Confirmed with Link: Barbashev re-signs 2yr/ 2.25 AAV

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida

About what I expected on dollar amount. Wish it was longer term.

Agreed. This takes him to UFA. But you don't normally sign long term deals with bottom 6 role players because it pushes the AAV too high for the role. The AAV is already a bit higher than you'd like for that role here. Adding term would have just pushed it higher.

Reactions: CoMoBlues

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
It does seem a bit steep for a guy who can't really play above the 4th line when we're fully healthy and didn't really impress the way Sundquivst did when moved up the lineup.

Reactions: Mike Liut

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Would not surprise me to see Barby centering the 3rd line this year with Kostin and someone else on his other wing. Maybe Sunny.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
I am good with the contract. I figured he'd ask for something closer to what Sunny got. This is 500k less.

Still on target to resign all of our RFAs and come in under the cap with no additional moves (i.e. Tarasenko).

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Would not surprise me to see Barby centering the 3rd line this year with Kostin and someone else on his other wing. Maybe Sunny.

Up to this point, the team has been best with Schenn playing center. I know everybody imagines Thomas as having a huge breakout and needing the best wingers to do that, but the team is currently set up for O'Reilly, Schenn, Thomas as the top three centers with Barbashev/Sundqvist on the 4th line.

If Thomas explodes or they find some crazy chemistry with Barbashev and Sundqvist each centering the 3rd and 4th lines, cool, but I don't expect it. It's a long season, the Blues should aim to roll four lines as much as possible to stay healthy.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Up to this point, the team has been best with Schenn playing center. I know everybody imagines Thomas as having a huge breakout and needing the best wingers to do that, but the team is currently set up for O'Reilly, Schenn, Thomas as the top three centers with Barbashev/Sundqvist on the 4th line.

If Thomas explodes or they find some crazy chemistry with Barbashev and Sundqvist each centering the 3rd and 4th lines, cool, but I don't expect it. It's a long season, the Blues should aim to roll four lines as much as possible to stay healthy.
Yes. 1 2 3

Schenn needs to be the #2 and you put at least one of our better wingers with Thomas.

Reactions: Meatball

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule

Honestly, I forgot we got Saad. So I still had Perron-RoR-Buch and Schenn-Thomas-Kyrou in mind. But now that I'm not being Dory, yeah, Thomas centering the Third line makes more sense in my brain.

Reactions: Meatball

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It’s fine. Would have liked it at 2M or a bit under but it’s not a big deal. Allows us to evaluate him over the next 2 years and then make a decision then if he should be retained.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
lol i thought he resigned after signing for 2.25m

tenor.gif

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Eh, takes him right to UFA. Oh well. I am not going to cry over it, but I have to admit I am a bit "meh" about it.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Not sure where the negativity and ambivalence is coming from about this deal. It covers only RFA years and guys who put up 25-30 points a year playing almost exclusively in a 4th line role don’t grow on trees. I would have preferred we kept it at or below $2M because of the other RFAs we still need to sign, not because he isn’t worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad