News Article: Bandwagon Fans???

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson
The only determination of a bandwagon fan is when you leave and where you go. We still have to wait a little to figure that part out, as does Chicago.

ADifferentTim

Knowledgeable & Pure
Dec 18, 2013
LACo/IE; SoCal
Boston, Anaheim, and Chicago = biggest bandwagon cities in hockey.

Boston is a baseball town to begin with, while the Bears own Chicago. Even then, American members of the Original Six not named Detroit do not even have hockey at the Top 2 of their respective local markets.

Boston Top 2:
--Red Sox (MLB)
--Patriots (NFL)

Chicago Top 2:
--Bears (NFL)
--Cubs (MLB) :shakehead

Detroit Top 2:
--Lions (NFL)
--Red Wings (NHL)

New York Top 2:
--Yankees (MLB)
--Knicks (NBA) :shakehead

As for Anaheim, I personally attend school with Ducks fans in real life and enjoy the verbal jousting. :laugh:

Back on topic, specifically about Chicago, they've been mismanaged for about 50 years.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The only thing that upsets me is when anyone gets upset that someone is a fan of the Kings. This isn't some selective club. Everyone starts somewhere.

scryan

May 1, 2013
I've always been confused about this.
Am I a bandwagon fan if I jumped on in 2011/2012...Right before Murry got canned?

Ron*

Am I a bandwagon fan if I jumped on in 2011/2012...Right before Murry got canned?

There are different classes of bandwagons. Since you jumped on BEFORE Murray got canned, you are accepted in the 2010 class of bandwagon fans with still a somewhat air of legitimacy.

Anyone who jumped on when Daryl was hired is at the low end. In order, here is the full class population of bandwagon fans:

1. Bandwagon since 1967. (Inception)
2. Bandwagon since 1975. (Best regular season ever)
3. Bandwagon since 1976. (Boston series)
4. Bandwagon since 1982. (Miracle on Manchester)
5. Bandwagon since 1988. (Gretzky)
6. Bandwagon since 1993. (First Stanley Cup appearance)
7. Bandwagon since 2001. (Detroit series)
8. Bandwagon since 2010. (First playoff appearance in eight seasons)
9. Bandwagon since 2012. (First Stanley Cup championship)
10. Bandwagon since 2014. (Second Stanley Cup championship)

UJHSxl.png

Ron*

ok thanks, Ill order my patch today.

Thanks, man.

I'll send you the eBay link later today. Since you will be the first customer, I will give you a 10% discount.

No, no need to thank me. It's my pleasure. :)

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Wouldn't every team want a ton of bandwagoners? No one bandwagons for a ****** team.

Because i hate myself and love to be cynical. Im a fan of the term bandwagoner. A team doesn't have fans, lol at them for having no fans, a team gets good and starts getting fans, lol at them for having fans.

I will find a nick in the armour of a fan of any team to rile them up

And the reason why the Kings have so many bandwagoners is naturally because people GRAVITATE TOWARDS PERFECTION

[spoil]
mqdefault.jpg
[/spoil]

Bee Sheriff

Bad Boy Postingâ„¢
Nov 9, 2013
Tucson

I also did this, my friend who is a Canadian in Vancouver (Canucks fan, obviously) convinced me to watch Hockey so i started watching around January 2012 and fell in love. I decided to go for the Kings because, not being anything of a sports fan at the time, i figured the Lakers were good and local so any LA team must be cool. I've since educated myself as much as possible about with HFBoards and Youtube videos and stat sheets etc. I'm pretty confident in my ability to talk hockey of any time period. I also became a big baseball and basketball fan. Sports rule.

Last edited:

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
1993 bandwagon reporting in. I was six, though, not sure if I knew what a band or a wagon was at the time.

And yeah, Aki Berg got me to stay. :laugh: dat end to end first game goal

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
lol bandwagon 1976 here i was 7 maybe 8 However the boston series wasn't it It was them beating montreal on hnic I was anti french at the time being forced to take it Something i didn't like. Also liked the name rogie little beaver (dionne) and goring all just sounded good at the time. lol We were also in the same division as the canadians then

fyrescorp

Apr 19, 2006
I took out all my used tickets a couple of years ago and bought a big picture frame and put one ticket for each year in it. Hangs in my work shop now. Earliest I could find was preseason 1988.

Last edited:

taz346

Jan 8, 2008
Not there, but here
I'm guilty of being a bandwagon fan.

Kristich and Yachmenev sure made it easy to pull me in.......

:facepalm:
How about "Cowboy" Bill Flett and Co, or Jiggs Mcdonald announcing. Stu Nahan and hockey news and a few games from Ch.9 and Ch.5 in L.A.? Now, I'm watching the sons of players that I used to watch.:cry:

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm a bandwagoner from when our new young core was Luc Robitaille, Jimmy Carson and Steve Duchesne. Pillars of the franchise, I tell ya!

Ron*

How about "Cowboy" Bill Flett and Co, or Jiggs Mcdonald announcing. Stu Nahan and hockey news and a few games from Ch.9 and Ch.5 in L.A.? Now, I'm watching the sons of players that I used to watch.:cry:

Grandsons, man. Grandsons.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
How many Kings fans do you see filling up other stadiums aside from The Honda Center (and their own home ice of course)?

Whereas a team like Chicago, you hear and see tons of them in other arenas, with brand new Kane or Toews jerseys. Every successful team will have bandwagon fans, but I think the core of Kings fans have been there for many, many years. Being a Kings fan was like a cult following, even in the dark days the team was averaging 16-17K fans.

It's grown a bit more since then, but it's nothing outrageous like say, the Miami Heat bandwagon that suddenly disappeared, or the Chicago Bulls bandwagon of the 90s, or the Red Wings from the 90s through 2000s and now suddenly they've mostly disappeared, probably in favor of Chicago Blackhawks sweaters.

As for Ducks fans criticizing the Kings and their fans, they should shut up and be thankful of the Kings' existence. If it wasn't for the Kings and their growth of fans, they wouldn't have a team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad