Balanced scoring

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Obviously the season hasn't started as envisioned, and there are likely several reasons why. However, I believe the one glaring thing (aside from Varlamov's generally mediocre play) is that amongst the top 3 lines, only 3 guys are scoring goals and only 2 guys are scoring at even strength.

After 7 games, only 7 players on the entire team have scored a goal, two of them are on the 4th line, and one is a defenseman. So 5 of the teams' top 9 forwards have yet to score, and only 3 of the teams' top 9 forwards have scored at least once at even strength (and one of them - Iginla - has only that one ES goal).

Put another way, two 4th line guys (Mitchell and Skille) have as many ES goals as the rest of the roster.

IMO, the failure of the team corresponds with the failure of the Duchene/Soderberg lines to produce anything at ES. Fix that, and the team will start winning games.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
5v5 we haven't been good, but I am not really worried since that will ultimately come. Might come in game 67, but it will come. I would be more scared of horrible special teams since that could have dramatic implications on your team for the future than being below 5v5 to start the year.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs might need to separate Landeskog and MacKinnon at some point to get the other guys going.

In the off-season, we heard so much about Landeskog and Soderberg's chemistry, and how the line of Tanguay - MacKinnon - Grigorenko was unstoppable in camp. Despite the team's struggles, we haven't seen these players together.

Mix and match. If nothing else gives, acquire someone. No reason to be conservative.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
There's no trade to be had right now, certainly not one that'd fix what ails this squad. And any major deal would either cost a roster player or prospect/pick, or both. Not the time to be doing that unless some megastar talent suddenly became available.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
No reason? Just give up assets for a season that's going nowhere no matter what?

If you're responding to my post, then excuse me, but this is an insulting reply. I said nothing of the sort.

There are 75(!) games left and the Avs should have a pretty good idea if they have adequate secondary scoring within the next 15 or so. After being so aggressive in the off-season, the Avalanche should not ignore an obvious need.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
The problem, IMO, is not the personnel, or balanced scoring.

The problem is the coaching.

#FireRoy (I loved him his first year, but he's completely lost this team this year)

Tanguay and Iginla are floating around out there, not hitting, competing, puck battles, nothing. And Roy is letting it happen.

Duchene has lost his confidence because no one on his line is competing for pucks or moving their feet, and he's getting all the flak for it. He's lost any and all chemistry with Iginla, and Roy is still keeping them together.

Guenin and Holden (admittedly a little better this season) are still the go to guys for the bottom pairings on defence... WHY ROY???

Honestly, IMO, this team could win a Cup in a couple years if the following things happen:

1) The avs draft top 5 this season and draft a game-changer (Jakob Chychrun would be my pick)
2) They fire Roy in the Off-season and hire a really good coach. One who plays with a system. Maybe Claude Julien??? if Boston fires him...
3) Trade Iginla, let Tanguay retire, trade Stuart.
4) Get rid of Holden and Guenin, replace them with home-grown defense prospects (Bigras, Siemens? Wood?, Meloche?)
5) Rantanen gets a full year in the AHL to develop confidence and learn the NA game. He develops into a great player.
6) A couple of our tertiary prospects become solid NHers. (Bleackley, Greer, Compher, Everberg, Aggozzino, Hishon)
7) Refrain from making any high-price signings.

If these things happen. We have a chance. We have good players. We have good pieces. We don't have a good game-plan heading into every game. That has to change.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, the only scoring forward I think might be available right now is Bobby Ryan, and he'd cost quite a bit in terms of assets for a trade. He also brings with him a pretty sizable cap hit. And

Right now the biggest reasons behind scoring woes are:

1. Tanguay and Iginla are struggling mightily

2. Seemingly every single player is shooting as accurately as a drunken Imperial Stormtrooper.

3. The talent is in the system, but terribly, terribly young.

4. Both Barrie and EJ have had less-than-stellar starts to the season.

I think those problems can/will right themselves, especially the shooting problem. But now or in the next 10-15 games from now I don't think is the time to seek a trade.

StLAvsFan

Feb 8, 2015
If you're responding to my post, then excuse me, but this is an insulting reply. I said nothing of the sort.

There are 75(!) games left and the Avs should have a pretty good idea if they have adequate secondary scoring within the next 15 or so. After being so aggressive in the off-season, the Avalanche should not ignore an obvious need.

The biggest need the Avs have right now is for these guys to learn how to properly defend as 5-man units and how to get the puck out of their own end. I'll not deny that the Avs have problems on the offensive side of the puck too, but until they sort out their glaring deficiencies defensively, they're going nowhere in this division.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
The problem, IMO, is not the personnel, or balanced scoring.

The problem is the coaching.

#FireRoy (I loved him his first year, but he's completely lost this team this year)

Tanguay and Iginla are floating around out there, not hitting, competing, puck battles, nothing. And Roy is letting it happen.

Duchene has lost his confidence because no one on his line is competing for pucks or moving their feet, and he's getting all the flak for it. He's lost any and all chemistry with Iginla, and Roy is still keeping them together.

Guenin and Holden (admittedly a little better this season) are still the go to guys for the bottom pairings on defence... WHY ROY???

Honestly, IMO, this team could win a Cup in a couple years if the following things happen:

1) The avs draft top 5 this season and draft a game-changer (Jakob Chychrun would be my pick)
2) They fire Roy in the Off-season and hire a really good coach. One who plays with a system. Maybe Claude Julien??? if Boston fires him...
3) Trade Iginla, let Tanguay retire, trade Stuart.
4) Get rid of Holden and Guenin, replace them with home-grown defense prospects (Bigras, Siemens? Wood?, Meloche?)
5) Rantanen gets a full year in the AHL to develop confidence and learn the NA game. He develops into a great player.
6) A couple of our tertiary prospects become solid NHers. (Bleackley, Greer, Compher, Everberg, Aggozzino, Hishon)
7) Refrain from making any high-price signings.

If these things happen. We have a chance. We have good players. We have good pieces. We don't have a good game-plan heading into every game. That has to change.

I mean as little offense as possible, but you have a very EA NHL thought process here

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Well, the only scoring forward I think might be available right now is Bobby Ryan, and he'd cost quite a bit in terms of assets for a trade. He also brings with him a pretty sizable cap hit. And

Right now the biggest reasons behind scoring woes are:

1. Tanguay and Iginla are struggling mightily

2. Seemingly every single player is shooting as accurately as a drunken Imperial Stormtrooper.

3. The talent is in the system, but terribly, terribly young.

4. Both Barrie and EJ have had less-than-stellar starts to the season.

I think those problems can/will right themselves, especially the shooting problem. But now or in the next 10-15 games from now I don't think is the time to seek a trade.

4 reasons listed and I don't see Duchene. We have a $6m, Olympic gold medal winning player who is consistently complete garbage out there. Call his linemates scrubs, but he makes them worse. Iginla scores on the PP, why can't Duchene ever get him the puck?

We have tons of reasons on why the offense sucks, but there's a clear one; for the first time in 6 years, we have 1 center who is capable of scoring. That's alarming.

Edit: Yes, Malkin is scoring. That doesn't count. I mean that Duchene/Soderberg are irrelevant for 90% of the time they're out there.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
I mean as little offense as possible, but you have a very EA NHL thought process here

lol

I don't think it's a very EA NHL mind-set.

EA GMs would trade a bunch of half-decent players for stamkos.

I'm suggesting good drafting, good development, promotion from within, and hiring a good coach, while also letting our hangers-on retire/get traded away.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
lol

I don't think it's a very EA NHL mind-set.

EA GMs would trade a bunch of half-decent players for stamkos.

I'm suggesting good drafting, good development, promotion from within, and hiring a good coach, while also letting our hangers-on retire/get traded away.

Well I agree with this, but I don't think your suggestions in your first post get us there

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
4 reasons listed and I don't see Duchene. We have a $6m, Olympic gold medal winning player who is consistently complete garbage out there. Call his linemates scrubs, but he makes them worse. Iginla scores on the PP, why can't Duchene ever get him the puck?

We have tons of reasons on why the offense sucks, but there's a clear one; for the first time in 6 years, we have 1 center who is capable of scoring. That's alarming.

Edit: Yes, Malkin is scoring. That doesn't count. I mean that Duchene/Soderberg are irrelevant for 90% of the time they're out there.

I see what you're saying and you have a point. A 6m center like Duchene is capable of more than 1 or 2 points in the first month of the season.

Having said that, personally, I don't lay the blame on him. This team has no break-out, no cycle, no system and plays at least 2/3 of every game in their own zone. His linemates are not skating, not fighting along the boards for pucks, and not getting open or moving their feet. How is he supposed to get Iginla the puck when they can't even get across the blueline? Sometimes, they dump it in, but his wingers aren't going in there to battle for the puck in the corners. I've honestly seen better effort from Duchene the past two games than 90% of the team. Yes, he could be stronger, and yes he gets knocked off the puck alot, and yes he spins too much, and yes he does not have chemistry with Iginla. But chemistry is a 2-way thing. The responsibility is not all on Duchene. This team scores on the PP because they know it's probably their only opportunity in the offensive zone for the rest of the period. The high PP% is not going to last all year, and when it falls, this team is in trouble.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
Well I agree with this, but I don't think your suggestions in your first post get us there

1) The avs draft top 5 this season and draft a game-changer (Jakob Chychrun would be my pick) good drafting
2) They fire Roy in the Off-season and hire a really good coach. One who plays with a system. Maybe Claude Julien??? if Boston fires him... Hire a good coach
3) Trade Iginla, let Tanguay retire, trade Stuart. Let hangers-on retire or get traded
4) Get rid of Holden and Guenin, replace them with home-grown defense prospects (Bigras, Siemens? Wood?, Meloche?) Promoting from within
5) Rantanen gets a full year in the AHL to develop confidence and learn the NA game. He develops into a great player. Good development
6) A couple of our tertiary prospects become solid NHers. (Bleackley, Greer, Compher, Everberg, Aggozzino, Hishon) Good development
7) Refrain from making any high-price signings. I've got nothing for this one

So what about my suggestions do you disagree with?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I don't see how that's insulting, it's not my intent. But how does one acquire additional pieces without giving up something? A team that's been so asset poor and just now are starting to see glimmers of hope in the prospect pool should give that up for a quick fix? This team isn't going to contend no matter if they turn things around it not. I'd love to have more wing depth but it is what it is. The last thing they should do is make a short term move.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
1) The avs draft top 5 this season and draft a game-changer (Jakob Chychrun would be my pick) good drafting
2) They fire Roy in the Off-season and hire a really good coach. One who plays with a system. Maybe Claude Julien??? if Boston fires him... Hire a good coach
3) Trade Iginla, let Tanguay retire, trade Stuart. Let hangers-on retire or get traded
4) Get rid of Holden and Guenin, replace them with home-grown defense prospects (Bigras, Siemens? Wood?, Meloche?) Promoting from within
5) Rantanen gets a full year in the AHL to develop confidence and learn the NA game. He develops into a great player. Good development
6) A couple of our tertiary prospects become solid NHers. (Bleackley, Greer, Compher, Everberg, Aggozzino, Hishon) Good development

There's nothing wrong with these suggestions except for the fact that it will take 2-3 years to implement them.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I don't see how that's insulting, it's not my intent. But how does one acquire additional pieces without giving up something? A team that's been so asset poor and just now are starting to see glimmers of hope in the prospect pool should give that up for a quick fix? This team isn't going to contend no matter if they turn things around it not. I'd love to have more wing depth but it is what it is. The last thing they should do is make a short term move.

I found it so because only someone very silly would think it's a good idea for Colorado to move assets during a lost season. But back to the discussion.

Outside of Rantanen I don't think Colorado has many forward prospects knocking on the door. Because of that, if secondary scoring is a problem now, it means it will be next year too unless changes are made.

I'm hoping the solution is internal, but if it's not, an acquisition of someone who can help both now and into the future would be a good move in my opinion.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO

1. Sucking so hard you get a top 5 draft pick isn't an example of good drafting. Hitting in the later rounds is and it takes years for them to develop. I desperately do not want another top 5 draft pick. That would be far more bitter than sweet.

2. I still want to see how this season plays out before I join the Roy lynch mob. The distinction between a good and bad coach seems so arbitrary. Coaches that are considered good have had seasons where their team struggled. John Tortorella has won a Stanely Cup. Bill Belichick was fired from the Cleveland Browns. I think it is more complicated than just hiring a 'good coach'.

3. No one would trade for Stuart. I'm not sure how many teams would trade for Iginla if he keeps playing the way he has and assuming we get a taker, when do we trade Iginla? This deadline? Next year's? Before the start of next season?

4. I'm all for getting rid of Holden and Guenin, but how? Meloche and Wood are years out and Siemens is a complete unknown at this point.

5. I would argue he doesn't need the full year in the AHL, that development is different for each player, and that if he keeps playing like he did last Saturday, he won't get the full year.

6. We'd be lucky to get a top 6 forward out of that bunch. Still they are good depth players.

7. If we don't draft top 5 again, and instead get a kid that is a few years out, I don't see a problem with a high-price signing, assuming of course it fits with our cap structure. We don't exactly have any top notch forward prospects, and we have to get another top 6 forward somehow.

Every team wants a good coach, good drafting, and good development. It is just more difficult than going down a check list. I think a lot of things have to go right for the top teams to be where they are.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Can't disagree with much of that.

It's really the dichotomy of feeling the frustration of the now but feeling still satisfied with the overall direction. I really don't know what could easily make them better now. Another player, a new coach, getting rid of someone, someone playing better. If I could have just one thing with a magic wish I don't even know what I would pick.

FreshFitted67

Jun 28, 2010
Tibet
www.kitchen.com
1. Sucking so hard you get a top 5 draft pick isn't an example of good drafting. Hitting in the later rounds is and it takes years for them to develop. I desperately do not want another top 5 draft pick. That would be far more bitter than sweet.

2. I still want to see how this season plays out before I join the Roy lynch mob. The distinction between a good and bad coach seems so arbitrary. Coaches that are considered good have had seasons where their team struggled. John Tortorella has won a Stanely Cup. Bill Belichick was fired from the Cleveland Browns. I think it is more complicated than just hiring a 'good coach'.

3. No one would trade for Stuart. I'm not sure how many teams would trade for Iginla if he keeps playing the way he has and assuming we get a taker, when do we trade Iginla? This deadline? Next year's? Before the start of next season?

4. I'm all for getting rid of Holden and Guenin, but how? Meloche and Wood are years out and Siemens is a complete unknown at this point.

5. I would argue he doesn't need the full year in the AHL, that development is different for each player, and that if he keeps playing like he did last Saturday, he won't get the full year.

6. We'd be lucky to get a top 6 forward out of that bunch. Still they are good depth players.

7. If we don't draft top 5 again, and instead get a kid that is a few years out, I don't see a problem with a high-price signing, assuming of course it fits with our cap structure. We don't exactly have any top notch forward prospects, and we have to get another top 6 forward somehow.

Every team wants a good coach, good drafting, and good development. It is just more difficult than going down a check list. I think a lot of things have to go right for the top teams to be where they are.

I agree with almost everything you said, so it's funny that we're arguing. :laugh: *DEBATING*

1. Yes it's going to be bittersweet to be drafting in the top 5 again, but we have to be realistic about where this club is. This club is not a trade away from being a contender. This club is going to be in the very basement of our division. I know it's early to say that, but that's the truth and it is what it is.

2. Yes it's hard to tell a good coach from a bad one. I thought Roy was the saviour of the avalanche in his first season. He is a great motivator, extremely passionate, and inspirational. The problem is, he's never coached a good system. His first year was an example of a talented motivator getting the absolute most out of the players he was given. But this year, no one looks motivated, Roy looks worried and unsure of himself. The players look frustrated. He was a great coach, but he's lost the team, and he's making poor decisions - see Guenin, Holden still in, Duchene+Iginla still together, no breakouts, no cycle etc. I like Roy and I wish he could change his coaching style and he'd play a defensive system, but he's stubborn and that's not going to happen so it's time for him to go... (this might drag out because it's awkward to fire one of the all-time greats of your organization) Hiring a GOOD coach is a tough thing to do. It's hit and miss. Sometimes, good coaches just don't gel with a team. Sometimes, they do. Coaches are like players, sometimes they have good years, sometimes they have bad years. All you can do is go through the hiring process and hire someone you believe has the right stuff.

3.You're probably right, no one will trade for Stuart. Maybe, by some magic we can ship him off somewhere for a 6th or 7th round pick (wishful thinking). Iginla is still trade-able. I don't know when is the best time... maybe at this year's deadline. maybe next year's deadline. Whenever you get a good offer. He's a rental at this point of his career for a playoff team looking to make a run.

4. Gormley, Bigras, and even Redmond might be good options. Or a cheap signing.

5. Maybe he'll get called up again, but I wish he wouldn't. I see him like Draisaitl. Let's stop being Edmonton and throwing our prospects into the fire when they're not ready yet. I know the NHL has recently brought up lots of 18 year olds with good success, but I don't think it's the right way to go. Rantanen did lots of good little things while he was up here, but he certainly didn't look comfortable or confident. Let him gain some confidence and learn the North American game with good coaching, good linemates and a good system in San Antonio. Plus he'll get more ice-time. Edmonton and Colorado have a similar habit of throwing 18 year old draft picks to the wolves by putting them in the NHL and expecting them to produce, and even lead poorly coached and poorly managed clubs against Huge, Seasoned, Mature, Veteran, Established talented hockey clubs (THE ENTIRE WESTERN CONFERENCE).

6. You're right they're probably only going to be depth players. Great teams still need good depth players.

7. That's true. There are exceptions to every rule, and we will have to make signings at some point, but as a general principle I hope the management stays away from high-priced signings. They can seriously cripple a team for years to come. Look at Clarkson's deal in Toronto for example. Let's hope Soderberg doesn't turn into that. I don't think he's been as bad as everyone is saying but for 4.75m you want to see some points.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We are Edmonton because Landeskog and MacKinnon were played at 18, both considered NHL ready by many? I'd say there is more evidence to the contrary when all we hear about is when are the kids going to play. Rantanen is different than many because of the pro experience he has and the maturity in his game. He's not going to need a full year and we likely won't have that luxury.

MonsterMack

Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Can't disagree with much of that.

It's really the dichotomy of feeling the frustration of the now but feeling still satisfied with the overall direction. I really don't know what could easily make them better now. Another player, a new coach, getting rid of someone, someone playing better. If I could have just one thing with a magic wish I don't even know what I would pick.

Very much this.

I agree with almost everything you said, so it's funny that we're arguing. :laugh: *DEBATING*

Oh I hope I didn't come across as too disagreeable. We seem to agree on much. I'm just ever the optimist. I defended Josh McDaniels for far too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad