Confirmed with Link: Barabanov signs extension

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
Well, looks like Donato isn't coming back so would venture to say that I am onto something here from those that do this for a living.

Not a big Donato fan at all, as he's essentially a less "talented" Labanc, but if they actually choose Gambrell over Donato, then f*** me. It's gonna get real bad next season.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
That's simply not true. The Sharks system is flush with guys that can play 4C. You might as well cut out the 3C stuff because Gambrell can't play it either. Gambrell in no way has more value than Donato and in no way has 3rd line potential.

The Sharks centre depth this season was so bad that Marleau regularly slotted in a centre so I am not sure where those guys are. Also despite how we want to evaluate Gambrell he was clearly the best 3C the team dressed all season so I have a hard time believing we have a bunch of players who are going to knock him out of the line-up.

DisbeliefInDW

May 12, 2021
The Sharks centre depth this season was so bad that Marleau regularly slotted in a centre so I am not sure where those guys are. Also despite how we want to evaluate Gambrell he was clearly the best 3C the team dressed all season so I have a hard time believing we have a bunch of players who are going to knock him out of the line-up.

Again, judging how a player looks on a garbage team and labeling it as his outlook is not smart. Gambrell would not even be a 4th line center on a good team. The fact that he is a 3rd line center on an NHL team says more about the team than it does him. He's not good, at all. Until you find a definitive 3C, you should keep trying different players instead of staying content with Gambrell.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Doesn't that sort of speaking poorly to Gambrell's abilities when he's repeatedly getting passed over when opportunities open up? Doesn't speak poorly to what they think of him when they're publicly saying that their priorities this offseason is to acquire a 3C? I get that the center depth isn't good. The point is that Gambrell is not and has not been an answer to that to such a degree that they will be looking for someone to take his spot. Even if Donato doesn't figure into their plans next season, he still has more trade value than Gambrell and of the two should be protected. Now that difference may not be substantial but there's no sense in actively taking the worse option.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Again, judging how a player looks on a garbage team and labeling it as his outlook is not smart. Gambrell would not even be a 4th line center on a good team. The fact that he is a 3rd line center on an NHL team says more about the team than it does him. He's not good, at all. Until you find a definitive 3C, you should keep trying different players instead of staying content with Gambrell.

I am going to disagree with you on the bold point.

I do agree that Gambrell playing the bulk of the season at 3C speaks volumes about the Sharks centre prospects. The reality was they couldn't find anyone who could stick at 4C

Red Light Lover

Jun 6, 2015
Oakland, CA
I am not sure you make that assessment in a vacuum. I think you need to consider the rest of the roster.

If you lose Gambrell you effectively have no 3C or 4C anywhere on the roster or in the system for next season. I think there is a case that based on how thin the Sharks are at Centre Gabrell has more value than a 3rd line winger who has reached his likely ceiling.
Personally, I would rather have True at 4C than Gambrell. I think his game is more suited to that 4th line role. Gambrell is a player in no man's land because his game is more suited to 3C but his skill sets are not good enough to hold down the position.

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
So back to Barabanov. I could see him scoring 15-18 goals next year on that top line.

Definately! I don't think it would be crazy if he hit 20 based on consistent top 6 and PP usage. I also think given the maturity of his game vs. the kids he is likely to get both of those things.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I feel like the hype around this guy is starting to get out of hand. It's been 9 games. If he turns into a 40 point player I would ecstatic. 30 seems more realistic to me though.

30 would be even higher then his normal years in pro leagues.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California

Wow, I didn't realize that. I thought he was far better in other leagues. That makes me even less sure about him. 10-15 points could be where he ends up. But I hope he can at least provide depth scoring.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

To be fair, that's in a shorter season. His 82-game average in the KHL during three of his last four years is 38 and his best year was 65.

Hopefully he's a 30-point player in the NHL next year, and the way he's looked with Hertl and Kane at least lends credence to that being plausible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad