Ballon d'Or 30-man shortlist. Who should win?

Who should win?

• Kylian Mbappé

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mohamed Salah

• Sergio Aguero

• Paul Pogba

• Sergio Ramos

• Ivan Rakitic

• Jan Oblak

• Neymar Jr

• Marcelo

• Sadio Mané

• Mario Mandzukic

• Hugo Lloris

• Isco

• Harry Kane

• Alisson Becker

• Diego Godin

• Thibaut Courtois

• Roberto Firmino

• Karim Benzema

• Edinson Cavani

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Voted Varane. He's had a dream year.
CL+WC. Only player this year to win the 2.
Hazard and Modric are 2nd and 3rd in my book.

Reactions: Gecklund

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Modric has been horrendous in the league the whole year, didn't do much in CL besides Bayern tie (benched vs PSG for example), but was absurdly good in pretty much every WC game.

He will probably win because muh story-line, but Messi and Ronaldo were way better as a whole in 2018. I'd pick Ronaldo because he's performed well in every competition he's been in this year.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Great to see Alisson on there. He was remarkable last season.

As for my vote... I dunno. Messi is still miles better than everyone else , and had a really good season. That should probably count for something.

Modric is a good shout as well. I thought De Bruyne was immense for City last season too. For me, the best in the Prem last season.

Not gunna lie, I'm pretty stunned to see Mandzukic on there. He's a really solid player , but a Ballon D'or candidate? I dunno about that.

Also, how David De Gea isn't on this list is beyond me. Are we really gunna punish him for a couple gaffes for Spain and forget about one of the best club seasons ever from a GK? How stupid is that. I mean, if United don't have him last year, are they even a Champions League side? His underlying stats were absurd.

That aside, gun to my head, I'd probably still choose Messi , even though he didn't win the CL or WC. I'm not sure how much team accomplishments should be factored into this, and truthfully, I think this award is pretty farcical.

Reactions: Gecklund

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
My top 3:
Modric
Varane
Messi

Had Messi done the invincibles with Barca, this race would be way harder and he'd probably have the advantage.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Voted Kante because he’s not flashy, the song about him with France’s run was good fun, and he genuinely seems like a lovable guy.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Who should win - Messi
Who will - Modric

Sometimes I feel this award is basen on April to June performance. The rest of the year doesn’t count.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
"Results are only viewable after voting."

:facepalm:
12.jpg

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Modric has been horrendous in the league the whole year, didn't do much in CL besides Bayern tie (benched vs PSG for example), but was absurdly good in pretty much every WC game.

I mean... Are you just making stuff up at this point or what?

Modric was the most consistent Madrid player all year, and the only one in the conversation with him is Varane. Those two and Asensio were basically the only 3 players either not injured or off-form in the first 3 months of the season, when Madrid lost the title... So the whole narrative of Modric underperforming (or better yet, being "horrendous", what the actual F....) is built on people watching scores and not the actual games and then just repeating the same stuff on random internet websites.

He was never benched vs PSG. That's just so ridiculous it just makes the rest of the post even worse.
He (and Kroos) were both injured for the return leg.

"Didn't do much in the CL".
I mean, it's post like these that makes you realize that if someone doesn't score a goal or at least gets an assist your average football fan can't recognize a god tier midfielder from Mark Noble.

Reactions: Il Mediano

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Honestly Messi should be winning it every year, but I would be totally OK with seeing it go to Modric

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Nice to see Mandzukic get some recognition. He probably doesn't deserve to be on the shortlist but he's consistently fantastic and I have a soft spot for players who can Excel anywhere on the pitch.

I voted Modric. It'd surprise me if he didn't win.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I mean... Are you just making stuff up at this point or what?

Modric was the most consistent Madrid player all year, and the only one in the conversation with him is Varane. Those two and Asensio were basically the only 3 players either not injured or off-form in the first 3 months of the season, when Madrid lost the title... So the whole narrative of Modric underperforming (or better yet, being "horrendous", what the actual F....) is built on people watching scores and not the actual games and then just repeating the same stuff on random internet websites.

He was never benched vs PSG. That's just so ridiculous it just makes the rest of the post even worse.
He (and Kroos) were both injured for the return leg.

"Didn't do much in the CL".
I mean, it's post like these that makes you realize that if someone doesn't score a goal or at least gets an assist your average football fan can't recognize a god tier midfielder from Mark Noble.
Nope, watched plenty of Real Madrid league games (probably 80-90% including extended highlights). Modric has been mediocre in league games for the most part (big part in why Real Madrid have been poor in the leagie) and was average in the majority of CL games except towards the end of the tournament.

He's been pretty terrible since the WC as well.

I mean it won't be the first time a player won Ballon D'Or because of World Cup (see Cannavaro). But as a game changer, he was not on Cristiano or Messi's level still.

If anything, Varane was the more consistently solid player last year.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Hmm I would usually be one to vote for Ronaldo, but I can't do that here.

Messi would get my vote: would be okay seeing it go to any of Modric, Varane, or Griez. The last one is a super dark horse, I just always appreciate Antoine from a far and he had a great year!

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Nope, watched plenty of Real Madrid league games (probably 80-90% including extended highlights). Modric has been mediocre in league games for the most part (big part in why Real Madrid have been poor in the leagie) and was average in the majority of CL games except towards the end of the tournament.

He's been pretty terrible since the WC as well.

I mean it won't be the first time a player won Ballon D'Or because of World Cup (see Cannavaro). But as a game changer, he was not on Cristiano or Messi's level still.

If anything, Varane was the more consistently solid player last year.

You are just trolling at this point.
Modric was as good on Madrid as he was with Croatia.

Reactions: YNWA14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad