Balancing your favorite and second favorite teams?

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Tampa is my second favorite but they are so totally far away from my love for the Blues that it really is irrelevant. I want the Blues to stomp them anytime they play. I'm surprised people have 2 teams they love equally.

Brodano75

Расмус Дахлин
Apr 12, 2015
Been a Sabres fan for years but I'm also a Flames fan as I have family there. Its not really an issue unless they play each other when id go for the Sabres every time. So with the Sabres being useless again this year its great the Flames are playing so well.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I only have one team I'll ever cheer for (not on that "cheer for Canadian teams wagon"). However, there are teams that I enjoy to watch which vary from year to year. This season it's Tampa, and as much as I hate to say it, Calgary (Gaudreau is just ridiculous with the puck and the plays he can make out of nothing are fun to watch).

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I also have the Sharks as my #2 team (to the #1 Islanders) and I don't activly follow them. Will catch as many of their games are on national television and then will watch in the playoffs. Wouldn't even call myself a fan, I just jump on their bandwagon every postseason.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am and always will be a fan of the Flames first, nothing beats the Flames winning. I hope I can see them go far in the playoffs this year.

I usually like to take a look at the local team that I live in just to keep up with them, so for the past 10 years living in Arizona I would cheer for the Coyotes. I was a huge avid watcher of them in 2012 when they went far in the playoffs and the Flames were just downright terrible, failing to accept a rebuild.

For me, wherever I live I will follow that team to a certain extent, but I wouldn't say that I absolute root for them. That is only held by the Flames.

arsenalgooner

Nov 2, 2011
I lived in 5 different places by the time I was 11, none of which was Chicago, and for some reason I became a diehard Hawks fan at an early age in the mid-80's living in New Jersey (I think I brought a Hawks pin home from a Devils game). But, I was born in Buffalo, and my dad is a huge Sabres fan, so despite living there for a total of about 18 months in the first two years of my life, the Sabres have always been my second team. Because of moving around so much I have two teams in a few sports- Phillies and Royals, Chiefs and Bills, Hawks and Sabres. So, I don't find it weird at all when people support more than one team.

And I root for the Sharks once the Hawks and Sabres are out because they were the NHL affiliate for the Kansas City Blades in the old IHL and we were Blades season ticket holders back in the day...

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Leafs and Predss are my two teams. I remember many years ago my friend asked me "BUT WHAT IF THEY MEET INT HE FINALS" and I laughed hysterically and said that won't happen in a million years but now I feel like it's as close to happening as it might ever will be and boy will my face be red if it does.

Leafs were my first love and got me into the game, I started cheering for the Preds in 2010-ish as an outlet because of all the Wings fans in my hometown (Windsor).

Love them both to death and glad they're my two teams. This season I've definitely been following the Preds more closely but I say I watch them both pretty evenly.
My two faves as well, Nashville for reasons associated with a bus trip I took to Texas their inaugural year. Got stranded in Nashville and the rest was history. Been a fan ever since. Been a Leafs fan since birth.

Don't really cheer for anyone else but live to cheer against the Wings (grew up in Chatham), Bruins, Sens and Habs.
Don't even know anyone else exists. ;)

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
When I'm not watching my favorite team I'm simply watching hockey, I don't really seek out teams due to favoritism, I have players I like and I tend to gravitate toward those teams when they are on. But, I'm not emotionally invested in any other team.

Reactions: Sushiko

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
I live in Phoenix so I do like the Coyotes, I love live hockey so I often go and cheer for them. I watch a lot of hockey, and when the blues are out I do have my preferences, like blue jackets, lightning... but 2nd fave not sure. I have teams I like and don’t like.... teams I like to watch and teams I don’t care to. I watch a lot of sharks thanks to family/in-laws. I just like to have hockey on regardless.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
When I was a kid and watching TONS of hockey, I had a second favorite team (and third), but as an adult, having less time, and not the same obsession with the sport, that second favorite team fell by the wayside. The third team doesn't exist anymore.

Now there are just teams I want to see do better than others. Once the playoffs start I'll root for my favorite team, but once they're out i'll just become a fan of the sport and root for whoever i like more in a particular playoff series.

Of note, if your second favorite team ever beats your favorite team in the Stanley Cup Finals, you'll forever hate that team, even if you get to see one of your former coaches hoist the cup.

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
Capitals fan still looking for a second team and not sure where to start on the search.

Floated my second team would be where I'm living later on, but I live in Western PA so I can't do that :laugh:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I know a couple guys who play so I cheer for their teams when theyre not playing detroit. Without knowing them I couldnt imagine cheering for a second team though. Maybe come playoff time I would hope for someone to win the finals if I hated the other team in it or something but couldnt imagine following them and actually giving a shit

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I know a couple guys who play so I cheer for their teams when theyre not playing detroit. Without knowing them I couldnt imagine cheering for a second team though. Maybe come playoff time I would hope for someone to win the finals if I hated the other team in it or something but couldnt imagine following them and actually giving a shit

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Started as a Sabres fan, too young to remember ever making the decision in the mid-70's. Anyway, my favorite player was Barrasso. He got dealt to Pittsburgh so I started to cheer/follow them. This was the late 80's with Coffey, Lemieux, Barrasso, et al. The Cup years happened and Pittsburgh had added Jagr and really usurped Buffalo (who were constantly trading away guys I liked-Barrasso, Housley, Turgeon, Mogilny) for me.

Currently, Pittsburgh is #1 with Buffalo #1b. They've only met once in the playoffs (2001) and I really didn't enjoy the series. I thought Buffalo would have a better chance against Jersey but the Pens won and lost to the Devils in five. Even when the Sabres were really good 2006-2007 I still pulled more for Pittsburgh.

Normally, I would make fun of guys with two favorite teams, but until you've been there...

My Best-Carey

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Like others, I balance my favorite team being the one I grew up pulling for (Boston) with the one I see live the most (Dallas).

It's not really an issue as they only play each other twice a year. I'm OK with either winning, especially if one needs the points more. Seguin's OT winner in Boston last year was a work of art.

I only post at the Bruins' board though, as I don't know if there's a board "Code" about posting in multiple team forums.

Last edited:

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
I can't agree with the "can't support 2 teams in the same league mentality". Mostly because east and west are hardly in the same league. They can't meet in the playoffs, except for the finals and the chance that happens isn't that big.

That being said, it is not that I always like being a Leafs fan. They can stress me, they can let me keep pondering and over think stuff. Their decisions can keep me restless.... Like Steve Dangles titles his book "this team is ruin my life". I have tried to not being a Leafs fan, but it was too hard. Like Steve also mentions "... but I love them".

At first the idea to support another team (for me in another conference) seemed nice. I searched and searched and tried some teams, but they just didn't reached the level (for me) the Leafs are at. I lost interest, very soon. Untill I let everything go and accepted my team in the West as "the other one". Now I also love them and they also ruin my life at times. The idea of another team was based on "without too much stress just chill and in a relaxing way watch their games" but it backfired. Now I love them both and somewhere I wished I never started searching, but deep down inside, I love it all.

Just support whoever you like to support. No one is getting paid for being a fan. As long as you find a balance somewhere.

Last edited:

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
I'm a Pittsburgh fan (where my family is from) and therefore a Penguin fan. I live 2 1/2 miles from the Hurricanes' House. I pull for the Hurricanes unless they are playing the Pens or are in a tight race with the Pens for the last playoff spot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad