Balancing your favorite and second favorite teams?

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Just wondering what others' attitudes were to this..

Sabres are my first love, hometown team, and they'll always come first. If they're in the race/playoffs, that's it, that's who I root for. Everything else is periphery.

But they're trash this year and look fully out of the playoff race. Even if they go on a miraculous tear I just don't see much happening this year.

So I root for my second favorite team, the Sharks. I'm a bit less passionate about them, but for the rest of the year when I flip on a game it'll likely be Sharks. When playoffs roll around I'll be all-in for the Sharks to win, followed by teams I kinda like (Flames) and rooting against teams I dislike (Leafs).

Just wondering how others do it, cause I make kinda a hard switch that might be considered somewhat bandwagonish. I figure the reality is it isn't Buffalo's year, I spent time in SJ and legit love that team, but as long as both have a shot I gotta stick with Buffalo. I now know that ain't happening this year, so I'll pick the second prettiest girl at the ball, so to speak. Thoughts?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

Sabres are my first love, hometown team, and they'll always come first. If they're in the race/playoffs, that's it, that's who I root for. Everything else is periphery.

But they're trash this year and look fully out of the playoff race. Even if they go on a miraculous tear I just don't see much happening this year.

So I root for my second favorite team, the Sharks. I'm a bit less passionate about them, but for the rest of the year when I flip on a game it'll likely be Sharks. When playoffs roll around I'll be all-in for the Sharks to win, followed by teams I kinda like (Flames) and rooting against teams I dislike (Leafs).

Just wondering how others do it, cause I make kinda a hard switch that might be considered somewhat bandwagonish. I figure the reality is it isn't Buffalo's year, I spent time in SJ and legit love that team, but as long as both have a shot I gotta stick with Buffalo. I now know that ain't happening this year, so I'll pick the second prettiest girl at the ball, so to speak. Thoughts?
I don't normally start watching a second team till playoffs start otherwise I watch the oilers lose till the end of the year

. But I don't see a problem with it, if you're a fan of hockey it's nice to cheer for a team that still has a shot.

Reactions: Fearnot

Medvescak

Kid Calder
Mar 22, 2018
Could never understand the second favourite team thing. As a young boy I fell in love with the isles in the early 80s.
When they are eliminated from playoffs or playoff contention (and that’s happened quite a bit in my time) I usually root for the underdogs that are left, unless they are the Rangers or Pens or Leafs. Even if that “second favourite “ team wins it doesn’t give me even .5% of the joy I’d feel for an islander victory. Wouldn’t have it any other way I guess.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
"second team"

source.gif

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Could never understand the second favourite team thing. As a young boy I fell in love with the isles in the early 80s.
When they are eliminated from playoffs or playoff contention (and that’s happened quite a bit in my time) I usually root for the underdogs that are left, unless they are the Rangers or Pens or Leafs. Even if that “second favourite “ team wins it doesn’t give me even .5% of the joy I’d feel for an islander victory. Wouldn’t have it any other way I guess.
I hear ya. I don’t have a consistent second favorite team. But, year by year, there’s a team from the west that I end up liking. It’s usually because of a certain player. This year I like the flames. Just because of Travis Hamonic. I would feel no particular happiness in them winning the cup, but it’s good to have some interest in the late games.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I love the Devils to death, I played defense growing up and watching the Devils play actually had an influence on my game... although still I was terrible. I can appreciate any defensive structured team but I think it would be awesome to see a cup in Canada so I'm willing to support all of the Canadian teams. I'm moving to Edmonton next year and plan on going to most games, hopefully they turn it around soon because they have a very passionate fanbase.

Medvescak

Kid Calder
Mar 22, 2018
I hear ya. I don’t have a consistent second favorite team. But, year by year, there’s a team from the west that I end up liking. It’s usually because of a certain player. This year I like the flames. Just because of Travis Hamonic. I would feel no particular happiness in them winning the cup, but it’s good to have some interest in the late games.
If I had to pick ,Flames would be it cuz of Hamonic. Happy that the trade worked for them/us. Miss the hammer.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Having a second team is like having both a wife and a girlfriend.

In other words, not good!

It's called a goomah, and in my culture ain't a thing wrong with it.

I'm from NY and grew up as a Isles fan as a youngster. Those memories and my love for that team will never leave.

Now I've lived in the Tampa Bay area for a long time and love the Bolts and have been to more important games, and games period, for them. Despite this I can't just say the Isles aren't my favorite team anymore.

During regular season games I wear Isles stuff to the games in Tampa. In the playoffs I usually just wear Bolts stuff as I feel it's a respect thing in the home arena for the playoffs, but in my heart I still want the Isles to win. Sometimes I'll wear an Isles hat with the Bolts jersey.

This bothers so many people, a ton on the Bolts forum on here too. I don't give a damn. I like both teams and that doesn't change my passion for either. At this point in my life they are about equal in terms of my passion, though the Isles have a slight edge. I don't care if it bothers people or they think it's wrong. I can like more than one team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I live and die with the Blues.

I don't have a 2nd team that I routinely pay attention to.

If I have to root for someone else, I don't mind seeing Calgary do well. But it's nowhere near a worry of mine if they don't.

Reactions: brokeu91

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Flames are my ride or die but I have followed NJ since I was like 8 years old. They will always be my second team. It helps immensely that they are in the opposite conference.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
I have one team (Penguins). But I watch a ton of hockey, and in every game I have a team I like over the other. Hockey is more exciting when you have a rooting interest. Sometimes it changes, but there are definitely teams I like and follow (Ducks) while there are teams I despise (and still follow - Kings, Sharks, Caps).

Pizza the Hutt

Game 6 Truther
Mar 22, 2012
Flames fan - my second team is not really a second team but I have affection for the Habs. Not much balance needed but I will root for them, especially in the playoffs.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I have other teams that interest me but i would classify myself as a follower of them rather than a fan. Even though i'd prefer they succeeded in the postseason if/when they lose it doesn't bum me out.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I gained my love for the game through Anaheim, but I moved to Las Vegas when I was like 12.

I've always wanted the city to get a professional sports team and was really glad that when they finally did, it was a hockey team.

After the Mandalay Bay shooting and seeing how the city came together around their love for the new team I couldn't help but fall for the Golden Knights too.

I know some view it as sacrilege but I would never turn back on my lifelong team but support the Knights just as much. Essentially to me, my hopes of success for Anaheim will always supersede that of the Knights but if Vegas does better I would have no problem with it. It's 1a/1b and my year to year hope would always be that the division finishes 1 Anaheim 2 Vegas. Plus I still get to hate LA and San Jose as a fan of both.

Last edited:
Reactions: vshun and NinjaKick

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017

Thats me but 1st is Islanders and 2nd is Devils

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
It’s easy really, my first team is so f***ing terrible and frustrating, my second team is the only team I want to look at

Reactions: Sparkzuk

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I’m a big Bruins fan, but there are other teams I like to see win as long as its not against the Bruins.

I root for the Senators, Jets, and Oilers as kind of my “other favorites.” The Sens and Oilers are underdogs, and the Jets fans deserve a winning team after they had Jets 1.0 snatched away. They deserve a championship.

Also, if the Quebec Nordiques came back, they would easily be my second favorite team. For no other reason than their rivalry with the Canadiens.

Reactions: NinjaKick

NHL WAR

Sep 29, 2018
Teams I would like to see win:
Leafs

Vegas, San Jose, Chicago, Winnipeg, Pittsburgh, Florida, Calgary

22 assorted NHL teams

Toronto Marlies
London Knights
Any other amateur hockey team

Timbuktu National Water polo club

Boston Bruins

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I'm the same way. I have a favourite team from each conference (Sabres, Sharks) that stretches back to when I first started getting in to hockey. I cheer for them to go as far as possible, and if they ever played each other in the finals, it'd be for the Sabres. But either way, I'm not being disappointed. At least it's nothing like baseball, where I'm an Indians fan first, followed by the Blue Jays. So that ALCS was interesting, to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->