OT: Ball Hockey Leagues in Ottawa

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
Another question - does anyone know of any more fun oriented leagues that play in or extremely near to Centretown?

Mike999

Colin Greening's BFF
Feb 20, 2007
Ottawa
www.esfclan.net
Plastic sticks and weird goalies...

Yeah, again, It's definitely not for everybody. If you're looking a true-to-game version of ball hockey, it's not for you.

To answer the above question, registration actually opens tomorrow, and all of the information you'll need will be posted online at around noon at ossc.ca. The "ottawa" leagues (which are all close to the downtown core) will play primarily at these schools in the city:Sainte Francois D'Assise, Ashbury College, Elmwood, and Philemon Wright across the bridge in Gatineau (5 min from downtown, I swearsies). You get your exact schedule for the entire 12 week season the week before the season starts.

Oh, plus, you get free nacho's if you go to the royal oak all season long (if you have 3 people at your table).

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Looks like you kids are going to have to compromise somewhere. A lot of these co-ed true-to-game leagues fill up fast and/or have waiting lists.

HTBHL

Jul 30, 2013
I forgot to include our website earlier, it's www.htbhl.com... although we have plenty of men team's, I want to ensure that people are aware of our coed league. This is with real balls, real sticks and real goalies. Wednesday nights (near Parkdale) is a draft league to ensure parity throughout, while Sunday's (in Orleans) you can sign up alone, in a group or full teams and select your divisions. We also have tournaments throughout the year including one on August 24th - Coed - Belltown dome, and we are also involved with the Guns and Hoses tournament on Sept 15 in collaboration with the Canadian Council of the Blind.

I have never played OBBHA but know they guys who run it and they are a good bunch. OFBHL is well ran, also a good guy. I've played OSSC and it's not for everyone. After playing that league, we started this one. The whole plastic sticks and soft ball were hard to get used to, but the social points is what was odd. You can win a game by score but lose out as the other team rates your social level. Although we were very nice and a super clean team we lost out on social points because we were a stronger team. This only happened a few times where teams couldn't handle the loss, so they would stick it to us that way. If the sticks, ball, social points, score and referee don't matter to you, then the OSSC is your perfect fit. It truly is a well ran organisation and offer plenty of different sports and can offer many nights and location to accommodate you as they have the gymnasium monopoly in the city!

In any event, if you would like the real coed ball hockey experience, with a controlled environment, stats and write-ups on every game, do not hesitate to contact us (our contact info can be found at www.htbhl.com). We have a range of talent within our league from players that have played for Team Canada, to players that have never played signing up for the first ever time! :handclap:

Mike999

Colin Greening's BFF
Feb 20, 2007
Ottawa
www.esfclan.net
Near parkdale you say? That's right near our office, and I truthfully play in other leagues aside from the one I'm employed for with OSSC. Color me intruiged. Is it the Hintonburg community centre you play out of?

Also, thanks for the plug. I'm confident you guys are a great league for the more serious folk, while we cater for the not-so-serious.

Kellogs

G'night Sweet Prince
Dec 23, 2008
Ottawa
From the list presented in this topic, there aren't any co-ed leagues with real sticks where you get to choose what team you're on. Plastic sticks aren't bad (you can even buy your own and bring them) and goalies have full equipment minus the pads and that's primarily to compensate for the smaller nets that are found at most of the gyms. The only bad thing I would say about OSSC ball hockey would be the balls that they use.

HTBHL

Jul 30, 2013
Near parkdale you say? That's right near our office, and I truthfully play in other leagues aside from the one I'm employed for with OSSC. Color me intruiged. Is it the Hintonburg community centre you play out of?

Also, thanks for the plug. I'm confident you guys are a great league for the more serious folk, while we cater for the not-so-serious.

Yes, we run men's at hintonbugh and coed at St-Francois D'assise!

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
It's too late for now, but for those interested HTBHL added a few leagues to the roster including Friday night co-ed in Nepean. It has basically everything we were looking for - co-ed, ability to sign up as an individual/with friends/full team, real sticks, and it's in a gorgeous, huge gym. Despite the teams being a bit unbalanced (to be expected in a non-draft league) it is very fun and well-run and will hopefully be back in the fall or winter!

To keep shililng for HTBHL, their summer 5on5 coed league (May-June and July-August) at Belldome should be gearing up for registration soon enough. Very well run, lots of fun, and it's a rink!

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
ball hockey team

Making a ball hockey team, me and 3 buddies already joined and want more people.

Www.ossc.ca

Assuming we're allowed to ask people? If not, remove this thread.

Bob Kudelski

Mar 8, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I can vouch for the ottawaballhockey.com league. The games are at the Belltown dome near Brittania Park. The arena is perfect for ball hockey since it's about half the size of a regulation rink and has all the proper hockey markings, boards, glass etc.

It's a good, competitive league. It gets a bit chippy at times with some pushing and shoving, moreso than my ice hockey league, but that might be because my team is a bunch of knuckleheads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad