OT: Ball Hockey Leagues in Ottawa

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
This can now serve as a general thread to discuss ball hockey leagues in Ottawa.

Hat Trick Ball Hockey (HTBHL) offers many different leagues in fall, winter, and summer throughout the city. Depending on the season and night they have pretty much every option - 5on5/4on4/3on3, men's/coed (hope to add women's in future), individual/group/team signup or draft. They track stats, have write-ups on the website etc.

Original Four Ball Hockey (OFBHL) is coed 4on4 and runs on Sunday mornings in Ottawa South. They track stats and have detailed write-ups, have season-end awards etc.

Ottawa Sport & Social Club is a fun and casual co-ed league that uses plastic sticks and a soft ball.

Some others:
http://www.obbha.ca/
http://www.ottawaballhockey.com/
www.petesballhockey.com
www.ottawafunsports.com

Last edited:

moz

Gute Post
Oct 30, 2006
Ottawa
Barring a miracle I don't think we can have all the important things (co-ed, able to play together, real sticks), but if we compromise on some demands (not the ones that say I can't play with my friends because I'm a girl) there might be hope.

HTBHL

Jul 30, 2013
Coed Ball Hockey

Hey folks.. Here's some info for you..

The only coed league in which you can use REAL sticks are MCL in Orleans Friday night ran by Luc, OFBHL Sunday mornings ran by Sean and HTBHL coed on Weds nights in west end as well as Sundays in Olreans.

The Wed HTBHL league, as well as MCL and OFBHL are draft based to ensure parity throughout the league.

The HTBHL Sunday league you can join alone, with friends or enter a full team.

I run the COED HTBHL leagues and I am good friends with Luc and Sean, so if you require more info, ask away!

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
Great to hear about all the interest in ball hockey in the Ottawa area. I am currently working out of Kitchener/Waterloo and am always looking for more places to play ball hockey. If anyone is playing in that area let me know!

Mike999

Colin Greening's BFF
Feb 20, 2007
Ottawa
www.esfclan.net
Howdy! I'm the marketing coordinator at OSSC - The Ottawa Sport & Social Club. We do the co-ed 5v5 but with the plastic & fibreglass sticks. Now, if you must play as close to ice hockey as possible, we definitely cannot help, but hopefully I can give a bit of a pitch anyhow!

Most people have heard of the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side"; well that's somewhat of the story of our floor hockey league. A lot of people come play with our league, then after a season or two look to play another league - generally to play single-sex ball hockey with refs and play more seriously. A funny thing seems to happen, though; they come back to play OSSC after playing in other leagues.

Hockey is a tough sport - and I don't think any league - OSSC or any of the leagues mentioned in this thread - will ever be the perfect league for everyone. We've tried out playing with real sticks and equipment in response to people wanting something more serious, but it does not work well in a co-ed setting (which is a pillar to OSSC - every league we run is co-ed). As is said by a lot of ice hockey commentators - more protection = more liberties taken, and we've seen it first hand where guys get far too in to the game and get too violent with female players who are 100 pounds lighter. Real sticks are also far more likely to break and cause pretty serious damage to exposed arms and legs.

Now, that said, the OSSC league is 100% for fun and NOT for everybody. If you want to take it seriously, it's not the league for you. There are no referees & we use the fibreglass sticks with plastic blades. That said, we have unparalleled league selection; you can play any night of the week & can play either in the green belt (the ottawa league), or in an orleans or kanata league. We also are definitely the most inclusive league in the city. I personally have many players on my personal teams who are in absolutely awful physical shape, but just love getting out and playing for fun.

Again, I wish there was something that worked best for everyone, and I know the league I work for is not 100% the answer. I personally am playing in an OSSC softball league, but also in a competitive softball league to get my competitive fix in - because I know OSSC doesn't provide it.

Anyways, if you have any questions I'm happy to answer any you (or others) might have!

EDIT: to add the closing pitch - our website is http://ossc.ca and registration for all the fall leagues we play opens on August 1st! We play over 20 different sports and have over 900 teams playing each week with us. We're Ottawa's largest and most fun co-ed recreational sport league provider in the city.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
That said, we have unparalleled league selection; you can play any night of the week & can play either in the green belt (the ottawa league), or in an orleans or kanata league. We also are definitely the most inclusive league in the city. I personally have many players on my personal teams who are in absolutely awful physical shape, but just love getting out and playing for fun.

Oh, there is a Kanata league? That might be worth it just to cut down on all the travel I usually do for ball hockey around the city.

Evil Crow

Jul 18, 2010
Howdy! I'm the marketing coordinator at OSSC - The Ottawa Sport & Social Club. We do the co-ed 5v5 but with the plastic & fibreglass sticks. Now, if you must play as close to ice hockey as possible, we definitely cannot help, but hopefully I can give a bit of a pitch anyhow!

Most people have heard of the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side"; well that's somewhat of the story of our floor hockey league. A lot of people come play with our league, then after a season or two look to play another league - generally to play single-sex ball hockey with refs and play more seriously. A funny thing seems to happen, though; they come back to play OSSC after playing in other leagues.

Hockey is a tough sport - and I don't think any league - OSSC or any of the leagues mentioned in this thread - will ever be the perfect league for everyone. We've tried out playing with real sticks and equipment in response to people wanting something more serious, but it does not work well in a co-ed setting (which is a pillar to OSSC - every league we run is co-ed). As is said by a lot of ice hockey commentators - more protection = more liberties taken, and we've seen it first hand where guys get far too in to the game and get too violent with female players who are 100 pounds lighter. Real sticks are also far more likely to break and cause pretty serious damage to exposed arms and legs.

Now, that said, the OSSC league is 100% for fun and NOT for everybody. If you want to take it seriously, it's not the league for you. There are no referees & we use the fibreglass sticks with plastic blades. That said, we have unparalleled league selection; you can play any night of the week & can play either in the green belt (the ottawa league), or in an orleans or kanata league. We also are definitely the most inclusive league in the city. I personally have many players on my personal teams who are in absolutely awful physical shape, but just love getting out and playing for fun.

Again, I wish there was something that worked best for everyone, and I know the league I work for is not 100% the answer. I personally am playing in an OSSC softball league, but also in a competitive softball league to get my competitive fix in - because I know OSSC doesn't provide it.

Anyways, if you have any questions I'm happy to answer any you (or others) might have!

EDIT: to add the closing pitch - our website is http://ossc.ca and registration for all the fall leagues we play opens on August 1st! We play over 20 different sports and have over 900 teams playing each week with us. We're Ottawa's largest and most fun co-ed recreational sport league provider in the city.

Thanks for the info. Where/when do the 'greenbelt' games occur?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->