shot went off of him in the WJC game?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
craig1 said:
PhoPhan, I like the Komisarek=Phaneuf prediction! I can see it happening already! Great call!

I think the fan (HF board posters) hype on Phaneuf is more proportional to his ability and upside than the hype on Komisarek was to his upside. I believe Phaneuf is somewhat overhyped just like Parise but I don't think he was as overhyped as Komisarek was at some points. And part of that is because of the large number of Montreal fans that were posting at that point and their "optimism" regarding him. With Phaneuf you see a lot more fans of other teams that think he is worthy of hype. It's not like Calgary fans are the only ones on here pimping him. THN ranked him as the 2nd best prospect. We heard quotes about him at the World Juniors where some people thought he had the best performance as a defensemen in the WJC that they had ever seen.

I don't really see the two situations as being all that similar.

Cayouche5

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
PhoPhan said:
Phaneuf....Coburn, Barker.

Prediction: Dion Phaneuf becomes the next Mike Komisarek of HF.
So What ?
This is not good ?
Komisarek played a monster game in his 1rst playoff game ever and was one of the best Defense in the last 3 weeks of the regular season.
I agree that Hamhuis had a better season, but Big dmen takes longer to develop.Can't wait to see Komisarek play 82 games with us next year with Quintal gone.Sorry a bit off topic

So...for me also
1.Phaneuf
2.Barker
3.Coburn

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'll back up my claims.

Firstly, I think Komisarek will be good, and I think Phaneuf will be even better.

That being said, I can already see the seeds of Komo-syndrome being planted. He is a monster physical defenseman, and he has good offensive numbers. But EVERYONE is picking him to be this great player. It was Komisarek last year, Frolov the year before. There have been countless others. Soon, every poll on the poll board will include his name. Phaneuf vs. Komisarek. Phaneuf vs. Klesla. Phaneuf vs. Bouwmeester. Phaneuf vs. HatcherPhaneuf vs. Blake. Phaneuf vs. Pronger. Phaneuf vs. Bourque. Phaneuf vs. Orr. Phaneuf vs. Gretzky. Phaneuf vs. the Pope.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
All I know is the Flames next year top 3 could easily be:

Regher - Leopold

Phaneuf + ?

For a future top 4 defense core that LOOKS HUGE!

PS - ramholt (#2 pick last year) seems to be a very good defensemen as well. More of a puck mover which we could use on the PP as well.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
All I know is the Flames next year top 3 could easily be:

Regher - Leopold

Phaneuf + ?

For a future top 4 defense core that LOOKS HUGE!

PS - ramholt (#2 pick last year) seems to be a very good defensemen as well. More of a puck mover which we could use on the PP as well.

If there is a Flames fan out there that is not excited about the look of the team's defence for the future, they need to get checked out. Leopold, Regehr, Phaneuf and Lydman as the likely top 4 in a few years, then add to that Warrener and Gauthier and you have one heck of a defence corp. I've also been fairly impressed with the play of Ference thus far in the playoffs. You can also throw Tim Ramholt's name into the mix. You can see why this team could be a darkhorse for years to come.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
PhoPhan said:
I'll back up my claims.

Firstly, I think Komisarek will be good, and I think Phaneuf will be even better.

That being said, I can already see the seeds of Komo-syndrome being planted. He is a monster physical defenseman, and he has good offensive numbers. But EVERYONE is picking him to be this great player. It was Komisarek last year, Frolov the year before. There have been countless others. Soon, every poll on the poll board will include his name. Phaneuf vs. Komisarek. Phaneuf vs. Klesla. Phaneuf vs. Bouwmeester. Phaneuf vs. HatcherPhaneuf vs. Blake. Phaneuf vs. Pronger. Phaneuf vs. Bourque. Phaneuf vs. Orr. Phaneuf vs. Gretzky. Phaneuf vs. the Pope.

Well, lets be reasonable and break this down...

Komisarek? No way, he doesn't have the size to compete with Phaneuf
Klesla? Who? Maybe if he gets outta C-Bus
Bouwmeester? Ha, he can't skate like Phaneuf
Hatcher? What? He'd need to work on his toughness to compete like Phaneuf
Blake? Not happening, he just leetches his points of Forsberg
Pronger? He just doesn't have the Hart that Phaneuf does
Bourque? He's never been a winner, not like Phaneuf is
Orr? I don't compare to injury prone players like this
Gretzky? He'd better work on his offense and get back to me
The Pope? Well, this is tough, but frankly I just don't think the Pope has the versatility that Phaneuf does, he's waaaay to one-dimensional.

;)

LeServ

Mar 1, 2002
Le Island
Visit site
I only saw Phaneuf play once. But, he was phenomenal at both ends. Look like Scott Stevens but more offense. He's going to be an elite defenseman.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Kritty said:
If there is a Flames fan out there that is not excited about the look of the team's defence for the future, they need to get checked out. Leopold, Regehr, Phaneuf and Lydman as the likely top 4 in a few years, then add to that Warrener and Gauthier and you have one heck of a defence corp. I've also been fairly impressed with the play of Ference thus far in the playoffs. You can also throw Tim Ramholt's name into the mix. You can see why this team could be a darkhorse for years to come.

Not sure why you didn't reference Commodore. He's been playing great in the playoffs and is the same age as Leo and Regehr. Looks to have won himself a top 6 role next year IMO. The Flames definitely will not risk losing him on waivers again. Montador makes a great 7th and he too cannot be sent down without being waived. I also believe there's a decent chance Phaneuf will make the Flames next time they have a training camp.

I'd say it's likely that Gauthier is the odd man out unless you want him as a 7th defensemen but he's too expensive for that role, small chance it's Lydman that's moved IMO.

Puckz

Jun 22, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
ducksflytogether said:
And is it just me, or has his play really gone downhill since Fleury's shot went off of him in the WJC game?

This just caught my eye, is this referring to the Gold Medal game against the Americans? If it was I could have sworn it was Seabrooke and not Coburn...

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Kritty said:

I'm very jealous. I think it will be one of the tops, if not the best D in the league.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Flames Draft Watcher said:
I'd say it's likely that Gauthier is the odd man out unless you want him as a 7th defensemen but he's too expensive for that role, small chance it's Lydman that's moved IMO.

I agree that gautheir would be an expensive 7th man out if everything worked out as it should with Dion and Commodore BUT Lydman is even more expensive with his contract going to 2 or 2+ million soon and with the likes of Dion, leopold, regher, Commodore, Warrener. Lydman would be a 5/6 defensemen on the team and that is very expensive for a guy not on the top 4 core ona small market team.

Would be nice to package Lydman and gautheir for a top forward or solid solid 2nd line scorer. And it would leave our defense as the following.

Leopold - Regher
Phaneuf - Warrener
Ference - Commodore
Montador/Wallin/Ramholt

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
I agree that gautheir would be an expensive 7th man out if everything worked out as it should with Dion and Commodore BUT Lydman is even more expensive with his contract going to 2 or 2+ million soon and with the likes of Dion, leopold, regher, Commodore, Warrener. Lydman would be a 5/6 defensemen on the team and that is very expensive for a guy not on the top 4 core ona small market team.

Would be nice to package Lydman and gautheir for a top forward or solid solid 2nd line scorer. And it would leave our defense as the following.

Leopold - Regher
Phaneuf - Warrener
Ference - Commodore
Montador/Wallin/Ramholt

Not a bad defence either. if you could get a top center to play with sapy and Iggy then you would be set IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad