Ballon d'Or 30-man shortlist. Who should win?

Who should win?

• Kylian Mbappé

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mohamed Salah

• Sergio Aguero

• Paul Pogba

• Sergio Ramos

• Ivan Rakitic

• Jan Oblak

• Neymar Jr

• Marcelo

• Sadio Mané

• Mario Mandzukic

• Hugo Lloris

• Isco

• Harry Kane

• Alisson Becker

• Diego Godin

• Thibaut Courtois

• Roberto Firmino

• Karim Benzema

• Edinson Cavani

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh your intentions are always crystal clear. And can't meet their goals.

Hopefully you continue to think you're smart. It's good for the rest of us that you try to explain and teach us.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
In such large databases mistakes are not uncommon regardless of the platform. The point is that wikipedia is not a source, and transfermarkt absolutely is better to reference. Especially when you consider a lot of what is on wikipedia in terms of data comes from transfermarkt, except it's being copied over by a random user which increases the chance of introducing error.

Anyway, if your focus is on one incident that you can't quite recall and that is your basis for saying transfermarkt is as unreliable as wikipedia, that's fine. The message is the same and that's your choice.

While that may be true, it's the only mistake I recall seeing. What's more we're not talking a goal or an assist, but it was multiple goals. I've never come across such an instance using Wikipedia either, granted I don't use it much. So for me Transfermarkt isn't better to reference much less absolutely so. As for how much data to Transfermarkt comes from Wikipedia, I wouldn't know and I'd be curious how you would. Yes, I know they cite the sources on there, but in the two cases mentioned in this thread I'm not seeing Transfermarkt being cited for either player's stats when I look at their respective Wikipedia entries.

I don't recall the exact specifics of who the player was, but it happened and Transfermarkt was well off. I'm pretty sure it was either over a drafted player or a player I won't mention. Either way the goal total was off by multiple goals. The way I know was when the player's totals were posted I immediate thought "that seems off" and checked them. They were notably off and Transfermarkt was cited. I recall also checking another player or two after that and same thing with one of them.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
While that may be true, it's the only mistake I recall seeing. What's more we're not talking a goal or an assist, but it was multiple goals. I've never come across such an instance using Wikipedia either, granted I don't use it much. So for me Transfermarkt isn't better to reference much less absolutely so. As for how much data to Transfermarkt comes from Wikipedia, I wouldn't know and I'd be curious how you would. Yes, I know they cite the sources on there, but in the two cases mentioned in this thread I'm not seeing Transfermarkt being cited for either player's stats when I look at their respective Wikipedia entries.

Interestingly I could have sworn the reference was there in the English version but I don't see it anymore. The French version still has the footnote that links to transfermarkt: Patrick Vieira — Wikipédia

But again, wikipedia doesn't actually track the stats, it's just a place for people to compile information from other sites/sources.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
But again, wikipedia doesn't actually track the stats, it's just a place for people to compile information from other sites/sources.

Yes, I'm aware of how Wikipedia works thank you. And by getting information from other sources and citing said sources they themselves then become a source.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
... after reading the last few pages:

giphy-17.gif

Reactions: YNWA14 and Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad