News Article: Bandwagon Fans???

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If we can stay focused on the article, this will stay open.

We are done discussing other fanbases. This has dragged out for more than 24 hours and even though it's on the Kings forum it's borderline trolling at this point.

Nosedive

Apr 4, 2014
How many Kings fans do you see filling up other stadiums aside from The Honda Center (and their own home ice of course)?

Whereas a team like Chicago, you hear and see tons of them in other arenas, with brand new Kane or Toews jerseys. Every successful team will have bandwagon fans, but I think the core of Kings fans have been there for many, many years. Being a Kings fan was like a cult following, even in the dark days the team was averaging 16-17K fans.

It's grown a bit more since then, but it's nothing outrageous like say, the Miami Heat bandwagon that suddenly disappeared, or the Chicago Bulls bandwagon of the 90s, or the Red Wings from the 90s through 2000s and now suddenly they've mostly disappeared, probably in favor of Chicago Blackhawks sweaters.

As for Ducks fans criticizing the Kings and their fans, they should shut up and be thankful of the Kings' existence. If it wasn't for the Kings and their growth of fans, they wouldn't have a team.

I'm guessing you were not around when the Kings played at the Forum then

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm guessing you were not around when the Kings played at the Forum then

They still had more fans in the seats when Steve McKenna was taking the shifts than the Ducks currently do. Hell, I've seen preseason games that have more people in seats than the Ducks get during the regular season.

And didn't the Ducks have playoff tickets easily available this past year? And didn't the Ducks have a buy one, get one free deal on season tickets? I don't recall the Kings ever having to resort to such desperate tactics to sell tickets. You know, like your Ducks.

Ron*

If we can stay focused on the article, this will stay open.

We are done discussing other fanbases. This has dragged out for more than 24 hours and even though it's on the Kings forum it's borderline trolling at this point.

I understand where you are coming from, but it is kind of related to the subject. The opening post linked to a blogger claiming Chicago was more of a bandwagon than the Kings, but the Kings (and their fans) seemed to get all of the grief. It is no secret that the other California teams' fans make hay out of the subject, ironically ignoring the fact that if it wasn't for the Kings' success, their teams wouldn't even exist (as Ziggy pointed out above).

Besides, that board repeatedly calls Kings' fans bandwaggoners without moderation. If they can't stand the heat, they need to stay out of the kitchen.

Nosedive

Apr 4, 2014
They still had more fans in the seats when Steve McKenna was taking the shifts than the Ducks currently do. Hell, I've seen preseason games that have more people in seats than the Ducks get during the regular season.

And didn't the Ducks have playoff tickets easily available this past year? And didn't the Ducks have a buy one, get one free deal on season tickets? I don't recall the Kings ever having to resort to such desperate tactics to sell tickets. You know, like your Ducks.

When Steve McKenna played, attendance figures were around 13,000 and 12,500 in two of his three seasons as a King. The Ducks have been currently averaging about 16,500 per game.

I don't know, I had my tickets already ordered, but probably. They may have; that sounds like a good deal. I'm not sure why you can't recall. The Kings indeed used similar tactics. I remember when I would show up to the box office and buy nosebleed tickets for $5, and sneak down to the lower bowl at the Forum. That's how I got to know Bernie Nicholls. Other times, fans would stand around giving away free tickets.

I'm a hockey fan first, and I don't care for either fanbase. I've followed each franchise closely for a long time, and so I like talking about them. I call it like it is. I appreciate your welcome, and I will definitely make more visits to this board to talk about Kings/California hockey :)

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
There are different classes of bandwagons. Since you jumped on BEFORE Murray got canned, you are accepted in the 2010 class of bandwagon fans with still a somewhat air of legitimacy.

Anyone who jumped on when Daryl was hired is at the low end. In order, here is the full class population of bandwagon fans:

1. Bandwagon since 1967. (Inception)
2. Bandwagon since 1975. (Best regular season ever)
3. Bandwagon since 1976. (Boston series)
4. Bandwagon since 1982. (Miracle on Manchester)
5. Bandwagon since 1988. (Gretzky)
6. Bandwagon since 1993. (First Stanley Cup appearance)
7. Bandwagon since 2001. (Detroit series)
8. Bandwagon since 2010. (First playoff appearance in eight seasons)
9. Bandwagon since 2012. (First Stanley Cup championship)
10. Bandwagon since 2014. (Second Stanley Cup championship)

UJHSxl.png

I'm number 5. Does that make me a 5th generation bandwagoner? :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, I think the only ones that can be called a bandwagon fan is someone who has never been a fan through tough times since really, bandwagoners show up when things are going good.

To me anyone who was a Kings fan 2011 or earlier is not a bandwagon fan. I definately don't call myself one. I suffered through enough losing to earn my stripes.

ElKingsFan92

Mar 10, 2011
Hollywood/Lakewood
I'm between class 6 and 7 on that Kings fan "bandwagon" chart, with a bit more of a level seven leaning. I vaguely remember guys like Yanic Perreault, Vitali Yachmenev, baby versions of Mattias Norstrom and Jaroslav Modry, etc. However, above all that, Rob Blake was my favorite player as a 5-6 year old. However, as a really small kid in the '90s and early '00s, I liked both the Kings and Ducks(dat Kariya-Selanne duo tho...). I was pretty heartbroken when the Kings dealt away Blake to my most hated team back then, the Avs(I didn't know about all of the behind the scenes stuff with him until much later) but very quickly became a huge fan of Aaron Miller and especially Adam Deadmarsh(He's still one of my personal all-time favorites). That 2001 series versus Detroit sealed the deal for me being a permanent Kings fan.

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
No such thing as a bandwagon fan. Fans are fans. Every fan has the right to enjoy this sport and their favorite team in any way they wish, to whatever depth they wish. No one has the right to judge them.

It's amazing to see the snobbish behavior of so many fans (not necessarily here) who thumb their noses at fans who know less about the game than they do and then go on the denigrate or berate them for being a "bandwagoner." Yes, this happens. Talk about stupid and shortsighted.

Hockey is still a niche sport in the United States. For fans here to belittle other fans is stupid. Why make other fans feel unwelcome? Many of them are likely to be newer fans who are just getting into the game. Scaring them off because they aren't "true" fans (as if any of us had the right to judge) is just plain dumb.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
No such thing as a bandwagon fan. Fans are fans. Every fan has the right to enjoy this sport and their favorite team in any way they wish, to whatever depth they wish. No one has the right to judge them.

It's amazing to see the snobbish behavior of so many fans (not necessarily here) who thumb their noses at fans who know less about the game than they do and then go on the denigrate or berate them for being a "bandwagoner." Yes, this happens. Talk about stupid and shortsighted.

Hockey is still a niche sport in the United States. For fans here to belittle other fans is stupid. Why make other fans feel unwelcome? Many of them are likely to be newer fans who are just getting into the game. Scaring them off because they aren't "true" fans (as if any of us had the right to judge) is just plain dumb.

I really don't care if someone is a bandwagoner or not. I think where the snobbish behaviour with some comes from though is that some fans feel like they have 'paid their dues.' Why does this guy whose been a fan of the team for the past six months/two years/whatever time frame get to celebrate when I've been here through the lean years? I 'earned' it.

Like I said to me it doesn't matter much, I really don't care whose been a fan longer or any of that, but I think for others that is the issue and I can understand it to a degree too.

Ron*

Agree 100%.

This is the part that drives me nuts about those fans from other parts of California. As though they are more knowledgeable about the sport because their fledgling teams were born in the 1990s and some of those fans have been able to follow them since inception. So anyone who follows the Kings after they followed their teams is a "bandwagon fan." Pathetic.

Of course, most of the posters here have understood my "bandwagon class" system for the Kings is an indirect mock at fans of other teams who call us "bandwaggoners." Hope no one really took it seriously. (Obviously some are having fun with it.) My whole point, of course, was to show the idiocy of anyone who calls anyone a bandwaggoner. My tagline basically embraces this thought and absolutely no one has ever come back to me and called me a "bandwaggoner," except some young clown wearing a Sharks uni. :laugh:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I understand where you are coming from, but it is kind of related to the subject. The opening post linked to a blogger claiming Chicago was more of a bandwagon than the Kings, but the Kings (and their fans) seemed to get all of the grief. It is no secret that the other California teams' fans make hay out of the subject, ironically ignoring the fact that if it wasn't for the Kings' success, their teams wouldn't even exist (as Ziggy pointed out above).

Besides, that board repeatedly calls Kings' fans bandwaggoners without moderation. If they can't stand the heat, they need to stay out of the kitchen.

Believe me, I get it and it should be a fun thread not a bash thread. For a minute it was headed the direction of the latter.

And if you see things that you think are beyond the scope of the site rules, even on another board, 'report post.' Sometimes things just get lost in the shuffle particularly in fast-moving GDTs.

PK16

Jul 28, 2013
When Steve McKenna played, attendance figures were around 13,000 and 12,500 in two of his three seasons as a King. The Ducks have been currently averaging about 16,500 per game.

I don't know, I had my tickets already ordered, but probably. They may have; that sounds like a good deal. I'm not sure why you can't recall. The Kings indeed used similar tactics. I remember when I would show up to the box office and buy nosebleed tickets for $5, and sneak down to the lower bowl at the Forum. That's how I got to know Bernie Nicholls. Other times, fans would stand around giving away free tickets.

I'm a hockey fan first, and I don't care for either fanbase. I've followed each franchise closely for a long time, and so I like talking about them. I call it like it is. I appreciate your welcome, and I will definitely make more visits to this board to talk about Kings/California hockey :)

The problem with the article is that it only looks at attendance from 2005 forward, and obviously the Kings have been around longer than that. For a more true representation of Kings attendance see the following link:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=6664

Nevertheless, this post is not that far off. As someone born and raised in LA and following hockey since the 70s, there has been an element of bandwagon following for the fans. Take a look at attendance since their arrival in LA. As the poster above stated, you could get tickets for $5 with any student ID, and then simply sneak down into the bottom level. Sometimes you were stopped by an usher, but if that happened, you simply went down a couple more aisles and eventually could get down. By periods 2 and 3, you could often get down without anyone stopping you. I was at many a Kings game with crowds in the 8000-9000 range (and for those who don't know or don't remember, the forum sat 16,005 for King games).

Though I would not break it down into all 8 categories (for instance, I don't recall a significant increase in attendance following the Miracle on Manchester) some of them ring true. In particular, the arrival of Gretzky definitely initiated a bandwagon cascade. Gone were the $5 tickets and getting down to better seats and in came the celebrity fans that are so often a fixture at Laker games. One thing that people should understand is that being a bandwagon fan is not necessarily a negative thing. Growing up in LA, hockey was even more of a fringe sport than it is now. With Gretzky's arrival came more interest, more leagues, both ice and in-line, which was very welcomed. And the other California NHL fan bases, ragging on bandwagon fans you can go ahead and thank Gretzky and the bandwagon fans in LA for your franchises. Without them, their is no Ducks or Sharks.

I see a similar bandwagon bump occurring around 2011-2012 which I am sure is related to the championships. But my guess is it would also occur in many cities that have a Stanley Cup winner. No big deal.

Ron*

The whiners complaining about bandwagoners are just jealous that their team doesn't have people hopping on the so called bandwagon. I have no problem with people hopping on the bandwagon of the LA Kings or any other team for that matter. I love hockey. The more people into it, the better.

The Kings fanbase is sooooo different from just 20 years ago, and also 20 years before that. Hockey has really crossed a lot of barriers that many believed couldn't be crossed just a few years ago. I am amazed at the diversity of our fanbase, but absolutely embrace it. Always the more the better.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Speaking of bandwagon fans, there has been an insane influx of Seahawks fans in LA ever since they won the Superbowl. Until then I would go months without seeing one. Now I see about three a day.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Speaking of bandwagon fans, there has been an insane influx of Seahawks fans in LA ever since they won the Superbowl. Until then I would go months without seeing one. Now I see about three a day.

To be fair, I've been a fan since 2010. And it's because of Pete Carroll. I'm sure that's why there's been such a large influx.

I'm more of a casual NFL fan though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad