OT: Ball Hockey Leagues in Ottawa

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Have played with Carleton and OSSC.

Carleton: the best of the three, IMO. Chippy but fun. Good talent level. Wide gyms, bring your own equipment (incl. wooden sticks.)

OSSC: Generally cool people. A couple of hotheads can ruin it very quickly though. Sticks are provided, but very short. Rules not called evenly. Otherwise, talent level tends to be aimed more at beginners. Fun league.

Also know of HTBHL. Good, friendly group. Never played with them but it looked like a fun atmosphere.

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
I can vouch for the ottawaballhockey.com league. The games are at the Belltown dome near Brittania Park. The arena is perfect for ball hockey since it's about half the size of a regulation rink and has all the proper hockey markings, boards, glass etc.

It's a good, competitive league. It gets a bit chippy at times with some pushing and shoving, moreso than my ice hockey league, but that might be because my team is a bunch of knuckleheads.

Do i know you? I play there as well (orthodox horse). I like it because it is competitive. I also like that you can play without helmets. Only seen one stick to the face so far. The refs are decent. The dome is a great size but a pretty crap facility (leaky roof, very hot, in a rough area)

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Have played with Carleton and OSSC.

Carleton: the best of the three, IMO. Chippy but fun. Good talent level. Wide gyms, bring your own equipment (incl. wooden sticks.)

OSSC: Generally cool people. A couple of hotheads can ruin it very quickly though. Sticks are provided, but very short. Rules not called evenly. Otherwise, talent level tends to be aimed more at beginners. Fun league.

Also know of HTBHL. Good, friendly group. Never played with them but it looked like a fun atmosphere.

OSSC was cool, but some people have ruined it for me. If you're used to playing with your sticks, I don't recommend this league. Self officiated with an "Official" sitting in the corner only to drop the ball and to make sure we don't rip each others heads off.

They have this tag that they give you at the beginning of the season that can get you free wings and/or nachos if you have the right amount of people showing up at your local Royal Oaks.

More about the league; Require a minimum of 2 females on the court at all times (Can be placed in nets and have 3 guys in front - Something we didn't accomplish.) Great need of stamina here as the gyms are poorly aired/ventilated.

Fun time, just make sure you have a committed team and 3-4 females on the team at all time. As for me, will not resign with them. Would sub here and there though!

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Carleton is great. Relatively inexpensive and good fun non-competitive (but still tough) action.

Alumni get discounts too!

I'm going to the University of Ottawa and live right by the school. I have no car so I'll either be walking or relying on the bus. The intramurals at school all require full team sign-up and so do most the leagues!

Anyone know anything walking-ish distance or ~30mins or less bus ride for me? Where I can sign up as an individual.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm going to the University of Ottawa and live right by the school. I have no car so I'll either be walking or relying on the bus. The intramurals at school all require full team sign-up and so do most the leagues!

Anyone know anything walking-ish distance or ~30mins or less bus ride for me? Where I can sign up as an individual.

Carleton's less than a half hour by the shuttle bus and I believe you can do individual sign-ups. Otherwise, OSSC alternates between UofO and a handful of elementary schools, all within easy bus distance. And Algonquin also allows individual sign-ups, and the 95 will take you right there.

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
[mod]

Should also mention a great option are tournaments if you're not looking to commit to a league. HTBHL usually runs one every few months (sometimes co-ed, sometimes men's). A full day of games, usually a Saturday. I believe the one they ran with the Ottawa Senators was 2-day. Though they have run draft tournaments in the past you can almost always assemble your own team (or be placed as an individual if you prefer). Check their website/follow on facebook to know when the next tournament pops up, space usually fills pretty quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

FoppaForsberg*

Hey all, I'm moving to Ottawa in July and was wondering whats a good Ball hockey league for a guy in his early 20s is?

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Hey all, I'm moving to Ottawa in July and was wondering whats a good Ball hockey league for a guy in his early 20s is?

Yeah, I was actually wondering this too. The job I want (and I think I have a good chance at it) after graduating this spring is in Ottawa, and I will be looking to meet people. I figure a ball hockey league with people my age (21) would be a good place to do that.

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa

is it a move for good?

i played as an extra in gobha and i HIGHLY recommend it. problem is, it starts in april (ends in july), so you won't be able to join next year. if you're sticking around in ottawa for a while, you should check it out.

FoppaForsberg*

is it a move for good?

i played as an extra in gobha and i HIGHLY recommend it. problem is, it starts in april (ends in july), so you won't be able to join next year. if you're sticking around in ottawa for a while, you should check it out.

It's a move for at least 3 years, thanks for the tips everyone!

h2owned

Nov 17, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
I play in this league:

http://www.obbha.ca/index.php?lang=en

All the games are at Franco Cite high school (off St. Laurent).

If you play in the B it is the absolute worst. Tiny tiny gym 4 on 4 so you just get blasted by slapshots and 0 room to move. Also the refs suck and any slight contact they stop play and give the ball to the other team.
I'm sure its a lot better in the bigger gym in the A

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
If you play in the B it is the absolute worst. Tiny tiny gym 4 on 4 so you just get blasted by slapshots and 0 room to move. Also the refs suck and any slight contact they stop play and give the ball to the other team.
I'm sure its a lot better in the bigger gym in the A

Confirmed.

SensNation613

Dec 30, 2013
Ottawa
16 Year old looking to join a league, I live in the downtown area and would love to play a couple of times per week. Used to play in a gym and I was pretty good if I do say so myself :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00