Prospect Info: Bakersfield Condors '23-'24 Thread

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Which UFAs are those?

The guys who likely have to go this dinner have some term left on their deals.
The only AHL vet type guys who have term left for next year are Pederson, Caggiula and Gleason. They could stand to add a right shot Gleason type dman to play down there since the defense pool is a little thin for next year but up front it’d be really nice to see them let the kids have at it. Stefan and Stonehouse are coming in from junior, and at this point you’d like to see what guys like Borgault, Tullio, Savoie etc can do with more minutes down there.

Reactions: Dazed and Confused

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
The only AHL vet type guys who have term left for next year are Pederson, Caggiula and Gleason. They could stand to add a right shot Gleason type dman to play down there since the defense pool is a little thin for next year but up front it’d be really nice to see them let the kids have at it. Stefan and Stonehouse are coming in from junior, and at this point you’d like to see what guys like Borgault, Tullio, Savoie etc can do with more minutes down there.
At this point, I think it'd be smarter to bring in a really good AHL veteran center to go with Pederson. It's pretty obvious none of the guys down there are going to be impact line drivers at the NHL level. Guys like Tullio and Bourgault have had more than month long stretches on the 1st line in Bako, so their results aren't due to a lack of ice time. Their ticket to the show will be as complementary wingers, so might as well develop them in that role.

I'd keep a guy like Malone around too. No doubt he's been a big influence on guys like Grubbe and Philp possibly becoming bottom six centers in the future.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Which UFAs are those?

The guys who likely have to go this dinner have some term left on their deals.

Almost half of Barkersfield's forwards are 28+ and UFA with Gags, Erne, Malone, McKegg, and Griffith.
Holland loaded up on as many vets for this year's playoff push as he could, to the point where the OIl basically have a lineup of quality spares.

Holloway-Carrick/Ryan-Gags
Broberg-Stecher
Campbell

Not to mention Hamblin, Cags, Pederson, Lavoie, Griffith, Malone, and Erne, who are all at least decent AAAA options at this point.

But all of this came at the expense of kids up front getting ice time though.

As @BarDownBobo mentioned, only Cags and Pederson are signed going into next year, and I wouldn't expect that to change much. I can see those two being the vets driving the offence, surrounded by a fairly young supporting cast. Think...

Cags-Pederson-Bourgault
Petrov-Hamblin-Tullio
Savoie-Grubbe-Wright

With Philp, Burglund, Chiasson, Stonehouse, and possibly Määttä, Mazura, and/or Berezkin trying to break into that group.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Almost half of Barkersfield's forwards are 28+ and UFA with Gags, Erne, Malone, McKegg, and Griffith.
Holland loaded up on as many vets for this year's playoff push as he could, to the point where the OIl basically have a lineup of quality spares.

Holloway-Carrick/Ryan-Gags
Broberg-Stecher
Campbell

Not to mention Hamblin, Cags, Pederson, Lavoie, Griffith, Malone, and Erne, who are all at least decent AAAA options at this point.

But all of this came at the expense of kids up front getting ice time though.

As @BarDownBobo mentioned, only Cags and Pederson are signed going into next year, and I wouldn't expect that to change much. I can see those two being the vets driving the offence, surrounded by a fairly young supporting cast. Think...

Cags-Pederson-Bourgault
Petrov-Hamblin-Tullio
Savoie-Grubbe-Wright

With Philp, Burglund, Chiasson, Stonehouse, and possibly Määttä, Mazura, and/or Berezkin trying to break into that group.
I misread the post. I was assuming by UFAs he was talking about the NHL roster.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I think Malone's a lifer and if it was me, I'd have one of Gagner or Griffith there, Griffith if I had my choice. I'd opt for the veteran/good center over Griffith, but for the first time in a while, I think we're okay down the middle with Pedersen - Philp - Grubbe - and say, Malone. Not great, but okay.

I'm tired of the veteran lines though. I died a lil every time I saw Caggiula - Pedersen - Griffith together.

Savoie - Pedersen - Bourgault
Tullio - Philp - Griffith
Caggiula - Grubbe - Petrov

Since we're talking about Bako futures, Petrov may be the most important prospect we have if it means a better transition across the pond for his comrades. Give him a Top-6 taste near the end of next season, keep him excited and content, and get the welcome mat out for Beryozkin and Yevseyev.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think Malone's a lifer and if it was me, I'd have one of Gagner or Griffith there, Griffith if I had my choice. I'd opt for the veteran/good center over Griffith, but for the first time in a while, I think we're okay down the middle with Pedersen - Philp - Grubbe - and say, Malone. Not great, but okay.

I'm tired of the veteran lines though. I died a lil every time I say Caggiula - Pedersen - Griffith together.

Savoie - Pedersen - Bourgault
Tullio - Philp - Griffith
Caggiula - Grubbe - Petrov

Since we're talking about Bako futures, Petrov may be the most important prospect we have. Give him a Top-6 taste near the end of next season, keep him excited and content, and get the welcome mat out for Beryozkin and Yevseyev.
I still think that the Oilers would be wise to grab his buddy Brandon Coe from San Jose. Big RW with high end vision who really brought out Matvei's shot in his first season in NB. Spinning his wheels with the Barracuda.

Another Battalion draftee I'd keep an eye on is Tnias Mathurin. I'm not sure if the Wings have the space for him organizationally. But he's recently been tasked with shutting down a Sudbury top line of Dalibor Dvorsky, Quentin Musty and David Goyette and has put up a defensive clinic thus far. Missed a lot of time due to injury, but he's a mobile shutdown guy who looks very solid in his own end.

Last edited:
Reactions: OilynutEsquire

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
At this point, I think it'd be smarter to bring in a really good AHL veteran center to go with Pederson. It's pretty obvious none of the guys down there are going to be impact line drivers at the NHL level. Guys like Tullio and Bourgault have had more than month long stretches on the 1st line in Bako, so their results aren't due to a lack of ice time. Their ticket to the show will be as complementary wingers, so might as well develop them in that role.

I'd keep a guy like Malone around too. No doubt he's been a big influence on guys like Grubbe and Philp possibly becoming bottom six centers in the future.
It really comes down to how they think the year off is gonna affect Philp. He was really good for them as a rookie, finished third in team scoring for them that year. He’s also going to be 26 going into the season so he’s by no means a raw rookie coming out of junior. To me it’d make a lot of sense to pair him with a guy like Caggiula and then run with one of the younger guys on the right side with them.

I do agree on Malone though, as long as they keep him in a bottom 6 mentor style role. He seems to be a good leader for them down there and knows his role. I’m just really hoping they don’t keep putting a bunch of AAAA tweeners in front of the Borgault/Petrov/Savoie/Tullio types, especially with Stefan and Stonehouse turning pro next year. Gotta see what some of these guys can do, especially with three of those guys entering their third year in the AHL next year. Time to see what they’ve got sink or swim.

Reactions: fireantz

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Curious how Bakersfield making the playoffs impacts the guys we call up for the playoffs.

Sounded like Broberg was joining the team today, not sure if that changed.

Holloway already here, but I'm curious now about the others.

If Broberg indeed comes up that does leave us with 2 extra forward and 2 extra d-men, but do they want to add a goalie come playoff time as well?

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Curious how Bakersfield making the playoffs impacts the guys we call up for the playoffs.

Sounded like Broberg was joining the team today, not sure if that changed.

Holloway already here, but I'm curious now about the others.

If Broberg indeed comes up that does leave us with 2 extra forward and 2 extra d-men, but do they want to add a goalie come playoff time as well?

If we need them, they will be up with the big club. Otherwise they will play in the AHL playoffs until eliminated and possibly practice with us after.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I still think that the Oilers would be wise to grab his buddy Brandon Coe from San Jose. Big RW with high end vision who really brought out Matvei's shot in his first season in NB. Spinning his wheels with the Barracuda.

Another Battalion draftee I'd keep an eye on is Tnias Mathurin. I'm not sure if the Wings have the space for him organizationally. But he's recently been tasked with shutting down a Sudbury top line of Dalibor Dvorsky, Quentin Musty and David Goyette and has put up a defensive clinic thus far. Missed a lot of time due to injury, but he's a mobile shutdown guy who looks very solid in his own end.
Coe and Petrov were definitely dynamite together. A very poor mans version of Draisailt with McDavid. Petrov with Coe was a very good trigger man. Once Coe was gone his game changed a fair bit. It seemed he became more of a playmaker and a two way guy. I still like his potential. He could become a decent bottom six winger with some upside.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Coe and Petrov were definitely dynamite together. A very poor mans version of Draisailt with McDavid. Petrov with Coe was a very good trigger man. Once Coe was gone his game changed a fair bit. It seemed he became more of a playmaker and a two way guy. I still like his potential. He could become a decent bottom six winger with some upside.
One of the parts of Matvei's game that has carried over to pro from what I've seen so far is how good of a transition forward he is. Quick, accurate passes off the rush and always making himself an easy target for the initial breakout pass.

His offense hasn't popped yet, and maybe a guy like Coe could coax it out of him. But I like what I've seen from Matvei this year in small samples. Hopefully the organization isn't down on him after this year.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One of the parts of Matvei's game that has carried over to pro from what I've seen so far is how good of a transition forward he is. Quick, accurate passes off the rush and always making himself an easy target for the initial breakout pass.

His offense hasn't popped yet, and maybe a guy like Coe could coax it out of him. But I like what I've seen from Matvei this year in small samples. Hopefully the organization isn't down on him after this year.
Pretty sure it was him who Chaulk didn't have the greatest comments about in the summer.

Hopefully after a year of pro he realizes goals aren't just going to come to you like Junior and you need to put some work in the summer

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Can't these guys play with anyone else other than their junior teammates? Seems to me, if they're worth their salt, they should be able to adjust with whoever they play with.

Hope they call up Gagner as soon as the NHL playoffs begin to have him with the boys
Would be a nice gesture, but I think they want some vet guys down on the farm to help them in the playoffs until they get bounced. Unless we sustain some injuries, god forbid.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Can't these guys play with anyone else other than their junior teammates? Seems to me, if they're worth their salt, they should be able to adjust with whoever they play with.
The Oilers need to find prospect depth however they can.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I get that, but my point is that just because a couple guys played together in junior and had some success, isn't necessarily a good reason to go out an get a player.
I view it as a good reason to do so but not the only one. With Lavoie likely graduating next year, there's an opening at RW and Coe brings the same kind of size/skill to the table with a bit more playmaking and footspeed available to him.

Petrov is a kid that came to Canada and took some time to acclimatize. Learned the language and the customs. Having some familiarity around him could do him well. And IMO it's a small gamble with potentially larger benefits.

I wouldn't say that Coe is a write-off himself at this point. San Jose just has a lot of guys hitting their farm system all at once.

Reactions: midnightcopper

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Congrats on a hell of Career, I could see him coaching in the future.

Even something in player development might be a good fit. So many prospects have had good things to say about the way he dealt with them. And not only forwards, Desharnais even talked at length about how much of an impact he had on his career.

Gonna be a big hole to fill for Bakersfield though. Getting those natural leaders that go about things the way he does aren't easy to come by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad